Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ubx
Alias: BX-C, Bxl, CG10388, Cbx, DUbx, Dm Ubx, DmUbx, Dmel\CG10388, UBX, UBx, Uab, Ubx1b, abx, bx[D], bxd, bxd[D], bxl, l(3)89Eb, pbx, ubx, ultrabithorax, CG10388-PA, CG10388-PB, CG10388-PC, CG10388-PD, CG10388-PE, CG10388-PF, Ubx-PA, Ubx-PB, Ubx-PC, Ubx-PD, Ubx-PE, Ubx-PF, anterobithorax, bithorax, bithorax complex, bithoraxoid, contrabithorax, haltere mimic, postbithorax, ultabithorax, ultarbithorax, ultraabdominal
Species: fruit fly
- Baek M, Enriquez J, Mann R. Dual role for Hox genes and Hox co-factors in conferring leg motoneuron survival and identity in Drosophila. Development. 2013;140:2027-38 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to being essential for survival, Hox and hth are required to specify accurate MN morphologies in a level-dependent manner. ..
- Mckay D, Lieb J. A common set of DNA regulatory elements shapes Drosophila appendages. Dev Cell. 2013;27:306-18 pubmed publisher..We propose that master regulators create morphologically distinct structures by differentially influencing the function of the same set of DNA regulatory modules. ..
- Cao R, Wang L, Wang H, Xia L, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, et al. Role of histone H3 lysine 27 methylation in Polycomb-group silencing. Science. 2002;298:1039-43 pubmed..assays, we show that H3-K27 methylation colocalizes with, and is dependent on, E(Z) binding at an Ultrabithorax (Ubx) Polycomb response element (PRE), and that this methylation correlates with Ubx repression...
- Chopra V, Hong J, Levine M. Regulation of Hox gene activity by transcriptional elongation in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2009;19:688-93 pubmed publisher..e., at the level of transcription elongation. Both Ultrabithorax (Ubx) and Abdominal-B (Abd-B) genes contain stalled or paused RNA polymerase II (Pol II) even when silent [3, ..
- Rogulja Ortmann A, Technau G. Multiple roles for Hox genes in segment-specific shaping of CNS lineages. Fly (Austin). 2008;2:316-9 pubmed
- Mohan M, Bartkuhn M, Herold M, Philippen A, Heinl N, Bardenhagen I, et al. The Drosophila insulator proteins CTCF and CP190 link enhancer blocking to body patterning. EMBO J. 2007;26:4203-14 pubmed..Analysis of the bithorax complex revealed that six of the borders between the parasegment specific regulatory domains are bound by dCTCF and ..
- Enriquez J, Boukhatmi H, Dubois L, Philippakis A, Bulyk M, Michelson A, et al. Multi-step control of muscle diversity by Hox proteins in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2010;137:457-66 pubmed publisher..Differential control of col transcription by the Antennapedia and Ultrabithorax/Abdominal-A paralogs is mediated by separate cis-regulatory modules (CRMs)...
- Busser B, Shokri L, Jaeger S, Gisselbrecht S, Singhania A, Berger M, et al. Molecular mechanism underlying the regulatory specificity of a Drosophila homeodomain protein that specifies myoblast identity. Development. 2012;139:1164-74 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these studies provide new insights into the roles of individual HD TFs in determining cellular identity, and suggest that the diversity of HD binding preferences can confer regulatory specificity. ..
- Hersh B, Carroll S. Direct regulation of knot gene expression by Ultrabithorax and the evolution of cis-regulatory elements in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:1567-77 pubmed..factor Cubitus interruptus (Ci), and a cluster of binding sites for repression by the Hox protein Ultrabithorax (UBX)...
- Bowman S, Deaton A, Domingues H, Wang P, Sadreyev R, Kingston R, et al. H3K27 modifications define segmental regulatory domains in the Drosophila bithorax complex. elife. 2014;3:e02833 pubmed publisherThe bithorax complex (BX-C) in Drosophila melanogaster is a cluster of homeotic genes that determine body segment identity. Expression of these genes is governed by cis-regulatory domains, one for each parasegment...
- Oktaba K, Gutierrez L, Gagneur J, Girardot C, Sengupta A, Furlong E, et al. Dynamic regulation by polycomb group protein complexes controls pattern formation and the cell cycle in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2008;15:877-89 pubmed publisher..Analysis of cell cycle regulators indicates that the PcG system also dynamically modulates the expression levels of certain genes, providing a possible explanation for the tumor phenotype of PcG mutants. ..
