Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: VGlut
Description: Vesicular glutamate transporter
Alias: CG9887, DV-Glut, DVGLUT, DVGluT, DVGlut, Dmel\CG9887, DvGluT, DvGlut, MFS11, VGLUT, VGluT, Vglut, dVGLUT, dVGlut, dvGluT, dvGlut, dvglut, vGLUT, vGluT, vGlut, vglut, vesicular glutamate transporter, CG9887-PA, CG9887-PB, CG9887-PC, VGlut-PA, VGlut-PB, VGlut-PC, drosophila vesicular glutamate transporter
Species: fruit fly
- Wu C, Daniels R, DiAntonio A. DFsn collaborates with Highwire to down-regulate the Wallenda/DLK kinase and restrain synaptic terminal growth. Neural Dev. 2007;2:16 pubmed..We propose that DFsn and Highwire participate in an evolutionarily conserved ubiquitin ligase complex whose substrates regulate the structure and function of synapses. ..
- Viquez N, Li C, Wairkar Y, DiAntonio A. The B' protein phosphatase 2A regulatory subunit well-rounded regulates synaptic growth and cytoskeletal stability at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. J Neurosci. 2006;26:9293-303 pubmed..Hence, wrd promotes the function of PP2A and is required for normal cytoskeletal organization, synaptic growth, and synaptic function at the Drosophila NMJ...
- Pack Chung E, Kurshan P, Dickman D, Schwarz T. A Drosophila kinesin required for synaptic bouton formation and synaptic vesicle transport. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:980-9 pubmed..Our data thus indicate that Imac transports components required for synaptic maturation and provide insight into presynaptic maturation as a process that can be differentiated from axon outgrowth and targeting. ..
- Viquez N, Füger P, Valakh V, Daniels R, Rasse T, DiAntonio A. PP2A and GSK-3beta act antagonistically to regulate active zone development. J Neurosci. 2009;29:11484-94 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that PP2A and GSK-3beta function antagonistically to control active zone development, providing a potential mechanism for regulating synaptic efficacy at a single release site. ..
- Koch I, Schwarz H, Beuchle D, Goellner B, Langegger M, Aberle H. Drosophila ankyrin 2 is required for synaptic stability. Neuron. 2008;58:210-22 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, Ank2 functions downstream of spectrin in the anchorage of synaptic microtubules, providing the cytoskeletal scaffold that is essential for synaptic stability. ..
- Daniels R, Collins C, Gelfand M, Dant J, Brooks E, Krantz D, et al. Increased expression of the Drosophila vesicular glutamate transporter leads to excess glutamate release and a compensatory decrease in quantal content. J Neurosci. 2004;24:10466-74 pubmed..investigate how VGLUT expression can regulate synaptic strength in vivo, we have identified the Drosophila vesicular glutamate transporter, which we name DVGLUT...
- Gao S, Takemura S, Ting C, Huang S, Lu Z, Luan H, et al. The neural substrate of spectral preference in Drosophila. Neuron. 2008;60:328-42 pubmed publisher..We propose that Dm8 sacrifices spatial resolution for sensitivity by relaying signals from multiple R7s to projection neurons, which then provide output to higher visual centers. ..
- Wairkar Y, Toda H, Mochizuki H, Furukubo Tokunaga K, Tomoda T, DiAntonio A. Unc-51 controls active zone density and protein composition by downregulating ERK signaling. J Neurosci. 2009;29:517-28 pubmed publisher..The Unc-51-dependent inhibition of ERK activity provides a potential mechanism for synapse-specific control of active zone protein composition and release probability. ..
- Mohrmann R, Matthies H, Woodruff E, Broadie K. Stoned B mediates sorting of integral synaptic vesicle proteins. Neuroscience. 2008;153:1048-63 pubmed publisher..In support of such role of STNB, synaptic levels of the vesicular glutamate transporter (vGLUT) and synaptotagmin-1 are strongly reduced with diminishing STNB function, while other synaptic ..
- Grosjean Y, Grillet M, Augustin H, Ferveur J, Featherstone D. A glial amino-acid transporter controls synapse strength and courtship in Drosophila. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:54-61 pubmed
- Xiong X, Wang X, Ewanek R, Bhat P, DiAntonio A, Collins C. Protein turnover of the Wallenda/DLK kinase regulates a retrograde response to axonal injury. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:211-23 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the regulation of Wnd protein turnover by Hiw can function as a damage surveillance mechanism for responding to axonal injury. ..
- Raghu S, Borst A. Candidate glutamatergic neurons in the visual system of Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19472 pubmed publisher..This classification of candidate glutamatergic neurons fosters the future neurogenetic dissection of information processing in circuits of the fly visual system. ..
