Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: TrpA1
Description: Transient receptor potential cation channel A1
Alias: ANKTM1, Anktm1, CG5751, CG5761, CT18073, DmTRPA1, Dmel\CG5751, TRPA, TRPA1, Trp1A, TrpA, Trpa1, dANKTM1, dTRPA, dTRPA1, dTrpA, dTrpA1, dtrpA1, trpA1, transient receptor potential cation channel A1, CG5751-PG, CG5751-PH, CG5751-PI, CG5751-PJ, CG5751-PK, TrpA1-PG, TrpA1-PH, TrpA1-PI, TrpA1-PJ, TrpA1-PK, dTRPA1, transient receptor potential A 1, transient receptor potential A1, transient receptor potential cation channel, transient receptor potential cation channel A1 ortholog, transient-receptor-potential A1
Species: fruit fly
- Flood T, Iguchi S, Gorczyca M, White B, Ito K, Yoshihara M. A single pair of interneurons commands the Drosophila feeding motor program. Nature. 2013;499:83-7 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that Fdg neurons operate firmly within the sensorimotor watershed, downstream of sensory and metabolic cues and at the top of the feeding motor hierarchy, to execute the decision to feed. ..
- Kang K, Pulver S, Panzano V, Chang E, Griffith L, Theobald D, et al. Analysis of Drosophila TRPA1 reveals an ancient origin for human chemical nociception. Nature. 2010;464:597-600 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that Drosophila TRPA1 (Transient receptor potential A1), the Drosophila melanogaster orthologue of the human irritant sensor, acts in gustatory chemosensors ..
- Suver M, Mamiya A, Dickinson M. Octopamine neurons mediate flight-induced modulation of visual processing in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2012;22:2294-302 pubmed publisher..However, the mechanisms underlying these phenomena remain poorly characterized...
- Chen Z, Wang Q, Wang Z. The amiloride-sensitive epithelial Na+ channel PPK28 is essential for drosophila gustatory water reception. J Neurosci. 2010;30:6247-52 pubmed publisher..Thus, the amiloride-sensitive PPK28 channel may serve as the osmolarity sensor for gustatory water reception in the fruit fly. ..
- Alekseyenko O, Lee C, Kravitz E. Targeted manipulation of serotonergic neurotransmission affects the escalation of aggression in adult male Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10806 pubmed publisher..Acute activation of 5HT neurons using temperature sensitive dTrpA1 channel expression, in contrast, resulted in flies that escalated fights faster and that fought at higher ..
- Inagaki H, Ben Tabou de Leon S, Wong A, Jagadish S, Ishimoto H, Barnea G, et al. Visualizing neuromodulation in vivo: TANGO-mapping of dopamine signaling reveals appetite control of sugar sensing. Cell. 2012;148:583-95 pubmed publisher..These data reinforce the concept that sensory neurons constitute an important locus for state-dependent gain control of behavior and introduce a methodology that can be extended to other neuromodulators and model organisms. ..
- Burke C, Huetteroth W, Owald D, Perisse E, Krashes M, Das G, et al. Layered reward signalling through octopamine and dopamine in Drosophila. Nature. 2012;492:433-7 pubmed publisher..In addition, they reconcile previous findings with octopamine and dopamine and suggest that reinforcement systems in flies are more similar to mammals than previously thought. ..
- Rosenzweig M, Kang K, Garrity P. Distinct TRP channels are required for warm and cool avoidance in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:14668-73 pubmed publisher..In Drosophila melanogaster larvae, avoidance of excessively warm temperatures is known to require the TRP protein dTRPA1. Whether larval avoidance of excessively cool temperatures also requires TRP channel function, and whether warm ..
- Donlea J, Thimgan M, Suzuki Y, Gottschalk L, Shaw P. Inducing sleep by remote control facilitates memory consolidation in Drosophila. Science. 2011;332:1571-6 pubmed publisher..We induced sleep on demand by expressing the temperature-gated nonspecific cation channel Transient receptor potential cation channel (UAS-TrpA1) in neurons, including those with projections to the dorsal fan-shaped body (FB)...
