Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: svp
Description: seven up
Alias: 0005/12, 0042/01, 0106/18, 0114/20, 0351/01, 0598/01, 0861/07, BcDNA:GH08189, CG11502, CG18158, Dmel\CG11502, NR2F3, SVP, SVP-1, SVP1, Svp, ck16, don, l(3)07842, l(3)87Bd, l(3)ck16, l(3)j2E2, l(3)rA028, l(3)rL069, seven up, CG11502-PA, CG11502-PB, CG11502-PC, CG11502-PE, SEVEN-UP, complementation group 7, down-and-out, seven Up, sevenup, svp-PA, svp-PB, svp-PC, svp-PE
Species: fruit fly
- Begemann G, Paricio N, Artero R, Kiss I, Perez Alonso M, Mlodzik M. muscleblind, a gene required for photoreceptor differentiation in Drosophila, encodes novel nuclear Cys3His-type zinc-finger-containing proteins. Development. 1997;124:4321-31 pubmed
- Hoshizaki D, Blackburn T, Price C, Ghosh M, Miles K, Ragucci M, et al. Embryonic fat-cell lineage in Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 1994;120:2489-99 pubmed..We found that the steroid-hormone receptor gene, svp (seven-up), was expressed transiently within the fat-cell lineage from stages 12 to 14...
- Sprecher S, Pichaud F, Desplan C. Adult and larval photoreceptors use different mechanisms to specify the same Rhodopsin fates. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2182-95 pubmed..Therefore, even though the larval PRs and adult R8 PRs express the same rhodopsins (rh5 and rh6), they use very distinct mechanisms for their specification. ..
- Laudet V, Hanni C, Coll J, Catzeflis F, Stehelin D. Evolution of the nuclear receptor gene superfamily. EMBO J. 1992;11:1003-13 pubmed..These data suggest a complex evolutionary history for nuclear receptor genes in which gene duplication events and swapping between domains of different origins took place. ..
- Palanker L, Necakov A, Sampson H, Ni R, Hu C, Thummel C, et al. Dynamic regulation of Drosophila nuclear receptor activity in vivo. Development. 2006;133:3549-62 pubmed
- Hiromi Y, Mlodzik M, West S, Rubin G, Goodman C. Ectopic expression of seven-up causes cell fate changes during ommatidial assembly. Development. 1993;118:1123-35 pubmed..Our results also suggest that seven-up controls decisions not only between photoreceptor subtypes, but also between neuronal and non-neuronal fates. ..
- Babaoglan A, O Connor Giles K, Mistry H, Schickedanz A, Wilson B, Skeath J. Sanpodo: a context-dependent activator and inhibitor of Notch signaling during asymmetric divisions. Development. 2009;136:4089-98 pubmed publisher..These findings answer long-standing questions about the restricted ability of Numb and Sanpodo to inhibit and to promote, respectively, Notch signaling during asymmetric divisions. ..
- Sprecher S, Desplan C. Switch of rhodopsin expression in terminally differentiated Drosophila sensory neurons. Nature. 2008;454:533-7 pubmed publisher..This fate switch of functioning, terminally differentiated neurons provides a novel, unexpected example of hard-wired sensory plasticity. ..
- Chou W, Huber A, Bentrop J, Schulz S, Schwab K, Chadwell L, et al. Patterning of the R7 and R8 photoreceptor cells of Drosophila: evidence for induced and default cell-fate specification. Development. 1999;126:607-16 pubmed
- . A unified nomenclature system for the nuclear receptor superfamily. Cell. 1999;97:161-3 pubmed
- Domingos P, Mlodzik M, Mendes C, Brown S, Steller H, Mollereau B. Spalt transcription factors are required for R3/R4 specification and establishment of planar cell polarity in the Drosophila eye. Development. 2004;131:5695-702 pubmed..Finally, we show that, posterior to row seven, seven-up represses spalt in R3/R4 in order to maintain the R3/R4 identity and to inhibit the transformation of these cells to the R7 cell fate. ..