- Baek M, Mann R. Lineage and birth date specify motor neuron targeting and dendritic architecture in adult Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6904-16 pubmed publisher..Thus, although Drosophila uses a lineage-based method to generate leg motor neurons, individual lineages are not dedicated to generate neurons that target a single leg segment or muscle type. ..
- Karuppudurai T, Lin T, Ting C, Pursley R, Melnattur K, Diao F, et al. A hard-wired glutamatergic circuit pools and relays UV signals to mediate spectral preference in Drosophila. Neuron. 2014;81:603-615 pubmed publisher..We conclude that R7sâ†’Dm8â†’Tm5c form a hard-wired glutamatergic circuit that mediates UV preference by pooling âˆ¼16 R7 signals for transfer to the lobula, a higher visual center. ..
- Johard H, Enell L, Gustafsson E, Trifilieff P, Veenstra J, Nassel D. Intrinsic neurons of Drosophila mushroom bodies express short neuropeptide F: relations to extrinsic neurons expressing different neurotransmitters. J Comp Neurol. 2008;507:1479-96 pubmed publisher..Attempts to identify other neurotransmitter components (including vesicular glutamate transporter) in Kenyon cells failed...
- Graf E, Daniels R, Burgess R, Schwarz T, DiAntonio A. Rab3 dynamically controls protein composition at active zones. Neuron. 2009;64:663-77 pubmed publisher..While previous studies of Rab3 have focused on its role in the synaptic vesicle cycle, these findings demonstrate an additional and unexpected function for Rab3 in the localization of presynaptic proteins to active zones. ..
- Sadaf S, Reddy O, Sane S, Hasan G. Neural control of wing coordination in flies. Curr Biol. 2015;25:80-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, independent central circuits function in the context of different natural behaviors to control the motor circuit for Drosophila wing movement. ..
- Cassar M, Issa A, Riemensperger T, Petitgas C, Rival T, Coulom H, et al. A dopamine receptor contributes to paraquat-induced neurotoxicity in Drosophila. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:197-212 pubmed publisher..This suggests a model for DA receptor-mediated potentiation of PQ-induced neurotoxicity. Further studies of DAMB signaling in Drosophila could have implications for better understanding DA-related neurodegenerative disorders in humans. ..
- Séjourné J, Plaçais P, Aso Y, Siwanowicz I, Trannoy S, Thoma V, et al. Mushroom body efferent neurons responsible for aversive olfactory memory retrieval in Drosophila. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:903-10 pubmed publisher..As the lateral horn has been implicated in innate responses to repellent odorants, we propose that MB-V2 neurons recruit the olfactory pathway involved in innate odor avoidance during memory retrieval. ..
- Tsurudome K, Tsang K, Liao E, Ball R, Penney J, Yang J, et al. The Drosophila miR-310 cluster negatively regulates synaptic strength at the neuromuscular junction. Neuron. 2010;68:879-93 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that repression of Khc-73 by miR-310-313 cluster influences the establishment of normal synaptic homeostasis. Our findings establish a role for miRNAs in the regulation of neurotransmitter release. ..
- Krantz D. Vesicular monogamy?. Neuron. 2006;49:1-2 pubmed..In this issue of Neuron, a study by Daniels et al. using the Drosophila neuromuscular junction and mutations of the vesicular glutamate transporter suggests that one transporter may suffice to fill each vesicle.
- Rawson J, Kreko T, Davison H, Mahoney R, Bokov A, Chang L, et al. Effects of diet on synaptic vesicle release in dynactin complex mutants: a mechanism for improved vitality during motor disease. Aging Cell. 2012;11:418-27 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal a novel presynaptic mechanism of diet that may contribute to the improved vigor observed in mutant flies raised on low calorie diet. ..
- Yu J, Kanai M, Demir E, Jefferis G, Dickson B. Cellular organization of the neural circuit that drives Drosophila courtship behavior. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1602-14 pubmed publisher..Sex-specific behavior may instead arise through dimorphic circuits in the brain and nerve cord that differentially couple sensory input to motor output. ..
- Banovic D, Khorramshahi O, Owald D, Wichmann C, Riedt T, Fouquet W, et al. Drosophila neuroligin 1 promotes growth and postsynaptic differentiation at glutamatergic neuromuscular junctions. Neuron. 2010;66:724-38 pubmed publisher..Instead, other signaling components are likely involved in DNlg1 transsynaptic functions, with essential interactions organized by the DNlg1 extracellular domain but also by the cytoplasmic domain. ..
