Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: valois
Alias: 38B.5, CG107278, CG10728, Dmel\CG10728, Vls, val, valois, CG10728-PA, vls-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Campos Ortega J. Asymmetic division: dynastic intricacies of neuroblast division. Curr Biol. 1997;7:R726-8 pubmed..The proteins encoded by the genes inscuteable, staufen and miranda are involved in the localisation of Prospero. ..
- Jack T, McGinnis W. Establishment of the Deformed expression stripe requires the combinatorial action of coordinate, gap and pair-rule proteins. EMBO J. 1990;9:1187-98 pubmed..In addition, the activation code for Deformed is redundant; other pair-rule genes in addition to even-skipped can apparently act in combination with bicoid and hunchback to activate Deformed. ..
- Wang C, Dickinson L, Lehmann R. Genetics of nanos localization in Drosophila. Dev Dyn. 1994;199:103-15 pubmed..Localization of nanos is not affected by mutations in bicoid or torso, confirming that the three maternal systems of anterior-posterior determination initially act independently. ..
- Masrouha N, Yang L, Hijal S, Larochelle S, Suter B. The Drosophila chk2 gene loki is essential for embryonic DNA double-strand-break checkpoints induced in S phase or G2. Genetics. 2003;163:973-82 pubmed..As mutations in human chk2 were linked to several cancers, these similarities point to the usefulness of the Drosophila model system. ..
- Wang C, Lehmann R. Nanos is the localized posterior determinant in Drosophila. Cell. 1991;66:637-47 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that a localized source of nos RNA is sufficient to specify abdominal segmentation and imply that other posterior group genes are required for localization, stabilization, or distribution of the nos gene product...
- Mahowald A. Germ plasm revisited and illuminated. Science. 1992;255:1216-7 pubmed
- Lehmann R, Nusslein Volhard C. The maternal gene nanos has a central role in posterior pattern formation of the Drosophila embryo. Development. 1991;112:679-91 pubmed..as well as cytoplasmic transfer experiments to order seven of the posterior group genes (nanos, pumilio, oskar, valois, vasa, staufen and tudor) into a functional pathway...
- Rongo C, Lehmann R. Regulated synthesis, transport and assembly of the Drosophila germ plasm. Trends Genet. 1996;12:102-9 pubmed..These results imply that the limiting steps in the assembly of the germ plasm are localization of the OSK RNA and regulated synthesis of the OSK protein, encoded by oskar, which are components of the germ plasm. ..
- St Johnston D, Beuchle D, Nusslein Volhard C. Staufen, a gene required to localize maternal RNAs in the Drosophila egg. Cell. 1991;66:51-63 pubmed..By the time the egg is laid, staufen protein is also concentrated at the anterior pole, in the same region as bicoid RNA. ..
- Olivieri D, Sykora M, Sachidanandam R, Mechtler K, Brennecke J. An in vivo RNAi assay identifies major genetic and cellular requirements for primary piRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2010;29:3301-17 pubmed publisher..Loss of Zucchini leads to an accumulation of Piwi and Armitage in Yb bodies, indicating that Yb bodies are sites of primary piRNA biogenesis. ..
- Jongens T, Ackerman L, Swedlow J, Jan L, Jan Y. Germ cell-less encodes a cell type-specific nuclear pore-associated protein and functions early in the germ-cell specification pathway of Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1994;8:2123-36 pubmed..We also present evidence indicating that the gcl protein associates specifically with the nuclear pores of the pole cell nuclei. This localization suggests a novel mechanism in the specification of cell fate for the germ line. ..
- Smith J, Wilson J, Macdonald P. Overexpression of oskar directs ectopic activation of nanos and presumptive pole cell formation in Drosophila embryos. Cell. 1992;70:849-59 pubmed..Strikingly, formation of these ectopic pole cells is enhanced in nanos mutants. This observation may reflect competition between nanos and the germ cell determinant for a shared and limiting precursor. ..
- Nüsslein Volhard C. The bicoid morphogen papers (I): account from CNV. Cell. 2004;116:S1-5, 2 p following S9 pubmed
- Lehmann R. Germ-plasm formation and germ-cell determination in Drosophila. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1992;2:543-9 pubmed..Several genes involved in this process have been identified. By studying the temporal and functional sequence of interactions between their products, these genes can be ordered into a pathway for germ-plasm formation. ..