- Pan Y, Meissner G, Baker B. Joint control of Drosophila male courtship behavior by motion cues and activation of male-specific P1 neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:10065-70 pubmed publisher..respond to chemosensory cues (P1 neurons) were artificially activated via a temperature-sensitive cation channel (dTRPA1), males followed and extended their wing toward moving objects (even a moving piece of rubber band) intensively...
- Kwon Y, Kim S, Ronderos D, Lee Y, Akitake B, Woodward O, et al. Drosophila TRPA1 channel is required to avoid the naturally occurring insect repellent citronellal. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1672-8 pubmed publisher..Mutations affecting the Ca(2+)-permeable cation channel TRPA1 result in a comparable defect in avoiding citronellal vapor...
- Krashes M, Dasgupta S, Vreede A, White B, Armstrong J, Waddell S. A neural circuit mechanism integrating motivational state with memory expression in Drosophila. Cell. 2009;139:416-27 pubmed publisher..Therefore, dNPF and dopamine provide a motivational switch in the mushroom body that controls the output of appetitive memory...
- Fujita N, Nagata Y, Nishiuchi T, Sato M, Iwami M, Kiya T. Visualization of neural activity in insect brains using a conserved immediate early gene, Hr38. Curr Biol. 2013;23:2063-70 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that Hr38 is a novel and conserved insect neural activity marker gene that will be useful for a wide variety of neuroethologic studies...
- Miyamoto T, Slone J, Song X, Amrein H. A fructose receptor functions as a nutrient sensor in the Drosophila brain. Cell. 2012;151:1113-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, our studies indicate that the Gr43a-expressing brain neurons function as a nutrient sensor for hemolymph fructose and assign opposing valence to feeding experiences in a satiation-dependent manner. ..
- Rosenzweig M, Brennan K, Tayler T, Phelps P, Patapoutian A, Garrity P. The Drosophila ortholog of vertebrate TRPA1 regulates thermotaxis. Genes Dev. 2005;19:419-24 pubmed..We demonstrate dTRPA1, a heat-activated Transient Receptor Potential (TRP) family ion channel, is essential for thermotaxis in ..
- Kwon Y, Shim H, Wang X, Montell C. Control of thermotactic behavior via coupling of a TRP channel to a phospholipase C signaling cascade. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:871-3 pubmed publisher..between the optimal temperature of 18 degrees C and slightly higher temperatures (19-24 degrees C) depended on the TRPA1 channel, which functioned downstream of a phospholipase C-dependent signaling cascade similar to that used in fly ..
- Pulver S, Pashkovski S, Hornstein N, Garrity P, Griffith L. Temporal dynamics of neuronal activation by Channelrhodopsin-2 and TRPA1 determine behavioral output in Drosophila larvae. J Neurophysiol. 2009;101:3075-88 pubmed publisher..comparison, we examined the effects of ectopic expression of the warmth-activated cation channel Drosophila TRPA1 (dTRPA1)...
- Kong E, Woo K, Li H, Lebestky T, Mayer N, Sniffen M, et al. A pair of dopamine neurons target the D1-like dopamine receptor DopR in the central complex to promote ethanol-stimulated locomotion in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9954 pubmed publisher..These data tie the activity of defined dopamine neurons to D1-like DopR-expressing neurons to form a neural circuit that governs acute responding to ethanol. ..
- Keene A, Duboué E, McDonald D, Dus M, Suh G, Waddell S, et al. Clock and cycle limit starvation-induced sleep loss in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1209-15 pubmed publisher..These findings show that Clk and cyc act during starvation to modulate the conflict of whether flies sleep or search for food. ..
