Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sv
Alias: CG11049, Cat, D-Pax2, D-pax-2, D-pax2, DPax-2, DPax2, Dmel\CG11049, Dpax-2, Dpax2, PAX2, Pax2, Pax2/5/8, Pax258, d-Pax2, dPax2, dPax258, en(lz)4G/I, l(4)40, pax2/sparkling, pol, shaven/sparkling, spa, spa-sv, shaven, CG11049-PA, CG11049-PC, CG11049-PD, CG11049-PF, CG11049-PG, CG11049-PH, CG11049-PI, cataract, poliert, sparklin poliert, sparkling, sparkling poliert, sv-PA, sv-PC, sv-PD, sv-PF, sv-PG, sv-PH, sv-PI
Species: fruit fly
- Flores G, Duan H, Yan H, Nagaraj R, Fu W, Zou Y, et al. Combinatorial signaling in the specification of unique cell fates. Cell. 2000;103:75-85 pubmed..transcription factor Lozenge, the nuclear effectors of the EGFR and Notch signaling pathways directly regulate D-Pax2 transcription in cone cells of the Drosophila eye disc...
- Swanson C, Evans N, Barolo S. Structural rules and complex regulatory circuitry constrain expression of a Notch- and EGFR-regulated eye enhancer. Dev Cell. 2010;18:359-70 pubmed publisher..and how important is its internal organization? Here, we examine in detail the structure and function of sparkling, a Notch- and EGFR/MAPK-regulated, cone cell-specific enhancer of the Drosophila Pax2 gene, in vivo...
- Hirth F, Kammermeier L, Frei E, Walldorf U, Noll M, Reichert H. An urbilaterian origin of the tripartite brain: developmental genetic insights from Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:2365-73 pubmed..midbrain/hindbrain boundary region, which are characterized by the specific expression of the Otx, Hox and Pax2/5/8 genes, respectively...
- Ruden D, Cui W, Sollars V, Alterman M. A Drosophila kinesin-like protein, Klp38B, functions during meiosis, mitosis, and segmentation. Dev Biol. 1997;191:284-96 pubmed..Finally, we show that klp38B mutations have defects in abdominal segmentation, suggesting that Klp38B, like Xenopus chromokinesin Xklp1, might be involved in polar granule formation. ..
- Reig G, Cabrejos M, Concha M. Functions of BarH transcription factors during embryonic development. Dev Biol. 2007;302:367-75 pubmed
- Cryderman D, Morris E, Biessmann H, Elgin S, Wallrath L. Silencing at Drosophila telomeres: nuclear organization and chromatin structure play critical roles. EMBO J. 1999;18:3724-35 pubmed..Corresponding changes in the chromatin structure and inducible activity of an associated hsp26 transgene are observed. The data indicate that both nuclear organization and local chromatin structure play a role in this telomeric PEV. ..
- Zhang J, Graham T, Vivekanand P, Cote L, Cetera M, Rebay I. Sterile alpha motif domain-mediated self-association plays an essential role in modulating the activity of the Drosophila ETS family transcriptional repressor Yan. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1158-70 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that the formation of higher-order Yan oligomers contributes to proper repression of target gene expression and RTK signaling output in developing tissues. ..
- Urbach R. A procephalic territory in Drosophila exhibiting similarities and dissimilarities compared to the vertebrate midbrain/hindbrain boundary region. Neural Dev. 2007;2:23 pubmed..by the expression of Otx genes (forebrain/anterior midbrain), Hox genes (posterior hindbrain), and the genes Pax2, Pax5 and Pax8 (intervening region)...
- Adamson A, Wright N, LaJeunesse D. Modeling early Epstein-Barr virus infection in Drosophila melanogaster: the BZLF1 protein. Genetics. 2005;171:1125-35 pubmed..Using this system, we have identified a highly conserved interaction between the Epstein-Barr virus Z protein and shaven, a Drosophila homolog of the human Pax2/5/8 family of genes...
