Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tipE
Description: temperature-induced paralytic E
Alias: CG1232, Dmel\CG1232, TipE, tip-E, temperature-induced paralytic E, CG1232-PA, CG1232-PB, temperature-induced paralysis locus E, temperature-induced-paralytic-E, tipE-PA, tipE-PB
Species: fruit fly
- Jackson F, Wilson S, Hall L. The tip-E mutation of Drosophila decreases saxitoxin binding and interacts with other mutations affecting nerve membrane excitability. J Neurogenet. 1986;3:1-17 pubmed..We postulate that either the structure of sodium channels or their microenvironment is altered in tip-E mutants resulting in an increased liability of binding sites in vitro. ..
- Hodges D, Lee D, Preston C, Boswell K, Hall L, O Dowd D. tipE regulates Na+-dependent repetitive firing in Drosophila neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2002;19:402-16 pubmedThe tipE gene, originally identified by a temperature-sensitive paralytic mutation in Drosophila, encodes a transmembrane protein that dramatically influences sodium channel expression in Xenopus oocytes...
- O Dowd D, Aldrich R. Voltage-clamp analysis of sodium channels in wild-type and mutant Drosophila neurons. J Neurosci. 1988;8:3633-43 pubmed..These results indicate that both the tip-E and sei loci are important in regulation of sodium current density in embryonic neurons. ..
- Warmke J, Reenan R, Wang P, Qian S, Arena J, Wang J, et al. Functional expression of Drosophila para sodium channels. Modulation by the membrane protein TipE and toxin pharmacology. J Gen Physiol. 1997;110:119-33 pubmedThe Drosophila para sodium channel alpha subunit was expressed in Xenopus oocytes alone and in combination with tipE, a putative Drosophila sodium channel accessory subunit...
- Derst C, Walther C, Veh R, Wicher D, Heinemann S. Four novel sequences in Drosophila melanogaster homologous to the auxiliary Para sodium channel subunit TipE. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;339:939-48 pubmed publisherb>TipE is an auxiliary subunit of the Drosophila Para sodium channel...
- Shichor I, Zlotkin E, Ilan N, Chikashvili D, Stuhmer W, Gordon D, et al. Domain 2 of Drosophila para voltage-gated sodium channel confers insect properties to a rat brain channel. J Neurosci. 2002;22:4364-71 pubmed..rBIIA, were sensitive to scorpion alpha-toxins and regulated by the auxiliary subunit beta(1) but not by the insect TipE. Notably, like Drosophila Para/TipE, but unlike rBIIA/beta(1), the chimera gained sensitivity to AahIT, indicating ..
- Feng G, Deak P, Kasbekar D, Gil D, Hall L. Cytogenetic and molecular localization of tipE: a gene affecting sodium channels in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1995;139:1679-88 pubmed..One such mutation is temperature-induced paralysis locus E (tipE), which has been shown by electrophysiology and ligand binding studies to reduce sodium channel numbers...
- Feng G, Deak P, Chopra M, Hall L. Cloning and functional analysis of TipE, a novel membrane protein that enhances Drosophila para sodium channel function. Cell. 1995;82:1001-11 pubmed..Here we report that tipE, a gene defined by a temperature-sensitive paralytic mutation in Drosophila, encodes a novel integral membrane ..
- Ganetzky B. Neurogenetic analysis of Drosophila mutations affecting sodium channels: synergistic effects on viability and nerve conduction in double mutants involving tip-E. J Neurogenet. 1986;3:19-31 pubmed..The results of these studies suggest that tip-E shares related function with para and nap. It is proposed that tip-E, like para and nap exerts an effect at some level on the structure, function, or stability of sodium channels. ..
- Soderlund D, Knipple D. The molecular biology of knockdown resistance to pyrethroid insecticides. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2003;33:563-77 pubmed..These results also provide new insight into the mechanisms by which pyrethroids modify the function of voltage-sensitive sodium channels. ..
