Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Wee1
Description: Wee1 kinase
Alias: CG4488, Dmel\CG4488, Dwee, Dwee1, WEE1, Wee, Wee 1, dWee1, dwee1, wee, wee1, Wee1 kinase, CG4488-PA, CG4488-PB, Wee1 ortholog, Wee1-PA, Wee1-PB, wee
Species: fruit fly
- Rickmyre J, Dasgupta S, Ooi D, Keel J, Lee E, Kirschner M, et al. The Drosophila homolog of MCPH1, a human microcephaly gene, is required for genomic stability in the early embryo. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3565-77 pubmed..Finally, brains of mcph1 adult male flies have defects in mushroom body structure, suggesting an evolutionarily conserved role for MCPH1 in brain development. ..
- Varadarajan R, Ayeni J, Jin Z, Homola E, Campbell S. Myt1 inhibition of Cyclin A/Cdk1 is essential for fusome integrity and premeiotic centriole engagement in Drosophila spermatocytes. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:2051-63 pubmed publisher..These myt1 defects can be suppressed by depletion of Cyclin A activity or ectopic expression of Wee1 (a partially redundant Cdk1 inhibitory kinase) and phenocopied by expression of a Cdk1F mutant defective for ..
- Oliveira D, Almeida F, O Grady P, Armella M, DeSalle R, Etges W. Monophyly, divergence times, and evolution of host plant use inferred from a revised phylogeny of the Drosophila repleta species group. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2012;64:533-44 pubmed publisher..Concordant with our proposed timing of host use shifts, these dates are consistent with the suggested times when the Opuntioideae originated in South America. We discuss the generally accepted South American origin of the repleta group. ..
- Buckalew R, Finley K, Tanda S, Young T. Evidence for internuclear signaling in drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2015;244:1014-21 pubmed publisher..Our comparison with a coupled oscillator model leads us to conclude that internuclear signaling must be of Response/Signaling type with a positive impulse. ..
- Vorbrüggen G, Onel S, Jackle H. Restricted expression and subnuclear localization of the Drosophila gene Dnop5, a member of the Nop/Sik family of the conserved rRNA processing factors. Mech Dev. 2000;90:305-8 pubmed..Maternal protein accumulates in the nucleolus of all cells in the early embryo, whereas DNop5 that is derived from zygotic mRNA, is restricted to the nuclei of muscles and midgut. ..
- Fichelson P, Gho M. Mother-daughter precursor cell fate transformation after Cdc2 down-regulation in the Drosophila bristle lineage. Dev Biol. 2004;276:367-77 pubmed..We show that down-regulation of Cdc2, by over-expressing Tribbles, Dwee1, and Dmyt1 (three negative regulators of Cdc2) or by using thermo-sensitive Cdc2 mutant flies, delayed pI mitosis, ..
- Gordon G, Zhang T, Zhao J, Du W. Deregulated G1-S control and energy stress contribute to the synthetic-lethal interactions between inactivation of RB and TSC1 or TSC2. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:2004-13 pubmed publisher..Coexpression of the G1-S inhibitor Dap, but not the G2-M inhibitor dWee1, decreases DNA damage and reduces cell death...
- Fasulo B, Koyama C, Yu K, Homola E, Hsieh T, Campbell S, et al. Chk1 and Wee1 kinases coordinate DNA replication, chromosome condensation, and anaphase entry. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:1047-57 pubmed publisher..These cell cycle delays are mediated by the cell cycle kinases chk1 and wee1. Inhibitors that cause severe defects in chromosome condensation and congression on the metaphase plate result in ..
- Campbell S, Sprenger F, Edgar B, O Farrell P. Drosophila Wee1 kinase rescues fission yeast from mitotic catastrophe and phosphorylates Drosophila Cdc2 in vitro. Mol Biol Cell. 1995;6:1333-47 pubmed..One of the genes identified in this screen, Drosophila wee1 (Dwee1), encodes a new Wee1 homologue...
- Stumpff J, Kellogg D, Krohne K, Su T. Drosophila Wee1 interacts with members of the gammaTURC and is required for proper mitotic-spindle morphogenesis and positioning. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1525-34 pubmed..We report here that Drosophila Wee1 (dwee1) mutant embryos show mitotic-spindle defects that include ectopic foci of microtubule organization, formation of ..
- Ninov N, Manjón C, Martin Blanco E. Dynamic control of cell cycle and growth coupling by ecdysone, EGFR, and PI3K signaling in Drosophila histoblasts. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e1000079 pubmed publisher..It sets the stage for the comprehensive understanding of the coordination of cell growth and cell-cycle progression in complex multicellular eukaryotes. ..