- Barolo S, Walker R, Polyanovsky A, Freschi G, Keil T, Posakony J. A notch-independent activity of suppressor of hairless is required for normal mechanoreceptor physiology. Cell. 2000;103:957-69 pubmed..These results establish a direct link between a broadly deployed cell signaling pathway and an essential physiological function of the nervous system. ..
- Johnson S, Harmon K, Smiley S, Still F, KAVALER J. Discrete regulatory regions control early and late expression of D-Pax2 during external sensory organ development. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:1769-78 pubmed publisherThe transcription factor D-Pax2 is required for the correct differentiation of several cell types in Drosophila sensory systems...
- Kaminker J, Singh R, Lebestky T, Yan H, Banerjee U. Redundant function of Runt Domain binding partners, Big brother and Brother, during Drosophila development. Development. 2001;128:2639-48 pubmed..These studies highlight a mechanism for transcriptional control by a Runt Domain protein and a redundant pair of partners in the specification of cell fate during development. ..
- Reichert H. Insights into brain development and disease from neurogenetic analyses in Drosophila melanogaster. J Biosci. 2014;39:595-603 pubmed..These studies also provide strong support for the notion that conserved molecular genetic programs act in brain development and disease in insects and mammals including humans. ..
- Riddle N, Leung W, Haynes K, Granok H, Wuller J, Elgin S. An investigation of heterochromatin domains on the fourth chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2008;178:1177-91 pubmed publisher..within 10 kb of 1360 are usually packaged as heterochromatin; however, heterochromatin packaging occurs in the sv region in the absence of 1360...
- Lai E. Developmental signaling: shrimp and strawberries help flies make cones. Curr Biol. 2002;12:R722-4 pubmed..A new study has revealed a serial linkage between them, via Ebi and Strawberry Notch, which is important in determining the cone cell fate in the Drosophila eye. ..
- Abrahamson S, Herskowitz I, Muller H. Identification of Half-Translocations Produced by X-Rays in Detaching Attached-X Chromosomes of Drosophila Melanogaster. Genetics. 1956;41:410-9 pubmed
- Punzo C, Seimiya M, Flister S, Gehring W, Plaza S. Differential interactions of eyeless and twin of eyeless with the sine oculis enhancer. Development. 2002;129:625-34 pubmed..Altogether, these results suggest a differential requirement for EY and TOY to specify the development of the two types of adult visual systems, namely the compound eye and the ocellus. ..
- Miller S, Avidor Reiss T, Polyanovsky A, Posakony J. Complex interplay of three transcription factors in controlling the tormogen differentiation program of Drosophila mechanoreceptors. Dev Biol. 2009;329:386-99 pubmed publisher..activity of Su(H) reveals an important role for these factors in inhibiting transcription of the Pax family gene shaven in the socket cell, which serves to prevent inappropriate expression of the shaft differentiation program...
- Brunner E, Brunner D, Fu W, Hafen E, Basler K. The dominant mutation Glazed is a gain-of-function allele of wingless that, similar to loss of APC, interferes with normal eye development. Dev Biol. 1999;206:178-88 pubmed..both cases Wg exerts its effect, at least in part, by negatively regulating the expression of the Pax2 homolog sparkling (spa)...
- Krivshenko J. New Evidence for the Homology of the Short Euchromatic Elements of the X and Y Chromosomes of Drosophila Busckii with the Microchromosome of Drosophila Melanogaster. Genetics. 1959;44:1027-40 pubmed
- Hartl T, Sweeney S, Knepler P, Bosco G. Condensin II resolves chromosomal associations to enable anaphase I segregation in Drosophila male meiosis. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000228 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, persistence of homologous and heterologous interchromosomal associations lead to anaphase I chromatin bridging and the generation of aneuploid gametes. ..
