Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tj
Description: traffic jam
Alias: CG10034, DM13, Dmaf, Dmel\CG10034, PL3, fs(2)eo-B, fs(2)eo2, fs(2)eoPL3, maf-L, maf1, traffic jam, CG10034-PB, CG10034-PC, Traffic-Jam, female sterile(2)eo2, tj-PB, tj-PC
Species: fruit fly
- Leatherman J, Dinardo S. Germline self-renewal requires cyst stem cells and stat regulates niche adhesion in Drosophila testes. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:806-11 pubmed publisher..This work also reconciles key differences in GSC renewal between Drosophila testis and ovary niches, and highlights how a niche can coordinate the production of distinct lineages by having one stem cell type rely on a second. ..
- Robine N, Lau N, Balla S, Jin Z, Okamura K, Kuramochi Miyagawa S, et al. A broadly conserved pathway generates 3'UTR-directed primary piRNAs. Curr Biol. 2009;19:2066-76 pubmed publisher..Third, the protein output of traffic jam, whose 3'UTR generates abundant piRNAs, is increased in piwi mutant follicle clones...
- Leatherman J, Dinardo S. Zfh-1 controls somatic stem cell self-renewal in the Drosophila testis and nonautonomously influences germline stem cell self-renewal. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;3:44-54 pubmed publisher..In contrast, germline-intrinsic STAT activation was insufficient for GSC renewal. These data reveal unexpected complexity in cell interactions in the niche, implicating CPCs in GSC self-renewal. ..
- Flaherty M, Salis P, Evans C, Ekas L, Marouf A, Zavadil J, et al. chinmo is a functional effector of the JAK/STAT pathway that regulates eye development, tumor formation, and stem cell self-renewal in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2010;18:556-68 pubmed publisher..Like hyperactivated Stat92E, Chinmo misexpression in CySCs is sufficient to maintain GSCs nonautonomously. Chinmo is therefore a key effector of JAK/STAT signaling in a variety of developmental and pathological contexts. ..
- Saito K, Inagaki S, Mituyama T, Kawamura Y, Ono Y, Sakota E, et al. A regulatory circuit for piwi by the large Maf gene traffic jam in Drosophila. Nature. 2009;461:1296-9 pubmed publisher..In addition to flamenco, a Piwi-specific piRNA cluster, traffic jam (tj), a large Maf gene, was determined as a new piRNA cluster...
- Li M, Alls J, Avancini R, Koo K, Godt D. The large Maf factor Traffic Jam controls gonad morphogenesis in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2003;5:994-1000 pubmed..Here we show that the gene traffic jam (tj) produces a soma-specific factor that controls gonad morphogenesis and is required for female and male ..
- Monahan A, Starz Gaiano M. Apontic regulates somatic stem cell numbers in Drosophila testes. BMC Dev Biol. 2016;16:5 pubmed publisher..We propose that Apt acts as a core component of a STAT-regulatory circuit to prevent stem cell overpopulation and allow stem cell maturation. ..
- Tripathy R, Kunwar P, Sano H, Renault A. Transcriptional regulation of Drosophila gonad formation. Dev Biol. 2014;392:193-208 pubmed publisher..Our findings support the idea that although the transcription factors required by SGPs can ostensibly be assigned to those being required for either SGP specification or behaviour, they can also interact to impinge on both processes. ..
- Darricarrère N, Liu N, Watanabe T, Lin H. Function of Piwi, a nuclear Piwi/Argonaute protein, is independent of its slicer activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:1297-302 pubmed publisher..Instead, it is consistent with the alternative mode of Piwi function as a molecule involved in the piRNA-directed guidance of epigenetic factors to chromatin. ..
- Wingert L, Dinardo S. Traffic jam functions in a branched pathway from Notch activation to niche cell fate. Development. 2015;142:2268-77 pubmed publisher..Here, we have identified a role for the large Maf transcription factor Traffic jam (Tj) in hub cell specification downstream of Notch...
- Hempel L, Oliver B. Sex-specific DoublesexM expression in subsets of Drosophila somatic gonad cells. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:113 pubmed..The continuous expression of DSX(M) in cells contacting the germline suggests an ongoing short-range influence of the somatic sex determination pathway on germ cell development. ..
- Hongay C, Orr Weaver T. Drosophila Inducer of MEiosis 4 (IME4) is required for Notch signaling during oogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:14855-60 pubmed publisher..In yeast, this enzyme is responsible for a crucial developmental decision, whereas in Drosophila it appears to target the conserved Notch signaling pathway, which regulates many vital aspects of metazoan development. ..
- König A, Shcherbata H. Visualization of adult stem cells within their niches using the Drosophila germline as a model system. Methods Mol Biol. 2013;1035:25-33 pubmed publisher..Here we describe how Drosophilae germaria can be dissected and specifically immuno-stained to allow for identification and analysis of both the adult stem cells and their somatic niche cells. ..
