Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tkv
Alias: Atkv, Atr25D, Brk25D, Brk25D1, Brk25D2, CG14026, Dmel\CG14026, Dtfr, STK-A, TKV, TKV1, Tkv, dtfr, l(2)04415, l(2)25Da, str, tkv1, tkva, thickveins, Activin-A-receptor-25D, BMP receptor kinase 25D, CG14026-PA, CG14026-PB, CG14026-PC, CG14026-PD, DPP receptor, Thick-vein, Thick-veins, slater, thick veins, thickvein, tkv-PA, tkv-PB, tkv-PC, tkv-PD
Species: fruit fly
- Entchev E, Schwabedissen A, Gonzalez Gaitan M. Gradient formation of the TGF-beta homolog Dpp. Cell. 2000;103:981-91 pubmed..Evidence is presented that long-range Dpp movement involves Dpp receptor and Dynamin functions...
- Dorfman R, Shilo B. Biphasic activation of the BMP pathway patterns the Drosophila embryonic dorsal region. Development. 2001;128:965-72 pubmed..Indeed, the early pMad pattern is abolished when either the Scw receptor Saxophone (Sax), the Dpp receptor Thickveins (Tkv), or Dpp are removed...
- Baines R. Synaptic strengthening mediated by bone morphogenetic protein-dependent retrograde signaling in the Drosophila CNS. J Neurosci. 2004;24:6904-11 pubmed..Thus, presynaptic expression of an activated TGF-beta receptor, thickvien (tkv), or postsynaptic expression of a TGF-beta ligand, glass-bottom boat (gbb), is sufficient to phenocopy ..
- Oh H, Irvine K. Cooperative regulation of growth by Yorkie and Mad through bantam. Dev Cell. 2011;20:109-22 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that in promoting the growth of Drosophila tissues, Fat-Hippo and Dpp signaling contribute distinct subunits of a shared transcriptional activation complex, Yorkie:Mad...
- Escudero L, Bischoff M, Freeman M. Myosin II regulates complex cellular arrangement and epithelial architecture in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2007;13:717-29 pubmed..Our work implies that regulation of the actomyosin cytoskeleton can control morphogenesis by regulating both individual cell shapes and their complex two-dimensional arrangement within epithelia. ..
- Ratnaparkhi A, Lawless G, Schweizer F, GOLSHANI P, Jackson G. A Drosophila model of ALS: human ALS-associated mutation in VAP33A suggests a dominant negative mechanism. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2334 pubmed publisher..This new fly model of ALS, with its robust pathological phenotypes, should for the first time allow the power of unbiased screens in Drosophila to be applied to study of motor neuron diseases. ..
- Escudero L, Freeman M. Mechanism of G1 arrest in the Drosophila eye imaginal disc. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:13 pubmed..The unexpectedly complex network of regulation may reflect the importance of cells being uniformly ready to respond to the inductive signals that coordinate retinal differentiation. ..
- Zhang X, Luo D, Pflugfelder G, Shen J. Dpp signaling inhibits proliferation in the Drosophila wing by Omb-dependent regional control of bantam. Development. 2013;140:2917-22 pubmed publisher..However, neither the Dpp nor Omb gradient was essential for uniform proliferation along the anteroposterior axis. ..
- Theisen H, Haerry T, O Connor M, Marsh J. Developmental territories created by mutual antagonism between Wingless and Decapentaplegic. Development. 1996;122:3939-48 pubmed..We propose that the anterior compartment of the leg disc is divided into dorsal and ventral territories by the mutual antagonism between WG and DPP signaling. ..
- Raftery L, Sutherland D. TGF-beta family signal transduction in Drosophila development: from Mad to Smads. Dev Biol. 1999;210:251-68 pubmed..Identification of more ligand sequences and demonstration of a functional Drosophila activin-like signal transduction pathway suggest that all TGF-beta signal transduction pathways are present in flies. ..
- Kawase E, Wong M, Ding B, Xie T. Gbb/Bmp signaling is essential for maintaining germline stem cells and for repressing bam transcription in the Drosophila testis. Development. 2004;131:1365-75 pubmed..dpp signaling is known to be essential for maintaining GSCs in the Drosophila ovary. This study further suggests that both Drosophila male and female GSCs use Bmp signals to maintain GSCs. ..