- Bejarano F, Busturia A. Function of the Trithorax-like gene during Drosophila development. Dev Biol. 2004;268:327-41 pubmed..We also suggest that GAGA factor may not have a dual activator/repressor function. Rather, Trithorax-like mutations may produce dual loss of activation and loss of repression effects. ..
- Gebelein B, Mckay D, Mann R. Direct integration of Hox and segmentation gene inputs during Drosophila development. Nature. 2004;431:653-9 pubmed..Our results suggest that these two classes of proteins may collaborate to directly control gene expression at many downstream target genes. ..
- Ryoo H, Mann R. The control of trunk Hox specificity and activity by Extradenticle. Genes Dev. 1999;13:1704-16 pubmed..This element, fkh[250(con)], is activated by Scr, Antennapedia (Antp), and Ultrabithorax (Ubx) but repressed by abdominal-A (abd-A)...
- DeFalco T, Le Bras S, Van Doren M. Abdominal-B is essential for proper sexually dimorphic development of the Drosophila gonad. Mech Dev. 2004;121:1323-33 pubmed..Our results indicate that Abd-B acts at multiple levels to regulate gonad development and that Abd-B class homeotic genes are conserved factors in establishing gonad sexual dimorphism in diverse species. ..
- Agelopoulos M, Mckay D, Mann R. Developmental regulation of chromatin conformation by Hox proteins in Drosophila. Cell Rep. 2012;1:350-9 pubmed..The pattern of binding by GAGA factor and the variant histone H2Av suggest that they play a role in the regulation of Dll chromatin conformation in expressing and nonexpressing cell types, respectively. ..
- Holohan E, Kwong C, Adryan B, Bartkuhn M, Herold M, Renkawitz R, et al. CTCF genomic binding sites in Drosophila and the organisation of the bithorax complex. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e112 pubmed..for CTCF has been identified in the Drosophila genome, the Fab-8 insulator in the Abdominal-B locus in the Bithorax complex (BX-C)...
- Merabet S, Pradel J, Graba Y. Getting a molecular grasp on Hox contextual activity. Trends Genet. 2005;21:477-80 pubmed..A recent study identified novel Hox molecular partners, whose properties set a conceptual framework to understand how Hox proteins use and integrate contextual information. ..
- Papp B, Muller J. Histone trimethylation and the maintenance of transcriptional ON and OFF states by trxG and PcG proteins. Genes Dev. 2006;20:2041-54 pubmed..To study the molecular basis of PcG/trxG control, we analyzed the chromatin of the HOX gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx) in Ubx(OFF)and Ubx(ON)cells purified from developing Drosophila...
- Saadaoui M, Merabet S, Litim Mecheri I, Arbeille E, Sambrani N, Damen W, et al. Selection of distinct Hox-Extradenticle interaction modes fine-tunes Hox protein activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:2276-81 pubmed publisher..Using naturally occurring variations and mutations in the Drosophila Ultrabithorax protein, we found that the linker region, a short domain separating the hexapeptide from the homeodomain, ..
- Merabet S, Kambris Z, Capovilla M, Bérenger H, Pradel J, Graba Y. The hexapeptide and linker regions of the AbdA Hox protein regulate its activating and repressive functions. Dev Cell. 2003;4:761-8 pubmed..Our in vivo data thus reveal functions not previously anticipated from in vitro analyses for the hexapeptide motif in the regulation of Hox activity. ..
- Makhijani K, Kalyani C, Srividya T, Shashidhara L. Modulation of Decapentaplegic gradient during haltere specification in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2007;302:243-55 pubmedSuppression of wing fate and specification of haltere fate in Drosophila by Ultrabithorax is a classical example of Hox regulation of serial homology...
- Ahn J, Yoo S, Park H, Jung K, Kim S, Jeon S. Drosophila castor is regulated negatively by the Ubx and abdA genes, but positively by the AbdB gene. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:1251-8 pubmed publisher..In this study, we investigated the regulation of temporal and spatial expression of cas by the bithorax complex genes...
- Gerasimova T, Byrd K, Corces V. A chromatin insulator determines the nuclear localization of DNA. Mol Cell. 2000;6:1025-35 pubmed..The results suggest that the nuclear organization imposed by the gypsy insulator on the chromatin fiber is important for gene expression. ..
