Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tud
Alias: CG9450, Dmel\CG9450, R5_2R:17070527..17070890, TUD, Tud, Tudor, tudor, CG9450-PA, CG9450-PB, TUDOR, tud-PA, tud-PB
Species: fruit fly
- Kibanov M, Egorova K, Ryazansky S, Sokolova O, Kotov A, Olenkina O, et al. A novel organelle, the piNG-body, in the nuage of Drosophila male germ cells is associated with piRNA-mediated gene silencing. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3410-9 pubmed publisher..This body contains known ovarian nuage proteins, including Vasa, Aub, AGO3, Tud, Spn-E, Bel, Squ, and Cuff, as well as AGO1, the key component of the microRNA pathway...
- Kirino Y, Vourekas A, Sayed N, de Lima Alves F, Thomson T, Lasko P, et al. Arginine methylation of Aubergine mediates Tudor binding and germ plasm localization. RNA. 2010;16:70-8 pubmed publisher..PGC specification in Drosophila requires maternal inheritance of cytoplasmic factors, including Aub, dPRMT5, and Tudor (Tud), that are concentrated in the germ plasm at the posterior end of the oocyte...
- Sackton K, Buehner N, Wolfner M. Modulation of MAPK activities during egg activation in Drosophila. Fly (Austin). 2007;1:222-7 pubmed..We present a model in which the decrease in MAPK activity is an intermediate step in the pathway leading from the calcium signal that initiates egg activation to the downstream events of activation. ..
- Boswell R, Mahowald A. tudor, a gene required for assembly of the germ plasm in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell. 1985;43:97-104 pubmedDevelopmental analysis of a newly isolated maternal effect grandchildless mutant, tudor (tud), in Drosophila melanogaster indicates that tud+ activity is required during oogenesis for the determination and/or formation of primordial germ ..
- Liu J, Lin H, Lopez J, Wolfner M. Formation of the male pronuclear lamina in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol. 1997;184:187-96 pubmed..Double mutant analyses between Ya and gnu suggest that YA plays a role in the nuclear envelope permissive for rounds of DNA replication. ..
- Breitwieser W, Markussen F, Horstmann H, Ephrussi A. Oskar protein interaction with Vasa represents an essential step in polar granule assembly. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2179-88 pubmed..Genetics has revealed three additional genes, staufen, vasa, and tudor, that are also essential for pole plasm formation...
- Starz Gaiano M, Lehmann R. Moving towards the next generation. Mech Dev. 2001;105:5-18 pubmed..Here we review findings from Drosophila, zebrafish, and mouse; each organism provides unique insight into the mechanisms that determine germ cell fate and the cues that may guide their migration. ..
- Gonsalvez G, Rajendra T, Tian L, Matera A. The Sm-protein methyltransferase, dart5, is essential for germ-cell specification and maintenance. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1077-89 pubmed..Embryos laid by dart5 mutants fail to form pole cells, and Tudor localization is disrupted in stage 10 oocytes...
- Nishida K, Okada T, Kawamura T, Mituyama T, Kawamura Y, Inagaki S, et al. Functional involvement of Tudor and dPRMT5 in the piRNA processing pathway in Drosophila germlines. EMBO J. 2009;28:3820-31 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that Tudor (Tud), one of Tud domain-containing proteins, associates with Aub and AGO3, specifically through their sDMA ..
- Yu J, Liu J, Song K, Turner S, Wolfner M. Nuclear entry of the Drosophila melanogaster nuclear lamina protein YA correlates with developmentally regulated changes in its phosphorylation state. Dev Biol. 1999;210:124-34 pubmed..A model for developmental regulation of the nuclear entry of YA is proposed and implications for understanding Drosophila egg activation are discussed. ..
- Rongo C, Gavis E, Lehmann R. Localization of oskar RNA regulates oskar translation and requires Oskar protein. Development. 1995;121:2737-46 pubmed..We propose that initially localization of oskar RNA permits translation into Oskar protein and that subsequently Oskar protein regulates its own RNA localization through a positive feedback mechanism. ..
