Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: v
Alias: 152559_at, CG2155, DmTDO, Dmel\CG2155, NP_511113, TDO, Ver, ver, vermilion, CG2155-PA, tryptophan 2,3-dioxygenase, v-PA, vermillion
Species: fruit fly
- Nivard M, Aguirrezabalaga I, Ballering L, Pastink A, Sierra L, Vogel E. Evaluation of the database on mutant frequencies and DNA sequence alterations of vermilion mutations induced in germ cells of Drosophila shows the importance of a neutral mutation detection system. Mutat Res. 1999;431:39-57 pubmedThe vermilion gene in Drosophila has extensively been used for the molecular analysis of mutations induced by chemicals in germ cells in vivo...
- Sierra L, Nivard M, Vogel E. Influence of nucleotide excision repair and of dose on the types of vermilion mutations induced by diethyl sulfate in postmeiotic male germ cells of Drosophila. Mutat Res. 1999;431:69-79 pubmed..Frequencies of mutations at multiple loci (recessive lethal mutations) and at the vermilion gene induced in NER+ conditions (cross NER+ x NER+) were compared with those fixed in a NER- background (NER- x ..
- Alvarez L, Comendador M, Sierra L. O-ethylthymidine adducts are the most relevant damages for mutation induced by N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea in female germ cells of Drosophila melanogaster. Environ Mol Mutagen. 2002;40:143-52 pubmed..ENU) was analyzed in female germ cells of Drosophila melanogaster using the recessive-lethal test and the vermilion system, which simultaneously generates information on induced mutation frequency and mutation spectrum...
- Fridell Y, Searles L. Vermilion as a small selectable marker gene for Drosophila transformation. Nucleic Acids Res. 1991;19:5082 pubmed
- Lefevre G. Salivary chromosome bands and the frequency of crossing over in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1971;67:497-513 pubmed
- Lloyd V, Ramaswami M, Kramer H. Not just pretty eyes: Drosophila eye-colour mutations and lysosomal delivery. Trends Cell Biol. 1998;8:257-9 pubmed..Thus, classical work describing more than 85 eye-colour mutations and their genetic interactions offers a remarkable, untapped resource for the genetic analysis of protein delivery to lysosomes. ..
- Zhimulev I, Pokholkova G, Bgatov A, Semeshin V, Belyaeva E. Fine cytogenetical analysis of the band 10A1-2 and the adjoining regions in the Drosophila melanogaster X chromosome. II. Genetical analysis. Chromosoma. 1981;82:25-40 pubmed..subunits: (i) silent DNA where no functions were found - at the distal edge of the band; (ii) and (iii) two genes: v and 1(1)BP4; (iv) silent DNA in middle of the band, (v) locus sev on the proximal edge of the band...
- Vogel E, Nivard M. Genotoxic effects of inhaled ethylene oxide, propylene oxide and butylene oxide on germ cells: sensitivity of genetic endpoints in relation to dose and repair status. Mutat Res. 1998;405:259-71 pubmed..These results provide another argument that DNA lesions generating base substitutions as opposed to those causing clastogenic damage may not be the same for these agents. ..
- Busseau I, Malinsky S, Balakireva M, Chaboissier M, Teninges D, Bucheton A. A genetically marked I element in Drosophila melanogaster can be mobilized when ORF2 is provided in trans. Genetics. 1998;148:267-75 pubmed..The vermilion marked IviP2 element was designed to allow easy phenotypical screening for retrotransposition events...
- McPeek M, Speed T. Modeling interference in genetic recombination. Genetics. 1995;139:1031-44 pubmed..We find that some biologically inspired point process models incorporating one or two additional parameters provide a dramatically better fit to the data than the usual "no-interference" Poisson model. ..
- Shapard P. A Physiological Study of the Vermilion Eye Color Mutants of Drosophila Melanogaster. Genetics. 1960;45:359-76 pubmed
- Begun D, Aquadro C. Molecular variation at the vermilion locus in geographically diverse populations of Drosophila melanogaster and D. simulans. Genetics. 1995;140:1019-32 pubmedWe surveyed nucleotide variation at vermilion in population samples of Drosophila melanogaster from Africa, Asia and the Americas to test the hypothesis that the vermilion gene was a target of balancing selection and to improve our ..