- Lee Y, Montell C. Drosophila TRPA1 functions in temperature control of circadian rhythm in pacemaker neurons. J Neurosci. 2013;33:6716-25 pubmed publisher..Here, we showed that Drosophila TRPA1 (transient receptor potential cation channel A1) was necessary for normal activity patterns during temperature cycles...
- von Philipsborn A, Liu T, Yu J, Masser C, Bidaye S, Dickson B. Neuronal control of Drosophila courtship song. Neuron. 2011;69:509-22 pubmed publisher..These neurons are potentially connected in a functional circuit, with the descending pIP10 neuron linking the brain and thoracic song centers. Sexual dimorphisms in each of these neurons may explain why only males sing. ..
- Kohatsu S, Koganezawa M, Yamamoto D. Female contact activates male-specific interneurons that trigger stereotypic courtship behavior in Drosophila. Neuron. 2011;69:498-508 pubmed publisher..Activation of fruitless (fru)-expressing neurons via stimulation of thermosensitive dTrpA1 channels induced an entire series of courtship acts in male Drosophila placed alone without any courting target...
- Marella S, Mann K, Scott K. Dopaminergic modulation of sucrose acceptance behavior in Drosophila. Neuron. 2012;73:941-50 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate the marked specificity of dopamine signaling and provide a foundation to examine neural mechanisms of feeding modulation in the fly. ..
- Zhang T, Branch A, Shen P. Octopamine-mediated circuit mechanism underlying controlled appetite for palatable food in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:15431-6 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide fresh insight for the neurobiology and evolution of appetitive motivation. ..
- Plaçais P, Preat T. To favor survival under food shortage, the brain disables costly memory. Science. 2013;339:440-2 pubmed publisher..LTM formation is thus subject to adaptive plasticity that helps survival under food shortage. ..
- Kang K, Panzano V, Chang E, Ni L, Dainis A, Jenkins A, et al. Modulation of TRPA1 thermal sensitivity enables sensory discrimination in Drosophila. Nature. 2011;481:76-80 pubmed publisher..Here we determine how stimuli activating Drosophila TRPA1 are discriminated...
- Viswanath V, Story G, Peier A, Petrus M, Lee V, Hwang S, et al. Opposite thermosensor in fruitfly and mouse. Nature. 2003;423:822-3 pubmed
- Shih H, Chiang A. Anatomical characterization of thermosensory AC neurons in the adult Drosophila brain. J Neurogenet. 2011;25:1-6 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, by morphological analysis of the AC neurons, the authors show a general strategy for predicting brain circuits orchestrating thermosensory behaviors. ..
- Aso Y, Herb A, Ogueta M, Siwanowicz I, Templier T, Friedrich A, et al. Three dopamine pathways induce aversive odor memories with different stability. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002768 pubmed publisher..These results cast light on a cellular mechanism by which a noxious event induces different dopamine signals to a single brain structure to synthesize an aversive memory. ..
- Plaçais P, Trannoy S, Isabel G, Aso Y, Siwanowicz I, Belliart Guérin G, et al. Slow oscillations in two pairs of dopaminergic neurons gate long-term memory formation in Drosophila. Nat Neurosci. 2012;15:592-9 pubmed publisher..Oscillations were weakened by ARM-inducing massed training and were enhanced during LTM formation. Our results indicate that oscillations of two pairs of dopaminergic neurons control ARM levels and gate LTM. ..
- Shang Y, Donelson N, Vecsey C, Guo F, Rosbash M, Griffith L. Short neuropeptide F is a sleep-promoting inhibitory modulator. Neuron. 2013;80:171-83 pubmed publisher..sNPF acutely increases sleep without altering feeding behavior, which it affects only on a much longer time scale. The profound effect of sNPF on sleep indicates that it is an important sleep-promoting molecule. ..
- Wu M, Robinson J, Joiner W. SLEEPLESS is a bifunctional regulator of excitability and cholinergic synaptic transmission. Curr Biol. 2014;24:621-9 pubmed publisher..Together, our data point to an evolutionarily conserved, bifunctional role for SSS and its homologs in controlling excitability and synaptic transmission in fundamental processes of the nervous system such as sleep. ..
