Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tacc
Description: transforming acidic coiled-coil protein
Alias: CG9765, D-TACC, D-tacc, DTACC, Dmel\CG9765, TACC, TACCdm, acc, d-tacc, dTACC, dtacc, transforming acidic coiled-coil protein, CG9765-PA, CG9765-PC, CG9765-PD, CG9765-PE, CG9765-PF, CG9765-PG, CG9765-PH, CG9765-PI, CG9765-PJ, CG9765-PK, CG9765-PL, CG9765-PM, CG9765-PN, D. melanogaster transforming acidic coiled coil, drosophila transforming acidic Coiled-Coil protein, drosophila transforming acidic coiled-coil, tacc-PA, tacc-PC, tacc-PD, tacc-PE, tacc-PF, tacc-PG, tacc-PH, tacc-PI, tacc-PJ, tacc-PK, tacc-PL, tacc-PM, tacc-PN, transforming acidic coiled-coil
Species: fruit fly
- Megraw T, Kilaru S, Turner F, Kaufman T. The centrosome is a dynamic structure that ejects PCM flares. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:4707-18 pubmed..Extracentrosomal particles of Cnn move radially from the centrosome and frequently change their direction. D-TACC colocalized with Cnn at these particles. We have named these extrusions 'flares'...
- Raff J. Centrosomes and cancer: lessons from a TACC. Trends Cell Biol. 2002;12:222-5 pubmed..Members of the transforming acidic coiled-coil (TACC) family of proteins have been implicated in cancer and are concentrated at centrosomes, where they regulate ..
- Cullen C, Brittle A, Ito T, Ohkura H. The conserved kinase NHK-1 is essential for mitotic progression and unifying acentrosomal meiotic spindles in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:593-602 pubmed..NHK-1 itself is phosphorylated in mitosis and female meiosis, suggesting that this kinase is part of the regulatory system coordinating progression of mitosis and meiosis. ..
- Brittle A, Ohkura H. Centrosome maturation: Aurora lights the way to the poles. Curr Biol. 2005;15:R880-2 pubmed..Recent studies show that Aurora A kinase promotes microtubule assembly from centrosomes through the phosphorylation of the conserved centrosomal protein TACC.
- Gergely F, Kidd D, Jeffers K, Wakefield J, Raff J. D-TACC: a novel centrosomal protein required for normal spindle function in the early Drosophila embryo. EMBO J. 2000;19:241-52 pubmedWe identify Drosophila TACC (D-TACC) as a novel protein that is concentrated at centrosomes and interacts with microtubules...
- Gergely F, Karlsson C, Still I, Cowell J, Kilmartin J, Raff J. The TACC domain identifies a family of centrosomal proteins that can interact with microtubules. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:14352-7 pubmedWe recently showed that the Drosophila transforming acidic coiled-coil (D-TACC) protein is located in the centrosome, interacts with microtubules, and is required for mitosis in the Drosophila embryo...
- Jang J, Rahman T, McKim K. The kinesinlike protein Subito contributes to central spindle assembly and organization of the meiotic spindle in Drosophila oocytes. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4684-94 pubmed..We propose that Subito is required for establishing and/or maintaining the central spindle in Drosophila oocytes, and this substitutes for the role of centrosomes in organizing the bipolar spindle. ..
- Lee M, Gergely F, Jeffers K, Peak Chew S, Raff J. Msps/XMAP215 interacts with the centrosomal protein D-TACC to regulate microtubule behaviour. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:643-9 pubmed..We show here that Msps (mini-spindles protein) interacts with the centrosomal protein D-TACC, and that this interaction strongly influences microtubule behaviour in Drosophila embryos...
- Bolivar J, Huynh J, Lopez Schier H, Gonzalez C, St Johnston D, González Reyes A. Centrosome migration into the Drosophila oocyte is independent of BicD and egl, and of the organisation of the microtubule cytoskeleton. Development. 2001;128:1889-97 pubmed..Thus, centrosome migration is independent of the organisation of the microtubule cytoskeleton, and seems to depend instead on the polarity of the fusome. ..
- Pearson N, Cullen C, Dzhindzhev N, Ohkura H. A pre-anaphase role for a Cks/Suc1 in acentrosomal spindle formation of Drosophila female meiosis. EMBO Rep. 2005;6:1058-63 pubmed..In addition, we found that the essential pole components, Msps and D-TACC, were often mislocalized to the equator, which may explain part of the spindle defect...