- Hudry B, Viala S, Graba Y, Merabet S. Visualization of protein interactions in living Drosophila embryos by the bimolecular fluorescence complementation assay. BMC Biol. 2011;9:5 pubmed publisher..Our results establish the general suitability of BiFC for revealing and studying protein interactions in their physiological context during the rapid course of Drosophila embryonic development. ..
- Ebner A, Cabernard C, Affolter M, Merabet S. Recognition of distinct target sites by a unique Labial/Extradenticle/Homothorax complex. Development. 2005;132:1591-600 pubmed..Thus Lab, and most probably other Hox proteins, selects different DNA sequences in regulating downstream target genes. These observations have implications with regard to the current model of Hox-binding selectivity. ..
- Culi J, Aroca P, Modolell J, Mann R. jing is required for wing development and to establish the proximo-distal axis of the leg in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2006;173:255-66 pubmed..Together, our data suggest that jing encodes a transcriptional repressor that may participate in a subset of Pc-dependent activities during Drosophila appendage development. ..
- Percival Smith A, Teft W, Barta J. Tarsus determination in Drosophila melanogaster. Genome. 2005;48:712-21 pubmed..iii) Ectopic overexpression of ANTP, Labial (LAB), Deformed (DFD), SCR, Ultrabithorax (UBX), Abdominal-A (ABD-A), or Abdominal-B (ABD-B), using the dppGAL4 driver, resulted in arista-to-tarsus ..
- Mohd Sarip A, Cléard F, Mishra R, Karch F, Verrijzer C. Synergistic recognition of an epigenetic DNA element by Pleiohomeotic and a Polycomb core complex. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1755-60 pubmed..We termed this nucleoprotein complex silenceosome to reflect that the molecular principles underpinning its assemblage are surprisingly similar to those that make an enhanceosome. ..
- Hartl T, Smith H, Bosco G. Chromosome alignment and transvection are antagonized by condensin II. Science. 2008;322:1384-7 pubmed publisher..We propose that condensin II restricts trans-chromosomal interactions that affect transcription through its ability to spatially separate aligned interphase chromosomes. ..
- Robertson L, Bowling D, Mahaffey J, Imiolczyk B, Mahaffey J. An interactive network of zinc-finger proteins contributes to regionalization of the Drosophila embryo and establishes the domains of HOM-C protein function. Development. 2004;131:2781-9 pubmed..We conclude that a combination of regionalizing factors, in concert with the HOM-C proteins, promotes the specification of individual segment identity. ..
- Choo S, White R, Russell S. Genome-wide analysis of the binding of the Hox protein Ultrabithorax and the Hox cofactor Homothorax in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e14778 pubmed publisher..We report the identification of genome-wide binding sites for the Hox protein Ultrabithorax (Ubx) using a YFP-tagged Drosophila protein-trap line together with chromatin immunoprecipitation and ..
- Estacio Gómez A, Moris Sanz M, Schäfer A, Perea D, Herrero P, Diaz Benjumea F. Bithorax-complex genes sculpt the pattern of leucokinergic neurons in the Drosophila central nervous system. Development. 2013;140:2139-48 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to understand the mechanisms by which Hox genes of the Bithorax complex (Bx-C) of Drosophila act to define segmental differences in the ventral nerve cord of the central nervous ..
- Herz H, Madden L, Chen Z, Bolduc C, Buff E, Gupta R, et al. The H3K27me3 demethylase dUTX is a suppressor of Notch- and Rb-dependent tumors in Drosophila. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:2485-97 pubmed publisher..In summary, these data suggest that dUTX is a suppressor of Notch- and Rbf-dependent tumors in Drosophila melanogaster and may provide a model for UTX-dependent tumorigenesis in humans. ..
- González I, Aparicio R, Busturia A. Functional characterization of the dRYBP gene in Drosophila. Genetics. 2008;179:1373-88 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they also indicate that dRYBP participates in the control of cell proliferation and cell differentiation and we propose that its functional requirement may well depend on the robustness of the animal. ..
- Lee N, Zhang J, Klose R, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, Jones R, et al. The trithorax-group protein Lid is a histone H3 trimethyl-Lys4 demethylase. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2007;14:341-3 pubmed..Consistent with its genetic classification, Lid positively regulates Hox gene expression in S2 cells. ..