- Mugat B, Akkouche A, Serrano V, Armenise C, Li B, Brun C, et al. MicroRNA-Dependent Transcriptional Silencing of Transposable Elements in Drosophila Follicle Cells. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005194 pubmed publisher..This work is one of the examples of detectable phenotypes caused by loss of individual miRNAs in Drosophila and the first genetic evidence that miRNAs have a role in the maintenance of genome stability via piRNA-mediated TE repression. ..
- Gancz D, Lengil T, Gilboa L. Coordinated regulation of niche and stem cell precursors by hormonal signaling. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001202 pubmed publisher..Similar principles might govern the formation of additional stem cell units during organogenesis. ..
- Mendes C, Mirth C. Stage-Specific Plasticity in Ovary Size Is Regulated by Insulin/Insulin-Like Growth Factor and Ecdysone Signaling in Drosophila. Genetics. 2016;202:703-19 pubmed publisher..Our work deepens our understanding of how hormones act to modify the sensitivity of organs to environmental conditions, thereby affecting their plasticity. ..
- Eliazer S, Shalaby N, Buszczak M. Loss of lysine-specific demethylase 1 nonautonomously causes stem cell tumors in the Drosophila ovary. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:7064-9 pubmed publisher..The role of Lsd1 in regulating niche-specific signals may have important implications for understanding how disruption of its mammalian homolog contributes to cancer and metastasis. ..
- Jin Z, Flynt A, Lai E. Drosophila piwi mutants exhibit germline stem cell tumors that are sustained by elevated Dpp signaling. Curr Biol. 2013;23:1442-8 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that loss of Piwi causes defects in ICs and escort cells, leading to ectopic Dpp signaling and consequent blockage of GSC differentiation. ..
- Gonzalez J, Qi H, Liu N, Lin H. Piwi Is a Key Regulator of Both Somatic and Germline Stem Cells in the Drosophila Testis. Cell Rep. 2015;12:150-161 pubmed publisher..Our work reveals the cell-autonomous function of Piwi in both somatic and germline stem cell types, with somatic function possibly via its epigenetic mechanism. ..
- Parma D, Bennett P, Boswell R. Mago Nashi and Tsunagi/Y14, respectively, regulate Drosophila germline stem cell differentiation and oocyte specification. Dev Biol. 2007;308:507-19 pubmed..On the other hand, Tsunagi/Y14 is essential for restricting oocyte fate to a single cell and may function with mago nashi in this process. ..
- Mack N, Georgiou M. The interdependence of the Rho GTPases and apicobasal cell polarity. Small Gtpases. 2014;5:10 pubmed publisher..Regarding this latter theme, we provide further discussion of the potential plasticity of the cell polarity machinery and as a result the possible implications for human disease. ..
- Jemc J, Milutinovich A, Weyers J, Takeda Y, Van Doren M. raw Functions through JNK signaling and cadherin-based adhesion to regulate Drosophila gonad morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2012;367:114-25 pubmed publisher..Further, loss of raw results in mislocalization of ?-catenin away from the cell surface. Therefore, cadherin-based cell adhesion, likely at the level of ?-catenin, is a primary mechanism by which Raw regulates germline-soma interaction. ..
- Weyers J, Milutinovich A, Takeda Y, Jemc J, Van Doren M. A genetic screen for mutations affecting gonad formation in Drosophila reveals a role for the slit/robo pathway. Dev Biol. 2011;353:217-28 pubmed publisher..Our findings shed light on the complexities of gonadogenesis and the genetic regulation required for proper organ formation. ..
- Fidler A, Boulay L, Wawersik M. Sonication-facilitated immunofluorescence staining of late-stage embryonic and larval Drosophila tissues in situ. J Vis Exp. 2014;:e51528 pubmed publisher..As a proof of concept for this sonication-facilitated protocol, we show immunostains of three tissue types (testes, ovaries, and neural tissues) at a range of developmental stages. ..
- Morris L, Spradling A. Steroid signaling within Drosophila ovarian epithelial cells sex-specifically modulates early germ cell development and meiotic entry. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46109 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that steroid signaling plays an important sex-specific role in early germ cell development in Drosophila, a strategy that may be conserved in mammals...
- Morillo Prado J, Chen X, Fuller M. Polycomb group genes Psc and Su(z)2 maintain somatic stem cell identity and activity in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52892 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that tumorigenesis in the CySC lineage interferes non-cell autonomously with maintenance of GSCs most likely by displacing them from their niche. ..
- Green D, Extavour C. Convergent evolution of a reproductive trait through distinct developmental mechanisms in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2012;372:120-30 pubmed publisher..Thus, evolution can produce similar ovariole numbers through distinct developmental mechanisms, likely controlled by different genetic mechanisms. ..