- Marhold J, Papagiannouli F, Li M, Patel A, Mechler B. Requirements for scribble expression in newly formed gonads of Drosophila embryos. Gene Expr Patterns. 2003;3:143-6 pubmed..Scrib1 synthesis in mesodermal cells was independent of pole cells and occurred in agametic valois and capsuléen embryonic gonads...
- Kobayashi S, Amikura R, Okada M. Localization of mitochondrial large rRNA in germinal granules and the consequent segregation of germ line. Int J Dev Biol. 1994;38:193-9 pubmed
- Staeva Vieira E, Yoo S, Lehmann R. An essential role of DmRad51/SpnA in DNA repair and meiotic checkpoint control. EMBO J. 2003;22:5863-74 pubmed..We therefore propose that under normal conditions a second, Rad51-independent, repair pathway prevents the lethal effects of DNA damage. ..
- Schupbach T, Wieschaus E. Germline autonomy of maternal-effect mutations altering the embryonic body pattern of Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1986;113:443-8 pubmed..In all nine loci (torso, trunk, exuperantia, vasa, valois, staufen, tudor, dorsal, Toll) a mutant genotype in the germ cells is sufficient to produce all aspects of the ..
- Manseau L, Schupbach T. The egg came first, of course! Anterior-posterior pattern formation in Drosophila embryogenesis and oogenesis. Trends Genet. 1989;5:400-5 pubmed..The initial spatial localizations of the maternal organizing activities are established during oogenesis. After fertilization these activities regulate zygotic gene activity along the anterior-posterior axis of the egg. ..
- Roegiers F, Jan Y. Staufen: a common component of mRNA transport in oocytes and neurons?. Trends Cell Biol. 2000;10:220-4 pubmed..The Staufen granules colocalize with ribonuclear particles that transport mRNA to the dendrites. These findings might provide clues to a mechanism of mRNA transport conserved in mammalian neurons and Drosophila oogenesis. ..
- Sato K, Iwasaki Y, Shibuya A, Carninci P, Tsuchizawa Y, Ishizu H, et al. Krimper Enforces an Antisense Bias on piRNA Pools by Binding AGO3 in the Drosophila Germline. Mol Cell. 2015;59:553-63 pubmed publisher..Upon krimp-RNAi in OSCs, AGO3 loads with piRNAs, further showing the capacity of AGO3 for primary piRNA loading. We propose that Krimp enforces an antisense bias on piRNA pools by binding AGO3 and blocking its access to primary piRNAs. ..
- Gavis E, Lehmann R. Translational regulation of nanos by RNA localization. Nature. 1994;369:315-8 pubmed..Thus, RNA localization provides a novel mechanism for translational regulation. ..
- Anne J. Targeting and anchoring Tudor in the pole plasm of the Drosophila oocyte. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14362 pubmed publisher..Further studies indicated that Valois, which was previously shown to bind in vitro to Tudor, mediates the localization of Tudor in the pole plasm by ..
- Yassin A, Lienau E, Narechania A, DeSalle R. Catching the phylogenic history through the ontogenic hourglass: a phylogenomic analysis of Drosophila body segmentation genes. Evol Dev. 2010;12:288-95 pubmed publisher..We suggest that simultaneous character-based analyses give better macroevolutionary support to the hourglass model of the developmental constraints on genome evolution than pairwise phenetic comparisons. ..
- Raff J, Whitfield W, Glover D. Two distinct mechanisms localise cyclin B transcripts in syncytial Drosophila embryos. Development. 1990;110:1249-61 pubmed..The distribution pattern of the transcript at the posterior pole throughout embryogenesis and in a variety of mutant embryos suggests that this component is associated with polar granules. ..
- Ding D, Parkhurst S, Halsell S, Lipshitz H. Dynamic Hsp83 RNA localization during Drosophila oogenesis and embryogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:3773-81 pubmed..mutations that disrupt the posterior polar plasm and the polar granules--cappuccino, oskar, spire, staufen, tudor, valois, and vasa...
- Gonsalvez G, Rajendra T, Tian L, Matera A. The Sm-protein methyltransferase, dart5, is essential for germ-cell specification and maintenance. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1077-89 pubmed..Similarly, valois, a previously characterized grandchildless gene, is also required for sDMA modification of Sm proteins...
- Jacob Y, Sather S, Martin J, Ollo R. Analysis of Krüppel control elements reveals that localized expression results from the interaction of multiple subelements. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:5912-6 pubmed..Finally, a protein instability motif encoded in the second exon appears to be important for resetting the dynamic Kr pattern. ..