- Marty T, Vigano M, Ribeiro C, Nussbaumer U, Grieder N, Affolter M. A HOX complex, a repressor element and a 50 bp sequence confer regional specificity to a DPP-responsive enhancer. Development. 2001;128:2833-45 pubmed
- Eivers E, Demagny H, Choi R, De Robertis E. Phosphorylation of Mad controls competition between wingless and BMP signaling. Sci Signal. 2011;4:ra68 pubmed publisher..The results show that Mad has distinct signal transduction roles in the BMP and Wnt pathways depending on its phosphorylation state. ..
- Torres Vazquez J, Park S, Warrior R, Arora K. The transcription factor Schnurri plays a dual role in mediating Dpp signaling during embryogenesis. Development. 2001;128:1657-70 pubmed..We find that Shn-mediated relief of brk repression establishes broad domains of gene activation, while the brk-independent input from Shn is crucial for defining the precise limits and levels of Dpp target gene expression in the embryo. ..
- Rawson J, Lee M, Kennedy E, Selleck S. Drosophila neuromuscular synapse assembly and function require the TGF-beta type I receptor saxophone and the transcription factor Mad. J Neurobiol. 2003;55:134-50 pubmed
- O Connor M, Umulis D, Othmer H, Blair S. Shaping BMP morphogen gradients in the Drosophila embryo and pupal wing. Development. 2006;133:183-93 pubmed..Because these signaling pathway components are all conserved, these observations should shed light on how BMP signaling is modulated in vertebrate development. ..
- Dudu V, Bittig T, Entchev E, Kicheva A, Jülicher F, Gonzalez Gaitan M. Postsynaptic mad signaling at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. Curr Biol. 2006;16:625-35 pubmed..The type I receptor Thick veins (Tkv) and the R-Smad transcription factor Mothers-against-dpp (Mad) are localized postsynaptically in the ..
- Adachi Yamada T, O Connor M. Morphogenetic apoptosis: a mechanism for correcting discontinuities in morphogen gradients. Dev Biol. 2002;251:74-90 pubmed..This phenomenon is likely related to the process of cell competition, and we suggest that it is an evolutionarily important mechanism that helps prevent abnormal tissue specification and growth during development. ..
- Gibson M, Lehman D, Schubiger G. Lumenal transmission of decapentaplegic in Drosophila imaginal discs. Dev Cell. 2002;3:451-60 pubmed..These results are consistent with lumenal transmission of the DPP survival signal during imaginal disc development. ..
- Roy S, Hsiung F, Kornberg T. Specificity of Drosophila cytonemes for distinct signaling pathways. Science. 2011;332:354-8 pubmed publisher..growth factor protein, Bnl), to which they segregate the Bnl receptor, and another to which they segregate the Dpp receptor. We conclude that cells can make several types of cytonemes, each of which responds specifically to a signaling ..
- Miles W, Jaffray E, Campbell S, Takeda S, Bayston L, Basu S, et al. Medea SUMOylation restricts the signaling range of the Dpp morphogen in the Drosophila embryo. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2578-90 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results identify an unusual strategy for regulating morphogen range that, rather than impacting on the morphogen itself, targets an intracellular transducer...
- Horsfield J, Penton A, Secombe J, Hoffman F, Richardson H. decapentaplegic is required for arrest in G1 phase during Drosophila eye development. Development. 1998;125:5069-78 pubmed..In addition, our results provide evidence for a Dpp-independent mechanism that acts in the posterior part of the morphogenetic furrow to maintain G1 arrest. ..
- Keshishian H, Kim Y. Orchestrating development and function: retrograde BMP signaling in the Drosophila nervous system. Trends Neurosci. 2004;27:143-7 pubmed..Together, the results suggest that retrograde growth factor signaling by BMPs integrates neuromuscular development and function at both local and global levels in the animal. ..
- Gorostiza E, Ceriani M. Retrograde bone morphogenetic protein signaling shapes a key circadian pacemaker circuit. J Neurosci. 2013;33:687-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have uncovered a novel mechanism that provides an early "tagging" of synaptic targets that will guide circuit refinement later in development. ..