- ..In this review, we examine the published literature on stoned and comment on the available data, conclusions from these analyses and how they may relate to alternative models of vesicle cycling. ..
- Chin A, Lin C, Fu T, Dickson B, Chiang A. Diversity and wiring variability of visual local neurons in the Drosophila medulla M6 stratum. J Comp Neurol. 2014;522:3795-816 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the Drosophila medulla M6 stratum contains diverse LNs that form repeating functional modules similar to those found in the vertebrate inner plexiform layer. ..
- Hartwig C, Worrell J, Levine R, Ramaswami M, Sanyal S. Normal dendrite growth in Drosophila motor neurons requires the AP-1 transcription factor. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:1225-42 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results show that AP-1 mediated transcription is important for dendrite growth, and that neural activity influences global dendritic growth through a gene-expression dependent mechanism gated by AP-1. ..
- Miskiewicz K, Jose L, Bento Abreu A, Fislage M, Taes I, Kasprowicz J, et al. ELP3 controls active zone morphology by acetylating the ELKS family member Bruchpilot. Neuron. 2011;72:776-88 pubmed publisher..We propose a model where ELP3-dependent acetylation of Bruchpilot at synapses regulates the structure of individual presynaptic densities and neurotransmitter release efficiency. ..
- Kim S, Wairkar Y, Daniels R, DiAntonio A. The novel endosomal membrane protein Ema interacts with the class C Vps-HOPS complex to promote endosomal maturation. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:717-34 pubmed publisher..Characterizing this novel gene family identifies a new component of the endosomal pathway and provides insights into class C Vps-HOPS complex function. ..
- Paranjpe P, Rodrigues V, Vijayraghavan K, Ramaswami M. Gustatory habituation in Drosophila relies on rutabaga (adenylate cyclase)-dependent plasticity of GABAergic inhibitory neurons. Learn Mem. 2012;19:627-35 pubmed publisher..We explain why these data provide significant and independent support for a general model in which inhibitory potentiation underlies habituation in multiple neural systems and species. ..
- Wu W, Cooper R. The regulation and packaging of synaptic vesicles as related to recruitment within glutamatergic synapses. Neuroscience. 2012;225:185-98 pubmed publisher..The packaging of glutamate was perturbed by blocking the vesicular glutamate transporter (VGlut) with bafilomycin A1...
- Castellanos M, Tang J, Allan D. Female-biased dimorphism underlies a female-specific role for post-embryonic Ilp7 neurons in Drosophila fertility. Development. 2013;140:3915-26 pubmed publisher..These studies provide an important counterpoint to studies of the development and function of male-biased neuronal dimorphism in Drosophila. ..
- Touma J, Weckerle F, Cleary M. Drosophila Polycomb complexes restrict neuroblast competence to generate motoneurons. Development. 2012;139:657-66 pubmed publisher..These findings support a model in which PRCs establish motoneuron-specific competence windows in neuroblasts that transition from motoneuron to interneuron production. ..
- Valakh V, Walker L, Skeath J, DiAntonio A. Loss of the spectraplakin short stop activates the DLK injury response pathway in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2013;33:17863-73 pubmed publisher..These findings support the model that DLK is activated by cytoskeletal instability, which is a shared feature of both spectraplakin mutants and injured axons...
- Sudhakaran I, Holohan E, Osman S, Rodrigues V, Vijayraghavan K, Ramaswami M. Plasticity of recurrent inhibition in the Drosophila antennal lobe. J Neurosci. 2012;32:7225-31 pubmed publisher..occludes further odor-induced habituation and similarly requires GABA(A)Rs and NMDARs in PNs, as well as VGLUT and cAMP signaling in the multiglomerular inhibitory local interneurons (LN1) type of LN...
- GaviÃ±o M, Ford K, Archila S, Davis G. Homeostatic synaptic depression is achieved through a regulated decrease in presynaptic calcium channel abundance. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Thus, we identify a novel mechanism of homeostatic synaptic plasticity and propose a model that can account for the observed bi-directional, homeostatic control of presynaptic neurotransmitter release. ..
- Bao H, Berlanga M, Xue M, Hapip S, Daniels R, Mendenhall J, et al. The atypical cadherin flamingo regulates synaptogenesis and helps prevent axonal and synaptic degeneration in Drosophila. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2007;34:662-78 pubmed..These findings shed new light on a possible role for Flamingo in progressive neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Natarajan R, Trivedi Vyas D, Wairkar Y. Tuberous sclerosis complex regulates Drosophila neuromuscular junction growth via the TORC2/Akt pathway. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:2010-23 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that at the Drosophila NMJ, TSC regulates synaptic growth via the TORC2-Akt pathway. ..