- Yang L, Li R, Kaneko T, Takle K, Morikawa R, Essex L, et al. Trim9 regulates activity-dependent fine-scale topography in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2014;24:1024-30 pubmed publisher..This study offers both a novel mechanism by which neural activity directs fine-scale topography of axon terminals and a new system to study this process at single-neuron resolution. ..
- Toda H, Zhao X, Dickson B. The Drosophila female aphrodisiac pheromone activates ppk23(+) sensory neurons to elicit male courtship behavior. Cell Rep. 2012;1:599-607 pubmed publisher..Artificial activation of these ppk23(+) neurons stimulates male-male courtship even without 7,11-HD perfuming. These data identify the ppk23(+) sensory neurons as the primary targets for female sex pheromones in Drosophila. ..
- Vilceanu D, Stucky C. TRPA1 mediates mechanical currents in the plasma membrane of mouse sensory neurons. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12177 pubmed publisher..One promising mechanotransduction candidate is the Transient Receptor Potential Ankyrin 1 (TRPA1) ion channel...
- Buchanan S, Kain J, de Bivort B. Neuronal control of locomotor handedness in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:6700-5 pubmed publisher..When these neurons are silenced, exploratory laterality increases, with more extreme leftiness and rightiness. This observation intriguingly implies that the brain may be able to dynamically regulate behavioral individuality. ..
- Lu B, Lamora A, Sun Y, Welsh M, Ben Shahar Y. ppk23-Dependent chemosensory functions contribute to courtship behavior in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002587 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that ppk23 and the cells expressing it play an important role in the peripheral sensory system that determines sexual behavior in Drosophila. ..
- Galili D, Dylla K, Lüdke A, Friedrich A, Yamagata N, Wong J, et al. Converging circuits mediate temperature and shock aversive olfactory conditioning in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2014;24:1712-22 pubmed publisher..We show that the AC neurons, which are internal thermal receptors expressing dTrpA1, are selectively required for odor-temperature but not for odor-shock memory...
- Cordero Morales J, Gracheva E, Julius D. Cytoplasmic ankyrin repeats of transient receptor potential A1 (TRPA1) dictate sensitivity to thermal and chemical stimuli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:E1184-91 pubmed publisher..Mammalian TRPA1 channels are activated by chemically reactive irritants, whereas snake and Drosophila TRPA1 orthologs are ..
- Schoofs A, Hückesfeld S, Schlegel P, Miroschnikow A, Peters M, Zeymer M, et al. Selection of motor programs for suppressing food intake and inducing locomotion in the Drosophila brain. PLoS Biol. 2014;12:e1001893 pubmed publisher..These results provide insights into a neural mechanism of how opposing motor programs can be selected in order to coordinate feeding and locomotive behaviors. ..
- Shen W, Kwon Y, Adegbola A, Luo J, Chess A, Montell C. Function of rhodopsin in temperature discrimination in Drosophila. Science. 2011;331:1333-6 pubmed publisher..guanine nucleotide-binding protein (G protein), a phospholipase C, and the transient receptor potential TRPA1 channel...
- Du E, Ahn T, Wen X, Seo D, Na D, Kwon J, et al. Nucleophile sensitivity of Drosophila TRPA1 underlies light-induced feeding deterrence. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..We discover that Drosophila Transient Receptor Potential Ankyrin 1 (TRPA1), previously known only as an electrophile receptor, sensitively detects photochemically active sunlight through ..
- Soldano A, Alpizar Y, Boonen B, Franco L, Lopez Requena A, Liu G, et al. Gustatory-mediated avoidance of bacterial lipopolysaccharides via TRPA1 activation in Drosophila. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..We found the expression of the chemosensory cation channel dTRPA1 in these cells to be necessary and sufficient for LPS avoidance...
