Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: wds
Description: will die slowly
Alias: CG17437, Dmel\CG17437, EG:BACR25B3.7, WD5, WDR5, WDS, Wds, l(1)16-94, l(1)3Ad, l(1)G0251, l(1)zw8, zw-8, zw8, will die slowly, CG17437-PA, CG17437-PB, lethal(1)3Ad, wds-PA, wds-PB
Species: fruit fly
- Piunti A, Shilatifard A. Epigenetic balance of gene expression by Polycomb and COMPASS families. Science. 2016;352:aad9780 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will discuss the latest findings regarding the properties of the PcG and COMPASS families and the insight they provide into the epigenetic control of transcription under physiological and pathological settings. ..
- Dias J, Van Nguyen N, Georgiev P, Gaub A, Brettschneider J, Cusack S, et al. Structural analysis of the KANSL1/WDR5/KANSL2 complex reveals that WDR5 is required for efficient assembly and chromatin targeting of the NSL complex. Genes Dev. 2014;28:929-42 pubmed publisher..within the complex and show that KANSL1 acts as a scaffold protein interacting with four other subunits, including WDR5, which in turn binds KANSL2...
- Li G, Zhou L. Genome-wide identification of chromatin transitional regions reveals diverse mechanisms defining the boundary of facultative heterochromatin. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67156 pubmed publisher..However, boundary-associated insulator binding sites are distinctively flanked by nucleosome destabilizing sequences, which correlates with significantly decreased nucleosome density and increased binding of co-factors. ..
- Cherry C, MATUNIS E. Epigenetic regulation of stem cell maintenance in the Drosophila testis via the nucleosome-remodeling factor NURF. Cell Stem Cell. 2010;6:557-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, local signals cooperate with specific chromatin-remodeling complexes in intact niches to coordinately regulate a common set of target genes to prevent premature stem cell differentiation. ..
- Nagy Z, Riss A, Fujiyama S, Krebs A, Orpinell M, Jansen P, et al. The metazoan ATAC and SAGA coactivator HAT complexes regulate different sets of inducible target genes. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2010;67:611-28 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, ATAC strongly influences the global phosphorylation level of histone H3S10, suggesting that in mammalian cells a cross-talk exists linking ATAC function to H3S10 phosphorylation. ..
- Guo J, Jin D. A genetic screen in Drosophila implicates Sex comb on midleg (Scm) in tissue overgrowth and mechanisms of Scm degradation by Wds. Mech Dev. 2015;136:1-7 pubmed publisher..b>Will die slowly (Wds) is another factor that regulates Drosophila development, and its homologous human protein, WD repeat ..
- Komori H, Xiao Q, Janssens D, Dou Y, Lee C. Trithorax maintains the functional heterogeneity of neural stem cells through the transcription factor buttonhead. elife. 2014;3: pubmed publisher..Thus, Trx instructs a type II neuroblast functional identity by epigenetically promoting Btd expression, thereby maintaining neuroblast functional heterogeneity. ..
- Montgomery E, Huang S, Langley C, Judd B. Chromosome rearrangement by ectopic recombination in Drosophila melanogaster: genome structure and evolution. Genetics. 1991;129:1085-98 pubmed
- Robbins L. Maternal-Zygotic Lethal Interactions in DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER : Zeste-White Region Single-Cistron Mutations. Genetics. 1983;103:633-48 pubmed..Lethal interactions were found for one or more alleles at 10 of the 13 loci. The implications of these observations with respect to gene regulation and developmental sequence are considered. ..
- Suganuma T, Mushegian A, Swanson S, Florens L, Washburn M, Workman J. A metazoan ATAC acetyltransferase subunit that regulates mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling is related to an ancient molybdopterin synthase component. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2012;11:90-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, intact and modified copies of the MoaE protein may have been conscripted to play a new, noncatalytic role in MAPK signaling in Metazoa as part of the ATAC complex. ..
- Nomura T, Kurokawa N. Comparative study on germ cell mutation induced by urethane (ethyl carbamate) gas and X-rays in Drosophila melanogaster. Jpn J Cancer Res. 1997;88:461-7 pubmed..Urethane-induced mutations were strikingly non-random with two hot spots at zw-1 and zw-2, whereas the distribution of X-ray-induced mutations was more nearly random. ..
