Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tgo
Alias: ARNT, Arnt, CG11987, DARNT, Dmel\CG11987, HIF-1, HIF-1beta, HIF1b, Hif1, TGO, TGO_CYC, Tango, Tgo, arnt, bHLHe4, dARNT, dHIF-1beta, dTgo, darnt, jay, prd7, tgo/Arnt, tango, CG11987-PA, CG11987-PB, PRD gene 7, jaywalker, paired-like 7, tgo-PA, tgo-PB
Species: fruit fly
- Reiling J, Hafen E. The hypoxia-induced paralogs Scylla and Charybdis inhibit growth by down-regulating S6K activity upstream of TSC in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2879-92 pubmed
- Lavista Llanos S, Centanin L, Irisarri M, Russo D, Gleadle J, Bocca S, et al. Control of the hypoxic response in Drosophila melanogaster by the basic helix-loop-helix PAS protein similar. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6842-53 pubmed..We show that the bHLH-PAS proteins Similar (Sima) and Tango (Tgo) function as HIF-alpha and HIF-beta homologues, respectively, and demonstrate a conserved mode of regulation ..
- Ward M, Mosher J, Crews S. Regulation of bHLH-PAS protein subcellular localization during Drosophila embryogenesis. Development. 1998;125:1599-608 pubmedThe Drosophila Single-minded and Tango basic-helix-loop-helix-PAS protein heterodimer controls transcription and embryonic development of the CNS midline cells, while the Trachealess and Tango heterodimer controls tracheal cell and ..
- Kim J, Jang W, Lee H, Park E, Kim C. Neurodegeneration of Drosophila drop-dead mutants is associated with hypoxia in the brain. Genes Brain Behav. 2012;11:177-84 pubmed publisher..Feeding of anti-reactive oxygen species agents partially rescue the drd from sudden death. We propose that drd flies can provide a non-invasive animal model for hypoxia-induced cell death. ..
- van Uden P, Kenneth N, Webster R, MÃ¼ller H, Mudie S, Rocha S. Evolutionary conserved regulation of HIF-1Î² by NF-ÎºB. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001285 pubmed publisher..Significantly, NF-ÎºB regulates HIF-1Î² (tango) and HIF-Î± (sima) levels and activity (Hph/fatiga, ImpL3/ldha) in Drosophila, both in normoxia and hypoxia, ..
- Hedengren M, Asling B, Dushay M, Ando I, Ekengren S, Wihlborg M, et al. Relish, a central factor in the control of humoral but not cellular immunity in Drosophila. Mol Cell. 1999;4:827-37 pubmed..Our results illustrate the importance of the humoral response in Drosophila immunity and demonstrate that Relish plays a key role in this response. ..
- Tajiri R, Tsuji T, Ueda R, Saigo K, Kojima T. Fate determination of Drosophila leg distal regions by trachealess and tango through repression and stimulation, respectively, of Bar homeobox gene expression in the future pretarsus and tarsus. Dev Biol. 2007;303:461-73 pubmed..Here, we demonstrate that trachealess and tango, both encoding bHLH-PAS proteins that are required for the formation of the embryonic tracheal system, are ..
- Hirayama J, Sassone Corsi P. Structural and functional features of transcription factors controlling the circadian clock. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2005;15:548-56 pubmed..Various transcription factors constitute the molecular clock, and the signal transduction cascades governing their function appear to be crucial for the fine-tuning of the circadian cycle. ..
- Jagadish S, Barnea G, Clandinin T, Axel R. Identifying functional connections of the inner photoreceptors in Drosophila using Tango-Trace. Neuron. 2014;83:630-44 pubmed publisher..We developed a genetic strategy, Tango-Trace, that has permitted the identification of the connections of the four chromatic photoreceptors...
- Duronio R. A breath of fresh air for cyclin D/Cdk4: triggering growth via Hph. Dev Cell. 2004;6:163-4 pubmed..In this issue of Developmental Cell, Frei and Edgar reveal that Cyclin D/Cdk4-stimulated growth requires Hph, a prolyl hydroxylase that is a key component of a cell's ability to respond to hypoxia. ..