- Doll C, Broadie K. Impaired activity-dependent neural circuit assembly and refinement in autism spectrum disorder genetic models. Front Cell Neurosci. 2014;8:30 pubmed publisher..The field is now poised to exploit this new Drosophila transgenic toolbox for the systematic dissection of A-D mechanisms in normal versus ASD brain development, particularly utilizing the well-established Drosophila FXS disease model. ..
- Bolukbasi E, Vass S, Cobbe N, Nelson B, Simossis V, Dunbar D, et al. Drosophila poly suggests a novel role for the Elongator complex in insulin receptor-target of rapamycin signalling. Open Biol. 2012;2:110031 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, homology to small subunits of Elongator demonstrates a novel, unexpected role for this complex in insulin signalling. ..
- Melom J, Littleton J. Mutation of a NCKX eliminates glial microdomain calcium oscillations and enhances seizure susceptibility. J Neurosci. 2013;33:1169-78 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that microdomain glial Ca(2+) oscillations require NCKX-mediated plasma membrane Ca(2+) flux, and that acute dysregulation of glial Ca(2+) signaling triggers seizures. ..
- DiAngelo J, Erion R, Crocker A, Sehgal A. The central clock neurons regulate lipid storage in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19921 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that the activity of the central clock neurons is necessary for proper lipid storage. ..
- Teodoro R, Pekkurnaz G, Nasser A, Higashi Kovtun M, Balakireva M, McLachlan I, et al. Ral mediates activity-dependent growth of postsynaptic membranes via recruitment of the exocyst. EMBO J. 2013;32:2039-55 pubmed publisher..This pathway may also function in mammals as expression of activated RalA in hippocampal neurons increases dendritic spine density in an exocyst-dependent manner and increases Sec5 in spines. ..
- Neely G, Keene A, Duchek P, Chang E, Wang Q, Aksoy Y, et al. TrpA1 regulates thermal nociception in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24343 pubmed publisher..One of these genes, the conserved thermoreceptor TrpA1, was confirmed as a bona fide "pain" gene in both adult and larval fly nociception paradigms...
- Tuthill J, Nern A, Holtz S, Rubin G, Reiser M. Contributions of the 12 neuron classes in the fly lamina to motion vision. Neuron. 2013;79:128-40 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a prominent role for feedback and lateral interactions in motion processing and demonstrate that motion-dependent behaviors rely on contributions from nearly all lamina neuron classes. ..
- Das A, Holmes T, Sheeba V. dTRPA1 in Non-circadian Neurons Modulates Temperature-dependent Rhythmic Activity in Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Rhythms. 2016;31:272-88 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that neurons expressing warmth-activated ion channel Drosophila Transient Receptor Potential-A1 (dTRPA1) modulate distinct aspects of the rhythmic activity/rest rhythm in a light-dependent manner...
- Carrillo R, Olsen D, Yoon K, Keshishian H. Presynaptic activity and CaMKII modulate retrograde semaphorin signaling and synaptic refinement. Neuron. 2010;68:32-44 pubmed publisher..These results indicate a role for patterned electrical activity and presynaptic calcium signaling, acting through CaMKII, in modulating a retrograde signal during the refinement of synaptic connections. ..
- Burn K, Shimada Y, Ayers K, Lu F, Hudson A, Cooley L. Somatic insulin signaling regulates a germline starvation response in Drosophila egg chambers. Dev Biol. 2015;398:206-17 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a potential mechanism to maximize fecundity even during periods of poor nutrient availability, by mounting a protective response in immature egg chambers. ..
- Janssens K, Goethals S, Atkinson D, Ermanoska B, Fransen E, Jordanova A, et al. Human Rab7 mutation mimics features of Charcot-Marie-Tooth neuropathy type 2B in Drosophila. Neurobiol Dis. 2014;65:211-9 pubmed publisher..This latter finding indicates that alterations in vesicle transport might contribute to the pathomechanism of CMT2B. ..