- Silva E, Lee B, Caceres L, Renouf D, Vilay B, Yu O, et al. A novel strategy for identifying mutations that sensitize Drosophila eye development to caffeine and hydroxyurea. Genome. 2006;49:1416-27 pubmed..We have mapped the cytological positions of huc(29D) and huc(95E) as a first step toward molecularly characterizing the relevant genes. ..
- Perkins L, Holderbaum L, Tao R, Hu Y, Sopko R, McCall K, et al. The Transgenic RNAi Project at Harvard Medical School: Resources and Validation. Genetics. 2015;201:843-52 pubmed publisher..flyrnai.org/RSVP.html), and stocks are available from three stock centers, the Bloomington Drosophila Stock Center (United States), National Institute of Genetics (Japan), and TsingHua Fly Center (China). ..
- Price D, Jin Z, Rabinovitch S, Campbell S. Ectopic expression of the Drosophila Cdk1 inhibitory kinases, Wee1 and Myt1, interferes with the second mitotic wave and disrupts pattern formation during eye development. Genetics. 2002;161:721-31 pubmed..Overexpression of Dwee1 or Dmyt1 during eye development generates a rough adult eye phenotype...
- Zielke N, Korzelius J, van Straaten M, Bender K, Schuhknecht G, Dutta D, et al. Fly-FUCCI: A versatile tool for studying cell proliferation in complex tissues. Cell Rep. 2014;7:588-98 pubmed publisher..The Fly-FUCCI system should be a valuable tool for visualizing cell-cycle activity during development, tissue homeostasis, and neoplastic growth. ..
- Abdu U, Brodsky M, Schupbach T. Activation of a meiotic checkpoint during Drosophila oogenesis regulates the translation of Gurken through Chk2/Mnk. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1645-51 pubmed..elegans. We demonstrate that the activation of the meiotic checkpoint affects Dwee1 localization and is associated with DmChk2-dependent posttranslational modification of Dwee1...
- Jin Z, Homola E, Tiong S, Campbell S. Drosophila myt1 is the major cdk1 inhibitory kinase for wing imaginal disc development. Genetics. 2008;180:2123-33 pubmed publisher..Drosophila has one representative of each: dMyt1 and dWee1. Although dWee1 and dMyt1 are not essential for zygotic viability, loss of both resulted in synthetic lethality, ..
- Di Talia S, Wieschaus E. Short-term integration of Cdc25 dynamics controls mitotic entry during Drosophila gastrulation. Dev Cell. 2012;22:763-74 pubmed publisher..of the positive feedback between Cdk1 and Cdc25(string) and of the double negative feedback between Cdk1 and Wee1. We propose that the properties of the mitotic switch are established by the out-of-equilibrium properties of the ..
- Cornwell W, Kaminski P, Jackson J. Identification of Drosophila Myt1 kinase and its role in Golgi during mitosis. Cell Signal. 2002;14:467-76 pubmed..In addition, loss of dMyt1 alone or in combination with Drosophila Wee1 (dWee1) resulted in a reduction of cells in G2/M phase and an increase in G1 phase cells...
- Hériché J, Ang D, Bier E, O Farrell P. Involvement of an SCFSlmb complex in timely elimination of E2F upon initiation of DNA replication in Drosophila. BMC Genet. 2003;4:9 pubmed..We have used genetic and physical interactions to identify the G1/S transcription factor E2F as an SCFSlmb target in Drosophila. These results argue that the SCFSlmb ubiquitin ligase directs E2F destruction in S phase. ..
- Farrell J, O Farrell P. From egg to gastrula: how the cell cycle is remodeled during the Drosophila mid-blastula transition. Annu Rev Genet. 2014;48:269-94 pubmed publisher..Finally, we consider how the elements of this program may be conserved or changed in other organisms. ..
- Vorbrüggen G, Onel S, Jackle H. Localized expression of the Drosophila gene Dxl6, a novel member of the serine/arginine rich (SR) family of splicing factors. Mech Dev. 2000;90:309-12 pubmed..Dxl6 is located on the second chromosome in a position next to hrp48 and Dwee1. Its intron contains Dnop5, a small nucleolar ribonucleoprotein (snoRNP) which is essential for rRNA-processing...
- Sopko R, Foos M, Vinayagam A, Zhai B, Binari R, Hu Y, et al. Combining genetic perturbations and proteomics to examine kinase-phosphatase networks in Drosophila embryos. Dev Cell. 2014;31:114-27 pubmed publisher..We validate this approach by providing auxiliary evidence for Wee kinase-directed regulation of the chromatin regulator Stonewall...