- Schmidt I, Franzdóttir S, Edenfeld G, Rodrigues F, Zierau A, Klämbt C. Transcriptional regulation of peripheral glial cell differentiation in the embryonic nervous system of Drosophila. Glia. 2011;59:1264-72 pubmed publisher..To uncover additional regulators, we have conducted a genetic screen and report the identification of two additional transcriptional regulators involved in the control of peripheral glial migration: nejire and tango.
- Gorr T, Tomita T, Wappner P, Bunn H. Regulation of Drosophila hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF) activity in SL2 cells: identification of a hypoxia-induced variant isoform of the HIFalpha homolog gene similar. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:36048-58 pubmed..Overexpressed svSima failed to transactivate reporter genes. However, it attenuated HIF (Sima.Tango)-stimulated reporter expression in a dose-dependent manner...
- Szuperák M, Zvara A, Erdelyi M. Identification of germ plasm-enriched mRNAs in Drosophila melanogaster by the cDNA microarray technique. Gene Expr Patterns. 2005;5:717-23 pubmed..We conclude that this combination of microarray and in situ hybridization techniques is a simple but powerful experimental design for the genome-wide identification of genes coding for germ plasm localized transcripts. ..
- Ohshiro T, Saigo K. Transcriptional regulation of breathless FGF receptor gene by binding of TRACHEALESS/dARNT heterodimers to three central midline elements in Drosophila developing trachea. Development. 1997;124:3975-86 pubmed..Here, we identified the minimum enhancer region of breathless, cloned the Drosophila ARNT gene (dARNT), and showed biochemical and genetic evidence that breathless expression in developing trachea is regulated by ..
- Ooe N, Saito K, Oeda K, Nakatuka I, Kaneko H. Characterization of Drosophila and Caenorhabditis elegans NXF-like-factors, putative homologs of mammalian NXF. Gene. 2007;400:122-30 pubmedThe basic helix-loop-helix/Per-Arnt-Sim (bHLH-PAS) homology protein family is an important class of transcriptional regulators that are involved in a wide variety of biological processes...
- Umetsu D, Murakami S, Sato M, Tabata T. The highly ordered assembly of retinal axons and their synaptic partners is regulated by Hedgehog/Single-minded in the Drosophila visual system. Development. 2006;133:791-800 pubmed..As a result, lamina neurons are set aside from R axons. The data reveal a novel mechanism for regulation of the interaction between axons and neuronal cell bodies that establishes precise neuronal networks. ..
- Hong J, Park K, Levine M. Temporal regulation of single-minded target genes in the ventral midline of the Drosophila central nervous system. Dev Biol. 2013;380:335-43 pubmed publisher..differential expression of single-minded (sim) target genes can be attributed, in part, to the number of Sim and Tango (Tgo) heterodimer binding sites within their enhancer regions...
- Mukherjee T, Kim W, Mandal L, Banerjee U. Interaction between Notch and Hif-alpha in development and survival of Drosophila blood cells. Science. 2011;332:1210-3 pubmed publisher..Studies in vertebrate myeloid cells have shown a similar up-regulation of Hif-? protein in well-oxygenated environments. This study provides a mechanistic paradigm for Hif-?/Notch interaction that may be conserved in mammals. ..
- Affolter M, Bellusci S, Itoh N, Shilo B, Thiery J, Werb Z. Tube or not tube: remodeling epithelial tissues by branching morphogenesis. Dev Cell. 2003;4:11-8 pubmed
- Zelzer E, Wappner P, Shilo B. The PAS domain confers target gene specificity of Drosophila bHLH/PAS proteins. Genes Dev. 1997;11:2079-89 pubmed..A single Drosophila gene encoding a bHLH/PAS protein homologous to the vertebrate ARNT protein was isolated and may serve as a partner for both Trh and Sim...
- Pielage J, Steffes G, Lau D, Parente B, Crews S, Strauss R, et al. Novel behavioral and developmental defects associated with Drosophila single-minded. Dev Biol. 2002;249:283-99 pubmed..Additional Sim localization in the medullary and laminar neurons of the optic lobes may correlate with the presence of ectopic axon bundles observed in the optic lobes of sim mutant flies...