- Monier B, Astier M, Semeriva M, Perrin L. Steroid-dependent modification of Hox function drives myocyte reprogramming in the Drosophila heart. Development. 2005;132:5283-93 pubmedIn the Drosophila larval cardiac tube, aorta and heart differentiation are controlled by the Hox genes Ultrabithorax (Ubx) and abdominal A (abdA), respectively...
- Roch F, Akam M. Ultrabithorax and the control of cell morphology in Drosophila halteres. Development. 2000;127:97-107 pubmedThe Drosophila haltere is a much reduced and specialised hind wing, which functions as a balance organ. Ultrabithorax (Ubx) is the sole Hox gene responsible for the differential development of the fore-wing and haltere in Drosophila...
- Lovato T, Nguyen T, Molina M, Cripps R. The Hox gene abdominal-A specifies heart cell fate in the Drosophila dorsal vessel. Development. 2002;129:5019-27 pubmed..Other genes of the Bithorax Complex do not appear to participate in heart specification, although high level expression of Ultrabithorax is ..
- Tie F, Banerjee R, Stratton C, Prasad Sinha J, Stepanik V, Zlobin A, et al. CBP-mediated acetylation of histone H3 lysine 27 antagonizes Drosophila Polycomb silencing. Development. 2009;136:3131-41 pubmed publisher..We propose that TRX-dependent acetylation of H3K27 by CBP prevents H3K27me3 at Polycomb target genes and constitutes a key part of the molecular mechanism by which TRX antagonizes or prevents Polycomb silencing. ..
- Grimm C, de Ayala Alonso A, Rybin V, Steuerwald U, Ly Hartig N, Fischle W, et al. Structural and functional analyses of methyl-lysine binding by the malignant brain tumour repeat protein Sex comb on midleg. EMBO Rep. 2007;8:1031-7 pubmed..Functional analyses in Drosophila show that the MBT domain of Scm and its methyl-lysine-binding activity are required for repression of Hox genes. ..
- Sánchez Higueras C, Sotillos S, Castelli Gair Hombría J. Common origin of insect trachea and endocrine organs from a segmentally repeated precursor. Curr Biol. 2014;24:76-81 pubmed publisher..We propose that the arthropod ectodermal endocrine glands and respiratory organs arose through an extreme process of divergent evolution from a metameric repeated structure. ..
- Tyler D, Okamura K, Chung W, Hagen J, Berezikov E, Hannon G, et al. Functionally distinct regulatory RNAs generated by bidirectional transcription and processing of microRNA loci. Genes Dev. 2008;22:26-36 pubmed publisher..Ectopic mir-iab-8 can strongly repress the Hox genes Ultrabithorax and abdominal-A via extensive arrays of conserved target sites, and can induce a dramatic homeotic ..
- Margueron R, Justin N, Ohno K, Sharpe M, Son J, Drury W, et al. Role of the polycomb protein EED in the propagation of repressive histone marks. Nature. 2009;461:762-7 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a model for the propagation of the H3K27me3 mark that accounts for the maintenance of repressive chromatin domains and for the transmission of a histone modification from mother to daughter cells. ..
- Bender W, Akam M, Karch F, Beachy P, Peifer M, Spierer P, et al. Molecular Genetics of the Bithorax Complex in Drosophila melanogaster. Science. 1983;221:23-9 pubmedThe bithorax complex in Drosophila melanogaster is a cluster of homeotic genes that specify developmental pathways for many of the body segments of the fly...
- Prince F, Katsuyama T, Oshima Y, Plaza S, Resendez Perez D, Berry M, et al. The YPWM motif links Antennapedia to the basal transcriptional machinery. Development. 2008;135:1669-79 pubmed publisher..BIP2 is a TATA-binding protein associated factor (also known as dTAFII3) that links ANTP to the basal transcriptional machinery. ..
- Bender W, Hudson A. P element homing to the Drosophila bithorax complex. Development. 2000;127:3981-92 pubmedP elements containing a 7 kb DNA fragment from the middle of the Drosophila bithorax complex insert preferentially into the bithorax complex or into the adjacent chromosome regions...
- Hirth F, Loop T, Egger B, Miller D, Kaufman T, Reichert H. Functional equivalence of Hox gene products in the specification of the tritocerebrum during embryonic brain development of Drosophila. Development. 2001;128:4781-8 pubmed..This suggests that in embryonic brain development, differences in Hox gene action rely mainly on cis-acting regulatory elements and not on Hox protein specificity. ..