- Xie T, Spradling A. decapentaplegic is essential for the maintenance and division of germline stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. Cell. 1998;94:251-60 pubmed..We constructed mutant germline stem cell clones to show that the dpp signal is directly received by germline stem cells. Thus, dpp signaling helps define a niche that controls germline stem cell proliferation. ..
- Yagi R, Mayer F, Basler K. Refined LexA transactivators and their use in combination with the Drosophila Gal4 system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:16166-71 pubmed publisher..The optimized LexA system facilitates precise analyses of complex biological phenomena and signaling pathways in Drosophila. ..
- Fujise M, Takeo S, Kamimura K, Matsuo T, Aigaki T, Izumi S, et al. Dally regulates Dpp morphogen gradient formation in the Drosophila wing. Development. 2003;130:1515-22 pubmed..dally expression in the wing disc is controlled by the same molecular pathways that regulate expression of thick veins, which encodes a Dpp type I receptor...
- Fu W, Baker N. Deciphering synergistic and redundant roles of Hedgehog, Decapentaplegic and Delta that drive the wave of differentiation in Drosophila eye development. Development. 2003;130:5229-39 pubmed..Notch acted in part through downregulation of Hairy; Hh signaling downregulated Hairy independently of Notch. One feature of this signaling network is to limit Dpp signaling spatially to a range coincident with Hh. ..
- Marques G, Haerry T, Crotty M, Xue M, Zhang B, O Connor M. Retrograde Gbb signaling through the Bmp type 2 receptor wishful thinking regulates systemic FMRFa expression in Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:5457-70 pubmed..We propose that Wit and Gbb globally regulate NMJ function by controlling both the growth and transmitter release properties of the synapse as well as the expression of systemic modulators of NMJ synaptic activity. ..
- Schwank G, Restrepo S, Basler K. Growth regulation by Dpp: an essential role for Brinker and a non-essential role for graded signaling levels. Development. 2008;135:4003-13 pubmed publisher..The Dpp-Brk system converts an inherently uneven growth program, with excessive cell proliferation in lateral regions and low proliferation in medial regions, into a spatially homogeneous profile of cell divisions throughout the disc. ..
- de Celis J. Expression and function of decapentaplegic and thick veins during the differentiation of the veins in the Drosophila wing. Development. 1997;124:1007-18 pubmed..Decapentaplegic, acting through its receptor Thick veins, activates vein differentiation and restricts expression of both veinlet and the Notch-ligand Delta to the ..
- Panàkovà D, Sprong H, Marois E, Thiele C, Eaton S. Lipoprotein particles are required for Hedgehog and Wingless signalling. Nature. 2005;435:58-65 pubmed..Similarly, the range of Wingless signalling is narrowed. We propose a novel function for lipoprotein particles, in which they act as vehicles for the movement of lipid-linked morphogens and glycophosphatidylinositol-linked proteins. ..
- Zeng Y, Rahnama M, Wang S, Sosu Sedzorme W, Verheyen E. Drosophila Nemo antagonizes BMP signaling by phosphorylation of Mad and inhibition of its nuclear accumulation. Development. 2007;134:2061-71 pubmed..This is the first example of the inhibition of Drosophila BMP signaling by a MAPK and represents a novel mechanism of Smad inhibition through the phosphorylation of a conserved serine residue within the MH1 domain of Mad. ..
- Estella C, Mckay D, Mann R. Molecular integration of wingless, decapentaplegic, and autoregulatory inputs into Distalless during Drosophila leg development. Dev Cell. 2008;14:86-96 pubmed publisher..The "trigger-maintenance" model describes a mechanism by which secreted morphogens act combinatorially to induce the stable expression of target genes. ..
- Tsuneizumi K, Nakayama T, Kamoshida Y, Kornberg T, Christian J, Tabata T. Daughters against dpp modulates dpp organizing activity in Drosophila wing development. Nature. 1997;389:627-31 pubmed..In contrast to Mad or the activated Dpp receptor, whose overexpression hyperactivates the Dpp signalling pathway, overexpression of Dad blocks Dpp activity...
