Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: vig
Description: vasa intronic gene
Alias: BG:DS00929.13, CG4170, Dmel\CG4170, EP(2)0812, VIG, Vig, vasa intronic gene, CG4170-PA, CG4170-PB, CG4170-PC, CG4170-PD, vig-PA, vig-PB, vig-PC, vig-PD
Species: fruit fly
- Cai Y, Chia W, Yang X. A family of snail-related zinc finger proteins regulates two distinct and parallel mechanisms that mediate Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. EMBO J. 2001;20:1704-14 pubmed
- Obbard D, Gordon K, Buck A, Jiggins F. The evolution of RNAi as a defence against viruses and transposable elements. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009;364:99-115 pubmed publisher..Over longer time scales, key RNAi genes are repeatedly duplicated or lost across the metazoan phylogeny, with important implications for RNAi as an immune defence. ..
- Kolaczkowski B, Hupalo D, Kern A. Recurrent adaptation in RNA interference genes across the Drosophila phylogeny. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:1033-42 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest a predictive model of how selective pressures generated by evolutionary arms race scenarios may affect multiple genes across protein interaction networks and other biochemical pathways. ..
- Murchison E, Hannon G. miRNAs on the move: miRNA biogenesis and the RNAi machinery. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2004;16:223-9 pubmed..MicroRNA functional analyses and genetic and biochemical interrogation of components of the pathway are starting to provide a glimpse at the range of biological processes and phenomena regulated by RNA interference. ..
- Tinker R, Silver D, Montell D. Requirement for the vasa RNA helicase in gurken mRNA localization. Dev Biol. 1998;199:1-10 pubmed
- Shpiz S, Olovnikov I, Sergeeva A, Lavrov S, Abramov Y, Savitsky M, et al. Mechanism of the piRNA-mediated silencing of Drosophila telomeric retrotransposons. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:8703-11 pubmed publisher..Therefore piRNA-mediated transcriptional mode of silencing is involved in the control of retrotransposon expression in the Drosophila germline. ..
- Zhang F, Wang J, Xu J, Zhang Z, Koppetsch B, Schultz N, et al. UAP56 couples piRNA clusters to the perinuclear transposon silencing machinery. Cell. 2012;151:871-884 pubmed publisher..We therefore propose that UAP56 and Vasa function in a piRNA-processing compartment that spans the nuclear envelope. ..
- Tomari Y, Zamore P. Perspective: machines for RNAi. Genes Dev. 2005;19:517-29 pubmed..Here, we review our current understanding of how small RNAs are produced, how they are loaded into protein complexes, and how they repress gene expression. ..
- Thomsen S, Anders S, Janga S, Huber W, Alonso C. Genome-wide analysis of mRNA decay patterns during early Drosophila development. Genome Biol. 2010;11:R93 pubmed publisher..Our data also provide a valuable resource for further experimental and computational studies investigating the process of mRNA decay. ..
- Kim K, Lee Y, Carthew R. Conversion of pre-RISC to holo-RISC by Ago2 during assembly of RNAi complexes. RNA. 2007;13:22-9 pubmed..We have also identified a new intermediate complex in the RISC assembly pathway, pre-RISC, in which Ago2 is stably bound to double-stranded siRNA. ..
- de Wit E, Greil F, van Steensel B. Genome-wide HP1 binding in Drosophila: developmental plasticity and genomic targeting signals. Genome Res. 2005;15:1265-73 pubmed..These results provide insights into the mechanisms of HP1 targeting in the natural genomic context. ..
- Pham J, Pellino J, Lee Y, Carthew R, Sontheimer E. A Dicer-2-dependent 80s complex cleaves targeted mRNAs during RNAi in Drosophila. Cell. 2004;117:83-94 pubmed..Dcr-2 does not simply transfer siRNAs to a distinct effector complex, but rather assembles into RISC along with the siRNAs, indicating that its role extends beyond the initiation phase of RNAi. ..