- Domingos P, Brown S, Barrio R, Ratnakumar K, Frankfort B, Mardon G, et al. Regulation of R7 and R8 differentiation by the spalt genes. Dev Biol. 2004;273:121-33 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that while spalt is required for R7 differentiation during larval stages, spalt and senseless promote terminal R8 differentiation during pupal stages, including the regulation of rhodopsin expression. ..
- Gutierrez E, Wiggins D, Fielding B, Gould A. Specialized hepatocyte-like cells regulate Drosophila lipid metabolism. Nature. 2007;445:275-80 pubmed..These findings provide evidence that some lipid-processing functions of the mammalian liver are performed in insects by oenocytes...
- Fahrbach S, Smagghe G, Velarde R. Insect nuclear receptors. Annu Rev Entomol. 2012;57:83-106 pubmed publisher..An exciting new technology allows EcR to be used in chimeric, ligand-inducible gene-switch systems with applications in pest management and medicine. ..
- Chai P, Liu Z, Chia W, Cai Y. Hedgehog signaling acts with the temporal cascade to promote neuroblast cell cycle exit. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001494 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, hh is likely a target of Castor. Hence, Hh signaling provides a link between the temporal series and the asymmetric division machinery in scheduling the end of neurogenesis. ..
- Han Z, Fujioka M, Su M, Liu M, Jaynes J, Bodmer R. Transcriptional integration of competence modulated by mutual repression generates cell-type specificity within the cardiogenic mesoderm. Dev Biol. 2002;252:225-40 pubmed
- Henrich V, Sliter T, Lubahn D, MacIntyre A, Gilbert L. A steroid/thyroid hormone receptor superfamily member in Drosophila melanogaster that shares extensive sequence similarity with a mammalian homologue. Nucleic Acids Res. 1990;18:4143-8 pubmed..The high degree of similarity in the hormone-binding domain between the 2C protein and the H2RII binding protein outside regions II-IV suggests specific functional roles which are not shared by other members of the superfamily. ..
- Hafen E, Basler K. Specification of cell fate in the developing eye of Drosophila. Dev Suppl. 1991;1:123-30 pubmed
- Xie X, Cho B, Fischer J. Drosophila Epsin's role in Notch ligand cells requires three Epsin protein functions: the lipid binding function of the ENTH domain, a single Ubiquitin interaction motif, and a subset of the C-terminal protein binding modules. Dev Biol. 2012;363:399-412 pubmed publisher..We propose that Epsin's specificity for Notch signaling simply reflects its unique ability to interact with the plasma membrane, Ubiquitin, and proteins that bind Clathrin. ..
- Kauffmann R, Li S, Gallagher P, Zhang J, Carthew R. Ras1 signaling and transcriptional competence in the R7 cell of Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2167-78 pubmed..Our results suggest that specific transcriptional responses are linked to the mode of activation of the Ras1/MAP kinase signal transduction pathway. ..
- Thummel C. From embryogenesis to metamorphosis: the regulation and function of Drosophila nuclear receptor superfamily members. Cell. 1995;83:871-7 pubmed
- Pazman C, Mayes C, Fanto M, Haynes S, Mlodzik M. Rasputin, the Drosophila homologue of the RasGAP SH3 binding protein, functions in ras- and Rho-mediated signaling. Development. 2000;127:1715-25 pubmed..These data suggest that Rin is not a general component of polarity generation, but serves a function specific to Ras and RhoA signaling pathways. ..
- O Connor Giles K, Skeath J. Numb inhibits membrane localization of Sanpodo, a four-pass transmembrane protein, to promote asymmetric divisions in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2003;5:231-43 pubmed..Our findings suggest a model in which Numb inhibits Notch signaling through the regulation of Sanpodo membrane localization. ..
- Clandinin T, Zipursky S. Afferent growth cone interactions control synaptic specificity in the Drosophila visual system. Neuron. 2000;28:427-36 pubmed..The orientation of the projections is controlled both by the spatial arrangement of R cells in the retina and by cues in the target. ..