- Pickup A, Ming L, Lipshitz H. Hindsight modulates Delta expression during Drosophila cone cell induction. Development. 2009;136:975-82 pubmed publisher..transcription to reach high enough levels at the right time to induce the cone-cell determinants Prospero and D-Pax2 in neighboring cells...
- Dziedzic K, Heaphy J, Prescott H, KAVALER J. The transcription factor D-Pax2 regulates crystallin production during eye development in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2530-9 pubmed publisher..Here we show that D-Pax2 plays a significant role in lens development through regulation of the Crystallin gene and because Crystallin is ..
- Gilliland W, Hughes S, Vietti D, Hawley R. Congression of achiasmate chromosomes to the metaphase plate in Drosophila melanogaster oocytes. Dev Biol. 2009;325:122-8 pubmed publisher..This repackaged state is the true metaphase arrest configuration in Drosophila female meiosis. ..
- Montenegro H, Petherwick A, Hurst G, Klaczko L. Fitness effects of Wolbachia and Spiroplasma in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetica. 2006;127:207-15 pubmed
- Tobler H, Rothenbühler V, Nothiger R. A study of the differentiation of bracts in Drosophila melanogaster using two mutations, H 2 and sv de . Experientia. 1973;29:370-1 pubmed
- Kronhamn J, Frei E, Daube M, Jiao R, Shi Y, Noll M, et al. Headless flies produced by mutations in the paralogous Pax6 genes eyeless and twin of eyeless. Development. 2002;129:1015-26 pubmed
- Sun F, Haynes K, Simpson C, Lee S, Collins L, Wuller J, et al. cis-Acting determinants of heterochromatin formation on Drosophila melanogaster chromosome four. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:8210-20 pubmed..We propose that heterochromatin formation is initiated at dispersed repetitive elements along the fourth chromosome and spreads for approximately 10 kb or until encountering competition from a euchromatic determinant. ..
- Hilgers V, Bushati N, Cohen S. Drosophila microRNAs 263a/b confer robustness during development by protecting nascent sense organs from apoptosis. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000396 pubmed publisher..In the context of the retina, this mechanism ensures that the interommatidial bristles are protected during the developmentally programmed wave of cell death that prunes excess cells in order to refine the pattern of the pupal retina...
- Apitz H, Strünkelnberg M, de Couet H, Fischbach K. Single-minded, Dmef2, Pointed, and Su(H) act on identified regulatory sequences of the roughest gene in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Genes Evol. 2005;215:460-69 pubmed..Mutagenesis of Sim consensus binding sites in the regulatory module required for rst expression in the embryonic midline, abolished rst expression; indicating that the regulation of rst by Sim is direct. ..
- Sturtevant A. Genetic Data on Drosophila Affinis, with a Discussion of the Relationships in the Subgenus Sophophora. Genetics. 1940;25:337-53 pubmed
- Grillenzoni N, de Vaux V, Meuwly J, Vuichard S, Jarman A, Holohan E, et al. Role of proneural genes in the formation of the larval olfactory organ of Drosophila. Dev Genes Evol. 2007;217:209-19 pubmed
- Swanson C, Schwimmer D, Barolo S. Rapid evolutionary rewiring of a structurally constrained eye enhancer. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1186-96 pubmed publisher..Here, we examine evolutionary changes to the sequence and structure of sparkling, a Notch/EGFR/Runx-regulated enhancer that activates the dPax2 gene in cone cells of the developing Drosophila ..
- Davis D. Chromosome Behavior under the Influence of Claret-Nondisjunctional in DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER. Genetics. 1969;61:577-94 pubmed
- Oster I, Crang R. Scanning electron microscopy of drosophila mutant and wild type eyes. Trans Am Microsc Soc. 1972;91:600-2 pubmed
- Gaertner B, Johnston J, Chen K, Wallaschek N, Paulson A, Garruss A, et al. Poised RNA polymerase II changes over developmental time and prepares genes for future expression. Cell Rep. 2012;2:1670-83 pubmed publisherPoised RNA polymerase II (Pol II) is predominantly found at developmental control genes and is thought to allow their rapid and synchronous induction in response to extracellular signals...