- Hu W, Wang T, Wang X, Han J. Ih channels control feedback regulation from amacrine cells to photoreceptors. PLoS Biol. 2015;13:e1002115 pubmed publisher..These results provide new mechanistic insight into how synaptic feedback regulation can participate in network processing by modulating neural information transfer and circuit excitability. ..
- Hebbar S, Hall R, Demski S, Subramanian A, Fernandes J. The adult abdominal neuromuscular junction of Drosophila: a model for synaptic plasticity. J Neurobiol. 2006;66:1140-55 pubmed..Our results indicate that both activity and FasII affect development at the adult abdominal NMJ in ways that are distinct from their larval and adult thoracic counterparts ..
- Grygoruk A, Fei H, Daniels R, Miller B, DiAntonio A, Krantz D. A tyrosine-based motif localizes a Drosophila vesicular transporter to synaptic vesicles in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:6867-78 pubmed publisher..trafficking domains in Drosophila orthologs of the vesicular monoamine and glutamate transporters, DVMAT-A and DVGLUT. We show that a tyrosine-based motif (YXXY) is important both for DVMAT-A internalization from the cell surface in ..
- Kim N, Marques G. The Ly6 neurotoxin-like molecule target of wit regulates spontaneous neurotransmitter release at the developing neuromuscular junction in Drosophila. Dev Neurobiol. 2012;72:1541-58 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that retrograde BMP signaling regulates spontaneous neurotransmitter release by activating the transcription of the Ly-6 gene twit. ..
- Das S, Sadanandappa M, Dervan A, Larkin A, Lee J, Sudhakaran I, et al. Plasticity of local GABAergic interneurons drives olfactory habituation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:E646-54 pubmed publisher..The need for the vesicular glutamate transporter in LNs indicates that a subset of these GABAergic neurons also releases glutamate...
- de Haro M, Al Ramahi I, Benito Sipos J, López Arias B, Dorado B, Veenstra J, et al. Detailed analysis of leucokinin-expressing neurons and their candidate functions in the Drosophila nervous system. Cell Tissue Res. 2010;339:321-36 pubmed publisher..Thus, the methods employed in our study can be used to identify individual neuropeptidergic neurons and thereby characterize functional cues or developmental transformations in their differentiation. ..
- MacNamee S, Liu K, Gerhard S, Tran C, Fetter R, Cardona A, et al. Astrocytic glutamate transport regulates a Drosophila CNS synapse that lacks astrocyte ensheathment. J Comp Neurol. 2016;524:1979-98 pubmed publisher..Thus, fly astrocytes can modulate fast synaptic transmission via neurotransmitter transport within these anatomical parameters. J. Comp. Neurol. 524:1979-1998, 2016. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Vanlandingham P, Barmchi M, ROYER S, Green R, Bao H, REIST N, et al. AP180 couples protein retrieval to clathrin-mediated endocytosis of synaptic vesicles. Traffic. 2014;15:433-50 pubmed publisher..Finally, AP180 co-immunoprecipitates with SV proteins, including the vesicular glutamate transporter and neuronal synaptobrevin...
- Cavanaugh D, Geratowski J, Wooltorton J, Spaethling J, Hector C, Zheng X, et al. Identification of a circadian output circuit for rest:activity rhythms in Drosophila. Cell. 2014;157:689-701 pubmed publisher..Notably, selective activation or ablation of just six DH44+ PI cells causes arrhythmicity. These findings delineate a circuit through which clock cells can modulate locomotor rhythms. ..
- Jayakumar S, Richhariya S, Reddy O, Texada M, Hasan G. Drosophila larval to pupal switch under nutrient stress requires IP3R/Ca(2+) signalling in glutamatergic interneurons. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Activity in this circuit is thus likely to be an adaptation that provides a layer of regulation to help surpass nutritional stress during development. ..
- Repnikova E, Koles K, Nakamura M, Pitts J, Li H, Ambavane A, et al. Sialyltransferase regulates nervous system function in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2010;30:6466-76 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data shed light on one of the most ancient functions of sialic acids in metazoan organisms and suggest a possibility that this function is evolutionarily conserved between flies and mammals. ..
- Tian X, Li J, Valakh V, DiAntonio A, Wu C. Drosophila Rae1 controls the abundance of the ubiquitin ligase Highwire in post-mitotic neurons. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:1267-75 pubmed publisher..These results describe a previously unknown mechanism that selectively controls Hiw protein abundance during synaptic development. ..