- Peixoto A, Hall J. Analysis of temperature-sensitive mutants reveals new genes involved in the courtship song of Drosophila. Genetics. 1998;148:827-38 pubmed..The implications of these findings from the perspective of interspecific lovesong variations in Drosophila are discussed. ..
- Morgan A. Classic clues to NSF function. Nature. 1996;382:680 pubmed
- Zhu S, Gao B, Deng M, Yuan Y, Luo L, Peigneur S, et al. Drosotoxin, a selective inhibitor of tetrodotoxin-resistant sodium channels. Biochem Pharmacol. 2010;80:1296-302 pubmed publisher..showed no activity on K(+), Ca(2+) and TTX-sensitive (TTX-S) Na(+) channels in rat DRG neurons and Drosophila para/tipE channels at micromolar concentrations...
- Tan J, Liu Z, Nomura Y, Goldin A, Dong K. Alternative splicing of an insect sodium channel gene generates pharmacologically distinct sodium channels. J Neurosci. 2002;22:5300-9 pubmed..Exon swapping partially reversed the channel sensitivity to deltamethrin. Our results therefore provide the first evidence that alternative splicing of a sodium channel gene produces pharmacologically distinct channels. ..
- Kulkarni S, Newby L, Jackson F. Drosophila GABAergic systems. II. Mutational analysis of chromosomal segment 64AB, a region containing the glutamic acid decarboxylase gene. Mol Gen Genet. 1994;243:555-64 pubmed..Both of these rearrangements are associated with embryonic lethality and decreased GAD enzymatic activity. ..
- Greenspan R. The varieties of selectional experience in behavioral genetics. J Neurogenet. 2003;17:241-70 pubmed
- Gleason J. Mutations and natural genetic variation in the courtship song of Drosophila. Behav Genet. 2005;35:265-77 pubmed..With many new tools in genetic analysis and the multiple Drosophila genome projects currently underway, the ability to relate mutational and quantitative analyses will improve. ..
- Repnikova E, Koles K, Nakamura M, Pitts J, Li H, Ambavane A, et al. Sialyltransferase regulates nervous system function in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2010;30:6466-76 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data shed light on one of the most ancient functions of sialic acids in metazoan organisms and suggest a possibility that this function is evolutionarily conserved between flies and mammals. ..
- Burton M, Mellor I, Duce I, Davies T, Field L, Williamson M. Differential resistance of insect sodium channels with kdr mutations to deltamethrin, permethrin and DDT. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2011;41:723-32 pubmed publisher..We conclude that L1014H and L1014S may have arisen through heavy exposure to specific pyrethroids and DDT respectively. ..
- Lagisz M, Wen S, Routtu J, Klappert K, Mazzi D, Morales Hojas R, et al. Two distinct genomic regions, harbouring the period and fruitless genes, affect male courtship song in Drosophila montana. Heredity (Edinb). 2012;108:602-8 pubmed publisher..In previous studies, the pulse train traits have been found to vary substantially between Drosophila species, and so are potential species recognition signals, while the pulse traits may be more important in intra-specific mate choice. ..
- Wu C, Ganetzky B. Neurogenetic studies of ion channels in Drosophila. Ion Channels. 1992;3:261-314 pubmed
- He H, Liu Z, Dong B, Zhang J, Shu X, Zhou J, et al. Localization of receptor site on insect sodium channel for depressant ?-toxin BmK IT2. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e14510 pubmed publisher..The insensitivity of Na(v)1.2, Na(v)1.3 and Na(v)1.6 to BmK IT2 suggests other isoforms or mechanism might be involved in the suppressive activity of BmK IT2 in rat pathological models. ..
- Elkins T, Ganetzky B. Conduction in the giant nerve fiber pathway in temperature-sensitive paralytic mutants of Drosophila. J Neurogenet. 1990;6:207-19 pubmed..In the mutants tipE, napts and parats, conduction in certain neurons presynaptic to the CGF failed at about the same temperature at ..