- Gaytán de Ayala Alonso A, Gutierrez L, Fritsch C, Papp B, Beuchle D, Muller J. A genetic screen identifies novel polycomb group genes in Drosophila. Genetics. 2007;176:2099-108 pubmed..82 mutants that show Polycomb-like phenotypes in clones in the adult epidermis and misexpression of the HOX gene Ubx in clones in the imaginal wing disc...
- Duncan D, Kiefel P, Duncan I. Control of the spineless antennal enhancer: direct repression of antennal target genes by Antennapedia. Dev Biol. 2010;347:82-91 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the function of Antennapedia in the leg is not to repress homothorax, as has been suggested, but to directly repress spineless and other antennal genes that would otherwise be activated within this ring. ..
- Kopp A, Duncan I. Anteroposterior patterning in adult abdominal segments of Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2002;242:15-30 pubmed..In addition, we describe the expression of the homeotic genes Ultrabithorax, abdominal-A, and Abdominal-B, which specify the fates of adult abdominal segments...
- Gebelein B, Mann R. Compartmental modulation of abdominal Hox expression by engrailed and sloppy-paired patterns the fly ectoderm. Dev Biol. 2007;308:593-605 pubmed..previous results to describe a genetic circuit that controls the differential expression of two Hox genes, Ultrabithorax (Ubx) and abdominal-A (abd-A), within the A and P compartments of the abdominal ectoderm...
- Schweinsberg S, Hagstrom K, Gohl D, Schedl P, Kumar R, Mishra R, et al. The enhancer-blocking activity of the Fab-7 boundary from the Drosophila bithorax complex requires GAGA-factor-binding sites. Genetics. 2004;168:1371-84 pubmed..activity of Frontabdominal-7 (Fab-7), a domain boundary element from the Drosophila melanogaster bithorax complex (BX-C)...
- Pallavi S, Shashidhara L. Egfr/Ras pathway mediates interactions between peripodial and disc proper cells in Drosophila wing discs. Development. 2003;130:4931-41 pubmed..These results on signaling between squamous and columnar epithelia are particularly significant in the context of in vitro studies using human cell lines that suggest a role for the Egfr/Ras pathway in metastasis and tumour progression. ..
- Walsh C, Carroll S. Collaboration between Smads and a Hox protein in target gene repression. Development. 2007;134:3585-92 pubmed publisher..genetically required for the activation of the spalt (sal) gene in the wing, collaborate with the Hox protein Ultrabithorax (Ubx) to directly repress sal in the haltere...
- Chauvet S, Merabet S, Bilder D, Scott M, Pradel J, Graba Y. Distinct hox protein sequences determine specificity in different tissues. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:4064-9 pubmed..Available genetic markers allow the regulatory effects of two Hox proteins, Abdominal-A (AbdA) and Ultrabithorax (Ubx), to be distinguished in the Drosophila embryonic epidermis and visceral mesoderm (VM)...
- Zaffran S, Kuchler A, Lee H, Frasch M. biniou (FoxF), a central component in a regulatory network controlling visceral mesoderm development and midgut morphogenesis in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2001;15:2900-15 pubmed
- De la Mata M, Alonso C, Kadener S, Fededa J, Blaustein M, Pelisch F, et al. A slow RNA polymerase II affects alternative splicing in vivo. Mol Cell. 2003;12:525-32 pubmed..Most importantly, resplicing of the Hox gene Ultrabithorax is stimulated in Drosophila embryos mutant for C4, which demonstrates the transcriptional control of ..
- Cléard F, Moshkin Y, Karch F, Maeda R. Probing long-distance regulatory interactions in the Drosophila melanogaster bithorax complex using Dam identification. Nat Genet. 2006;38:931-5 pubmedA cis-regulatory region of nearly 300 kb controls the expression of the three bithorax complex (BX-C) homeotic genes: Ubx, abd-A and Abd-B...
- Foronda D, Estrada B, de Navas L, Sánchez Herrero E. Requirement of Abdominal-A and Abdominal-B in the developing genitalia of Drosophila breaks the posterior downregulation rule. Development. 2006;133:117-27 pubmed..The relationship between Abd-B and abd-A in the female genital disc is opposite to that of the embryonic epidermis, and contravenes the rule that posteriorly expressed Hox genes downregulate more anterior ones. ..