- Brinzer R, Henderson L, Marchiondo A, Woods D, Davies S, Dow J. Metabolomic profiling of permethrin-treated Drosophila melanogaster identifies a role for tryptophan catabolism in insecticide survival. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2015;67:74-86 pubmed publisher..The knockdown of some tryptophan catabolism genes (vermilion, cinnabar and CG6950) in the whole fly and in specific tissues including fat body, midgut and Malpighian tubules ..
- Begun D, Aquadro C. Levels of naturally occurring DNA polymorphism correlate with recombination rates in D. melanogaster. Nature. 1992;356:519-20 pubmed..Hitch-hiking thus seems to occur over a large fraction of the Drosophila genome and may constitute a major constraint on levels of genetic variation in nature. ..
- Navrotskaya V, Oxenkrug G, Vorobyova L, Summergrad P. Attenuation of high sucrose diet-induced insulin resistance in tryptophan 2,3-dioxygenase deficient Drosophila melanogaster vermilion mutants. Integr Obes Diabetes. 2015;1:93-95 pubmed..In insects TDO is encoded by vermilion gene. TDO is not active in vermilion mutants...
- Bazin C, Silber J. vestigial suppressor genes and resistance to aminopterin in Drosophila melanogaster. Heredity (Edinb). 1992;69 ( Pt 5):473-7 pubmed..The potential actions of suppressor genes on the vg mutant are discussed. ..
- Sierra L, Tosal L, Nivard M, Comendador M, Vogel E. The importance of distinct metabolites of N-nitrosodiethylamine for its in vivo mutagenic specificity. Mutat Res. 2001;483:95-104 pubmed..We have compared forward mutation frequencies at multiple (700) loci with the mutational spectrum induced at the vermilion gene of Drosophila, after exposure of post- and pre-meiotic male germ cells to NDEA...
- Ashburner M, Hoy M, Peloquin J. Prospects for the genetic transformation of arthropods. Insect Mol Biol. 1998;7:201-13 pubmed
- Thierry Mieg D. Paralog, a control mutant in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1982;100:209-37 pubmed..We interpret the data by postulating that the expression of sets of dispersed genes might be controlled by the local topology of the chromosome, itself constrained by pairing of dispersed repeated elements. We call the mutation paralog. ..
- Hamblin M, Aquadro C. Contrasting patterns of nucleotide sequence variation at the glucose dehydrogenase (Gld) locus in different populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1997;145:1053-62 pubmed..The difference in patterns of variation across these population samples suggests that selection on Gld (or the Gld region) has been different in the Chinese population than in the other three. ..
- Mela A, Tsitilou S, Yannopoulos G. Wiser (tsl): a recessive X-linked temperature-sensitive lethal mutation that affects the wings and the eyes in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetica. 2009;135:333-45 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that wiser is a vital gene for the development of Drosophila melanogaster which has no orthologs outside the Drosophilidae. ..
- Díaz Valdés N, Comendador M, Sierra L. Mus308 processes oxygen and nitrogen ethylation DNA damage in germ cells of Drosophila. J Nucleic Acids. 2010;2010: pubmed publisher..These results support the role of mus308 in a tolerance mechanism linked to a translesion synthesis pathway and also to the alternative end-joinig system. ..
- Greenleaf A, Weeks J, Voelker R, Ohnishi S, Dickson B. Genetic and biochemical characterization of mutants at an RNA polymerase II locus in D. melanogaster. Cell. 1980;21:785-92 pubmed..We conclude that C4 is an allele of the L5 locus and that this locus is most probably a structural gene for a subunit of RNA polymerase II. Some of the mutants at this locus display developmental abnormalities. ..
- Nivard M, Pastink A, Vogel E. Mutational spectra induced under distinct excision repair conditions by the 3 methylating agents N-methyl-N-nitrosourea, N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine and N-nitrosodimethylamine in postmeiotic male germ cells of Drosophila. Mutat Res. 1996;352:97-115 pubmedThis paper describes the analysis of mutations induced at the vermilion locus in postmeiotic male germ cell stages of Drosophila exposed to 3 different N-methyl-N-nitroso compounds: N-methyl-N-nitrosourea (MNU); N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-..