- Eaton B, Davis G. LIM Kinase1 controls synaptic stability downstream of the type II BMP receptor. Neuron. 2005;47:695-708 pubmed..DLIMK1 localizes near synaptic microtubules and functions independently of ADF/cofilin, highlighting a novel requirement for DLIMK1 during synapse stabilization rather than actin-dependent axon outgrowth. ..
- Shimmi O, Umulis D, Othmer H, O Connor M. Facilitated transport of a Dpp/Scw heterodimer by Sog/Tsg leads to robust patterning of the Drosophila blastoderm embryo. Cell. 2005;120:873-86 pubmed..primary transported ligand and that the heterodimer signals synergistically through the two type I BMP receptors Tkv and Sax...
- Marty T, Muller B, Basler K, Affolter M. Schnurri mediates Dpp-dependent repression of brinker transcription. Nat Cell Biol. 2000;2:745-9 pubmed..essential components of the Dpp signalling pathway have been identified, including the Dpp receptors Punt and Thick veins (Tkv) as well as the cytoplasmic mediators Mad and Medea...
- Bennett D, Alphey L. PP1 binds Sara and negatively regulates Dpp signaling in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Genet. 2002;31:419-23 pubmed..Together these data suggest that PP1c is targeted to Dpp receptor complexes by Sara, where it acts as a negative regulator of Dpp signaling by affecting the phosphorylation ..
- Pyrowolakis G, Hartmann B, Muller B, Basler K, Affolter M. A simple molecular complex mediates widespread BMP-induced repression during Drosophila development. Dev Cell. 2004;7:229-40 pubmed..DNA sequence, a Dpp-dependent silencer element, is sufficient to confer repression of gene transcription upon Dpp receptor activation and nuclear translocation of Mad and Medea...
- Liang Y, Lin X, Liang M, Brunicardi F, Ten Dijke P, Chen Z, et al. dSmurf selectively degrades decapentaplegic-activated MAD, and its overexpression disrupts imaginal disc development. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:26307-10 pubmed..but not Medea and Dad, and the MAD-dSmurf interaction was induced by constitutively active DPP type I receptor thickveins. Wild type dSmurf, but not its C1029A mutant, mediated ubiquitination-dependent degradation of MAD...
- Goto S, Hayashi S. Specification of the embryonic limb primordium by graded activity of Decapentaplegic. Development. 1997;124:125-32 pubmed..We propose that Wingless and Decapentaplegic act sequentially to initiate the proximodistal axis. ..
- Conley C, Silburn R, Singer M, Ralston A, Rohwer Nutter D, Olson D, et al. Crossveinless 2 contains cysteine-rich domains and is required for high levels of BMP-like activity during the formation of the cross veins in Drosophila. Development. 2000;127:3947-59 pubmed..These features strongly suggest that Crossveinless 2 acts extracelluarly or in the secretory pathway to directly potentiate Dpp or Gbb signaling. ..
- Liu M, Lim T, Cai Y. The Drosophila female germline stem cell lineage acts to spatially restrict DPP function within the niche. Sci Signal. 2010;3:ra57 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data reveal that the reciprocal crosstalk between the GSCs and the somatic cells defines the spatial limits of DPP action and therefore the extent of the GSC niche. ..
- del Alamo Rodríguez D, Terriente Felix J, Diaz Benjumea F. The role of the T-box gene optomotor-blind in patterning the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2004;268:481-92 pubmed..is required to establish the graded expression of the decapentaplegic type I receptor encoded by the gene thick veins (tkv) to repress the expression of the gene master of thick veins and also to activate the expression of spalt (..
- Capdevila J, lzpisúa Belmonte J. Extracellular modulation of the Hedgehog, Wnt and TGF-beta signalling pathways during embryonic development. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1999;9:427-33 pubmed
- Kruse K, Pantazis P, Bollenbach T, Jülicher F, Gonzalez Gaitan M. Dpp gradient formation by dynamin-dependent endocytosis: receptor trafficking and the diffusion model. Development. 2004;131:4843-56 pubmed..We conclude that current models considering pure extracellular diffusion cannot explain the observed role of endocytosis during Dpp long-range movement. ..
- Shen J, Dahmann C. The role of Dpp signaling in maintaining the Drosophila anteroposterior compartment boundary. Dev Biol. 2005;279:31-43 pubmed..We propose that Dpp signaling is required for anterior cells to interpret the Hedgehog signal in order to specify segregation properties important for maintaining the A/P boundary. ..