- Andrews H, Giagtzoglou N, Yamamoto S, Schulze K, Bellen H. Sequoia regulates cell fate decisions in the external sensory organs of adult Drosophila. EMBO Rep. 2009;10:636-41 pubmed publisher..of several crucial transcription factors known to be important in peripheral nervous system development such as D-Pax2, Prospero and Hamlet...
- Sousa Neves R, Schinaman J. A novel genetic tool for clonal analysis of fourth chromosome mutations. Fly (Austin). 2012;6:49-56 pubmed publisher..Here we introduce a method that overcomes these limitations and allows for the generation of single Minute haplo-4 clones of any fourth chromosome mutant gene in tissues of developing and adult flies. ..
- Ghazi A, VijayRaghavan K. Developmental biology. Control by combinatorial codes. Nature. 2000;408:419-20 pubmed
- Ball E, Hayward D, Saint R, Miller D. A simple plan--cnidarians and the origins of developmental mechanisms. Nat Rev Genet. 2004;5:567-77 pubmed
- Morgan L. A Variable Phenotype Associated with the Fourth Chromosome of DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER and Affected by Heterochromatin. Genetics. 1947;32:200-19 pubmed
- Inbal A, Levanon D, Salzberg A. Multiple roles for u-turn/ventral veinless in the development of Drosophila PNS. Development. 2003;130:2467-78 pubmed..In the embryo, loss of VVL function results in increased apoptosis in specific es organs. Analysis of vvl mutant clones in adults revealed a requirement for VVL in the control of cell number within the bristle lineage. ..
- Tang C, Sun Y. Use of mini-white as a reporter gene to screen for GAL4 insertions with spatially restricted expression pattern in the developing eye in drosophila. Genesis. 2002;34:39-45 pubmed
- Breitling R, Gerber J. Origin of the paired domain. Dev Genes Evol. 2000;210:644-50 pubmed
- Blanco J, Girard F, Kamachi Y, Kondoh H, Gehring W. Functional analysis of the chicken delta1-crystallin enhancer activity in Drosophila reveals remarkable evolutionary conservation between chicken and fly. Development. 2005;132:1895-905 pubmed..e. the cone cells. However, regulation of the DC5 enhancer is carried out not by Pax6, but by Pax2 (D-Pax2; shaven--FlyBase) in combination with the Sox2 homologue SoxN...
- Siddall N, Behan K, Crew J, Cheung T, Fair J, Batterham P, et al. Mutations in lozenge and D-Pax2 invoke ectopic patterned cell death in the developing Drosophila eye using distinct mechanisms. Dev Genes Evol. 2003;213:107-19 pubmed..In lozenge null mutants, apoptosis occurs prior to lozenge-dependent cell fate specification. A second gene, D-Pax2, genetically interacts with lozenge...
- Hochman B. Analysis of chromosome 4 in Drosophila melanogaster. II. Ethyl methanesulfonate induced lethals. Genetics. 1971;67:235-52 pubmed
- Gresser A, Gutzwiller L, Gauck M, Hartenstein V, Cook T, Gebelein B. Rhomboid Enhancer Activity Defines a Subset of Drosophila Neural Precursors Required for Proper Feeding, Growth and Viability. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0134915 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest a critical role for these enhancer-defined lineages in regulating feeding, growth and viability. ..
- Bosch J, Tran N, Hariharan I. CoinFLP: a system for efficient mosaic screening and for visualizing clonal boundaries in Drosophila. Development. 2015;142:597-606 pubmed publisher..By combining CoinFLP-LexGAD/Gal4 with the split-GFP system GRASP, boundaries between genetically distinct cell populations can be visualized at high resolution. ..