- Voelker R, Huang S, Wisely G, Sterling J, Bainbridge S, Hiraizumi K. Molecular and genetic organization of the suppressor of sable and minute (1) 1B region in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1989;122:625-42 pubmed..Minute (1) 1B has been provisionally identified as encoding a 3.5-kb message; lethal (1)1Bi encodes a 1-kb message; and lethal (1)1Bk encodes a 4-kb message. The possible functions of su(s) and M(1)1B are discussed. ..
- Zhang Y, Kong D, Reichl L, Vogt N, Wolf F, Großhans J. The glucosyltransferase Xiantuan of the endoplasmic reticulum specifically affects E-Cadherin expression and is required for gastrulation movements in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2014;390:208-20 pubmed publisher..As depletion of E-Cadherin by RNAi induces a similar cell intercalation defect, E-Cadherin may be the major xit target that is functionally relevant for germband extension. ..
- Yang H, Tanikawa A, Kondrashov A. Molecular nature of 11 spontaneous de novo mutations in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2001;157:1285-92 pubmed..melanogaster than in H. sapiens. If so, the per nucleotide mutation rate in D. melanogaster may be lower than in H. sapiens, even if their per locus mutation rates are similar. ..
- Ganetzky B, Wu C. Indirect Suppression Involving Behavioral Mutants with Altered Nerve Excitability in DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER. Genetics. 1982;100:597-614 pubmed..Genetic interactions of this type help reveal functional relationships between different behavioral mutants and suggest ways of isolating new mutants with altered excitable membranes. ..
- O Donnell A, Tiong S, Nash D, Clark D. The Drosophila melanogaster ade5 gene encodes a bifunctional enzyme for two steps in the de novo purine synthesis pathway. Genetics. 2000;154:1239-53 pubmed..Characterization of the auxotrophy and the finding that the hybrid dysgenesis-induced mutations all harbor P transposon sequences within the AIRc-SAICARs gene show that ade5 encodes AIRc-SAICARs. ..
- Lozovskaya E, Petrov D, Hartl D. A combined molecular and cytogenetic approach to genome evolution in Drosophila using large-fragment DNA cloning. Chromosoma. 1993;102:253-66 pubmed..melanogaster. The materials and methods described will make it possible to carry out a direct study of molecular evolution at the level of chromosome structure and organization as well as at the level of individual genes. ..
- Campesan S, Green E, Breda C, Sathyasaikumar K, Muchowski P, Schwarcz R, et al. The kynurenine pathway modulates neurodegeneration in a Drosophila model of Huntington's disease. Curr Biol. 2011;21:961-6 pubmed publisher..We also find that genetic inhibition of tryptophan 2,3-dioxygenase (TDO), the first and rate-limiting step in the pathway, leads to a similar neuroprotective shift toward KYNA synthesis...
- Nissani M. Cell lineage analysis of kynurenine producing organs in Drosophila melanogaster. Genet Res. 1975;26:63-72 pubmed
- Haddrill P, Thornton K, Charlesworth B, Andolfatto P. Multilocus patterns of nucleotide variability and the demographic and selection history of Drosophila melanogaster populations. Genome Res. 2005;15:790-9 pubmed..Demographic departures from equilibrium expectations in both ancestral and derived populations thus represent a serious challenge to detecting positive selection in genome-wide scans using current methodologies. ..
- Gordesky Gold B, Warrick J, Bixler A, Beasley J, Tompkins L. Hypomorphic mutations in the larval photokinesis A (lphA) gene have stage-specific effects on visual system function in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1995;139:1623-9 pubmed..These observations suggest that the lphA gene affects a larval-specific aspect of visual system function. ..
- Aguirrezabalaga I, Nivard M, Comendador M, Vogel E. The cross-linking agent hexamethylphosphoramide predominantly induces intra-locus and multi-locus deletions in postmeiotic germ cells of Drosophila. Genetics. 1995;139:649-58 pubmed..changes induced by the cross-linking agent hexamethylphosphoramide (HMPA) within and in the vicinity of the vermilion locus of Drosophila melanogaster that produce a vermilion mutant phenotype was analyzed after exposure of ..