- Birve A, Sengupta A, Beuchle D, Larsson J, Kennison J, Rasmuson Lestander A -, et al. Su(z)12, a novel Drosophila Polycomb group gene that is conserved in vertebrates and plants. Development. 2001;128:3371-9 pubmed..Notably, EMF2 is a repressor of floral homeotic genes. These results suggest that at least some of the regulatory machinery that controls homeotic gene expression is conserved between animals and plants. ..
- Greer A, Huang Z, Oriakhi A, Lu Y, Lou J, Matthews K, et al. The Drosophila transcription factor ultrabithorax self-assembles into protein-based biomaterials with multiple morphologies. Biomacromolecules. 2009;10:829-37 pubmed publisher..We have generated materials using the recombinant transcription factor Ultrabithorax, a Drosophila melanogaster protein not known or anticipated to form extended oligomers in vivo...
- Shroff S, Joshi M, Orenic T. Differential Delta expression underlies the diversity of sensory organ patterns among the legs of the Drosophila adult. Mech Dev. 2007;124:43-58 pubmed..Our findings suggest that the Hox genes, Sex combs reduced (Scr) and Ultrabithorax (Ubx), establish differential expression of the proneural gene achaete (ac) by modifying expression of the ac ..
- Moshkin Y, Alekseyenko A, Semeshin V, Spierer A, Spierer P, Makarevich G, et al. The bithorax complex of Drosophila melanogaster: Underreplication and morphology in polytene chromosomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:570-4 pubmed..salivary gland chromosomes was determined throughout the chromosome region 89E1-4, the locus of the Bithorax Complex. A zone of underreplication spans the 300 kb of DNA from the Ubx to Abd-B loci...
- Beisel C, Buness A, Roustan Espinosa I, Koch B, Schmitt S, Haas S, et al. Comparing active and repressed expression states of genes controlled by the Polycomb/Trithorax group proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:16615-20 pubmed..Besides its presumptive function in recruiting PcG complexes to their site of action, our results now uncover that Pho plays an additional role in the repression of already induced genes. ..
- Crickmore M, Ranade V, Mann R. Regulation of Ubx expression by epigenetic enhancer silencing in response to Ubx levels and genetic variation. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000633 pubmed publisher..By studying the regulation of the concentration-sensitive Drosophila melanogaster Hox gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx), we found that Ubx enhancer activities respond to both increases in Ubx levels and genetic background...
- Muller M, Hagstrom K, Gyurkovics H, Pirrotta V, Schedl P. The mcp element from the Drosophila melanogaster bithorax complex mediates long-distance regulatory interactions. Genetics. 1999;153:1333-56 pubmed..studies reported here, we have examined the properties of the Mcp element from the Drosophila melanogaster bithorax complex (BX-C)...
- Duboule D. The rise and fall of Hox gene clusters. Development. 2007;134:2549-60 pubmed..By integrating these parameters, general conclusions emerge that can help solve the aforementioned dilemma. ..
- Fritsch C, Brown J, Kassis J, Muller J. The DNA-binding polycomb group protein pleiohomeotic mediates silencing of a Drosophila homeotic gene. Development. 1999;126:3905-13 pubmed..show that the Drosophila PcG protein Pleiohomeotic binds to specific sites in a silencer of the homeotic gene Ultrabithorax. In an Ultrabithorax reporter gene, point mutations in these Pleiohomeotic binding sites abolish PcG ..
- Pallavi S, Kannan R, Shashidhara L. Negative regulation of Egfr/Ras pathway by Ultrabithorax during haltere development in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2006;296:340-52 pubmed..In the third thoracic segment, homeotic selector gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx) suppresses wing development to mediate haltere development (E.B. Lewis, 1978...
- Schaub C, Nagaso H, Jin H, Frasch M. Org-1, the Drosophila ortholog of Tbx1, is a direct activator of known identity genes during muscle specification. Development. 2012;139:1001-12 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the regulatory circuits that control the proper pattering of the larval somatic musculature in Drosophila. ..
- Stark A, Bushati N, Jan C, Kheradpour P, Hodges E, Brennecke J, et al. A single Hox locus in Drosophila produces functional microRNAs from opposite DNA strands. Genes Dev. 2008;22:8-13 pubmed publisher..We also report sense/antisense miRNAs in mouse and find antisense transcripts close to many miRNAs in both flies and mammals, suggesting that additional sense/antisense pairs exist. ..