- Giunta K, Jang J, Manheim E, Subramanian G, McKim K. subito encodes a kinesin-like protein required for meiotic spindle pole formation in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2002;160:1489-501 pubmed..sub is also required for the early embryonic divisions but is otherwise dispensable for most mitotic divisions. ..
- Lucas E, Raff J. Maintaining the proper connection between the centrioles and the pericentriolar matrix requires Drosophila centrosomin. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:725-32 pubmed..We conclude that Cnn maintains the proper connection between the centrioles and the PCM; this connection is required for accurate centriole segregation in somatic cells but is not essential for the asymmetric division of neuroblasts...
- Bucciarelli E, Pellacani C, Naim V, Palena A, Gatti M, Somma M. Drosophila Dgt6 interacts with Ndc80, Msps/XMAP215, and gamma-tubulin to promote kinetochore-driven MT formation. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1839-45 pubmed publisher..Consistent with these results, Dgt6 coprecipitates with Msps, D-TACC, gamma-tubulin, Ndc80, and Nuf2...
- Hughes S, Beeler J, Seat A, Slaughter B, Unruh J, Bauerly E, et al. Gamma-tubulin is required for bipolar spindle assembly and for proper kinetochore microtubule attachments during prometaphase I in Drosophila oocytes. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002209 pubmed publisher..Finally, multispectral imaging demonstrates the presences of native ?Tub37C along the length of wild-type meiosis I spindles. ..
- Basto R, Lau J, Vinogradova T, Gardiol A, Woods C, Khodjakov A, et al. Flies without centrioles. Cell. 2006;125:1375-86 pubmed..Thus, centrioles are essential for the formation of centrosomes, cilia, and flagella, but, remarkably, they are not essential for most aspects of Drosophila development. ..
- Brittle A, Ohkura H. Mini spindles, the XMAP215 homologue, suppresses pausing of interphase microtubules in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2005;24:1387-96 pubmed..The effect is independent of known Msps regulator or effector proteins, kinesin-13/KinI homologues or D-TACC. Real-time analysis revealed that the depletion of Msps results in a dramatic increase of microtubule pausing with ..
- Sato K, Nishida K, Shibuya A, Siomi M, Siomi H. Maelstrom coordinates microtubule organization during Drosophila oogenesis through interaction with components of the MTOC. Genes Dev. 2011;25:2361-73 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a model in which Mael serves as a platform that nucleates other MTOC components to form a functional MTOC in early oocyte development, which is independent of Chk2 activation and DNA damage signaling. ..
- Basto R, Gergely F, Draviam V, Ohkura H, Liley K, Raff J. Hsp90 is required to localise cyclin B and Msps/ch-TOG to the mitotic spindle in Drosophila and humans. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:1278-87 pubmed..Thus, we propose that Hsp90 plays a novel role in regulating the localisation of cyclin B and Msps during mitosis. ..
- Theurkauf W. TACCing down the spindle poles. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:E159-61 pubmed
- Galletta B, Fagerstrom C, Schoborg T, McLamarrah T, Ryniawec J, Buster D, et al. A centrosome interactome provides insight into organelle assembly and reveals a non-duplication role for Plk4. Nat Commun. 2016;7:12476 pubmed publisher..We show that Plk4 phosphorylates Cep135 to properly position the essential centriole component Asterless. This interaction landscape affords a critical framework for research of normal and aberrant centrosomes. ..
- Stevenson V, Kramer J, Kuhn J, Theurkauf W. Centrosomes and the Scrambled protein coordinate microtubule-independent actin reorganization. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:68-75 pubmed..Our results indicate that centrosomes may coordinate assembly of cortical actin caps through a microtubule-independent mechanism, and that Scrambled mediates a second microtubule-independent process that drives mitotic furrow assembly. ..
- Lerit D, Gavis E. Transport of germ plasm on astral microtubules directs germ cell development in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2011;21:439-48 pubmed publisher..Transport on astral microtubules may provide a general mechanism for the segregation of cell fate determinants. ..
