Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: vas
Alias: BG:DS00929.14, CG3506, CG43081, CG46283, DmRH25, Dmel\CG46283, Dmel_CG33678, Dmel_CG3506, Dmel_CG43081, EP(2)0812, VAS, VASA, Vas, Vasa, cgt, fs(2)ltoRJ36, vasa, CG46283-PA, CG46283-PB, CG46283-PC, VASA, Vas, courgette, female sterile(2)ltoRJ36, no-relish, vas-PA, vas-PB, vas-PC
Species: fruit fly
Publications108 found, 100 shown here
- Sheng X, Posenau T, Gumulak Smith J, Matunis E, Van Doren M, Wawersik M. Jak-STAT regulation of male germline stem cell establishment during Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;334:335-44 pubmed publisher..These findings show that stem cell formation is closely linked to development of the stem cell niche, and suggest that Jak-STAT signaling is required for initial establishment of the GSC population in developing testes. ..
- Robine N, Lau N, Balla S, Jin Z, Okamura K, Kuramochi Miyagawa S, et al. A broadly conserved pathway generates 3'UTR-directed primary piRNAs. Curr Biol. 2009;19:2066-76 pubmed publisher..These findings strongly increase the breadth of Argonaute-mediated small RNA systems in metazoans. ..
- Zhang N, Zhang J, Cheng Y, Howard K. Identification and genetic analysis of wunen, a gene guiding Drosophila melanogaster germ cell migration. Genetics. 1996;143:1231-41 pubmed..To characterize this guidance factor, we have mapped wun to within 100 kb of cloned DNA. ..
- Watt F, Hogan B. Out of Eden: stem cells and their niches. Science. 2000;287:1427-30 pubmed..Certain aspects of the stem cell microenvironment, or niche, are conserved between tissues, and this can be exploited in the application of stem cells to tissue replacement therapy. ..
- Song X, Wong M, Kawase E, Xi R, Ding B, McCarthy J, et al. Bmp signals from niche cells directly repress transcription of a differentiation-promoting gene, bag of marbles, in germline stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2004;131:1353-64 pubmed..Thus, niche signals directly repress differentiation-promoting genes in stem cells in order to maintain stem cell self-renewal. ..
- Li Y, Minor N, Park J, McKearin D, Maines J. Bam and Bgcn antagonize Nanos-dependent germ-line stem cell maintenance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9304-9 pubmed publisher..These findings emphasize the importance of translational repression in balancing stem cell self-renewal and differentiation. ..
- Kugler J, Woo J, Oh B, Lasko P. Regulation of Drosophila vasa in vivo through paralogous cullin-RING E3 ligase specificity receptors. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1769-82 pubmed publisherIn Drosophila species, molecular asymmetries guiding embryonic development are established maternally. Vasa, a DEAD-box RNA helicase, accumulates in the posterior pole plasm, where it is required for embryonic germ cell specification...
- Rongo C, Lehmann R. Regulated synthesis, transport and assembly of the Drosophila germ plasm. Trends Genet. 1996;12:102-9 pubmed..These results imply that the limiting steps in the assembly of the germ plasm are localization of the OSK RNA and regulated synthesis of the OSK protein, encoded by oskar, which are components of the germ plasm. ..
- Hinson S, Nagoshi R. Regulatory and functional interactions between the somatic sex regulatory gene transformer and the germline genes ovo and ovarian tumor. Development. 1999;126:861-71 pubmed
- King F, Lin H. Somatic signaling mediated by fs(1)Yb is essential for germline stem cell maintenance during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 1999;126:1833-44 pubmed
- Carrera P, Johnstone O, Nakamura A, Casanova J, Jackle H, Lasko P. VASA mediates translation through interaction with a Drosophila yIF2 homolog. Mol Cell. 2000;5:181-7 pubmedThe Drosophila gene vasa (vas) encodes an RNA-binding protein required for embryonic patterning and germ cell specification. In vas mutants, translation of several germline mRNAs is reduced...
- Devenport D, Brown N. Morphogenesis in the absence of integrins: mutation of both Drosophila beta subunits prevents midgut migration. Development. 2004;131:5405-15 pubmed..Having generated the tools to eliminate integrin function completely, we confirm that Drosophila integrins do not control proliferation as they do in mammals, and have identified alphaPS3 as a heterodimeric partner for betanu. ..