- Bianciardi A, Boschi M, Swanson E, Belloni M, Robbins L. Ribosomal DNA organization before and after magnification in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2012;191:703-23 pubmed publisher..Thus, we can further restrict the possible mechanisms to two: replication in situ of an extended string of rDNA units or unequal exchange between sister chromatids. ..
- Schwartz Y, Demakov S, Zhimulev I. Polytene chromosome interband DNA is organized into nucleosomes. Mol Genet Genomics. 2001;265:311-5 pubmed..This finding strongly suggests that the difference in compaction between DNA in polytene chromosome bands and interbands results from differences that appear at the higher levels of chromatin organization. ..
- Haddad G, Sun Y, Wyman R, Xu T. Genetic basis of tolerance to O2 deprivation in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:10809-12 pubmed..These studies show that anoxic tolerance can be genetically dissected. ..
- Bhadra U, Pal Bhadra M, Birchler J. A trans-acting modifier causing extensive overexpression of genes in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1997;254:621-34 pubmed..in some developmental stages for five of the eleven genes tested (white, brown, scarlet, rudimentary and vermilion)...
- Handler A. A current perspective on insect gene transformation. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2001;31:111-28 pubmed
- Orihara M, Hosono C, Kojima T, Saigo K. Identification of engrailed promoter elements essential for interactions with a stripe enhancer in Drosophila embryos. Genes Cells. 1999;4:205-18 pubmed..Evidence was also obtained that indicated that not only enhancer but also promoter sequences were involved in the determination of the tissue-specificity of gene expression. ..
- Powers J, Eissenberg J. Overlapping domains of the heterochromatin-associated protein HP1 mediate nuclear localization and heterochromatin binding. J Cell Biol. 1993;120:291-9 pubmed..Both of these functional domains overlap an evolutionarily conserved COOH-terminal region. ..
- Thomas J, Wyman R. Mutations altering synaptic connectivity between identified neurons in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 1984;4:530-8 pubmed..One mutation, bendless, disrupts synaptic transmission between the GF and the TTM motor neuron. Another, gfA, disrupts the synaptic connections of the PSI, and a third mutation, passover, disrupts transmission in both pathways. ..
- Vogel E, Nivard M, Ballering L, Bartsch H, Barbin A, Nair J, et al. DNA damage and repair in mutagenesis and carcinogenesis: implications of structure-activity relationships for cross-species extrapolation. Mutat Res. 1996;353:177-218 pubmed..e., the vermilion gene of Drosophila, a plasmid system (pX2 assay) and the HPRT gene in cultured mammalian cells (CHO-9); and (3) ..
- Sturtevant A. Genetic Data on Drosophila Affinis, with a Discussion of the Relationships in the Subgenus Sophophora. Genetics. 1940;25:337-53 pubmed
- Schotta G, Reuter G. Controlled expression of tagged proteins in Drosophila using a new modular P-element vector system. Mol Gen Genet. 2000;262:916-20 pubmed..We found preferential association of the tagged SU(VAR)3-9 with centric heterochromatin. ..
- Vogel E, Nivard M. International Commission for Protection Against Environmental Mutagens and Carcinogens. The subtlety of alkylating agents in reactions with biological macromolecules. Mutat Res. 1994;305:13-32 pubmed..ii) A relatively low carcinogenic potential is associated with AAs of high Swain-Scott s values, typified by trimethyl phosphate, epichlorohydrin or methyl methanesulphonate.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS) ..
- Mason J, Champion L, Hook G. Germ-line effects of a mutator, mu2, in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1997;146:1381-97 pubmed..We propose that mu2 affects chromosomal structure during oogenesis, thereby modulating DNA repair. ..
- Mohler J. Developmental genetics of the Drosophila egg. I. Identification of 59 sex-linked cistrons with maternal effects on embryonic development. Genetics. 1977;85:259-72 pubmed..The mutant strains are potentially important material for the study of developing egg envelopes and for furthering the analysis of causation in embryogenesis and its origins in oogenesis. ..