- Hay B, Jan L, Jan Y. Localization of vasa, a component of Drosophila polar granules, in maternal-effect mutants that alter embryonic anteroposterior polarity. Development. 1990;109:425-33 pubmed..Females homozygous for any one of the maternal-effect mutations, tudor, oskar, staufen, vasa, or valois give rise to embryos that lack localized polar granules, fail to form the germ ..
- Barnes A, Boone J, Jacobson J, Partridge L, Chapman T. No extension of lifespan by ablation of germ line in Drosophila. Proc Biol Sci. 2006;273:939-47 pubmed..We ablated the germ line using two maternal effect mutations: germ cell-less and tudor. Both mutations result in flies that lack a proliferating germ line but that possess a somatic gonad...
- Liu H, Wang J, Huang Y, Li Z, Gong W, Lehmann R, et al. Structural basis for methylarginine-dependent recognition of Aubergine by Tudor. Genes Dev. 2010;24:1876-81 pubmed publisher..are modified by symmetric dimethylation of arginine (sDMA), and the methylarginine-dependent interaction with Tudor domain proteins is critical for their functions in germline development...
- Olivieri D, Sykora M, Sachidanandam R, Mechtler K, Brennecke J. An in vivo RNAi assay identifies major genetic and cellular requirements for primary piRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2010;29:3301-17 pubmed publisher..We developed an in vivo RNAi assay for the somatic piRNA pathway and identified the RNA helicase Armitage, the Tudor domain containing RNA helicase Yb and the putative nuclease Zucchini as essential factors for primary piRNA ..
- Lasko P, Ashburner M. Posterior localization of vasa protein correlates with, but is not sufficient for, pole cell development. Genes Dev. 1990;4:905-21 pubmed..none affects expression of vasa, mutations in four abolish vasa protein localization, and mutations in two, tudor and valois, have little, if any, effect on vasa expression or localization...
- Anne J, Mechler B. Valois, a component of the nuage and pole plasm, is involved in assembly of these structures, and binds to Tudor and the methyltransferase Capsuléen. Development. 2005;132:2167-77 pubmed..Moreover vls is required for the synthesis and/or stability of Oskar and the localization of Tudor (Tud) in both the nuage and at the posterior pole of the oocyte...
- Bardsley A, McDonald K, Boswell R. Distribution of tudor protein in the Drosophila embryo suggests separation of functions based on site of localization. Development. 1993;119:207-19 pubmedMutations in the tudor locus of Drosophila affect two distinct determinative processes in embryogenesis; segmentation of the abdomen and determination of the primordial germ cells...
- Callaini G, Riparbelli M, Dallai R. Pole cell migration through the gut wall of the Drosophila embryo: analysis of cell interactions. Dev Biol. 1995;170:365-75 pubmed..During this process the epithelial cells at the bottom of the posterior midgut primordium are greatly deformed, but their junctional complexes do not completely release, avoiding breaks in the epithelial wall. ..
- Thomson T, Lasko P. Drosophila tudor is essential for polar granule assembly and pole cell specification, but not for posterior patterning. Genesis. 2004;40:164-70 pubmed..Among these genes is tudor (tud). Progeny of hypomorphic tud mothers lack pole cells and have variable posterior patterning defects...
- Amikura R, Hanyu K, Kashikawa M, Kobayashi S. Tudor protein is essential for the localization of mitochondrial RNAs in polar granules of Drosophila embryos. Mech Dev. 2001;107:97-104 pubmed..Here we show that the localization of mtrRNAs is diminished in embryos laid by tudor mutant females, although the polar granules are maintained...
- Jongens T, Hay B, Jan L, Jan Y. The germ cell-less gene product: a posteriorly localized component necessary for germ cell development in Drosophila. Cell. 1992;70:569-84 pubmed..Consistent with this phenotype, gcl protein specifically associates with those nuclei that later become the nuclei of the germ cell precursors. These observations suggest that gcl functions in the germ cell specification pathway. ..