- Deshpande G, Calhoun G, Schedl P. Drosophila argonaute-2 is required early in embryogenesis for the assembly of centric/centromeric heterochromatin, nuclear division, nuclear migration, and germ-cell formation. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1680-5 pubmed..The aberrations in the nuclear division cycle are correlated with defects in the formation of centric/centromeric heterochromatin and point to a failure in the assembly of functional centromeres. ..
- Wawersik M, Milutinovich A, Casper A, Matunis E, Williams B, Van Doren M. Somatic control of germline sexual development is mediated by the JAK/STAT pathway. Nature. 2005;436:563-7 pubmed..Our findings provide direct evidence that the JAK/STAT pathway mediates a key signal from the somatic gonad that regulates male germline sexual development. ..
- Siddall N, McLaughlin E, Marriner N, Hime G. The RNA-binding protein Musashi is required intrinsically to maintain stem cell identity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:8402-7 pubmed..We describe the complementary expression patterns of the murine Msi paralogues Msi1 and Msi2 during spermatogenesis, which support the idea of distinct, evolutionarily conserved roles of Msi. ..
- Vu W, Nuzhdin S. Genetic variation of copia suppression in Drosophila melanogaster. Heredity (Edinb). 2011;106:207-17 pubmed publisher..One out of the two large effect deficiencies on copia plasmid concentrations corresponded to the vasa gene, an important component of the nuage-piwi RNA TE-silencing machinery...
- Lasko P. RNA sorting in Drosophila oocytes and embryos. FASEB J. 1999;13:421-33 pubmed..Prospects for filling gaps in our knowledge about the mechanisms of localizing RNAs and the importance of RNA sorting in regulating gene expression are also explored. ..
- Shulman J, Benton R, St Johnston D. The Drosophila homolog of C. elegans PAR-1 organizes the oocyte cytoskeleton and directs oskar mRNA localization to the posterior pole. Cell. 2000;101:377-88 pubmed..These results identify a molecular parallel between anterior-posterior polarization in Drosophila and C. elegans. ..
- Waterbury J, Horabin J, Bopp D, Schedl P. Sex determination in the Drosophila germline is dictated by the sexual identity of the surrounding soma. Genetics. 2000;155:1741-56 pubmed..Finally, our studies call into question the idea that a cell-autonomous X chromosome counting system plays a central role in germline sex determination. ..
- Sengoku T, Nureki O, Nakamura A, Kobayashi S, Yokoyama S. Structural basis for RNA unwinding by the DEAD-box protein Drosophila Vasa. Cell. 2006;125:287-300 pubmed..We determined the 2.2 A resolution structure of the core of the Drosophila DEAD-box protein Vasa in complex with a single-stranded RNA and an ATP analog...
- Yamashita Y, Mahowald A, Perlin J, Fuller M. Asymmetric inheritance of mother versus daughter centrosome in stem cell division. Science. 2007;315:518-21 pubmed..The mother centrosome remains anchored near the niche while the daughter centrosome migrates to the opposite side of the cell before spindle formation. ..
- Hayashi Y, Kobayashi S, Nakato H. Drosophila glypicans regulate the germline stem cell niche. J Cell Biol. 2009;187:473-80 pubmed publisher..We propose that HSPGs define the physical space of the niche by serving as trans coreceptors, mediating short-range signaling by secreted factors. ..
- Singh S, Zheng Z, Wang H, Oh S, Chen X, Hou S. Competitiveness for the niche and mutual dependence of the germline and somatic stem cells in the Drosophila testis are regulated by the JAK/STAT signaling. J Cell Physiol. 2010;223:500-10 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that a single JAK/STAT signal from the niche orchestrate the competitive and dependent co-existence of GSCs and CPCs in the Drosophila testis niche. ..
- Pek J, Kai T. A role for vasa in regulating mitotic chromosome condensation in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2011;21:39-44 pubmed publisherb>Vasa (Vas) is a conserved DEAD-box RNA helicase expressed in germline cells that localizes to a characteristic perinuclear structure called nuage...