- Reich J, Papoulas O. Caprin controls follicle stem cell fate in the Drosophila ovary. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35365 pubmed publisher..Our findings support the idea that translational regulators may provide a conserved mechanism for oversight of developmentally critical cell cycles such as those in stem cell populations. ..
- Yogev S, Schejter E, Shilo B. Drosophila EGFR signalling is modulated by differential compartmentalization of Rhomboid intramembrane proteases. EMBO J. 2008;27:1219-30 pubmed publisher..These observations identify changes in intracellular compartment localization of Rho proteins as a basis for signal attenuation, in tissues where EGFR activation must be highly restricted in space and time. ..
- Panchal T, Chen X, Alchits E, Oh Y, Poon J, Kouptsova J, et al. Specification and spatial arrangement of cells in the germline stem cell niche of the Drosophila ovary depend on the Maf transcription factor Traffic jam. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006790 pubmed publisher..We find that the large Maf transcription factor Traffic jam (Tj) is essential for determining niche cell fates and architecture, enabling each niche in the ovary to ..
- Arnold C, Gerlach D, Stelzer C, Boryń Ł, Rath M, Stark A. Genome-wide quantitative enhancer activity maps identified by STARR-seq. Science. 2013;339:1074-7 pubmed publisher..STARR-seq can be used to identify and quantify enhancer activity in other eukaryotes, including humans. ..
- Gunawan F, Arandjelovic M, Godt D. The Maf factor Traffic jam both enables and inhibits collective cell migration in Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2013;140:2808-17 pubmed publisher..Here, we identify the large Maf transcription factor Traffic jam (Tj) as an important regulator of BCC migration...
- Chen H, Chen X, Zheng Y. The nuclear lamina regulates germline stem cell niche organization via modulation of EGFR signaling. Cell Stem Cell. 2013;13:73-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have uncovered a role for the nuclear lamina in the integration of EGF signaling to regulate stem cell niche function. ..
- Kotov A, Olenkina O, Kibanov M, Olenina L. RNA helicase Belle (DDX3) is essential for male germline stem cell maintenance and division in Drosophila. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1863:1093-105 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that a role of Belle in GSC maintenance and regulation of early germ cell divisions is associated with the expression control of mitotic cyclins. ..
- Smendziuk C, Messenberg A, Vogl A, Tanentzapf G. Bi-directional gap junction-mediated soma-germline communication is essential for spermatogenesis. Development. 2015;142:2598-609 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we show that stem cell maintenance and differentiation in the testis are directed by gap junction-derived cues. ..
- Schulz C, Wood C, Jones D, Tazuke S, Fuller M. Signaling from germ cells mediated by the rhomboid homolog stet organizes encapsulation by somatic support cells. Development. 2002;129:4523-34 pubmed..The micro-environment provided by the surrounding somatic cells may, in turn, regulate differentiation of the germ cells they enclose. ..
- Jukam D, Xie B, Rister J, TERRELL D, Charlton Perkins M, Pistillo D, et al. Opposite feedbacks in the Hippo pathway for growth control and neural fate. Science. 2013;342:1238016 pubmed publisher..behavior relies on a tissue-restricted transcription factor network-including a conserved Otx/Orthodenticle-Nrl/Traffic Jam feedforward module-that allows Warts-Yki-Melted to operate as a bistable switch...
- Baxley R, Soshnev A, Koryakov D, Zhimulev I, Geyer P. The role of the Suppressor of Hairy-wing insulator protein in Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;356:398-410 pubmed publisher..2 and CP190, these proteins are not essential for oogenesis. These studies represent the first molecular investigations of Su(Hw) function in the germline, which uncover distinct requirements for Su(Hw) insulator and ovary functions. ..
- Preall J, Czech B, Guzzardo P, Muerdter F, Hannon G. shutdown is a component of the Drosophila piRNA biogenesis machinery. RNA. 2012;18:1446-57 pubmed publisher..Shu contains domains implicated in peptidyl-prolyl cis-trans isomerase activity and in the binding of HSP90-family chaperones, though the relevance of these domains to piRNA biogenesis is unknown. ..
- Olivieri D, Senti K, Subramanian S, Sachidanandam R, Brennecke J. The cochaperone shutdown defines a group of biogenesis factors essential for all piRNA populations in Drosophila. Mol Cell. 2012;47:954-69 pubmed publisher..Together with data on how PIWI proteins are wired into primary and secondary processing, we propose a unified model for piRNA biogenesis. ..
- Hayashi R, Wainwright S, Liddell S, Pinchin S, Horswell S, Ish Horowicz D. A genetic screen based on in vivo RNA imaging reveals centrosome-independent mechanisms for localizing gurken transcripts in Drosophila. G3 (Bethesda). 2014;4:749-60 pubmed publisher..We also show that initiation of the dorsoanterior localization of grk mRNA precedes centrosome localization, suggesting that microtubule self-organization contributes to breaking axial symmetry to generate a unique dorsoventral axis. ..
