Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: wgn
Alias: CG6531, Dmel\CG6531, TNFR, Wgn, vader, wengen, CG6531-PA, CG6531-PB, TNF-alpha receptor, wgn-PA, wgn-PB
Species: fruit fly
- Fogarty C, Diwanji N, Lindblad J, Tare M, Amcheslavsky A, Makhijani K, et al. Extracellular Reactive Oxygen Species Drive Apoptosis-Induced Proliferation via Drosophila Macrophages. Curr Biol. 2016;26:575-84 pubmed publisher..These data illustrate a bidirectional cell-cell communication pathway with implication for tissue repair, regeneration, and cancer. ..
- Tang H, Liao H, Peng W, Lin H, Chen C, Chen G. Atg9 interacts with dTRAF2/TRAF6 to regulate oxidative stress-induced JNK activation and autophagy induction. Dev Cell. 2013;27:489-503 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate a dual role for Atg9 in the regulation of JNK signaling and autophagy under oxidative stress conditions. ..
- Marchal C, Vinatier G, Sanial M, Plessis A, Pret A, Limbourg Bouchon B, et al. The HIV-1 Vpu protein induces apoptosis in Drosophila via activation of JNK signaling. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34310 pubmed publisher..Our results in the fly thus provide the first functional evidence linking Vpu pro-apoptotic effects to activation of the conserved JNK pathway. ..
- Babcock D, Galko M. Two sides of the same coin no longer: genetic separation of nociceptive sensitization responses. Commun Integr Biol. 2009;2:517-9 pubmed..Factor-alpha (TNFalpha), Eiger, which is released from damaged epidermal cells and acts directly on its receptor, Wengen, located on nociceptive sensory neurons...
- Wu Y, Zhuang Y, Han M, Xu T, Deng K. Ras promotes cell survival by antagonizing both JNK and Hid signals in the Drosophila eye. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:53 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to its requirement for cell viability, Ras appears to mediate different biological roles depending on the developmental context and on the level of its expression. ..
- Lhocine N, Ribeiro P, Buchon N, Wepf A, Wilson R, Tenev T, et al. PIMS modulates immune tolerance by negatively regulating Drosophila innate immune signaling. Cell Host Microbe. 2008;4:147-58 pubmed publisher..Therefore, PIMS is required to establish immune tolerance to commensal bacteria and to maintain a balanced Imd response following exposure to bacterial infections. ..
- Lawen A. Apoptosis-an introduction. Bioessays. 2003;25:888-96 pubmed
- Alekseyenko A, Larschan E, Lai W, Park P, Kuroda M. High-resolution ChIP-chip analysis reveals that the Drosophila MSL complex selectively identifies active genes on the male X chromosome. Genes Dev. 2006;20:848-57 pubmed..Distinguishing expressed genes from the bulk of the genome is likely to be an important function common to many chromatin organizing and modifying activities. ..
- Babcock D, Landry C, Galko M. Cytokine signaling mediates UV-induced nociceptive sensitization in Drosophila larvae. Curr Biol. 2009;19:799-806 pubmed publisher..upon a tumor necrosis factor (TNF) homolog, Eiger, released from apoptotic epidermal cells, and the TNF receptor, Wengen, expressed on nociceptive sensory neurons...
- Aravind L, Dixit V, Koonin E. Apoptotic molecular machinery: vastly increased complexity in vertebrates revealed by genome comparisons. Science. 2001;291:1279-84 pubmed..A considerable repertoire of apoptotic protein domains was detected in Actinomycetes and Cyanobacteria, which suggests a major contribution of horizontal gene transfer to the early evolution of apoptosis. ..
- Varfolomeev E, Ashkenazi A. Tumor necrosis factor: an apoptosis JuNKie?. Cell. 2004;116:491-7 pubmed..Here, we review recent data on the role of JNK in the regulation of TNF-dependent apoptosis and discuss what is known so far about how cells decide whether to live or die in response to TNF. ..
- Agaisse H, Perrimon N. The roles of JAK/STAT signaling in Drosophila immune responses. Immunol Rev. 2004;198:72-82 pubmed
- Ejsmont R, Sarov M, Winkler S, Lipinski K, Tomancak P. A toolkit for high-throughput, cross-species gene engineering in Drosophila. Nat Methods. 2009;6:435-7 pubmed publisher..These libraries, in combination with recombineering technology, will be useful to rescue mutant phenotypes, allow imaging of gene products in living flies and enable systematic analysis and manipulation of gene activity across species. ..
- Kanda H, Igaki T, Okano H, Miura M. Conserved metabolic energy production pathways govern Eiger/TNF-induced nonapoptotic cell death. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:18977-82 pubmed publisher..This result suggests a link between sensitivity to cell death and metabolic activity in cancer. ..
- Kato K, Forero M, Fenton J, Hidalgo A. The glial regenerative response to central nervous system injury is enabled by pros-notch and pros-NF?B feedback. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001133 pubmed publisher..In the unharmed animal, it is most likely a homeostatic mechanism for structural robustness. This gene network may be of relevance to mammalian glia to promote repair upon CNS injury or disease. ..
- Ma X, Li W, Yu H, Yang Y, Li M, Xue L, et al. Bendless modulates JNK-mediated cell death and migration in Drosophila. Cell Death Differ. 2014;21:407-15 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Ben constitutes an essential component of the evolutionarily conserved TNF-JNK pathway that modulates cell death and invasion, tumor progression, stress response and lifespan in metazoans. ..
- Chabu C, Xu T. Oncogenic Ras stimulates Eiger/TNF exocytosis to promote growth. Development. 2014;141:4729-39 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight important cell-intrinsic and cell-extrinsic roles of exocytosis during oncogenic growth and provide a new class of synthetic suppressors for targeted therapy approaches. ..
- Andersen D, Colombani J, Palmerini V, Chakrabandhu K, Boone E, RÃ¶thlisberger M, et al. The Drosophila TNF receptor Grindelwald couples loss of cell polarity and neoplastic growth. Nature. 2015;522:482-6 pubmed publisher..grnd), a gene encoding a transmembrane protein with homology to members of the tumour necrosis factor receptor (TNFR) superfamily...
- Ghimire S, Kim M. Defensive Behavior against Noxious Heat Stimuli Is Declined with Aging Due to Decreased Pain-Associated Gene Expression in Drosophila. Biomol Ther (Seoul). 2015;23:290-5 pubmed publisher..However, we identified pain-related gene expression alteration with aging. We anticipate that our findings would help opening a new window onto developing the optimal pain treatment for the elderly. ..
- Keller L, Cheng L, Locke C, Muller M, Fetter R, Davis G. Glial-derived prodegenerative signaling in the Drosophila neuromuscular system. Neuron. 2011;72:760-75 pubmed publisher..that Drosophila TNF-? (eiger) is expressed in a subset of peripheral glia, and the TNF-? receptor (TNFR), Wengen, is expressed in motoneurons...
- Kelsey E, Luo X, Brückner K, Jasper H. Schnurri regulates hemocyte function to promote tissue recovery after DNA damage. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:1393-400 pubmed publisher..Our results identify a new Shn-regulated paracrine signaling interaction between damaged retinal cells and hemocytes that ensures recovery and homeostasis of the challenged tissue. ..
- Jacobsen T, Cain D, Paul L, Justiniano S, Alli A, Mullins J, et al. Functional analysis of genes differentially expressed in the Drosophila wing disc: role of transcripts enriched in the wing region. Genetics. 2006;174:1973-82 pubmed..However, there are both technical and biological limitations to this approach, including the efficacy of RNAi and the role that gene redundancy may play in masking phenotypes. ..