- Iida T, Kobayashi S. Delocalization of polar plasm components caused by grandchildless mutations, gs(1)N26 and gs(1)N441, in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Growth Differ. 2000;42:53-60 pubmed..Furthermore, it was shown that all of the other polar plasm components examined, namely Vasa protein, Germ cell-less protein, nanos mRNA and Polar granule component RNA start to be delocalized during the ..
- Megosh H, Cox D, Campbell C, Lin H. The role of PIWI and the miRNA machinery in Drosophila germline determination. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1884-94 pubmed..Depleting maternal PIWI does not affect OSK or VASA expression or abdominal patterning but leads to failure in pole-plasm maintenance and primordial-germ-cell (PGC) ..
- Arkov A, Wang J, Ramos A, Lehmann R. The role of Tudor domains in germline development and polar granule architecture. Development. 2006;133:4053-62 pubmed..Combining genetic analysis with structural modeling of specific Tudor domains, we propose that these domains serve as ;docking platforms' for polar granule assembly. ..
- Aruna S, Flores H, Barbash D. Reduced fertility of Drosophila melanogaster hybrid male rescue (Hmr) mutant females is partially complemented by Hmr orthologs from sibling species. Genetics. 2009;181:1437-50 pubmed publisher..We show that In(1)AB is mutant for Hmr function, likely due to a missense mutation in an evolutionarily conserved amino acid. Two independently discovered hybrid rescue mutations are therefore allelic. ..
- Issigonis M, Tulina N, de Cuevas M, Brawley C, Sandler L, Matunis E. JAK-STAT signal inhibition regulates competition in the Drosophila testis stem cell niche. Science. 2009;326:153-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, in niches housing multiple stem cell types, negative feedback loops can modulate signaling, preventing one stem cell population from outcompeting the other. ..
- Kirino Y, Vourekas A, Kim N, de Lima Alves F, Rappsilber J, Klein P, et al. Arginine methylation of vasa protein is conserved across phyla. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:8148-54 pubmed publisher..The RNA helicase Vasa is another essential protein in germline development...
- Insco M, Bailey A, Kim J, Olivares G, Wapinski O, Tam C, et al. A self-limiting switch based on translational control regulates the transition from proliferation to differentiation in an adult stem cell lineage. Cell Stem Cell. 2012;11:689-700 pubmed publisher..TRIM-NHL homologs across species facilitate the switch from proliferation to differentiation, suggesting a conserved developmentally programmed tumor suppressor mechanism. ..
- Lin H, Spradling A. A novel group of pumilio mutations affects the asymmetric division of germline stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 1997;124:2463-76 pubmed..We have also identified a second and novel gene, piwi, whose mutations abolish germline stem cell division. ..
- Munn K, Steward R. The shut-down gene of Drosophila melanogaster encodes a novel FK506-binding protein essential for the formation of germline cysts during oogenesis. Genetics. 2000;156:245-56 pubmed..In plants, high-molecular-weight immunophilins have been shown to regulate cell divisions in the root meristem in response to extracellular signals. Our results suggest that shut-down may regulate germ cell divisions in the germarium. ..
- Findley S, Tamanaha M, Clegg N, Ruohola Baker H. Maelstrom, a Drosophila spindle-class gene, encodes a protein that colocalizes with Vasa and RDE1/AGO1 homolog, Aubergine, in nuage. Development. 2003;130:859-71 pubmed..In many species examined, Vasa, a DEAD-box RNA helicase, is found in these morphologically distinct particles...
- Morris J, Lehmann R. Drosophila oogenesis: versatile spn doctors. Curr Biol. 1999;9:R55-8 pubmed..Genes of the spindle class, which encode double-strand break repair enzymes and RNA helicases, affect oocyte polarity and the decision whether to differentiate as an oocyte or a nurse cell. ..
- van Eeden F, Palacios I, Petronczki M, Weston M, St Johnston D. Barentsz is essential for the posterior localization of oskar mRNA and colocalizes with it to the posterior pole. J Cell Biol. 2001;154:511-23 pubmed..Thus, Barentsz is essential for the posterior localization of oskar mRNA and behaves as a specific component of the oskar RNA transport complex. ..