- Kunwar P, Starz Gaiano M, Bainton R, Heberlein U, Lehmann R. Tre1, a G protein-coupled receptor, directs transepithelial migration of Drosophila germ cells. PLoS Biol. 2003;1:E80 pubmed..Recently, the chemokine receptor CXCR4 was shown to direct migration in vertebrate germ cells. Thus, germ cells may more generally use GPCR signaling to navigate the embryo toward their target. ..
- Nagao A, Mituyama T, Huang H, Chen D, Siomi M, Siomi H. Biogenesis pathways of piRNAs loaded onto AGO3 in the Drosophila testis. RNA. 2010;16:2503-15 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the impacts of armi mutants on the operation of the piRNA pathway are variable in germ cells of fly testes. ..
- Arkov A, Wang J, Ramos A, Lehmann R. The role of Tudor domains in germline development and polar granule architecture. Development. 2006;133:4053-62 pubmedb>Tudor domains are found in many organisms and have been implicated in protein-protein interactions in which methylated protein substrates bind to these domains...
- Soltys B, Gupta R. Mitochondrial-matrix proteins at unexpected locations: are they exported?. Trends Biochem Sci. 1999;24:174-7 pubmed..We suggest that mitochondria, as organelles of bacterial origin, possess specific mechanisms for export of proteins to other compartments. ..
- Watnick T, Jin Y, Matunis E, Kernan M, Montell C. A flagellar polycystin-2 homolog required for male fertility in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2003;13:2179-84 pubmed..The finding that Amo functions in sperm flagella supports a common and evolutionarily conserved role for polycystin-2 proteins in both motile and nonmotile axonemal-containing structures. ..
- Bachtrog D, Andolfatto P. Selection, recombination and demographic history in Drosophila miranda. Genetics. 2006;174:2045-59 pubmed..These departures from neutral equilibrium expectations are discussed in the context of nonequilibrium models of demography and selection. ..
- Gonsalvez G, Rajendra T, Wen Y, Praveen K, Matera A. Sm proteins specify germ cell fate by facilitating oskar mRNA localization. Development. 2010;137:2341-51 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Sm proteins function to establish the germline in Drosophila, at least in part by mediating oskar mRNA localization. ..
- Tayler T, Pacheco D, Hergarden A, Murthy M, Anderson D. A neuropeptide circuit that coordinates sperm transfer and copulation duration in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:20697-702 pubmed publisher..We conclude that four Crz INs independently control SSFT and copulation duration, thereby coupling the timing of these two processes. ..
- Chen F, Barkett M, Ram K, Quintanilla A, Hariharan I. Biological characterization of Drosophila Rapgap1, a GTPase activating protein for Rap1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:12485-90 pubmed..Thus, Rapgap1 can function as a negative regulator of Rap1-mediated signaling in vivo. ..
- Stathopoulos A, Levine M. Whole-genome expression profiles identify gene batteries in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2002;3:464-5 pubmed
- Li H, Baker B. hermaphrodite and doublesex function both dependently and independently to control various aspects of sexual differentiation in Drosophila. Development. 1998;125:2641-51 pubmed
- Gilchrist A, Partridge L. Why it is difficult to model sperm displacement in Drosophila melanogaster: the relation between sperm transfer and copulation duration. Evolution. 2000;54:534-42 pubmed..Experimental interruption of first matings indicated that the extra copulation time serves to delay female remating, rather than to increase that rate at which of offspring are sired before remating. ..
- Stebbings L, Grimes B, Bownes M. A testis-specifically expressed gene is embedded within a cluster of maternally expressed genes at 89B in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Genes Evol. 1998;208:523-30 pubmed..germline-derived cells, consistent with northern analysis which showed that they were absent in the offspring of tudor flies that lack a germline...
- Monsma S, Wolfner M. Structure and expression of a Drosophila male accessory gland gene whose product resembles a peptide pheromone precursor. Genes Dev. 1988;2:1063-73 pubmed..The predicted sequence of one protein has features of a peptide hormone precursor, and a region in which 11 of 17 amino acids are identical to egg-laying hormone (ELH) of the California sea hare, Aplysia californica. ..