- Carrillo R, Olsen D, Yoon K, Keshishian H. Presynaptic activity and CaMKII modulate retrograde semaphorin signaling and synaptic refinement. Neuron. 2010;68:32-44 pubmed publisher..1 calcium channel (cac), or the voltage-gated Na(v)1 sodium channel (mle(nap-ts);tipE) each result in ectopic neuromuscular contacts. Sema-2a interacts genetically with both of the channel mutations...
- Wang L, Nomura Y, Du Y, Dong K. Differential effects of TipE and a TipE-homologous protein on modulation of gating properties of sodium channels from Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67551 pubmed publisher..However, there are no orthologs of ? subunits in insects. Instead, an unrelated protein, TipE in Drosophila melanogaster and its orthologs in other insects, is thought to be a sodium channel auxiliary subunit...
- Cohen L, Moran Y, Sharon A, Segal D, Gordon D, Gurevitz M. Drosomycin, an innate immunity peptide of Drosophila melanogaster, interacts with the fly voltage-gated sodium channel. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:23558-63 pubmed publisher..As for drosomycin, we discuss the intriguing possibility that it has additional functions in the fly, as implied by its tight interaction with DmNa(v)1. ..
- Usherwood P, Vais H, Khambay B, Davies T, Williamson M. Sensitivity of the Drosophila para sodium channel to DDT is not lowered by the super-kdr mutation M918T on the IIS4-S5 linker that profoundly reduces sensitivity to permethrin and deltamethrin. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:6317-25 pubmed..We conclude that DDT binds either to or in the region of L1014 on IIS6 but only weakly to M918 on the IIS4-S5 linker, which is part of a high-affinity binding site for permethrin and deltamethrin. ..
- Zlotkin E, Devonshire A, Warmke J. The pharmacological flexibility of the insect voltage gated sodium channel: toxicity of AaIT to knockdown resistant (kdr) flies. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 1999;29:849-53 pubmed..The above data are interpreted in terms of the pharmacological diversity and flexibility ("allosteric coupling") of voltage gated sodium channels and their implications for the management of pesticide resistance are discussed. ..
- Usherwood P, Davies T, Mellor I, O Reilly A, Peng F, Vais H, et al. Mutations in DIIS5 and the DIIS4-S5 linker of Drosophila melanogaster sodium channel define binding domains for pyrethroids and DDT. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:5485-92 pubmed..DDT potency was unaffected by M918T, but abolished by T929I and reduced by L925I, L932F and I936V, suggesting that DIIS5 contains at least part of the DDT binding domain. The data support a computer model of pyrethroid and DDT binding. ..
- Li J, Waterhouse R, Zdobnov E. A remarkably stable TipE gene cluster: evolution of insect Para sodium channel auxiliary subunits. BMC Evol Biol. 2011;11:337 pubmed publisherFirst identified in fruit flies with temperature-sensitive paralysis phenotypes, the Drosophila melanogaster TipE locus encodes four voltage-gated sodium (NaV) channel auxiliary subunits...
- Littleton J, Chapman E, Kreber R, Garment M, Carlson S, Ganetzky B. Temperature-sensitive paralytic mutations demonstrate that synaptic exocytosis requires SNARE complex assembly and disassembly. Neuron. 1998;21:401-13 pubmed..These results provide in vivo evidence that cycles of assembly and disassembly of SNARE complexes drive membrane trafficking at synapses. ..
- Jarecki J, Keshishian H. Role of neural activity during synaptogenesis in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 1995;15:8177-90 pubmed..Our experiments suggest that neural activity may function during development by preventing inappropriate connections and thereby maintaining the precise connectivity achieved during nerve outgrowth and target selection. ..
- Doll C, Broadie K. Impaired activity-dependent neural circuit assembly and refinement in autism spectrum disorder genetic models. Front Cell Neurosci. 2014;8:30 pubmed publisher..The field is now poised to exploit this new Drosophila transgenic toolbox for the systematic dissection of A-D mechanisms in normal versus ASD brain development, particularly utilizing the well-established Drosophila FXS disease model. ..