- Zaffran S, Reim I, Qian L, Lo P, Bodmer R, Frasch M. Cardioblast-intrinsic Tinman activity controls proper diversification and differentiation of myocardial cells in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:4073-83 pubmed
- Sellin J, Drechsler M, Nguyen H, Paululat A. Antagonistic function of Lmd and Zfh1 fine tunes cell fate decisions in the Twi and Tin positive mesoderm of Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol. 2009;326:444-55 pubmed publisher..We show further that Tin repression and pericardial restriction in the dorsal mesoderm facilitated by Lmd is instructed by a late Decapentaplegic (Dpp) signal that is abolished in embryos carrying the disk region mutation dpp(d6). ..
- Bhadra U, Pal Bhadra M, Birchler J. Histone acetylation and gene expression analysis of sex lethal mutants in Drosophila. Genetics. 2000;155:753-63 pubmed..In both cases we find relatively little effect upon X chromosomal gene expression. ..
- Quan X, Yuan L, Tiberi L, Claeys A, De Geest N, Yan J, et al. Post-translational Control of the Temporal Dynamics of Transcription Factor Activity Regulates Neurogenesis. Cell. 2016;164:460-75 pubmed publisher..Strikingly, even a subtle change from Serine to Threonine appears to shift the duration of Atonal activity in vivo, resulting in neuronal fate defects. ..
- Chiang Y, Tan K, Chung H, Lavrynenko O, Shevchenko A, Yew J. Steroid Hormone Signaling Is Essential for Pheromone Production and Oenocyte Survival. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006126 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results identify a novel regulator of pheromone synthesis and reveal that ecdysteroid signaling is essential for the maintenance of cuticular lipids and oenocytes throughout adulthood. ..
- Venkatesh T. Neuronal development in the Drosophila retina. J Neurobiol. 1993;24:740-56 pubmed..Recent genetic and molecular studies have provided important clues regarding the nature of the molecules involved in cellular signalling and neuronal differentiation. ..
- Zelhof A, Yao T, Chen J, Evans R, McKeown M. Seven-up inhibits ultraspiracle-based signaling pathways in vitro and in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:6736-45 pubmedSeven-up (Svp), the Drosophila homolog of the chicken ovalbumin upstream transcription factor (COUP-TF); Ultraspiracle (Usp), the Drosophila homolog of the retinoid X receptor; and the ecdysone receptor are all members of the nuclear/..
- Broadus J, Doe C. Evolution of neuroblast identity: seven-up and prospero expression reveal homologous and divergent neuroblast fates in Drosophila and Schistocerca. Development. 1995;121:3989-96 pubmed
- Finley J, Miller A, Herman T. Polycomb group genes are required to maintain a binary fate choice in the Drosophila eye. Neural Dev. 2015;10:2 pubmed publisher..kinase (RTK) activity (they would otherwise become non-neuronal support cells); (2) fail to express Seven-up (Svp), as a consequence of Notch (N) activation (they would otherwise express Svp and become R1/R6 neurons); and (3) ..
- Fan Y, Lee T, Xu D, Chen Z, Lamblin A, Steller H, et al. Dual roles of Drosophila p53 in cell death and cell differentiation. Cell Death Differ. 2010;17:912-21 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the pathways activated by Dp53 and reveal that Dp53 incorporates functions of multiple p53 family members. ..
- Hayashi T, Xu C, Carthew R. Cell-type-specific transcription of prospero is controlled by combinatorial signaling in the Drosophila eye. Development. 2008;135:2787-96 pubmed publisher..The activity level, therefore, is dictated by the proper combination of highly cooperative selector and pre-pattern factors present in the cell...
- DeFalco T, Camara N, Le Bras S, Van Doren M. Nonautonomous sex determination controls sexually dimorphic development of the Drosophila gonad. Dev Cell. 2008;14:275-86 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that nonautonomous sex determination is important for creating sexual dimorphism in the Drosophila gonad, similar to the manner in which sex-specific gonad formation is controlled in mammals. ..
