Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Tom
Description: Twin of m4
Alias: Bbu, CG5185, DmelCG5185, Dmel\CG5185, anon-EST:fe1F6, barbu, bbu/tom, tom, twin of m4, CG5185-PA, Tom-PA, anon-fast-evolving-1F6, barbu
Species: fruit fly
- He F, Saito K, Kobayashi N, Harada T, Watanabe S, Kigawa T, et al. Structural and functional characterization of the NHR1 domain of the Drosophila neuralized E3 ligase in the notch signaling pathway. J Mol Biol. 2009;393:478-95 pubmed publisher..b>Tom, a Bearded protein family member, inhibits the Neur-mediated endocytosis through interactions with the NHR1 domain...
- Thomas G, van Meyel D. The glycosyltransferase Fringe promotes Delta-Notch signaling between neurons and glia, and is required for subtype-specific glial gene expression. Development. 2007;134:591-600 pubmed
- Hamel S, Fantini J, Schweisguth F. Notch ligand activity is modulated by glycosphingolipid membrane composition in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:581-94 pubmed publisher..Together, our data indicate that specific GSLs modulate the signaling activity of Notch ligands. ..
- Fontana J, Posakony J. Both inhibition and activation of Notch signaling rely on a conserved Neuralized-binding motif in Bearded proteins and the Notch ligand Delta. Dev Biol. 2009;333:373-85 pubmed publisher..Our results illuminate the mechanism of an important regulatory event in Notch signaling that appears to be conserved between insects and crustaceans. ..
- Singson A, Leviten M, Bang A, Hua X, Posakony J. Direct downstream targets of proneural activators in the imaginal disc include genes involved in lateral inhibitory signaling. Genes Dev. 1994;8:2058-71 pubmed..Thus, one of the earliest steps in adult peripheral neurogenesis is the direct activation by proneural proteins of genes involved in restricting the expression of the SOP cell fate. ..
- Zaffran S, Frasch M. Barbu: an E(spl) m4/m(alpha)-related gene that antagonizes Notch signaling and is required for the establishment of ommatidial polarity. Development. 2000;127:1115-30 pubmed..Here, we describe a new gene, Barbu, whose product can antagonize Notch signaling activity during Drosophila development...
- Chanet S, Vodovar N, Mayau V, Schweisguth F. Genome engineering-based analysis of Bearded family genes reveals both functional redundancy and a nonessential function in lateral inhibition in Drosophila. Genetics. 2009;182:1101-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that inhibition of Neur-Delta interaction by Brd family members is part of the feedback loop that underlies lateral inhibition in Drosophila...
- Jensen H, Scott I, Sims S, Trudeau V, Arnason J. The effect of a synergistic concentration of a Piper nigrum extract used in conjunction with pyrethrum upon gene expression in Drosophila melanogaster. Insect Mol Biol. 2006;15:329-39 pubmed..melanogaster treated with at least two of the following treatments: P. nigrum, pyrethrum or P. nigrum plus pyrethrum. These are likely implicated in Drosophila defence responses to toxins...
- Dawes Hoang R, Wieschaus E. Cell and developmental biology--a shared past, an intertwined future. Dev Cell. 2001;1:27-36 pubmed..Our goal in this commentary is to examine the common origin of cell and developmental biology, to explore ways in which they currently interact, and to consider the connections and differences that exist between these two fields. ..
- Duncan E, Dearden P. Evolution of a genomic regulatory domain: the role of gene co-option and gene duplication in the Enhancer of split complex. Genome Res. 2010;20:917-28 pubmed publisher..We discuss the consequence of this conserved domain for the recruitment of novel genes into the Notch signaling cascade. ..
- Nagel A, Apidianakis Y, Wech I, Maier D, Delidakis C, Preiss A. Neural hyperplasia induced by RNA interference with m4/malpha gene activity. Mech Dev. 2000;98:19-28 pubmed..Furthermore, a third member of the m4/malpha gene family, named bbu/tom, behaves differently with respect to RNA expression patterns, its regulation by Notch signaling and loss of ..
- Ulvklo C, Macdonald R, Bivik C, Baumgardt M, Karlsson D, Thor S. Control of neuronal cell fate and number by integration of distinct daughter cell proliferation modes with temporal progression. Development. 2012;139:678-89 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that different daughter cell proliferation modes can be integrated with temporal competence changes, and suggests a novel mechanism for coordinately controlling neuronal subtype numbers. ..
- Lai E, Bodner R, Kavaler J, Freschi G, Posakony J. Antagonism of notch signaling activity by members of a novel protein family encoded by the bearded and enhancer of split gene complexes. Development. 2000;127:291-306 pubmed..These results suggest that Bearded family genes encode a novel class of effectors or modulators of Notch signaling. ..
- Bivik C, MacDonald R, Gunnar E, Mazouni K, Schweisguth F, Thor S. Control of Neural Daughter Cell Proliferation by Multi-level Notch/Su(H)/E(spl)-HLH Signaling. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005984 pubmed publisher..These results point to a multi-level signaling model and may help shed light on the dichotomous proliferative role of Notch signaling in many other systems. ..