- Lee Hoeflich S, Zhao X, Mehra A, Attisano L. The Drosophila type II receptor, Wishful thinking, binds BMP and myoglianin to activate multiple TGFbeta family signaling pathways. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:4615-21 pubmed..We observed that BMP4 and BMP7, bound to receptor complexes comprised of Wit and the type I receptor thickveins and saxophone to activate a BMP-like signaling pathway...
- Riesgo Escovar J, Hafen E. Drosophila Jun kinase regulates expression of decapentaplegic via the ETS-domain protein Aop and the AP-1 transcription factor DJun during dorsal closure. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1717-27 pubmed..Interestingly, in vertebrates, transforming growth factor-beta and c-Jun regulate collagenase gene expression during wound healing, a process that also involves the closing of an epithelial sheath. ..
- Sotillos S, de Celis J. Interactions between the Notch, EGFR, and decapentaplegic signaling pathways regulate vein differentiation during Drosophila pupal wing development. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:738-52 pubmed..Once dpp expression is initiated, Dpp and EGFR activities in the provein maintain each other and, in cooperation, determine vein cell differentiation. ..
- Sutherland D, Li M, Liu X, Stefancsik R, Raftery L. Stepwise formation of a SMAD activity gradient during dorsal-ventral patterning of the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2003;130:5705-16 pubmed..Subsequently, BMP activity creates a step gradient of SMAD responses that patterns the amnioserosa and dorsomedial ectoderm. ..
- McCabe B, Hom S, Aberle H, Fetter R, Marques G, Haerry T, et al. Highwire regulates presynaptic BMP signaling essential for synaptic growth. Neuron. 2004;41:891-905 pubmed..of a presynaptic bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) signaling cascade consisting of three receptor subunits, Wit, Tkv, and Sax, in addition to the Smad transcription factor Mad...
- Baonza A, Freeman M. Control of cell proliferation in the Drosophila eye by Notch signaling. Dev Cell. 2005;8:529-39 pubmed..Delta to Notch signaling derepresses the inhibition of dE2F1 by RBF, and Delta expression depends on the secreted proteins Hedgehog and Dpp. Notch is also required for the expression of Cyclin A in the SMW. ..
- Llimargas M. Wingless and its signalling pathway have common and separable functions during tracheal development. Development. 2000;127:4407-17 pubmed..The results suggest that another gene product, possibly a WNT, could help to trigger the wingless cascade in the developing tracheae. ..
- de Celis J, Barrio R, Kafatos F. Regulation of the spalt/spalt-related gene complex and its function during sensory organ development in the Drosophila thorax. Development. 1999;126:2653-62 pubmed..We postulate that spalt and spalt-related belong to a category of transcriptional regulators that subdivide the thorax into expression domains (prepattern) required for the localised activation of proneural genes. ..
- Funakoshi Y, Minami M, Tabata T. mtv shapes the activity gradient of the Dpp morphogen through regulation of thickveins. Development. 2001;128:67-74 pubmed..and activity of Dpp signaling is controlled in part by the level of expression of its major type I receptor, thickveins (tkv). The level of tkv is dynamically regulated by En and Hh...
- Shimmi O, O Connor M. Physical properties of Tld, Sog, Tsg and Dpp protein interactions are predicted to help create a sharp boundary in Bmp signals during dorsoventral patterning of the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2003;130:4673-82 pubmed..Such a mechanism also explains how a sharp rather than smooth signaling boundary is formed. ..
- Blanchard G, Murugesu S, Adams R, Martinez Arias A, Gorfinkiel N. Cytoskeletal dynamics and supracellular organisation of cell shape fluctuations during dorsal closure. Development. 2010;137:2743-52 pubmed publisher..b>thick veins mutant embryos, which exhibited defects in the actin cable at the leading edge, showed similar timings of ..
- Xia L, Jia S, Huang S, Wang H, Zhu Y, Mu Y, et al. The Fused/Smurf complex controls the fate of Drosophila germline stem cells by generating a gradient BMP response. Cell. 2010;143:978-90 pubmed publisher..functions in concert with the E3 ligase Smurf to regulate ubiquitination and proteolysis of the BMP receptor Thickveins in CBs...