- Warren R. Defining a neural 'ground state' and photoreceptor cell identifies in the Drosophila eye. Bioessays. 1993;15:827-9 pubmed
- Weber U, Siegel V, Mlodzik M. pipsqueak encodes a novel nuclear protein required downstream of seven-up for the development of photoreceptors R3 and R4. EMBO J. 1995;14:6247-57 pubmed..is expressed at high levels in the R3/R4 precursors during eye development and this expression depends on seven-up (svp) gene function...
- Yun B, Lee K, Farkas R, Hitte C, Rabinow L. The LAMMER protein kinase encoded by the Doa locus of Drosophila is required in both somatic and germline cells and is expressed as both nuclear and cytoplasmic isoforms throughout development. Genetics. 2000;156:749-61 pubmed..Finally, in contrast to results reported in other systems and despite some phenotypic similarities, genetic data demonstrate that the LAMMER kinases do not participate in the ras-MAP kinase signal transduction pathway. ..
- Gates J, Lam G, Ortiz J, Losson R, Thummel C. rigor mortis encodes a novel nuclear receptor interacting protein required for ecdysone signaling during Drosophila larval development. Development. 2004;131:25-36 pubmed..protein interacts with several Drosophila nuclear receptors in GST pull-down experiments, including EcR, USP, DHR3, SVP and betaFTZ-F1...
- Strutt D, Mlodzik M. Ommatidial polarity in the Drosophila eye is determined by the direction of furrow progression and local interactions. Development. 1995;121:4247-56 pubmed
- Lovato T, Nguyen T, Molina M, Cripps R. The Hox gene abdominal-A specifies heart cell fate in the Drosophila dorsal vessel. Development. 2002;129:5019-27 pubmed..Mutation of abd-A resulted in a loss of heart-specific markers. We also demonstrate that abd-A and sevenup co-expression in cardial cells defined the location of ostia, or inflow tracts...
- Monier B, Astier M, Semeriva M, Perrin L. Steroid-dependent modification of Hox function drives myocyte reprogramming in the Drosophila heart. Development. 2005;132:5283-93 pubmed..Our results shed light on the genetic control of one in vivo occurring remodelling process, which involves a steroid-dependent modification of Hox expression and function. ..
- Meinertzhagen I. Wiring the fly's eye. Neuron. 2000;28:310-3 pubmed
- Skeath J. At the nexus between pattern formation and cell-type specification: the generation of individual neuroblast fates in the Drosophila embryonic central nervous system. Bioessays. 1999;21:922-31 pubmed..BioEssays 1999;21:922-931. ..
- Urbach R, Schnabel R, Technau G. The pattern of neuroblast formation, mitotic domains and proneural gene expression during early brain development in Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:3589-606 pubmed
- Urbach R, Volland D, Seibert J, Technau G. Segment-specific requirements for dorsoventral patterning genes during early brain development in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:4315-30 pubmed..We also show that, in the anterior brain (protocerebrum), normal production of early glial cells is independent from msh and vnd, in contrast to the posterior brain (deuto- and tritocerebrum) and to the ventral nerve cord. ..
- Kramer S, West S, Hiromi Y. Cell fate control in the Drosophila retina by the orphan receptor seven-up: its role in the decisions mediated by the ras signaling pathway. Development. 1995;121:1361-72 pubmed..For example, ectopic expression in the non-neuronal cone cells using the sevenless promoter/enhancer (sev-svp) causes the cone cells to take on a neuronal identity...
- Kohwi M, Hiebert L, Doe C. The pipsqueak-domain proteins Distal antenna and Distal antenna-related restrict Hunchback neuroblast expression and early-born neuronal identity. Development. 2011;138:1727-35 pubmed publisher..Dan and Danr function independently of Seven-up (Svp), an orphan nuclear receptor known to repress Hb expression in neuroblasts, because Dan, Danr and Svp do not ..
- Heberlein U, Mlodzik M, Rubin G. Cell-fate determination in the developing Drosophila eye: role of the rough gene. Development. 1991;112:703-12 pubmed..We show that the cells that would normally become R2 and/or R5 express a marker, a lacZ insertion in the seven-up (svp) gene, which is indicative of the R1/3/4/6 cell fate...