- Wilson J, Connell J, Schlenker J, Macdonald P. Novel genetic screen for genes involved in posterior body patterning in Drosophila. Dev Genet. 1996;19:199-209 pubmed..These defects are distinct from previously described perturbations in oskar activity and provide new insights into the regulation of oskar. ..
- Ephrussi A, Dickinson L, Lehmann R. Oskar organizes the germ plasm and directs localization of the posterior determinant nanos. Cell. 1991;66:37-50 pubmed..We propose that the pole plasm is assembled stepwise and that continued interaction among its components is required for germ cell determination. ..
- Anne J. Arginine methylation of SmB is required for Drosophila germ cell development. Development. 2010;137:2819-28 pubmed publisher..pole plasm localisation of SmB requires the methylation of arginine residues in its RG repeats by the Capsuléen-Valois methylosome complex...
- Nusslein Volhard C, Frohnhofer H, Lehmann R. Determination of anteroposterior polarity in Drosophila. Science. 1987;238:1675-81 pubmed..Mutants in these genes lack either the anterior or posterior part of the segmented pattern. The unsegmented terminal embryonic regions require a third class of genes and form independently of the anterior and posterior centers. ..
- Forrest K, Gavis E. Live imaging of endogenous RNA reveals a diffusion and entrapment mechanism for nanos mRNA localization in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1159-68 pubmed..This mechanism differs from directed transport-based localization mechanisms in its reliance on bulk movement of RNA. ..
- Ding D, Whittaker K, Lipshitz H. Mitochondrially encoded 16S large ribosomal RNA is concentrated in the posterior polar plasm of early Drosophila embryos but is not required for pole cell formation. Dev Biol. 1994;163:503-15 pubmed..These data argue against previous hypotheses that the 16S RNA serves an obligatory function in pole cell formation. ..
- Clark I, Giniger E, Ruohola Baker H, Jan L, Jan Y. Transient posterior localization of a kinesin fusion protein reflects anteroposterior polarity of the Drosophila oocyte. Curr Biol. 1994;4:289-300 pubmed..The genetic requirements for this localization and its sensitivity to colchicine, both of which are shared with the posterior transport of oskar mRNA and Staufen protein, suggest that similar mechanism may function in both processes. ..
- Arkov A, Ramos A. Building RNA-protein granules: insight from the germline. Trends Cell Biol. 2010;20:482-90 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a widespread use of several protein motifs in germline development and further our understanding of other ribonucleoprotein structures, for example, processing bodies and neuronal granules. ..
- Wilson J, Macdonald P. Formation of germ cells in Drosophila. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1993;3:562-5 pubmed..Although recent results largely support the notion of a simple pathway for assembly of pole plasm, complexities are becoming apparent. ..
- Wolfgang W, Forte M. Posterior localization of the Drosophila Gi alpha protein during early embryogenesis requires a subset of the posterior group genes. Int J Dev Biol. 1995;39:581-6 pubmed..By contrast, a subset of mutations which eliminate posterior structures, cappuccino, spire, staufen, mago nashi, valois, and oskar, prevented the posterior accumulation of Gi alpha...
- Bashirullah A, Halsell S, Cooperstock R, Kloc M, Karaiskakis A, Fisher W, et al. Joint action of two RNA degradation pathways controls the timing of maternal transcript elimination at the midblastula transition in Drosophila melanogaster. EMBO J. 1999;18:2610-20 pubmed..The second pathway is activated 2 h after fertilization and functions together with the maternal pathway to ensure that transcripts are degraded by the MBT. ..
- Oishi I, Sugiyama S, Otani H, Yamamura H, Nishida Y, Minami Y. A novel Drosophila nuclear protein serine/threonine kinase expressed in the germline during its establishment. Mech Dev. 1998;71:49-63 pubmed..The results are discussed in the light of recent findings concerning germ line establishment in Caenorhabditis and Drosophila. ..
- Cavey M, Hijal S, Zhang X, Suter B. Drosophila valois encodes a divergent WD protein that is required for Vasa localization and Oskar protein accumulation. Development. 2005;132:459-68 pubmedb>valois (vls) was identified as a posterior group gene in the initial screens for Drosophila maternal-effect lethal mutations. Despite its early genetic identification, it has not been characterized at the molecular level until now...