- Musters H, Huntley M, Singh R. A genomic comparison of faster-sex, faster-X, and faster-male evolution between Drosophila melanogaster and Drosophila pseudoobscura. J Mol Evol. 2006;62:693-700 pubmed..pseudoobscura orthologue. These results, from widely separated taxa, bolster the thesis that sexual system genes experience accelerated rates of change in comparison to nonsexual genes in evolution and speciation. ..
- Di Cara F, Morra R, Cavaliere D, Sorrentino A, De Simone A, Polito C, et al. Structure and expression of a novel gene family showing male germline specific expression in Drosophila melanogaster. Insect Mol Biol. 2006;15:813-22 pubmed..The present study is aimed at the structural analysis of these genes. ..
- He L, Hannon G. MicroRNAs: small RNAs with a big role in gene regulation. Nat Rev Genet. 2004;5:522-31 pubmed
- Jack T, McGinnis W. Establishment of the Deformed expression stripe requires the combinatorial action of coordinate, gap and pair-rule proteins. EMBO J. 1990;9:1187-98 pubmed..In addition, the activation code for Deformed is redundant; other pair-rule genes in addition to even-skipped can apparently act in combination with bicoid and hunchback to activate Deformed. ..
- Creed T, Loganathan S, Varonin D, Jackson C, Arkov A. Novel role of specific Tudor domains in Tudor-Aubergine protein complex assembly and distribution during Drosophila oogenesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;402:384-9 pubmed publisher..In these granules, Piwi protein Aubergine has been shown to interact with Tudor protein in Drosophila...
- Sahut Barnola I, Pauli D. The Drosophila gene stand still encodes a germline chromatin-associated protein that controls the transcription of the ovarian tumor gene. Development. 1999;126:1917-26 pubmed..Expression of ovarian tumor in somatic cells can be induced by ectopic expression of Stil. Finally, we find that transient ubiquitous somatic expression of Stil results in lethality of the fly at all stages of development. ..
- Hudson A, Cooley L. A subset of dynamic actin rearrangements in Drosophila requires the Arp2/3 complex. J Cell Biol. 2002;156:677-87 pubmed..The requirement for Arp2/3 in ring canals indicates that the polymerization of actin filaments at the ring canal plasma membrane is important for driving ring canal growth. ..
- Boutanaev A, Mikhaylova L, Nurminsky D. Up-regulation of the Ku heterodimer in Drosophila testicular cyst cells. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:1707-15 pubmed..Abundance of Ku in the cyst cell cytoplasm suggests the role for Ku subunits in the regulation of sperm individualization. ..
- Russell S, Kaiser K. A Drosophila melanogaster chromosome 2L repeat is expressed in the male germ line. Chromosoma. 1994;103:63-72 pubmed..The repeat is conserved in all D. melanogaster strains examined but absent from other Drosophila species studied. The locus does not correspond to any known complementation groups in the region and has yet to be assigned a function. ..
- Chapman T, Hutchings J, Partridge L. No reduction in the cost of mating for Drosophila melanogaster females mating with spermless males. Proc Biol Sci. 1993;253:211-7 pubmed..using two types of males that do not transfer sperm (transformer pseudomales and the male offspring of homozygous tudor mothers)...
- Akiyama T, Okada M. Spatial and developmental changes in the respiratory activity of mitochondria in early Drosophila embryos. Development. 1992;115:1175-82 pubmed..The posterior group mutations that we tested (staufen, oskar, tudor, nanos) and the terminal mutation (torso) did not alter staining pattern of the posterior with rhodamine 123.
- Robida M, Singh R. Drosophila polypyrimidine-tract binding protein (PTB) functions specifically in the male germline. EMBO J. 2003;22:2924-33 pubmed..This male-specific expression of PTB is conserved in D.virilis. Thus, PTB appears to be a particularly potent downstream target of the sex-determination pathway in the male germline, since it can regulate multiple mRNAs. ..
- Loppin B, Lepetit D, Dorus S, Couble P, Karr T. Origin and neofunctionalization of a Drosophila paternal effect gene essential for zygote viability. Curr Biol. 2005;15:87-93 pubmed publisher..We present a detailed case history of the origin and evolution of a new essential gene and, in so doing, provide the first molecular identification of a Drosophila paternal effect gene, ms(3)K81 (K81)...