- Wang X, Shaw W, Tsang H, Reid E, O Kane C. Drosophila spichthyin inhibits BMP signaling and regulates synaptic growth and axonal microtubules. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:177-85 pubmed
- Makhijani K, Kalyani C, Srividya T, Shashidhara L. Modulation of Decapentaplegic gradient during haltere specification in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2007;302:243-55 pubmed..We discuss how this complexity may regulate the final form of the adult haltere in the fly, without compromising features such as cell survival, which is also dependent on Decapentaplegic signaling. ..
- Wada A, Kato K, Uwo M, Yonemura S, Hayashi S. Specialized extraembryonic cells connect embryonic and extraembryonic epidermis in response to Dpp during dorsal closure in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2007;301:340-9 pubmed..Looking at alphaPS3, type I Dpp receptor, and JNK mutants, we found that pAS cell motility was altered and pAS and dorsal epidermis adhesion failed ..
- Jazwinska A, Kirov N, Wieschaus E, Roth S, Rushlow C. The Drosophila gene brinker reveals a novel mechanism of Dpp target gene regulation. Cell. 1999;96:563-73 pubmed..brk itself is negatively regulated by Dpp. Dpp signaling might relieve brk's repression of low-level target genes either by transcriptional repression of brk or by antagonizing a repressor function of brk at the target gene promoters. ..
- Michel M, Raabe I, Kupinski A, Pérez Palencia R, Bökel C. Local BMP receptor activation at adherens junctions in the Drosophila germline stem cell niche. Nat Commun. 2011;2:415 pubmed publisher..We, therefore, propose that local generation of the BMP signal is achieved through shared use of the Cadherin transport machinery. ..
- Scuderi A, Letsou A. Amnioserosa is required for dorsal closure in Drosophila. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:791-800 pubmed
- Bradley P, Andrew D. ribbon encodes a novel BTB/POZ protein required for directed cell migration in Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 2001;128:3001-15 pubmed..Directed cell migration of the salivary gland and dorsal epidermis are also affected in ribbon mutants, suggesting that conserved mechanisms may be employed to orient cell migrations in multiple tissues during development. ..
- Gesualdi S, Haerry T. Distinct signaling of Drosophila Activin/TGF-beta family members. Fly (Austin). 2007;1:212-21 pubmed..The distinct signaling of dACT, DAW and MYO through BABO suggests the existence of co-receptors that modulate the canonical SMAD pathway. ..
- Wang Y, Ferguson E. Spatial bistability of Dpp-receptor interactions during Drosophila dorsal-ventral patterning. Nature. 2005;434:229-34 pubmed
- Ribeiro C, Neumann M, Affolter M. Genetic control of cell intercalation during tracheal morphogenesis in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2004;14:2197-207 pubmed..Only the combined action of these signaling systems allows efficient branch elongation and the formation of morphologically distinct branches. ..
- Das P, Maduzia L, Wang H, Finelli A, Cho S, Smith M, et al. The Drosophila gene Medea demonstrates the requirement for different classes of Smads in dpp signaling. Development. 1998;125:1519-28 pubmed..These results provide a paradigm for, and distinguish between, the requirement for class I and II Smads in Dpp/BMP signaling. ..
- Steneberg P, Hemphälä J, Samakovlis C. Dpp and Notch specify the fusion cell fate in the dorsal branches of the Drosophila trachea. Mech Dev. 1999;87:153-63 pubmed..Ectopic expression of Dpp or the activated form of the Dpp receptor Tkv in all tracheal cells induces ectopic fusions of the tracheal lumen and ectopic expression of fusion gene ..
- Sivasankaran R, Vigano M, Muller B, Affolter M, Basler K. Direct transcriptional control of the Dpp target omb by the DNA binding protein Brinker. EMBO J. 2000;19:6162-72 pubmed..Our results therefore identify Brk as a novel transcription factor antagonizing Dpp signalling by directly binding target genes and repressing their expression. ..
- Kerszberg M, Wolpert L. Specifying positional information in the embryo: looking beyond morphogens. Cell. 2007;130:205-9 pubmed..It is now becoming clear that additional or alternative mechanisms involving interactions among cells are also crucial for positional specification. ..