- Fridell R, Pret A, Searles L. A retrotransposon 412 insertion within an exon of the Drosophila melanogaster vermilion gene is spliced from the precursor RNA. Genes Dev. 1990;4:559-66 pubmedThree alleles of the Drosophila melanogaster vermilion (v) gene are suppressed by recessive mutations at the suppressor of sable [su(s)], gene...
- Kondo S, Ueda R. Highly improved gene targeting by germline-specific Cas9 expression in Drosophila. Genetics. 2013;195:715-21 pubmed publisher..3-23%. Our method is readily scalable to high-throughput gene targeting, thereby accelerating comprehensive functional annotation of the Drosophila genome. ..
- Mason J, Green M, Shaw K, Boyd J. Genetic analysis of X-linked mutagen-sensitive mutants of Drosophila melanogaster. Mutat Res. 1981;81:329-43 pubmed..Cytogenetically mus(1)101D1 is between salivary chromosome bands 12A6,7 and 12D3, mus(1)103D1 is between bands 12A1,2 and 12A6,7 and mus(1)109A1 is in section 8F3--9A2. ..
- Rodrigues V, Siddiqi O. A gustatory mutant of Drosophila defective in pyranose receptors. Mol Gen Genet. 1981;181:406-8 pubmed..It is shown that the behavioural effects of this mutation are correlated with a loss of electrical responses in taste receptors. The mutation affects the chemoacceptors for pyranose sugars leaving the furanose acceptors intact. ..
- Rodrigues V, Sathe S, Pinto L, Balakrishnan R, Siddiqi O. Closely linked lesions in a region of the X chromosome affect central and peripheral steps in gustatory processing in Drosophila. Mol Gen Genet. 1991;226:265-76 pubmed..We describe the behavioral and electrophysiological properties of the mutants. These mutations affect peripheral receptor properties as well as more central processing steps in the gustatory pathway. ..
- Watanabe Y, Takahashi A, Itoh M, Takano Shimizu T. Molecular spectrum of spontaneous de novo mutations in male and female germline cells of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2009;181:1035-43 pubmed publisher..The high occurrence of NAHR that we observed has important consequences for genome evolution through the production of segmental duplications. ..
- Ren X, Yang Z, Xu J, Sun J, Mao D, Hu Y, et al. Enhanced specificity and efficiency of the CRISPR/Cas9 system with optimized sgRNA parameters in Drosophila. Cell Rep. 2014;9:1151-62 pubmed publisher..Our work demonstrates a comprehensive optimization of sgRNA and promises to vastly simplify CRISPR/Cas9 experiments in Drosophila. ..
- Barish N, Fox A. Immunogenetic Studies of Pseudoallelism in Drosophila Melanogaster. II. Antigenic Effects of the Vermilion Pseudoalleles. Genetics. 1956;41:45-57 pubmed
- Fridell Y, Searles L. In vivo transcriptional analysis of the TATA-less promoter of the Drosophila melanogaster vermilion gene. Mol Cell Biol. 1992;12:4571-7 pubmedTranscriptional regulation of the TATA-less promoter of the Drosophila melanogaster vermilion (v) gene was investigated...
- Gans M, Audit C, Masson M. Isolation and characterization of sex-linked female-sterile mutants in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1975;81:683-704 pubmed..The value of the mutants isolated for analysis of the complex processes leading to egg formation and initiation of development is discussed. ..
- Derome N, M tayer K, Montchamp Moreau C, Veuille M. Signature of selective sweep associated with the evolution of sex-ratio drive in Drosophila simulans. Genetics. 2004;166:1357-66 pubmed..This case identifies the causal selective force. It illustrates that all selective sweeps are not necessarily indicative of an increase in the average fitness of populations...
- Vogel E, Natarajan A. DNA damage and repair in somatic and germ cells in vivo. Mutat Res. 1995;330:183-208 pubmed..A number of these agents have been demonstrated to be among the most potent carcinogens in rodents.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS) ..