- Ikeshima Kataoka H, Skeath J, Nabeshima Y, Doe C, Matsuzaki F. Miranda directs Prospero to a daughter cell during Drosophila asymmetric divisions. Nature. 1997;390:625-9 pubmed..miranda thus creates intrinsic differences between sibling cells by mediating the asymmetric segregation of a transcription factor into only one daughter cell during neural stem-cell division. ..
- Sonnenfeld M, Ward M, Nystrom G, Mosher J, Stahl S, Crews S. The Drosophila tango gene encodes a bHLH-PAS protein that is orthologous to mammalian Arnt and controls CNS midline and tracheal development. Development. 1997;124:4571-82 pubmed..We show that Single-minded and Trachealess activate transcription by forming dimers with the Drosophila Tango protein that is an orthologue of the mammalian Arnt protein...
- Ashok M, Turner C, Wilson T. Insect juvenile hormone resistance gene homology with the bHLH-PAS family of transcriptional regulators. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:2761-6 pubmed..Because JHAs include a diverse array of chemicals with JH activity, a mechanism whereby they can exert effects in insects through a common pathway is suggested. ..
- Metzger R, Krasnow M. Genetic control of branching morphogenesis. Science. 1999;284:1635-9 pubmed..The reiterative use of a signaling pathway by both insects and mammals suggests a general scheme for patterning branching morphogenesis. ..
- Choi Y, Kwon E, Park J, Kang H, Kim Y, Yoo M. Transcriptional regulation of the Drosophila caudal homeobox gene by bHLH-PAS proteins. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1769:41-8 pubmed..We also determined that the caudal promoter activity can be regulated by Trachealess (Trh)/Tango (Tgo) bHLH-PAS proteins, via the CME sites...
- Downward J, Leevers S. Trachealess--a new transcription factor target for PKB/Akt. Dev Cell. 2001;1:726-8 pubmed..Applying a combined genetic and biochemical approach has led to the identification of a new protein kinase B/Akt target, the transcription factor Trachealess. ..
- Kudo K, Takeuchi T, Murakami Y, Ebina M, Kikuchi H. Characterization of the region of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor required for ligand dependency of transactivation using chimeric receptor between Drosophila and Mus musculus. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1789:477-86 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Arg346 in the middle region of the mouse LBD, was identified as amino acids that were critical for AhR activation by site-directed mutagenesis. ..
- Crews S, Fan C. Remembrance of things PAS: regulation of development by bHLH-PAS proteins. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1999;9:580-7 pubmed..Structural analyses of the PAS domain provide insight into how this interaction domain can act as ligand-binding environmental sensor and signal transducer. ..
- Affolter M, Shilo B. Genetic control of branching morphogenesis during Drosophila tracheal development. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2000;12:731-5 pubmed..More than 30 genes have been identified and ordered into sequential steps controlling branching morphogenesis. These studies have revealed a number of important principles that might be conserved in other systems. ..
- Crews S, Brenman J. Spineless provides a little backbone for dendritic morphogenesis. Genes Dev. 2006;20:2773-8 pubmed
- CÃ³rdoba S, Estella C. The bHLH-PAS transcription factor dysfusion regulates tarsal joint formation in response to Notch activity during drosophila leg development. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004621 pubmed publisher..This novel Dys function depends on its obligated partner Tango to activate the transcription of target genes...
- Hendricks J. Invited review: Sleeping flies don't lie: the use of Drosophila melanogaster to study sleep and circadian rhythms. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2003;94:1660-72; discussion 1673 pubmed..Nonetheless, studies have already established that two transcription factors alter rest and rest homeostasis. The implications of these advances for the future of sleep research are summarized. ..
- Gorr T, Cahn J, Yamagata H, Bunn H. Hypoxia-induced synthesis of hemoglobin in the crustacean Daphnia magna is hypoxia-inducible factor-dependent. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:36038-47 pubmed..In human cells, this -146 complex interferes with HIF occupancy at the adjacent -107 HRE and thus controls the extent of HIF-mediated hypoxic activation of the downstream target. ..