- Nüsslein Volhard C. The bicoid morphogen papers (I): account from CNV. Cell. 2004;116:S1-5, 2 p following S9 pubmed
- Spradling A, Drummond Barbosa D, Kai T. Stem cells find their niche. Nature. 2001;414:98-104 pubmed..These studies are beginning to unify our understanding of stem cell regulation at the cellular and molecular levels, and promise to advance efforts to use stem cells therapeutically. ..
- Trcek T, Grosch M, York A, Shroff H, Lionnet T, Lehmann R. Drosophila germ granules are structured and contain homotypic mRNA clusters. Nat Commun. 2015;6:7962 pubmed publisher..This organization, which is maintained during embryogenesis and independent of the translational or degradation activity of mRNAs, reveals new regulatory mechanisms for germ plasm mRNAs that may be applicable to other mRNA granules. ..
- Crickmore M, Vosshall L. Opposing dopaminergic and GABAergic neurons control the duration and persistence of copulation in Drosophila. Cell. 2013;155:881-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, copulation duration in Drosophila is a product of gradually declining persistence controlled by opposing neuronal populations using conserved neurotransmission systems. ..
- Bryant P, Schmidt O. The genetic control of cell proliferation in Drosophila imaginal discs. J Cell Sci Suppl. 1990;13:169-89 pubmed
- Gao M, McCluskey P, Loganathan S, Arkov A. An in vivo crosslinking approach to isolate protein complexes from Drosophila embryos. J Vis Exp. 2014;: pubmed publisher..We illustrate this method using purification of a Tudor protein complex, which is essential for germline development...
- Wayne S, Liggett K, Pettus J, Nagoshi R. Genetic characterization of small ovaries, a gene required in the soma for the development of the Drosophila ovary and the female germline. Genetics. 1995;139:1309-20 pubmed..In addition, the genetic mapping of the sov locus is presented, including the characterization of two lethal sov alleles and complementation mapping with existing rearrangements. ..
- Degelmann A, Hardy P, Perrimon N, Mahowald A. Developmental analysis of the torso-like phenotype in Drosophila produced by a maternal-effect locus. Dev Biol. 1986;115:479-89 pubmed..This represents the first direct demonstration that a maternal-effect mutation alters the spatial distribution of a zygotic gene product involved in the segmental patterning of the embryo. ..
- Vourekas A, Alexiou P, Vrettos N, Maragkakis M, Mourelatos Z. Sequence-dependent but not sequence-specific piRNA adhesion traps mRNAs to the germ plasm. Nature. 2016;531:390-394 pubmed publisher..is a central component of germ granule RNPs, which house mRNAs in the germ plasm, and interactions between Aub and Tudor are essential for the formation of germ granules...
- Sardet C, Prodon F, Dumollard R, Chang P, Chenevert J. Structure and function of the egg cortex from oogenesis through fertilization. Dev Biol. 2002;241:1-23 pubmed
- Gao M, Arkov A. Next generation organelles: structure and role of germ granules in the germline. Mol Reprod Dev. 2013;80:610-23 pubmed publisher..germ granule inducers, which initiate the granule formation, and downstream components, such as RNA helicases and Tudor domain-Piwi protein-piRNA complexes...
- Wang C, Lehmann R. Nanos is the localized posterior determinant in Drosophila. Cell. 1991;66:637-47 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that a localized source of nos RNA is sufficient to specify abdominal segmentation and imply that other posterior group genes are required for localization, stabilization, or distribution of the nos gene product...
- Schulz R, Butler B. Overlapping genes of Drosophila melanogaster: organization of the z600-gonadal-Eip28/29 gene cluster. Genes Dev. 1989;3:232-42 pubmed..An analysis of germ-line transformants reveals that gdl can be expressed properly outside the overlapping gene environment because a 1.8-kb DNA region contains all the sequences necessary for gdl sex-specific expression. ..