- Ahmed Y, Nouri A, Wieschaus E. Drosophila Apc1 and Apc2 regulate Wingless transduction throughout development. Development. 2002;129:1751-62 pubmed
- Shivdasani A, Ingham P. Regulation of stem cell maintenance and transit amplifying cell proliferation by tgf-beta signaling in Drosophila spermatogenesis. Curr Biol. 2003;13:2065-72 pubmed
- Hempel L, Oliver B. Sex-specific DoublesexM expression in subsets of Drosophila somatic gonad cells. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:113 pubmed..The continuous expression of DSX(M) in cells contacting the germline suggests an ongoing short-range influence of the somatic sex determination pathway on germ cell development. ..
- Inaba M, Yuan H, Salzmann V, Fuller M, Yamashita Y. E-cadherin is required for centrosome and spindle orientation in Drosophila male germline stem cells. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12473 pubmed publisher..We propose that E-cadherin orchestrates multiple aspects of stem cell behavior, including polarization of stem cells toward the stem cell-niche interface and adhesion of stem cells to the niche supporting cells. ..
- Kibanov M, Egorova K, Ryazansky S, Sokolova O, Kotov A, Olenkina O, et al. A novel organelle, the piNG-body, in the nuage of Drosophila male germ cells is associated with piRNA-mediated gene silencing. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3410-9 pubmed publisher..This body contains known ovarian nuage proteins, including Vasa, Aub, AGO3, Tud, Spn-E, Bel, Squ, and Cuff, as well as AGO1, the key component of the microRNA pathway...
- Kelleher E, Edelman N, Barbash D. Drosophila interspecific hybrids phenocopy piRNA-pathway mutants. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001428 pubmed publisher..We suggest that TE derepression in interspecific hybrids largely reflects adaptive divergence of piRNA pathway genes rather than species-specific differences in TE-derived piRNAs. ..
- Tetzlaff M, Jackle H, Pankratz M. Lack of Drosophila cytoskeletal tropomyosin affects head morphogenesis and the accumulation of oskar mRNA required for germ cell formation. EMBO J. 1996;15:1247-54 pubmed..These results indicate that head morphogenesis and the accumulation of high levels of oskar mRNA necessary for germ cell formation require tropomyosin-dependent cytoskeleton. ..
- Stein J, Broihier H, Moore L, Lehmann R. Slow as molasses is required for polarized membrane growth and germ cell migration in Drosophila. Development. 2002;129:3925-34 pubmed
- Casanueva M, Ferguson E. Germline stem cell number in the Drosophila ovary is regulated by redundant mechanisms that control Dpp signaling. Development. 2004;131:1881-90 pubmed
- Shigenobu S, Arita K, Kitadate Y, Noda C, Kobayashi S. Isolation of germline cells from Drosophila embryos by flow cytometry. Dev Growth Differ. 2006;48:49-57 pubmed..In order to fluorescently mark pole cells, we used an EGFP-vasa transgenic line that expresses green fluorescent protein (GFP) specifically and continuously in the germ line ..
- Gonsalvez G, Rajendra T, Tian L, Matera A. The Sm-protein methyltransferase, dart5, is essential for germ-cell specification and maintenance. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1077-89 pubmed..elegans show that Sm proteins are required for germ-granule localization, we propose that Sm protein methylation is a pivotal event in germ-cell development. ..
- Liu L, Qi H, Wang J, Lin H. PAPI, a novel TUDOR-domain protein, complexes with AGO3, ME31B and TRAL in the nuage to silence transposition. Development. 2011;138:1863-73 pubmed publisher..Overall, our study reveals a function of the nuage in safeguarding the germline genome against deleterious retrotransposition via the piRNA pathway. ..
- Klenov M, Sokolova O, Yakushev E, Stolyarenko A, Mikhaleva E, Lavrov S, et al. Separation of stem cell maintenance and transposon silencing functions of Piwi protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:18760-5 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the Piwi function in GSC self-renewal is independent of transposon repression and is normally realized in the cytoplasm of GSC niche cells. ..
- Bardsley A, McDonald K, Boswell R. Distribution of tudor protein in the Drosophila embryo suggests separation of functions based on site of localization. Development. 1993;119:207-19 pubmed..Our results suggest that tudor protein localized in the germ plasm is instrumental in germ cell determination, whereas nuclear-associated tudor protein is involved in determination of segmental pattern in the abdomen. ..