- Mortimer N, Moberg K. The Drosophila F-box protein Archipelago controls levels of the Trachealess transcription factor in the embryonic tracheal system. Dev Biol. 2007;312:560-71 pubmed
- Romero N, Irisarri M, Roth P, Cauerhff A, Samakovlis C, Wappner P. Regulation of the Drosophila hypoxia-inducible factor alpha Sima by CRM1-dependent nuclear export. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:3410-23 pubmed publisher..The identified NESs are conserved and probably functional in the bHLH domains of several bHLH-PAS proteins. We propose that rapid nuclear export of Sima regulates the duration of cellular responses to hypoxia. ..
- Estes P, Mosher J, Crews S. Drosophila single-minded represses gene transcription by activating the expression of repressive factors. Dev Biol. 2001;232:157-75 pubmed..Elimination of Single-minded:Tango binding sites within the ventral nervous system defective gene did not affect midline repression...
- Morozova T, Hackett J, Sedaghat Y, Sonnenfeld M. The Drosophila jing gene is a downstream target in the Trachealess/Tango tracheal pathway. Dev Genes Evol. 2010;220:191-206 pubmed publisherPrimary branching in the Drosophila trachea is regulated by the Trachealess (Trh) and Tango (Tgo) basic helix-loop-helix-PAS (bHLH-PAS) heterodimers, the POU protein Drifter (Dfr)/Ventral Veinless (Vvl), and the Pointed (Pnt) ETS ..
- Bandarra D, Biddlestone J, Mudie S, MÃ¼ller H, Rocha S. HIF-1Î± restricts NF-ÎºB-dependent gene expression to control innate immunity signals. Dis Model Mech. 2015;8:169-81 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that HIF-1Î± is required to restrain the NF-ÎºB response, and thus prevents excessive and damaging pro-inflammatory responses. ..
- Shilo B, Gabay L, Glazer L, Reichman Fried M, Wappner P, Wilk R, et al. Branching morphogenesis in the Drosophila tracheal system. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 1997;62:241-7 pubmed
- Baird N, Turnbull D, Johnson E. Induction of the heat shock pathway during hypoxia requires regulation of heat shock factor by hypoxia-inducible factor-1. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:38675-81 pubmed publisher..This cross-regulation represents a mechanism by which the low oxygen response pathway has assimilated complex new functions by regulating the key transcriptional activator of the heat shock pathway...
- Smulders Srinivasan T, Lin H. Screens for piwi suppressors in Drosophila identify dosage-dependent regulators of germline stem cell division. Genetics. 2003;165:1971-91 pubmed..The other two types are deficiencies that cause lethality and female-specific lethality in a piwi2 mutant background, revealing the zygotic function of piwi in somatic development. ..
- Buchon N, Osman D, David F, Fang H, Boquete J, Deplancke B, et al. Morphological and molecular characterization of adult midgut compartmentalization in Drosophila. Cell Rep. 2013;3:1725-38 pubmed publisher..Our integrative analysis of Drosophila midgut compartmentalization provides insights into the conserved mechanisms underlying intestinal regionalization in metazoans...
- Bacon N, Wappner P, O Rourke J, Bartlett S, Shilo B, Pugh C, et al. Regulation of the Drosophila bHLH-PAS protein Sima by hypoxia: functional evidence for homology with mammalian HIF-1 alpha. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;249:811-6 pubmed..Together these findings indicate the existence of functional homologies between Sima and HIF-1 alpha, and that conservation is such as to enable Sima to interact with the hypoxia signal transduction system in mammalian cells. ..
- Zelzer E, Shilo B. Cell fate choices in Drosophila tracheal morphogenesis. Bioessays. 2000;22:219-26 pubmed..Tracheal cell fate choices are determined by signaling cascades triggered by signals emanating from the tracheal cells, as well as by ligands produced by adjacent tissues. ..
- Sedaghat Y, Miranda W, Sonnenfeld M. The jing Zn-finger transcription factor is a mediator of cellular differentiation in the Drosophila CNS midline and trachea. Development. 2002;129:2591-606 pubmed..Given the similarities between JING and the vertebrate CCAAT-binding protein AEBP2, we propose that jing regulates transcriptional mechanisms in Drosophila embryos and promotes cellular differentiation in ectodermal derivatives. ..