- Hollmann M, Simmerl E, Schafer U, Schafer M. The essential Drosophila melanogaster gene wds (will die slowly) codes for a WD-repeat protein with seven repeats. Mol Genet Genomics. 2002;268:425-33 pubmedWe have isolated and characterized the will die slowly (wds) gene of Drosophila melanogaster, formerly known as l(1)zw8 or l(1)3Ad. The gene codes for a 2.0-kb RNA that is transcribed at all stages of development...
- Mohan M, Herz H, Smith E, Zhang Y, Jackson J, Washburn M, et al. The COMPASS family of H3K4 methylases in Drosophila. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:4310-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study provides a springboard for the functional dissection of the COMPASS family members and their role in the regulation of histone H3K4 methylation throughout development in Drosophila. ..
- Page S, Hawley R. The Drosophila meiotic mutant mei-352 is an allele of klp3A and reveals a role for a kinesin-like protein in crossover distribution. Genetics. 2005;170:1797-807 pubmed
- Garcia Bellido A, Robbins L. Viability of Female Germ-Line Cells Homozygous for Zygotic Lethals in DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER. Genetics. 1983;103:235-47 pubmed..The abundance of genes whose products are required for oogenesis, whose products are required in the oocyte, and whose activity is required during zygotic development is discussed. ..
- Feller C, Prestel M, Hartmann H, Straub T, Söding J, Becker P. The MOF-containing NSL complex associates globally with housekeeping genes, but activates only a defined subset. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:1509-22 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the regulatory capacity of the NSL complex is highly context-dependent. Activation by the NSL complex requires a particular promoter architecture defined by combinations of chromatin regulators and core promoter motifs. ..
- Demakov S, Vatolina T, Babenko V, Semeshin V, Belyaeva E, Zhimulev I. Protein composition of interband regions in polytene and cell line chromosomes of Drosophila melanogaster. BMC Genomics. 2011;12:566 pubmed publisher..of the "open" chromatin (RNA polymerase II, CHRIZ (CHRO), BEAF-32, BRE1, dMI-2, GAF, NURF301, WDS and TRX)...
- Suganuma T, Mushegian A, Swanson S, Abmayr S, Florens L, Washburn M, et al. The ATAC acetyltransferase complex coordinates MAP kinases to regulate JNK target genes. Cell. 2010;142:726-36 pubmed publisher..Thus, ATAC governs the transcriptional response to MAP kinase signaling by serving as both a coactivator of transcription and as a suppressor of upstream signaling. ..
- Thierry Mieg D. Paralog, a control mutant in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1982;100:209-37 pubmed..We interpret the data by postulating that the expression of sets of dispersed genes might be controlled by the local topology of the chromosome, itself constrained by pairing of dispersed repeated elements. We call the mutation paralog. ..
- Paradi E, Vogel E, Szilagyi E. Effect of storage and dose on MMS-induced deletions. Complementation analysis of X-chromosomal recessive lethals in the zeste-white and maroon-like regions of Drosophila melanogaster. Mutat Res. 1983;111:145-59 pubmed..An interesting aspect for further analysis is the apparent infrequency in the zeste-white region of alkylation-induced chromosomal breakage, as observed by various investigators for MMS, EMS and MNNG. ..
- Lin H, Wolfner M. Cloning and analysis of fs(1) Ya, a maternal effect gene required for the initiation of Drosophila embryogenesis. Mol Gen Genet. 1989;215:257-65 pubmed..The transcript is not detected in later stages of embryonic development. This expression pattern correlates closely with the genetic and developmental characteristics expected of the fs(1) Ya gene product. ..
- Goldberg M, Colvin R, Mellin A. The Drosophila zeste locus is nonessential. Genetics. 1989;123:145-55 pubmed..This suggests that the zeste protein normally is either a very weak transcription factor, or that its function can be substituted by that of other regulatory proteins. ..
- Shannon M, Kaufman T, Shen M, Judd B. Lethality patterns and morphology of selected lethal and semi-lethal mutations in the zeste-white region of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1972;72:615-38 pubmed..These results provide additional evidence that only one function is associated with each chromomere.-The results of the lethality pattern analysis are also compared with previous studies of lethal mutants of Drosophila. ..