- Breitwieser W, Markussen F, Horstmann H, Ephrussi A. Oskar protein interaction with Vasa represents an essential step in polar granule assembly. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2179-88 pubmed..Genetics has revealed three additional genes, staufen, vasa, and tudor, that are also essential for pole plasm formation...
- Newmark P, Mohr S, Gong L, Boswell R. mago nashi mediates the posterior follicle cell-to-oocyte signal to organize axis formation in Drosophila. Development. 1997;124:3197-207 pubmed..In the absence of mago+ function during oogenesis, the anteroposterior and dorsoventral coordinates of the oocyte are not specified and the germ plasm fails to assemble. ..
- Hayashi Y, Hayashi M, Kobayashi S. Nanos suppresses somatic cell fate in Drosophila germ line. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:10338-42 pubmed..These pole cells expressed somatic markers ectopically and lost the germ-line marker Vasa. We further found that some Nos-negative pole cells were able to migrate into the gonads, but they failed to ..
- Sano H, Renault A, Lehmann R. Control of lateral migration and germ cell elimination by the Drosophila melanogaster lipid phosphate phosphatases Wunen and Wunen 2. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:675-83 pubmed..Our results suggest that expression of wun/wun-2 repellents along the migratory paths provides faithful control over the sorting of PGCs into two gonads and eliminates PGCs left in the middle of the embryo. ..
- Hashiyama K, Shigenobu S, Kobayashi S. Expression of genes involved in sumoylation in the Drosophila germline. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:50-3 pubmed publisher..Given that a large fraction of SUMO substrates are nuclear proteins, these data suggest that sumoylation is highly active in the germline. Our data provide a basis for understanding how sumoylation regulates germline development. ..
- Cheng J, Turkel N, Hemati N, Fuller M, Hunt A, Yamashita Y. Centrosome misorientation reduces stem cell division during ageing. Nature. 2008;456:599-604 pubmed publisher..We also show that some of the misoriented GSCs probably originate from dedifferentiation of spermatogonia. ..
- Zamparini A, Davis M, Malone C, Vieira E, Zavadil J, Sachidanandam R, et al. Vreteno, a gonad-specific protein, is essential for germline development and primary piRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2011;138:4039-50 pubmed publisher..We propose that Vret plays an essential role in transposon regulation at an early stage of primary piRNA processing. ..
- Wilsch Bräuninger M, Schwarz H, Nusslein Volhard C. A sponge-like structure involved in the association and transport of maternal products during Drosophila oogenesis. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:817-29 pubmed..We propose that the sponge bodies are structures that, by assembly and transport of included molecules or associated structures, are involved in localization of mRNAs in Drosophila oocytes. ..
- Van Doren M, Williamson A, Lehmann R. Regulation of zygotic gene expression in Drosophila primordial germ cells. Curr Biol. 1998;8:243-6 pubmed..Furthermore, once the germ cell genome is activated, we find that vasa is expressed specifically in germ cells...
- Harris A, Macdonald P. Aubergine encodes a Drosophila polar granule component required for pole cell formation and related to eIF2C. Development. 2001;128:2823-32 pubmed..Unlike two other known polar granule components, Vasa and Oskar, Aubergine remains cytoplasmic after pole cell formation, suggesting that the roles of these proteins ..
- Deshpande G, Swanhart L, Chiang P, Schedl P. Hedgehog signaling in germ cell migration. Cell. 2001;106:759-69 pubmed..Misexpression of hh in the soma induces germ cells to migrate to inappropriate locations. Conversely, cell-autonomous components of the hh pathway appear to be required in the germline for proper germ cell migration. ..
- Sano H, Mukai M, Kobayashi S. Maternal Nanos and Pumilio regulate zygotic vasa expression autonomously in the germ-line progenitors of Drosophila melanogaster embryos. Dev Growth Differ. 2001;43:545-52 pubmedb>vasa (vas) is transcribed earliest among reported genes expressed in the germ-line progenitors, or pole cells, in Drosophila melanogaster embryos...