- Oro A, McKeown M, Evans R. The Drosophila nuclear receptors: new insight into the actions of nuclear receptors in development. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1992;2:269-74 pubmed..This suggests that genetic analysis in flies could facilitate the generation of biological models that pertain to complex hormonal responses in development and which are relevant to both vertebrate and invertebrate systems. ..
- Brown E, Layne J, Zhu C, Jegga A, Rollmann S. Genome-wide association mapping of natural variation in odour-guided behaviour in Drosophila. Genes Brain Behav. 2013;12:503-15 pubmed publisher..Our results showed that subtle changes influencing nervous system function can result in marked differences in behaviour. ..
- Lo P, Frasch M. Establishing A-P polarity in the embryonic heart tube: a conserved function of Hox genes in Drosophila and vertebrates?. Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2003;13:182-7 pubmed..These results suggest that the Hox genes may also play some role in the positioning of the embryonic heart field and the determination of A-P polarity in the vertebrate embryonic heart tube. ..
- Fischer Vize J, Rubin G, Lehmann R. The fat facets gene is required for Drosophila eye and embryo development. Development. 1992;116:985-1000 pubmed..We have cloned the faf gene, and have shown that it encodes two similar large (approximately 300 x 10(3) M(r)) proteins that are unique with respect to other known proteins. ..
- de Rosny E, de Groot A, Jullian Binard C, Borel F, Suarez C, Le Pape L, et al. DHR51, the Drosophila melanogaster homologue of the human photoreceptor cell-specific nuclear receptor, is a thiolate heme-binding protein. Biochemistry. 2008;47:13252-60 pubmed publisher..A dissociation constant of 0.5 microM for the heme was measured by isothermal titration calorimetry. We show that DHR51 binds NO and CO and discuss the possibility that DHR51 may be either a gas or a heme sensor. ..
- Parkes T, Hilliker A, Phillips J. Genetic and biochemical analysis of glutathione-S-transferase in the oxygen defense system of Drosophila melanogaster. Genome. 1993;36:1007-14 pubmed..Finally, through a biochemical analysis of representative alleles of known lethal complementation gene. The implications of these findings to the role of GSH and GST in D. melanogaster oxygen defense are discussed. ..
- Rubin G. Signal transduction and the fate of the R7 photoreceptor in Drosophila. Trends Genet. 1991;7:372-7 pubmed..Studies of the mechanisms governing the specificity of signal transmission and reception suggest that the sevenless signal directs a bipotential cell towards a neuronal rather than a cone cell fate. ..
- Miller A, Lyons E, Herman T. cis-Inhibition of Notch by endogenous Delta biases the outcome of lateral inhibition. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1378-83 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cis-inhibition generally influences the direction of Dl/N signaling and should therefore be included in standard models of lateral inhibition. ..
- Yamamoto D. Signaling mechanisms in induction of the R7 photoreceptor in the developing Drosophila retina. Bioessays. 1994;16:237-44 pubmed..It is plausible that the R7 precursor is actively prevented from taking on the neuronal fate and this inhibition is removed by activation of Sev. ..
- Cagan R. Cell fate specification in the developing Drosophila retina. Dev Suppl. 1993;:19-28 pubmed..In addition, the role of local cell interactions in directing cell fate is assessed. ..
- Kumar J, Moses K. Transcription factors in eye development: a gorgeous mosaic?. Genes Dev. 1997;11:2023-8 pubmed
- Reim I, Frasch M. The Dorsocross T-box genes are key components of the regulatory network controlling early cardiogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:4911-25 pubmed..The integration of this new information with previous findings has allowed us to draw a more complete pathway of regulatory events during cardiac induction and differentiation in Drosophila. ..
- Hirota Y, Sawamoto K, Okano H. tincar encodes a novel transmembrane protein expressed in the Tinman-expressing cardioblasts of Drosophila. Gene Expr Patterns. 2002;2:323-7 pubmed..In the non-Tin-expressing pairs of cardioblasts, tinc transcription seemed to be repressed by Seven-up. ..