- Ravi Ram K, Ji S, Wolfner M. Fates and targets of male accessory gland proteins in mated female Drosophila melanogaster. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2005;35:1059-71 pubmed..Our results can help to identify the likely functions of these Acps as well as to create models for the mechanism of action of Acps. ..
- Digilio F, Pannuti A, Lucchesi J, Furia M, Polito L. Tosca: a Drosophila gene encoding a nuclease specifically expressed in the female germline. Dev Biol. 1996;178:90-100 pubmed..The definite oocyte localization of tos transcript during meiosis and its ubiquitous distribution in early embryos suggest that tos may play a role in mismatch repair during genetic recombination and early cleavage divisions. ..
- Adams E, Wolfner M. Seminal proteins but not sperm induce morphological changes in the Drosophila melanogaster female reproductive tract during sperm storage. J Insect Physiol. 2007;53:319-31 pubmed..Our results suggest that timely morphological changes in the female reproductive tract, possibly muscular in nature, may be needed for successful sperm storage, and that Acps from the male are needed in order for these changes to occur. ..
- Huang H, Li Y, Szulwach K, Zhang G, Jin P, Chen D. AGO3 Slicer activity regulates mitochondria-nuage localization of Armitage and piRNA amplification. J Cell Biol. 2014;206:217-30 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings uncover a new mechanism that couples mitochondria with nuage to regulate secondary piRNA amplification. ..
- Nusslein Volhard C, Frohnhofer H, Lehmann R. Determination of anteroposterior polarity in Drosophila. Science. 1987;238:1675-81 pubmed..Mutants in these genes lack either the anterior or posterior part of the segmented pattern. The unsegmented terminal embryonic regions require a third class of genes and form independently of the anterior and posterior centers. ..
- St Johnston D, Beuchle D, Nusslein Volhard C. Staufen, a gene required to localize maternal RNAs in the Drosophila egg. Cell. 1991;66:51-63 pubmed..By the time the egg is laid, staufen protein is also concentrated at the anterior pole, in the same region as bicoid RNA. ..
- Sury M, Chen J, Selbach M. The SILAC fly allows for accurate protein quantification in vivo. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2010;9:2173-83 pubmed publisher..Using a tudor mutant that is defective for germ cell generation allowed us to differentiate between sex-specific protein ..
- Shen J, Ford D, Landis G, Tower J. Identifying sexual differentiation genes that affect Drosophila life span. BMC Geriatr. 2009;9:56 pubmed publisher..Drosophila females heterozygous for the tudor mutation produce normal offspring, while their homozygous sisters produce offspring that lack a germ line...
- Berk A. TBP-like factors come into focus. Cell. 2000;103:5-8 pubmed
- Belyakin S, Christophides G, Alekseyenko A, Kriventseva E, Belyaeva E, Nanayev R, et al. Genomic analysis of Drosophila chromosome underreplication reveals a link between replication control and transcriptional territories. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:8269-74 pubmed..An attractive hypothesis for future testing is that factors involved in replication control, such as SU(UR), may interact physically with those involved in epigenetic silencing of transcription territories. ..
- Gao M, Thomson T, Creed T, Tu S, Loganathan S, Jackson C, et al. Glycolytic enzymes localize to ribonucleoprotein granules in Drosophila germ cells, bind Tudor and protect from transposable elements. EMBO Rep. 2015;16:379-86 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate that in the granules, glycolytic enzymes associate with the evolutionarily conserved Tudor protein...
- Parisi M, Li R, Oliver B. Lipid profiles of female and male Drosophila. BMC Res Notes. 2011;4:198 pubmed publisher..The presence of a germline did not significantly influence lipid profiles, raising the possibility that germline-dependent changes in metabolic gene expression patterns serve a homeostatic purpose. ..
- Ku H, Gangaraju V, Qi H, Liu N, Lin H. Tudor-SN Interacts with Piwi Antagonistically in Regulating Spermatogenesis but Synergistically in Silencing Transposons in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005813 pubmed publisher..Here we report that Piwi interacts with Tudor-SN (Tudor staphylococcal nuclease, TSN) antagonistically in regulating spermatogenesis but synergistically in ..