- Nekrasov M, Klymenko T, Fraterman S, Papp B, Oktaba K, Kocher T, et al. Pcl-PRC2 is needed to generate high levels of H3-K27 trimethylation at Polycomb target genes. EMBO J. 2007;26:4078-88 pubmed..Pcl-PRC2 is thus the HMTase that generates the high levels of H3-K27 trimethylation in Polycomb target genes that are needed to maintain a Polycomb-repressed chromatin state. ..
- Miguel Aliaga I, Thor S. Segment-specific prevention of pioneer neuron apoptosis by cell-autonomous, postmitotic Hox gene activity. Development. 2004;131:6093-105 pubmed..In addition, they provide a novel mechanism linking Hox positional information to differences in neuronal architecture along the anteroposterior axis by the selective elimination of mature neurons. ..
- Rogulja Ortmann A, Renner S, Technau G. Antagonistic roles for Ultrabithorax and Antennapedia in regulating segment-specific apoptosis of differentiated motoneurons in the Drosophila embryonic central nervous system. Development. 2008;135:3435-45 pubmed publisher..We report here that the Hox genes Ultrabithorax (Ubx) and Antennapedia (Antp) regulate segment-specific survival of differentiated motoneurons in the ventral ..
- Berger C, Pallavi S, Prasad M, Shashidhara L, Technau G. A critical role for cyclin E in cell fate determination in the central nervous system of Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:56-62 pubmed..However, other components of the cell cycle seem to have a minor role in this process, suggesting a critical role for CycE in regulating cell fate in segment-specific neural lineages. ..
- Sambrani N, Hudry B, Maurel Zaffran C, Zouaz A, Mishra R, Merabet S, et al. Distinct molecular strategies for Hox-mediated limb suppression in Drosophila: from cooperativity to dispensability/antagonism in TALE partnership. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003307 pubmed publisher..This was achieved by comparing in Drosophila the mode of limb suppression by the central (Ultrabithorax and AbdominalA) and posterior class (AbdominalB) Hox proteins...
- Davis G, Srinivasan D, Wittkopp P, Stern D. The function and regulation of Ultrabithorax in the legs of Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol. 2007;308:621-31 pubmed..cis-regulatory evolution of the Hox gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx) has been shown to contribute to evolution of trichome patterns on the posterior second femur (T2p) of ..
- Mahaffey J. Assisting Hox proteins in controlling body form: are there new lessons from flies (and mammals)?. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2005;15:422-9 pubmed..Perhaps this layer in the genetic control of body patterning will help bridge some of the chasms that remain in our understanding of the genetic control of pattern formation. ..
- Pavlopoulos A, Akam M. Hox gene Ultrabithorax regulates distinct sets of target genes at successive stages of Drosophila haltere morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:2855-60 pubmed publisher..The transformation of wings into halteres by the Hox gene Ultrabithorax (Ubx) in Drosophila melanogaster presents an excellent model system to study the Hox control of ..
- Kahn T, Schwartz Y, Dellino G, Pirrotta V. Polycomb complexes and the propagation of the methylation mark at the Drosophila ubx gene. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:29064-75 pubmed..We show that H3 trimethylated at lysine 27 is found on the entire Ubx gene silenced by Polycomb...
- Miller D, Rogers B, Kalkbrenner A, Hamilton B, Holtzman S, Kaufman T. Cross-regulation of Hox genes in the Drosophila melanogaster embryo. Mech Dev. 2001;102:3-16 pubmed..between various Hox genes and demonstrate the induction of endodermal labial (lab) by ectopically expressed Ultrabithorax outside the visceral mesoderm (VMS)...
- de Navas L, Foronda D, Suzanne M, Sánchez Herrero E. A simple and efficient method to identify replacements of P-lacZ by P-Gal4 lines allows obtaining Gal4 insertions in the bithorax complex of Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2006;123:860-7 pubmed..replacements of P-lacZ lines by P-Gal4 lines, and applied it successfully to obtain Gal4 insertions in the Ultrabithorax and Abdominal-B Hox genes...
- Petruk S, Smith S, Sedkov Y, Mazo A. Association of trxG and PcG proteins with the bxd maintenance element depends on transcriptional activity. Development. 2008;135:2383-90 pubmed publisher..PcG proteins act through the same or juxtaposed sequences in the maintenance element (ME) of the homeotic gene Ultrabithorax. Surprisingly, trxG or PcG proteins, but not both, associate in vivo in any one cell in a salivary gland with ..