- Kokoza E, Kozlova T, Umbetova G, Dubrovskiĭ E, Pirrotta V, Zhimulev I. [Molecular-genetic analysis of of the band 10A1-2 in the Drosophila melanogaster chromosome X]. Genetika. 1990;26:1361-9 pubmed..regions of Drosophila melanogaster 10A1-2 as probes in some Diptera species, the 10A1-2 distal clone, carrying vermilion gene, in D...
- Beasley V, Dowse H. Suppression of Tryptophan 2,3-Dioxygenase Produces a Slow Heartbeat Phenotype in Drosophila melanogaster. J Exp Zool A Ecol Genet Physiol. 2016;325:651-664 pubmed publisher..The gene encoding the first step in this pathway, tryptophan 2,3-dioxegenase, is encoded by the gene vermilion, initially discovered in Drosophila...
- Beadle G, Ephrussi B. The Differentiation of Eye Pigments in Drosophila as Studied by Transplantation. Genetics. 1936;21:225-47 pubmed
- Woodard C, Huang T, Sun H, Helfand S, Carlson J. Genetic analysis of olfactory behavior in Drosophila: a new screen yields the ota mutants. Genetics. 1989;123:315-26 pubmed..Mutations representing each complementation group, as well as one of the dominant mutations, were mapped. For the mutants with defective visual system physiology, the visual defects were shown to cosegregate with olfactory phenotypes. ..
- Reaume A, Knecht D, Chovnick A. The rosy locus in Drosophila melanogaster: xanthine dehydrogenase and eye pigments. Genetics. 1991;129:1099-109 pubmed
- Navascués M, Legrand D, Campagne C, Cariou M, Depaulis F. Distinguishing migration from isolation using genes with intragenic recombination: detecting introgression in the Drosophila simulans species complex. BMC Evol Biol. 2014;14:89 pubmed publisher..The properties of these statistics make them especially suitable for analyzing high-throughput sequencing data or for their integration within the approximate Bayesian computation framework. ..
- Konopka R, Smith R, Orr D. Characterization of Andante, a new Drosophila clock mutant, and its interactions with other clock mutants. J Neurogenet. 1991;7:103-14 pubmed..Whereas Andante flies have a dusky wing phenotype, dusky flies do not have an Andante clock phenotype. ..
- Semeshin V, Demakov S, Peres Alonso M, Zhimulev I. [Formation of interdisks from the P-element DNA material in Drosophila polytene chromosomes]. Genetika. 1990;26:448-56 pubmed..In the third of the stocks analysed the P element was inserted in the region of vermilion gene which is situated in the large single band, 10A1-2 of the X-chromosome...
- Searles L, Voelker R. Molecular characterization of the Drosophila vermilion locus and its suppressible alleles. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1986;83:404-8 pubmedWe have cloned vermilion (v), one of the genes required for brown eye pigment synthesis in Drosophila, using a mutant (vH2a) "tagged" with the transposon P factor...
- Zhang Y, Roote J, Brogna S, Davis A, Barbash D, Nash D, et al. stress sensitive B encodes an adenine nucleotide translocase in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1999;153:891-903 pubmed..This hypothesis is not supported by our study of the ANT genes of D. melanogaster. ..
- Falk R, Schwartz S. MORGAN's hypothesis of the genetic control of development. Genetics. 1993;134:671-4 pubmed
- Pret A, Searles L. Splicing of retrotransposon insertions from transcripts of the Drosophila melanogaster vermilion gene in a revertant. Genetics. 1991;129:1137-45 pubmedA mutation of the Drosophila melanogaster vermilion (v) gene known as v1 is caused by the insertion of a 412 retrotransposon into the 5' untranslated region of the first exon...
- Morrell P, Toleno D, Lundy K, Clegg M. Estimating the contribution of mutation, recombination and gene conversion in the generation of haplotypic diversity. Genetics. 2006;173:1705-23 pubmed publisher..simulans, and Zea mays. In total, 13 of 27 loci show evidence of gene conversion. For these loci, gene conversion is estimated to contribute an average of twice as much as crossing over to total recombination...