- Sonnenfeld M, Morozova T, Hackett J, Sun X. Drosophila Jing is part of the breathless fibroblast growth factor receptor positive feedback loop. Dev Genes Evol. 2010;220:207-20 pubmed publisher..growth factor receptor, known as Breathless (Btl), whose expression is activated by the Trachealess (Trh) and Tango (Tgo) basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH)-PAS transcription factors...
- Shaw P, Tononi G, Greenspan R, Robinson D. Stress response genes protect against lethal effects of sleep deprivation in Drosophila. Nature. 2002;417:287-91 pubmed..These data represent the first step in identifying the molecular mechanisms that constitute the sleep homeostat. ..
- Harvey K, Mattila J, Sofer A, Bennett F, Ramsey M, Ellisen L, et al. FOXO-regulated transcription restricts overgrowth of Tsc mutant organs. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:691-6 pubmed publisher..Analogous transcriptional changes are observed in mammalian cells, which implies that FOXO attenuates TOR-driven growth in diverse species. ..
- Weiss A, Charbonnier E, Ellertsdottir E, Tsirigos A, Wolf C, Schuh R, et al. A conserved activation element in BMP signaling during Drosophila development. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:69-76 pubmed publisher..The AE allows the identification of hitherto unknown direct Dpp targets and is functionally conserved in vertebrates. ..
- Doronkin S, Djagaeva I, Nagle M, Reiter L, Seagroves T. Dose-dependent modulation of HIF-1alpha/sima controls the rate of cell migration and invasion in Drosophila ovary border cells. Oncogene. 2010;29:1123-34 pubmed publisher..Mosaic clone analysis of sima or tango (HIF-1beta ortholog) mutants revealed that cells lacking Hif-1 transcriptional activity were preferentially ..
- Darlington T, Wager Smith K, Ceriani M, Staknis D, Gekakis N, Steeves T, et al. Closing the circadian loop: CLOCK-induced transcription of its own inhibitors per and tim. Science. 1998;280:1599-603 pubmed..PERIOD and TIMELESS proteins blocked dCLOCK's ability to transactivate their promoters via the E-box. Thus, dCLOCK drives expression of period and timeless, which in turn inhibit dCLOCK's activity and close the circadian loop. ..
- Feyereisen R. Juvenile hormone resistance: ! no PASaran !. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:2725-6 pubmed
- Reig G, Cabrejos M, Concha M. Functions of BarH transcription factors during embryonic development. Dev Biol. 2007;302:367-75 pubmed
- Brown R, McDonnell C, Berenbaum M, Schuler M. Regulation of an insect cytochrome P450 monooxygenase gene (CYP6B1) by aryl hydrocarbon and xanthotoxin response cascades. Gene. 2005;358:39-52 pubmed..Four-plasmid transfections with vectors co-expressing the spineless (Ss) and tango (Tgo) proteins, the Drosophila melanogaster homologues of mammalian AhR and ARNT, have indicated that these ..
- Zelzer E, Shilo B. Interaction between the bHLH-PAS protein Trachealess and the POU-domain protein Drifter, specifies tracheal cell fates. Mech Dev. 2000;91:163-73 pubmed..A direct interaction between Drifter and Trh proteins, mediated by the PAS domain of Trh and the POU domain of Drifter, was demonstrated. ..
- Michaud S, Tanguay R. Expression of the Hsp23 chaperone during Drosophila embryogenesis: association to distinct neural and glial lineages. BMC Dev Biol. 2003;3:9 pubmed
- Frigerio G, Burri M, Bopp D, Baumgartner S, Noll M. Structure of the segmentation gene paired and the Drosophila PRD gene set as part of a gene network. Cell. 1986;47:735-46 pubmed..The observed linking of gene sets through combinations of homologies coding for protein domains is consistent with a general network concept of gene action. ..
- Sansone C, Blumenthal E. Neurodegeneration in drop-dead mutant drosophila melanogaster is associated with the respiratory system but not with Hypoxia. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68032 pubmed publisher..manipulation of drd expression in the tracheae did not affect expression of the hypoxia-induced genes LDH, tango, and similar...
- Van Gelder R, Krasnow M. Partners in time. Circadian rhythms. Curr Biol. 1996;6:244-6 pubmed..Together they control the daily cycle of expression of their own and other loci. ..