- Devineni A, Eddison M, Heberlein U. The novel gene tank, a tumor suppressor homolog, regulates ethanol sensitivity in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2013;33:8134-43 pubmed publisher..Overall, we have characterized a novel gene and corresponding set of neurons that regulate ethanol sensitivity in Drosophila. ..
- Keleman K, Vrontou E, Krüttner S, Yu J, Kurtovic Kozaric A, Dickson B. Dopamine neurons modulate pheromone responses in Drosophila courtship learning. Nature. 2012;489:145-9 pubmed publisher..Our work thus reveals critical behavioural, cellular and molecular components of the learning rule by which Drosophila adjusts its innate mating strategy according to experience. ..
- Gorczyca D, Younger S, Meltzer S, Kim S, Cheng L, Song W, et al. Identification of Ppk26, a DEG/ENaC Channel Functioning with Ppk1 in a Mutually Dependent Manner to Guide Locomotion Behavior in Drosophila. Cell Rep. 2014;9:1446-58 pubmed publisher..Mutants of Piezo, a channel involved in mechanical nociception in the same neurons, did not show a defect in locomotion, suggesting distinct molecular machinery for mediating locomotor feedback and mechanical nociception. ..
- Perisse E, Burke C, Huetteroth W, Waddell S. Shocking revelations and saccharin sweetness in the study of Drosophila olfactory memory. Curr Biol. 2013;23:R752-63 pubmed publisher..We emphasize that considering an ethologically-relevant viewpoint might provide additional experimental power in studies of Drosophila memory. ..
- Masek P, Worden K, Aso Y, Rubin G, Keene A. A dopamine-modulated neural circuit regulating aversive taste memory in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2015;25:1535-41 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings detail a neural mechanism underlying the formation of taste memory and provide a functional model for dopamine-dependent plasticity in Drosophila. ..
- Du E, Ahn T, Kwon I, Lee J, Park J, Park S, et al. TrpA1 Regulates Defecation of Food-Borne Pathogens under the Control of the Duox Pathway. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005773 pubmed publisher..Drosophila TRPA1 is an evolutionarily conserved receptor for reactive chemicals like HOCl, but a role for this molecule in ..
- Sénatore S, Rami Reddy V, Semeriva M, Perrin L, Lalevee N. Response to mechanical stress is mediated by the TRPA channel painless in the Drosophila heart. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001088 pubmed publisher..a genetic screen based on the dependence of cardiac activity upon mechanical constraints and identified Painless, a TRPA channel...
- Fowler M, Montell C. Drosophila TRP channels and animal behavior. Life Sci. 2013;92:394-403 pubmed publisher..quot; Drosophila TRPs also function in the sensation of botanically derived insect repellents, and related TRPs in insect pests are potential targets for the development of improved repellents to combat insect-borne diseases. ..
- Caterina M, Montell C. Take a TRP to beat the heat. Genes Dev. 2005;19:415-8 pubmed
- Luo J, Shen W, Montell C. TRPA1 mediates sensation of the rate of temperature change in Drosophila larvae. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:34-41 pubmed publisher..These cellular and behavioral responses depended on the TRPA1 channel, whose activity responded to the rate of temperature increase...
- Zhou C, Huang H, Kim S, Lin H, Meng X, Han K, et al. Molecular genetic analysis of sexual rejection: roles of octopamine and its receptor OAMB in Drosophila courtship conditioning. J Neurosci. 2012;32:14281-7 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that OA plays an important role in courtship conditioning through its OAMB receptor expressed in a specific neuronal subset of the mushroom bodies. ..
- Fan P, Manoli D, Ahmed O, Chen Y, Agarwal N, Kwong S, et al. Genetic and neural mechanisms that inhibit Drosophila from mating with other species. Cell. 2013;154:89-102 pubmed publisher..Although this chemosensory pathway does not inhibit interspecies mating in D. melanogaster females, similar mechanisms appear to inhibit this behavior in many other male drosophilids...