- Coffman C, Strohm R, Oakley F, Yamada Y, Przychodzin D, Boswell R. Identification of X-linked genes required for migration and programmed cell death of Drosophila melanogaster germ cells. Genetics. 2002;162:273-84 pubmed..The outsiders gene is required zygotically. In outsiders mutant embryos, the appropriate number of germ cells is incorporated into the gonad, but germ cells ectopic to the gonad persist. ..
- Li M, Alls J, Avancini R, Koo K, Godt D. The large Maf factor Traffic Jam controls gonad morphogenesis in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2003;5:994-1000 pubmed..We propose that tj is a critical modulator of the adhesive properties of somatic cells, facilitating germline-soma interactions that are essential for germ cell differentiation. ..
- Strome S, Lehmann R. Germ versus soma decisions: lessons from flies and worms. Science. 2007;316:392-3 pubmed
- Nishida K, Saito K, Mori T, Kawamura Y, Nagami Okada T, Inagaki S, et al. Gene silencing mechanisms mediated by Aubergine piRNA complexes in Drosophila male gonad. RNA. 2007;13:1911-22 pubmed..The second most abundant class was made up of those from chromosome X and showed strong complementarity to vasa transcripts...
- Shpiz S, Kwon D, Uneva A, Kim M, Klenov M, Rozovsky Y, et al. Characterization of Drosophila telomeric retroelement TAHRE: transcription, transpositions, and RNAi-based regulation of expression. Mol Biol Evol. 2007;24:2535-45 pubmed..in ovaries is strongly upregulated owing to mutations in the RNA interference genes spn-E, aub, piwi, and vasa locus. spn-E mutations eliminate TAHRE-specific short RNAs in the ovaries...
- Kunwar P, Sano H, Renault A, Barbosa V, Fuse N, Lehmann R. Tre1 GPCR initiates germ cell transepithelial migration by regulating Drosophila melanogaster E-cadherin. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:157-68 pubmed publisher..Our findings therefore suggest a new mechanism for GPCR function that links cell polarity, modulation of cell adhesion, and invasion. ..
- Yan R, Thomas S, Tsai J, Yamada Y, McKee B. SOLO: a meiotic protein required for centromere cohesion, coorientation, and SMC1 localization in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:335-49 pubmed publisher..The solo mutant phenotypes and the localization patterns of SOLO and SMC1 indicate that they function together to maintain sister chromatid cohesion in Drosophila meiosis...
- Bergsten S, Gavis E. Role for mRNA localization in translational activation but not spatial restriction of nanos RNA. Development. 1999;126:659-69 pubmed..Finally, we propose that differences in the efficiencies with which different RNAs are localized result from the use of temporally distinct localization pathways during oogenesis. ..
- Hui Yong Loh S, Russell S. A Drosophila group E Sox gene is dynamically expressed in the embryonic alimentary canal. Mech Dev. 2000;93:185-8 pubmed..Our observations indicate that aspects of tissue-specific expression, as well as sequence, are conserved between vertebrate and invertebrate group E Sox proteins. ..
- Santos A, Lehmann R. Isoprenoids control germ cell migration downstream of HMGCoA reductase. Dev Cell. 2004;6:283-93 pubmed..The specificity and evolutionary conservation of the HMGCoAr pathway for germ cells suggest that an attractant common to invertebrates and vertebrates guides germ cells in early embryos. ..
- Cook H, Koppetsch B, Wu J, Theurkauf W. The Drosophila SDE3 homolog armitage is required for oskar mRNA silencing and embryonic axis specification. Cell. 2004;116:817-29 pubmed..We conclude that RNA silencing is essential for establishment of the cytoskeletal polarity that initiates embryonic axis specification and for translational control of oskar mRNA. ..
- Snee M, Macdonald P. Live imaging of nuage and polar granules: evidence against a precursor-product relationship and a novel role for Oskar in stabilization of polar granule components. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:2109-20 pubmed..known about the specific role of this organelle, but in Drosophila three nuage components have been identified, the Vasa, Tudor and Aubergine proteins...
- DeFalco T, Le Bras S, Van Doren M. Abdominal-B is essential for proper sexually dimorphic development of the Drosophila gonad. Mech Dev. 2004;121:1323-33 pubmed..Our results indicate that Abd-B acts at multiple levels to regulate gonad development and that Abd-B class homeotic genes are conserved factors in establishing gonad sexual dimorphism in diverse species. ..