- Collins B, Kane E, Reeves D, Akabas M, Blau J. Balance of activity between LN(v)s and glutamatergic dorsal clock neurons promotes robust circadian rhythms in Drosophila. Neuron. 2012;74:706-18 pubmed publisher..Thus, the changing balance in activity between clock neurons with opposing behavioral effects generates robust circadian behavior and probably helps organisms transition between discrete behavioral states, such as sleep and wakefulness. ..
- Wu M, Joiner W, Dean T, Yue Z, Smith C, Chen D, et al. SLEEPLESS, a Ly-6/neurotoxin family member, regulates the levels, localization and activity of Shaker. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:69-75 pubmed publisher..SSS is predicted to belong to the Ly-6/neurotoxin superfamily, suggesting a mechanism for regulation of neuronal excitability by endogenous toxin-like molecules. ..
- Deivasigamani S, Basargekar A, Shweta K, Sonavane P, Ratnaparkhi G, Ratnaparkhi A. A Presynaptic Regulatory System Acts Transsynaptically via Mon1 to Regulate Glutamate Receptor Levels in Drosophila. Genetics. 2015;201:651-64 pubmed publisher..Ultrastructural analysis of mutant synapses reveals significantly smaller synaptic vesicles. Overexpression of vglut suppresses the defects in synaptic morphology and also downregulates GluRIIA levels in Dmon1 mutants, suggesting ..
- Bulat V, Rast M, Pielage J. Presynaptic CK2 promotes synapse organization and stability by targeting Ankyrin2. J Cell Biol. 2014;204:77-94 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies phosphorylation of structural synaptic components as a compelling mechanism to actively control the development and longevity of synaptic connections. ..
- Shim M, Kim J, Lee K, Jung H, Carlson B, Xu X, et al. l(2)01810 is a novel type of glutamate transporter that is responsible for megamitochondrial formation. Biochem J. 2011;439:277-86 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that l(2)01810 is a novel type of glutamate transporter and that glutamate uptake is a rate-limiting step for megamitochondrial formation. ..
- Li X, Kuromi H, Briggs L, Green D, Rocha J, Sweeney S, et al. Bicaudal-D binds clathrin heavy chain to promote its transport and augments synaptic vesicle recycling. EMBO J. 2010;29:992-1006 pubmed publisher..Our results implicate BicD as a new player in clathrin-associated trafficking processes and show a novel requirement for microtubule-based motor transport in the synaptic vesicle cycle. ..
- Takemura S, Karuppudurai T, Ting C, Lu Z, Lee C, Meinertzhagen I. Cholinergic circuits integrate neighboring visual signals in a Drosophila motion detection pathway. Curr Biol. 2011;21:2077-84 pubmed publisher..We propose that Tm2 integrates sign-conserving inputs from neighboring columns to mediate the detection of front-to-back motion generated during forward motion. ..
- Gerken A, Eller O, Hahn D, Morgan T. Constraints, independence, and evolution of thermal plasticity: probing genetic architecture of long- and short-term thermal acclimation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:4399-404 pubmed publisher..These results indicate substantial opportunity for short-term and long-term acclimation responses to evolve separately from each other and for short-term acclimation to evolve separately from basal thermotolerance. ..
- Kahsai L, Carlsson M, Winther A, Nässel D. Distribution of metabotropic receptors of serotonin, dopamine, GABA, glutamate, and short neuropeptide F in the central complex of Drosophila. Neuroscience. 2012;208:11-26 pubmed publisher..The information provided here, on receptor distribution, will be very useful for future analysis of functional circuits in the central complex, based on targeted interference with receptor expression. ..
- Diao F, Ironfield H, Luan H, Diao F, Shropshire W, Ewer J, et al. Plug-and-play genetic access to drosophila cell types using exchangeable exon cassettes. Cell Rep. 2015;10:1410-21 pubmed publisher..We also introduce an exchangeable, MiMIC-like Trojan exon construct that can be targeted to coding introns using the Crispr/Cas system. ..
- Sinakevitch I, Grau Y, Strausfeld N, Birman S. Dynamics of glutamatergic signaling in the mushroom body of young adult Drosophila. Neural Dev. 2010;5:10 pubmed publisher..In a Drosophila model of fragile X syndrome, the main cause of inherited mental retardation, treatment with metabotropic Glu receptor (mGluR) antagonists can rescue memory deficits and MB structural defects...
- Roy B, Jackson G. Interactions between Tau and ?-synuclein augment neurotoxicity in a Drosophila model of Parkinson's disease. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:3008-23 pubmed publisher..Our findings have important implications in understanding the cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying ?-Syn/Tau-mediated synaptic dysfunction, which likely arise in the early asymptomatic phase of sporadic PD. ..