- Reschen R, Colombié N, Wheatley L, Dobbelaere J, St Johnston D, Ohkura H, et al. Dgp71WD is required for the assembly of the acentrosomal Meiosis I spindle, and is not a general targeting factor for the Î³-TuRC. Biol Open. 2012;1:422-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, Dgp71WD is not simply a general cofactor required for Î³-TuRC and/or Augmin targeting, and it appears to have a crucial role independent of these complexes in the acentrosomal Meiosis I spindle. ..
- Jang J, Rahman T, Kober V, Cesario J, McKim K. Misregulation of the kinesin-like protein Subito induces meiotic spindle formation in the absence of chromosomes and centrosomes. Genetics. 2007;177:267-80 pubmed..Instead of the chromosomes directly capturing microtubules, signals released upon nuclear envelope breakdown may activate proteins like Subito, which in turn bundles together microtubules. ..
- Fischer M, Heeger S, Hacker U, Lehner C. The mitotic arrest in response to hypoxia and of polar bodies during early embryogenesis requires Drosophila Mps1. Curr Biol. 2004;14:2019-24 pubmed..Finally, we show that Mps1 and the mitotic spindle checkpoint are responsible for the developmental cell cycle arrest of the three haploid products of female meiosis that are not used as the female pronucleus. ..
- Scholey J, Rogers G, Sharp D. Mitosis, microtubules, and the matrix. J Cell Biol. 2001;154:261-6 pubmed..The mechanical events of mitosis depend on the action of microtubules and mitotic motors, but whether these spindle components act alone or in concert with a spindle matrix is an important question. ..
- Zhang G, Breuer M, Förster A, Egger Adam D, Wodarz A. Mars, a Drosophila protein related to vertebrate HURP, is required for the attachment of centrosomes to the mitotic spindle during syncytial nuclear divisions. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:535-45 pubmed publisher..We propose that Mars is an important linker between the spindle and the centrosomes that is required for proper spindle organization during the rapid mitotic cycles in early embryogenesis. ..
- Kao L, Megraw T. Centrocortin cooperates with centrosomin to organize Drosophila embryonic cleavage furrows. Curr Biol. 2009;19:937-42 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings show that the C terminus of CNN coordinates cleavage furrow formation through binding to CEN, thereby providing a molecular link between the centrosome and cleavage furrow assembly. ..
- Raff J, Jeffers K, Huang J. The roles of Fzy/Cdc20 and Fzr/Cdh1 in regulating the destruction of cyclin B in space and time. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:1139-49 pubmed..These observations have important implications for the mechanisms of the spindle checkpoint. ..
- Blagden S, Glover D. Polar expeditions--provisioning the centrosome for mitosis. Nat Cell Biol. 2003;5:505-11 pubmed..Centrosomes enlarge dramatically after mitotic entry, when both Aurora A and Polo-like kinases cooperate to recruit additional gamma-tubulin ring complexes and microtubule-associated proteins to assist spindle formation. ..
- Colombié N, Cullen C, Brittle A, Jang J, Earnshaw W, Carmena M, et al. Dual roles of Incenp crucial to the assembly of the acentrosomal metaphase spindle in female meiosis. Development. 2008;135:3239-46 pubmed publisher..We propose that the two functions of Incenp are part of the mechanisms that compensate for the lack of centrosomes during meiotic spindle formation. ..
- Hutterer A, Berdnik D, Wirtz Peitz F, Zigman M, Schleiffer A, Knoblich J. Mitotic activation of the kinase Aurora-A requires its binding partner Bora. Dev Cell. 2006;11:147-57 pubmed..We propose a model in which activation of Cdc2 initiates the release of Bora into the cytoplasm where it can bind and activate Aurora-A. ..
- Wells W. Microtubules concentrate. J Cell Biol. 2001;154:13 pubmed
- Ma L, Jarman A. Dilatory is a Drosophila protein related to AZI1 (CEP131) that is located at the ciliary base and required for cilium formation. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:2622-30 pubmed publisher..These data implicate DILA in regulating intraflagellar transport at the base of sensory cilia. ..
- Pandey R, Heeger S, Lehner C. Rapid effects of acute anoxia on spindle kinetochore interactions activate the mitotic spindle checkpoint. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2807-18 pubmed..Some motor, centrosome and kinetochore proteins (dynein, Kin-8, Cnn, TACC, Cenp-C, Nuf2) are rapidly relocalized after oxygen deprivation...