- Weiss A, Charbonnier E, Ellertsdottir E, Tsirigos A, Wolf C, Schuh R, et al. A conserved activation element in BMP signaling during Drosophila development. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:69-76 pubmed publisher..The AE allows the identification of hitherto unknown direct Dpp targets and is functionally conserved in vertebrates. ..
- Khalsa O, Yoon J, Torres Schumann S, Wharton K. TGF-beta/BMP superfamily members, Gbb-60A and Dpp, cooperate to provide pattern information and establish cell identity in the Drosophila wing. Development. 1998;125:2723-34 pubmed..Furthermore, the critical ratio of Gbb-60A to Dpp signaling appears to be mediated by both Tkv and Sax type I receptors.
- Su Y, Treisman J, Skolnik E. The Drosophila Ste20-related kinase misshapen is required for embryonic dorsal closure and acts through a JNK MAPK module on an evolutionarily conserved signaling pathway. Genes Dev. 1998;12:2371-80 pubmed..elegans. These data suggest that msn, mig-15, and NIK are components of a signaling pathway that is conserved among flies, worms, and mammals to control developmentally regulated pathways. ..
- Kirkpatrick H, Johnson K, Laughon A. Repression of dpp targets by binding of brinker to mad sites. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:18216-22 pubmed..Finally, we provide evidence that Brk is capable of functioning as an active repressor. Thus, whereas Brk and Mad compete for regulation of Ubx and vg, Brk may regulate other Dpp targets without direct involvement of Mad. ..
- Bessa J, Gebelein B, Pichaud F, Casares F, Mann R. Combinatorial control of Drosophila eye development by eyeless, homothorax, and teashirt. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2415-27 pubmed..A key step in the transition from an immature proliferative state to a committed state in eye development is the repression of hth by the BMP-4 homolog Decapentaplegic (Dpp). ..
- Sweeney S, Davis G. Unrestricted synaptic growth in spinster-a late endosomal protein implicated in TGF-beta-mediated synaptic growth regulation. Neuron. 2002;36:403-16 pubmed..Furthermore, mutations in Dad, an inhibitory Smad, cause synapse overgrowth. We present a model for synaptic growth control with implications for the etiology of lysosomal storage and neurodegenerative disease. ..
- Shravage B, Altmann G, Technau M, Roth S. The role of Dpp and its inhibitors during eggshell patterning in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:2261-71 pubmed
- Gao S, Laughon A. Decapentaplegic-responsive silencers contain overlapping mad-binding sites. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:25781-90 pubmed..Overlapping Mad sites predominate in decapentaplegic response elements, consistent with a high degree of specificity in response to signaling. ..
- Rogulja D, Irvine K. Regulation of cell proliferation by a morphogen gradient. Cell. 2005;123:449-61 pubmed..Conversely, uniform activation of the DPP pathway inhibits cell proliferation in medial wing cells. Our observations provide a direct demonstration that the slope of a morphogen gradient regulates growth during development. ..
- Akiyama T, Kamimura K, Firkus C, Takeo S, Shimmi O, Nakato H. Dally regulates Dpp morphogen gradient formation by stabilizing Dpp on the cell surface. Dev Biol. 2008;313:408-19 pubmed..Furthermore, genetic interaction experiments revealed that Dally antagonizes the effect of Thickveins (Tkv; a Dpp type I receptor) on Dpp signaling...
- Lecuit T, Cohen S. Dpp receptor levels contribute to shaping the Dpp morphogen gradient in the Drosophila wing imaginal disc. Development. 1998;125:4901-7 pubmed..Expression levels of the Dpp receptor thick veins (tkv) are not uniform along the anterior-posterior axis of the wing imaginal disc...
- Belenkaya T, Han C, Yan D, Opoka R, Khodoun M, Liu H, et al. Drosophila Dpp morphogen movement is independent of dynamin-mediated endocytosis but regulated by the glypican members of heparan sulfate proteoglycans. Cell. 2004;119:231-44 pubmed..Our results support a model in which Dpp moves along the cell surface by restricted extracellular diffusion involving the glypicans Dally and Dly. ..