- Klattenhoff C, Bratu D, McGinnis Schultz N, Koppetsch B, Cook H, Theurkauf W. Drosophila rasiRNA pathway mutations disrupt embryonic axis specification through activation of an ATR/Chk2 DNA damage response. Dev Cell. 2007;12:45-55 pubmed..We conclude that rasiRNA-based gene silencing is not required for axis specification, and that the critical developmental function for this pathway is to suppress DNA damage signaling in the germline. ..
- Kadyrova L, Habara Y, Lee T, Wharton R. Translational control of maternal Cyclin B mRNA by Nanos in the Drosophila germline. Development. 2007;134:1519-27 pubmed..We suggest that a requirement for two spatially restricted factors is a mechanism for ensuring that Cyclin B regulation is strictly limited to the germline. ..
- Yang L, Chen D, Duan R, Xia L, Wang J, Qurashi A, et al. Argonaute 1 regulates the fate of germline stem cells in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:4265-72 pubmed..Given that AGO1 serves as a key component of the miRNA pathway, we propose that an AGO1-dependent miRNA pathway probably plays an instructive role in repressing GSC/cystoblast differentiation. ..
- Zhao R, Xuan Y, Li X, Xi R. Age-related changes of germline stem cell activity, niche signaling activity and egg production in Drosophila. Aging Cell. 2008;7:344-54 pubmed publisher..We suggest that niche functional decay may be an important mechanism for stem cell aging and system failure. ..
- Leatherman J, Dinardo S. Zfh-1 controls somatic stem cell self-renewal in the Drosophila testis and nonautonomously influences germline stem cell self-renewal. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;3:44-54 pubmed publisher..In contrast, germline-intrinsic STAT activation was insufficient for GSC renewal. These data reveal unexpected complexity in cell interactions in the niche, implicating CPCs in GSC self-renewal. ..
- Pek J, Lim A, Kai T. Drosophila maelstrom ensures proper germline stem cell lineage differentiation by repressing microRNA-7. Dev Cell. 2009;17:417-24 pubmed publisher..We propose that Mael ensures proper differentiation in the GSC lineage by repressing miR-7. ..
- Liu H, Wang J, Huang Y, Li Z, Gong W, Lehmann R, et al. Structural basis for methylarginine-dependent recognition of Aubergine by Tudor. Genes Dev. 2010;24:1876-81 pubmed publisher..The structural information provides mechanistic insights into sDMA-dependent Piwi-Tudor interaction, and the recognition of sDMA by Tudor domains in general. ..
- Boyle M, Bonini N, DiNardo S. Expression and function of clift in the development of somatic gonadal precursors within the Drosophila mesoderm. Development. 1997;124:971-82 pubmed..Thus, these studies identify essential regulators of gonadal precursor specification and differentiation and reveal novel aspects of the general mechanism whereby distinct fates are allocated within the mesoderm. ..
- Van Doren M, Broihier H, Moore L, Lehmann R. HMG-CoA reductase guides migrating primordial germ cells. Nature. 1998;396:466-9 pubmed..We conclude that the regulated expression of HMG-CoA reductase has a critical developmental function in providing spatial information to guide migrating primordial germ cells. ..
- Oliver B, Pauli D. Suppression of distinct ovo phenotypes in the Drosophila female germline by maleless- and Sex-lethal. Dev Genet. 1998;23:335-46 pubmed..Thus, ovo+ is required for at least two distinct functions, one involving mle+, and one mediated by Sxl+ gene products. The existence of ovo+ functions independent of mle+ and Sxl+ is likely. ..
- Kennerdell J, Yamaguchi S, Carthew R. RNAi is activated during Drosophila oocyte maturation in a manner dependent on aubergine and spindle-E. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1884-9 pubmed
- Cox R, Spradling A. A Balbiani body and the fusome mediate mitochondrial inheritance during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2003;130:1579-90 pubmed..Our findings reveal new similarities between oogenesis in Drosophila and vertebrates, and support our hypothesis that developing oocytes contain specific mechanisms to ensure that germ plasm is endowed with highly functional organelles. ..