- Garcia Lopez A, Monferrer L, Garcia Alcover I, Vicente Crespo M, Alvarez Abril M, Artero R. Genetic and chemical modifiers of a CUG toxicity model in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1595 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the DM1 phenotype, and suggest novel candidates for DM1 treatments. ..
- Chang T, Younossi Hartenstein A, Hartenstein V. Development of neural lineages derived from the sine oculis positive eye field of Drosophila. Arthropod Struct Dev. 2003;32:303-17 pubmed..We discuss the dynamic pattern of the so-positive lineages as a tool to reconstruct the morphogenesis of the larval brain. ..
- Lo P, Frasch M. A role for the COUP-TF-related gene seven-up in the diversification of cardioblast identities in the dorsal vessel of Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2001;104:49-60 pubmed..We also describe the tinman cis sequences that mediate tinman repression by seven-up and examine whether Seven-up can bind these sequences to directly inhibit tinman. ..
- Gajewski K, Choi C, Kim Y, Schulz R. Genetically distinct cardial cells within the Drosophila heart. Genesis. 2000;28:36-43 pubmed..protein Tinman (Tin), alternating with groups of two cell pairs that express the orphan steroid hormone receptor Seven Up (Svp)...
- Segraves W. Steroid receptors and orphan receptors in Drosophila development. Semin Cell Biol. 1994;5:105-13 pubmed..This has suggested a number of models based on competitive, cooperative and inter-regulatory interactions between these proteins. ..
- Ponzielli R, Astier M, Chartier A, Gallet A, Therond P, Semeriva M. Heart tube patterning in Drosophila requires integration of axial and segmental information provided by the Bithorax Complex genes and hedgehog signaling. Development. 2002;129:4509-21 pubmed..We show that the transcription of seven up (svp), which is expressed in the two most posterior pairs of cardioblasts in each segment, is dependent on ..
- Glazov E, Pheasant M, McGraw E, Bejerano G, Mattick J. Ultraconserved elements in insect genomes: a highly conserved intronic sequence implicated in the control of homothorax mRNA splicing. Genome Res. 2005;15:800-8 pubmed
- Nakajima A, Isshiki T, Kaneko K, Ishihara S. Robustness under functional constraint: the genetic network for temporal expression in Drosophila neurogenesis. PLoS Comput Biol. 2010;6:e1000760 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that the Drosophila network for sequential expression has evolved to generate the robust temporal expression for neuronal specification. ..
- Strutt H, Strutt D. EGF signaling and ommatidial rotation in the Drosophila eye. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1451-7 pubmed..Secondly, reducing EGF signaling can specifically affect ommatidial rotation without showing transformation of the mystery cells or defects in polarity protein localization. ..
- Babcock M, Stowers R, Leither J, Goodman C, Pallanck L. A genetic screen for synaptic transmission mutants mapping to the right arm of chromosome 3 in Drosophila. Genetics. 2003;165:171-83 pubmed..Mapping and complementation testing with candidate mutations revealed new alleles of the neuronal fate determinant svp and the synaptic vesicle trafficking component lap among the collection of mutants recovered in this screen...
- Losada Pérez M, Gabilondo H, Molina I, Turiegano E, Torroja L, Thor S, et al. Klumpfuss controls FMRFamide expression by enabling BMP signaling within the NB5-6 lineage. Development. 2013;140:2181-9 pubmed publisher..Similar to WT1, klu seems to have either self-renewal or differentiation-promoting functions, depending on the developmental context. ..
- Cabrera C. The generation of cell diversity during early neurogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 1992;115:893-901 pubmed
- Enright A, John B, Gaul U, Tuschl T, Sander C, Marks D. MicroRNA targets in Drosophila. Genome Biol. 2003;5:R1 pubmed..The target prediction algorithm is freely available and can be applied to whole genome sequences using identified miRNA sequences. ..
- Holmgren R, Engel J. Developmental potential. Genes Dev. 1992;6:161-5 pubmed
- Alvarez A, Shi W, Wilson B, Skeath J. pannier and pointedP2 act sequentially to regulate Drosophila heart development. Development. 2003;130:3015-26 pubmed