- Chen K, Koe C, Xing Z, Tian X, Rossi F, Wang C, et al. Arl2- and Msps-dependent microtubule growth governs asymmetric division. J Cell Biol. 2016;212:661-76 pubmed publisher..Moreover, Arl2 regulates dynein function and in turn centrosomal localization of D-TACC and Msps. Arl2 physically associates with tubulin cofactors C, D, and E...
- Giansanti M, Bucciarelli E, Bonaccorsi S, Gatti M. Drosophila SPD-2 is an essential centriole component required for PCM recruitment and astral-microtubule nucleation. Curr Biol. 2008;18:303-9 pubmed publisher..the wild-type activity of Asl but is independent of the function of D-PLP, Cnn, gamma-tubulin, DGrip91, and D-TACC. Conversely, DSpd-2 mutants displayed normal centrosomal accumulations of Asl and D-PLP, strongly reduced amounts ..
- Wang C, Li S, Januschke J, Rossi F, Izumi Y, Garcia Alvarez G, et al. An ana2/ctp/mud complex regulates spindle orientation in Drosophila neuroblasts. Dev Cell. 2011;21:520-33 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal that the centrosomal proteins Ana2 and Ctp regulate Mud function to orient the mitotic spindle during NB asymmetric division. ..
- Tan S, Lyulcheva E, Dean J, Bennett D. Mars promotes dTACC dephosphorylation on mitotic spindles to ensure spindle stability. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:27-33 pubmed publisher..and coimmunoprecipitates from embryo extracts with minispindles and Drosophila transforming acidic coiled-coil (dTACC), two MAPs that function as spindle assembly factors...
- Moon W, Hazelrigg T. The Drosophila microtubule-associated protein mini spindles is required for cytoplasmic microtubules in oogenesis. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1957-61 pubmed..Our findings reveal a new role for msps in cell patterning and raise the possibility that other family members may perform similar functions. ..
- Cesario J, McKim K. RanGTP is required for meiotic spindle organization and the initiation of embryonic development in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:3797-810 pubmed publisher..to be in the tapering of microtubules at the spindle poles, which might be through regulation of proteins such as TACC and the HURP homolog, Mars...
- Loh B, Cullen C, Vogt N, Ohkura H. The conserved kinase SRPK regulates karyosome formation and spindle microtubule assembly in Drosophila oocytes. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4457-62 pubmed publisher..Subsequently, bi-orientation and segregation of meiotic chromosomes are also defective. Therefore, this study demonstrates new roles of this conserved kinase in two independent meiotic steps specific to oocytes. ..
- Gergely F. Centrosomal TACCtics. Bioessays. 2002;24:915-25 pubmed..The transforming acidic coiled-coil-containing (TACC) proteins all appear to play important roles in cell division and cellular organisation in both embryonic and ..
- van Roessel P, Hayward N, Barros C, Brand A. Two-color GFP imaging demonstrates cell-autonomy of GAL4-driven RNA interference in Drosophila. Genesis. 2002;34:170-3 pubmed
- Wang P, Pinson X, Archambault V. PP2A-twins is antagonized by greatwall and collaborates with polo for cell cycle progression and centrosome attachment to nuclei in drosophila embryos. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002227 pubmed publisher..Our study highlights how proper coordination of mitotic entry and exit is required during embryonic cell cycles and defines important roles for Polo and the Gwl-PP2A-Tws pathway in this process. ..
- de Carcer G, do Carmo Avides M, Lallena M, Glover D, Gonzalez C. Requirement of Hsp90 for centrosomal function reflects its regulation of Polo kinase stability. EMBO J. 2001;20:2878-84 pubmed
- Sabino D, Brown N, Basto R. Drosophila Ajuba is not an Aurora-A activator but is required to maintain Aurora-A at the centrosome. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:1156-66 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our studies in Drosophila neuroblasts, we propose that a key function of Ajuba, in these cells, is to maintain active Aur-A at the centrosome during mitosis. ..
- Yuan K, Farrell J, O Farrell P. Different cyclin types collaborate to reverse the S-phase checkpoint and permit prompt mitosis. J Cell Biol. 2012;198:973-80 pubmed publisher..We conclude that different cyclin types have distinct abilities to reverse the checkpoint but that they collaborate to do so rapidly. ..