Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Upf1
Alias: CG1559, Dm-Upf1, DmUpf1, Dmel\CG1559, UPF1, Upf1p, smg-2, upf1, Upf1, CG1559-PA, CG1559-PB, Upf1-PA, Upf1-PB, up-frameshift suppressor 1
Species: fruit fly
- Le Hir H, Gatfield D, Braun I, Forler D, Izaurralde E. The protein Mago provides a link between splicing and mRNA localization. EMBO Rep. 2001;2:1119-24 pubmed..Mago/Y14 heterodimers are essential in cultured Drosophila cells. Taken together, these results suggest that, in addition to its specialized function in mRNA localization, Mago plays an essential role in other steps of mRNA metabolism. ..
- Plocik A, Guthrie C. Diverse forms of RPS9 splicing are part of an evolving autoregulatory circuit. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002620 pubmed publisher..Thus, RPS9 orthologs appear to have independently evolved variations on a fundamental autoregulatory circuit. ..
- Gontijo A, Miguela V, Whiting M, Woodruff R, Dominguez M. Intron retention in the Drosophila melanogaster Rieske Iron Sulphur Protein gene generated a new protein. Nat Commun. 2011;2:323 pubmed publisher..Noble mRNA is shown to encode a bona fide protein that lacks an iron sulphur domain and localizes to mitochondria. Together, these results demonstrate the generation of a novel protein at a naturally selected site. ..
- Barbee S, Estes P, Cziko A, Hillebrand J, Luedeman R, Coller J, et al. Staufen- and FMRP-containing neuronal RNPs are structurally and functionally related to somatic P bodies. Neuron. 2006;52:997-1009 pubmed..including the RNA-degradative enzymes Dcp1p and Xrn1p/Pacman and crucial components of miRNA (argonaute), NMD (Upf1p), and general translational repression (Dhh1p/Me31B) pathways...
- Hase M, Yalamanchili P, Visa N. The Drosophila heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein M protein, HRP59, regulates alternative splicing and controls the production of its own mRNA. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:39135-41 pubmed..We propose that the ability of HRP59 to regulate the alternative splicing of its own pre-mRNA serves in a negative feedback loop that controls the levels of the HRP59 protein and maintains the homeostasis of the splicing environment. ..
- Rehwinkel J, Behm Ansmant I, Gatfield D, Izaurralde E. A crucial role for GW182 and the DCP1:DCP2 decapping complex in miRNA-mediated gene silencing. RNA. 2005;11:1640-7 pubmed..These include SMG5, SMG7, and UPF1, which function in nonsense-mediated mRNA decay (NMD), and the Argonaute proteins that are essential for RNA ..
- Bökel C, Prokop A, Brown N. Papillote and Piopio: Drosophila ZP-domain proteins required for cell adhesion to the apical extracellular matrix and microtubule organization. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:633-42 pubmed..Thus, ZP domain-containing proteins may have shared functions within the aECM, while also exhibiting specific interactions with the cytoskeleton. ..
- Valencia Sanchez M, Maquat L. An enemy within: fly reconnaissance deploys an endonuclease to destroy nonsense-containing mRNA. Trends Cell Biol. 2004;14:594-7 pubmed..Although NMD is conserved in all eukaryotes that have been examined, it can manifest mechanistic differences in different organisms. A recent study using Drosophila melanogaster describes a new mechanistic twist to NMD. ..
- Micale L, Muscarella L, Marzulli M, Augello B, Tritto P, D Agruma L, et al. VHL frameshift mutation as target of nonsense-mediated mRNA decay in Drosophila melanogaster and human HEK293 cell line. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2009;2009:860761 pubmed publisher..By generating the Drosophila UAS:Upf1(D45B) line we showed the possible involvement of NMD mechanism in the modulation of the c...
- Casadio A, Longman D, Hug N, Delavaine L, Vallejos Baier R, Alonso C, et al. Identification and characterization of novel factors that act in the nonsense-mediated mRNA decay pathway in nematodes, flies and mammals. EMBO Rep. 2015;16:71-8 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data identify novel NMD factors that are conserved throughout evolution, highlighting the complexity of the NMD pathway and suggesting that yet uncovered novel factors may act to regulate this process. ..
- Stoiber M, Olson S, May G, Duff M, Manent J, Obar R, et al. Extensive cross-regulation of post-transcriptional regulatory networks in Drosophila. Genome Res. 2015;25:1692-702 pubmed publisher..From the simultaneous acquisition and integrative analysis of protein and RNA constituents of RNPs, we identify extensive cross-regulatory and hierarchical interactions in post-transcriptional control. ..
- Gatfield D, Izaurralde E. Nonsense-mediated messenger RNA decay is initiated by endonucleolytic cleavage in Drosophila. Nature. 2004;429:575-8 pubmed..We conclude that, despite conservation in the NMD machinery, PTC-containing transcripts are degraded in Drosophila by a mechanism that differs considerably from those described in yeast and mammals. ..
- Chapin A, Hu H, Rynearson S, Hollien J, Yandell M, Metzstein M. In vivo determination of direct targets of the nonsense-mediated decay pathway in Drosophila. G3 (Bethesda). 2014;4:485-96 pubmed publisher..In addition, we investigated the role of NMD in suppressing transcriptional noise and found that although the transposable element Copia is up-regulated in NMD mutants, this effect appears to be indirect. ..