- Xu J, Lan L, Bogard N, Mattione C, Cohen R. Rab11 is required for epithelial cell viability, terminal differentiation, and suppression of tumor-like growth in the Drosophila egg chamber. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20180 pubmed publisher..Our studies also support the recently emerging view that distinct mechanisms regulate junction stability and plasticity in different tissues. ..
- Post C, Clark J, Sytnikova Y, Chirn G, Lau N. The capacity of target silencing by Drosophila PIWI and piRNAs. RNA. 2014;20:1977-86 pubmed publisher..This reporter platform will facilitate future dissections of the PIWI-targeting mechanism. ..
- Tanentzapf G, Devenport D, Godt D, Brown N. Integrin-dependent anchoring of a stem-cell niche. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:1413-8 pubmed..On the basis of our data, we propose that integrins are required for the attachment of the hub cells to the ECM, which is essential for maintaining the stem-cell niche. ..
- Sato K, Iwasaki Y, Shibuya A, Carninci P, Tsuchizawa Y, Ishizu H, et al. Krimper Enforces an Antisense Bias on piRNA Pools by Binding AGO3 in the Drosophila Germline. Mol Cell. 2015;59:553-63 pubmed publisher..Upon krimp-RNAi in OSCs, AGO3 loads with piRNAs, further showing the capacity of AGO3 for primary piRNA loading. We propose that Krimp enforces an antisense bias on piRNA pools by binding AGO3 and blocking its access to primary piRNAs. ..
- Shlyueva D, Stelzer C, Gerlach D, Yáñez Cuna J, Rath M, Boryń Ł, et al. Hormone-responsive enhancer-activity maps reveal predictive motifs, indirect repression, and targeting of closed chromatin. Mol Cell. 2014;54:180-192 pubmed publisher..Our strategy is applicable to study signal-dependent enhancers for different pathways and across organisms. ..
- Ishizu H, Iwasaki Y, Hirakata S, Ozaki H, Iwasaki W, Siomi H, et al. Somatic Primary piRNA Biogenesis Driven by cis-Acting RNA Elements and trans-Acting Yb. Cell Rep. 2015;12:429-40 pubmed publisher..ovarian somatic cells arise from piRNA cluster transcripts and the 3' UTRs of a subset of mRNAs, including Traffic jam (Tj) mRNA. However, it is unclear how these RNAs are determined as primary piRNA sources...
- Kawashima T, Nakamura A, Yasuda K, Kageyama Y. Dmaf, a novel member of Maf transcription factor family is expressed in somatic gonadal cells during embryonic development and gametogenesis in Drosophila. Gene Expr Patterns. 2003;3:663-7 pubmed..In this study, we show that the maf family is evolutionarily conserved and that the Drosophila maf (Dmaf) gene is expressed in somatic gonadal cells...
- Digilio F, Pannuti A, Lucchesi J, Furia M, Polito L. Tosca: a Drosophila gene encoding a nuclease specifically expressed in the female germline. Dev Biol. 1996;178:90-100 pubmed..The definite oocyte localization of tos transcript during meiosis and its ubiquitous distribution in early embryos suggest that tos may play a role in mismatch repair during genetic recombination and early cleavage divisions. ..
- Basquin D, Spierer A, Begeot F, Koryakov D, Todeschini A, Ronsseray S, et al. The Drosophila Su(var)3-7 gene is required for oogenesis and female fertility, genetically interacts with piwi and aubergine, but impacts only weakly transposon silencing. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e96802 pubmed publisher..These results lead us to propose that the interaction between Su(var)3-7 and piwi or aubergine controls important developmental processes independently of transposon silencing. ..
- Reilly E, Changela N, Naryshkina T, Deshpande G, Steward R. Discs large 5, an Essential Gene in Drosophila, Regulates Egg Chamber Organization. G3 (Bethesda). 2015;5:943-52 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, loss of Dlg5 in follicle cells results in abnormal distribution of a critical component of cell adhesion, E-cadherin, shown to be essential for proper organization of egg chambers. ..
- Levine S, Sunday S, Dörig R, Suter B, Lasko P. Genetic maps of the proximal half of chromosome arm 2L of Drosophila melanogaster. Genome. 2007;50:137-41 pubmed..trans-heterozygous combinations of deficiencies revealed 5 additional functions, essential for viability or fertility. ..
- Hens K, Feuz J, Isakova A, Iagovitina A, Massouras A, Bryois J, et al. Automated protein-DNA interaction screening of Drosophila regulatory elements. Nat Methods. 2011;8:1065-70 pubmed publisher..Finally, we biologically validated several interactions and identified two new regulators of sine oculis gene expression and hence eye development. ..