- Mortin M, Lefevre G. An RNA polymerase II mutation in Drosophila melanogaster that mimics ultrabithorax. Chromosoma. 1981;82:237-47 pubmed
- Segarra C, Aguad M. Molecular organization of the X chromosome in different species of the obscura group of Drosophila. Genetics. 1992;130:513-21 pubmed..Eight of the regions include known genes from D. melanogaster (Pgd, zeste, white, cut, vermilion, RNA polymerase II 215, forked and suppressor of forked) and the ninth region (lambda DsubF6) has not yet been ..
- Zhao T, Heyduk T, Eissenberg J. Phosphorylation site mutations in heterochromatin protein 1 (HP1) reduce or eliminate silencing activity. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:9512-8 pubmed..These results suggest that dynamic phosphorylation/dephosphorylation regulates HP1 activity in heterochromatic silencing. ..
- Vogel E. Tests for recombinagens in somatic cells of Drosophila. Mutat Res. 1992;284:159-75 pubmed
- Miyashita N, Langley C. Restriction map polymorphism in the forked and vermilion regions of Drosophila melanogaster. Jpn J Genet. 1994;69:297-305 pubmedRestriction map polymorphism at two X linked foci, forked and vermilion of Drosophila melanogaster was studied in three natural populations. The estimates of nucleotide variation were theta = 0.003 and pi = 0...
- Vatolina T, Boldyreva L, Demakova O, Demakov S, Kokoza E, Semeshin V, et al. Identical functional organization of nonpolytene and polytene chromosomes in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25960 pubmed publisher..As appeared, origin recognition complexes are located almost totally in the interbands of chromosomes. ..
- Yampolsky L, Allen C, Shabalina S, Kondrashov A. Persistence time of loss-of-function mutations at nonessential loci affecting eye color in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2005;171:2133-8 pubmed..In both cases, deleterious alleles are apparently eliminated by selection against heterozygous individuals, which show no visible phenotypic differences from wild type. ..
- Tosal L, Comendador M, Sierra L. In vivo repair of ENU-induced oxygen alkylation damage by the nucleotide excision repair mechanism in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Genet Genomics. 2001;265:327-35 pubmed
- Rasooly R, New C, Zhang P, Hawley R, Baker B. The lethal(1)TW-6cs mutation of Drosophila melanogaster is a dominant antimorphic allele of nod and is associated with a single base change in the putative ATP-binding domain. Genetics. 1991;129:409-22 pubmed..We propose that the defective protein encoded by the nodDTW allele interferes with proper chromosome movement during both meiosis and mitosis, perhaps by binding irreversibly to microtubules...
- Eeken J, Sobels F, Hyland V, Schalet A. Distribution of MR-induced sex-linked recessive lethal mutations in Drosophila melanogaster. Mutat Res. 1985;150:261-75 pubmed
- Green M. Genetic instability in Drosophila melanogaster: Mutable miniature (mu). Mutat Res. 1975;29:77-84 pubmed..Reversions appear to be mutationally stable. The chronology of genetic events leading to the discovery of mu implicates, but does not prove, the insertion of a "foreign" DNA segment as the basis of mutability. ..
- Turnage M, Brewer Jensen P, Bai W, Searles L. Arginine-rich regions mediate the RNA binding and regulatory activities of the protein encoded by the Drosophila melanogaster suppressor of sable gene. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:8198-208 pubmed..Considering these and previous results, we propose that SU(S) binds to the 5' region of nascent transcripts and inhibits RNA production in a manner that can be overcome by splicing complex assembly. ..
- Rong Y, Golic K. Gene targeting by homologous recombination in Drosophila. Science. 2000;288:2013-8 pubmed..A method is described that enables analogous manipulations of the Drosophila genome. This technique may also be applicable to other organisms for which gene-targeting procedures do not yet exist. ..
- Grossbach U. Genes and development: an early chapter in German developmental biology. Int J Dev Biol. 1996;40:83-7 pubmed
- Pastink A, Vreeken C, Nivard M, Searles L, Vogel E. Sequence analysis of N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea-induced vermilion mutations in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1989;123:123-9 pubmedThe mutational specificity of N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea (ENU) was determined in Drosophila melanogaster using the vermilion locus as a target gene. 25 mutants (16 F1 and 9 F2 mutants) were cloned and sequenced...