- Valtonen T, Roff D, Rantala M. The deleterious effects of high inbreeding on male Drosophila melanogaster attractiveness are observed under competitive but not under non-competitive conditions. Behav Genet. 2014;44:144-54 pubmed publisher..Under non-competitive conditions, no effect of inbreeding was found on either mating speed or copulation duration. Both mating success and mating speed showed much higher inbreeding depression than male size. ..
- Peng Y, Han C, Axelrod J. Planar polarized protrusions break the symmetry of EGFR signaling during Drosophila bract cell fate induction. Dev Cell. 2012;23:507-18 pubmed publisher..The planar polarized direction of the protrusions determines the direction of the signaling outcome. This asymmetric cell signaling serves as a developmental mechanism to generate spatially patterned cell fates. ..
- Ben Yaacov S, Le Borgne R, Abramson I, Schweisguth F, Schejter E. Wasp, the Drosophila Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome gene homologue, is required for cell fate decisions mediated by Notch signaling. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:1-13 pubmed..The nature of the Wsp mutant phenotypes, coupled with genetic interaction studies, identifies an essential role for Wsp in lineage decisions mediated by the Notch signaling pathway. ..
- He B, Adler P. The genetic control of arista lateral morphogenesis in Drosophila. Dev Genes Evol. 2002;212:218-29 pubmed..We also found that mutations that lead to lateral splitting typically alter the stereotypic arrangement of actin filament bundles and microtubules in laterals. ..
- Javeed N, Tardi N, Maher M, Singari S, Edwards K. Controlled expression of Drosophila homeobox loci using the Hostile takeover system. Dev Dyn. 2015;244:808-25 pubmed publisher..screens, Hto inserts were recovered at eight homeobox or Pax loci: cut, Drgx/CG34340, Pox neuro, araucan, shaven/D-Pax2, Zn finger homeodomain 2, Sex combs reduced (Scr), and the abdominal-A region...
- Kang J, Yeom E, Lim J, Choi K. Bar represses dPax2 and decapentaplegic to regulate cell fate and morphogenetic cell death in Drosophila eye. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e88171 pubmed publisher..that loss of Bar from the undifferentiated retinal precursor cells leads to ectopic expression of Prospero and dPax2, two transcription factors essential for cone cell specification, resulting in excess cone cell differentiation...
- Green M, Piergentili R. On the origin of metacentric, attached-X (A-X) chromosomes in Drosophila melanogaster males. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:14484-7 pubmed..The inseparabile mutation also affects disjunction of the chromosome 4 in males. We suspect that the mutation was responsible for the original A-X female found by L. V. Morgan in 1921. ..
- Friedrich M, Caravas J. New insights from hemichordate genomes: prebilaterian origin and parallel modifications in the paired domain of the Pax gene eyegone. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2011;316:387-92 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings identify Drosophila eyg as the baptizing member of an ancient Pax gene subfamily and recommend abandoning its classification as Pax6(5a)-related gene. ..
- Lai E, Bodner R, Kavaler J, Freschi G, Posakony J. Antagonism of notch signaling activity by members of a novel protein family encoded by the bearded and enhancer of split gene complexes. Development. 2000;127:291-306 pubmed..These results suggest that Bearded family genes encode a novel class of effectors or modulators of Notch signaling. ..
- Canon J, Banerjee U. In vivo analysis of a developmental circuit for direct transcriptional activation and repression in the same cell by a Runx protein. Genes Dev. 2003;17:838-43 pubmed..This study provides a mechanistic basis for the dual function of Runx proteins that is likely to be conserved in mammalian systems. ..
- Moore A, Roegiers F, Jan L, Jan Y. Conversion of neurons and glia to external-cell fates in the external sensory organs of Drosophila hamlet mutants by a cousin-cousin cell-type respecification. Genes Dev. 2004;18:623-8 pubmed..The fate-determining signals NOTCH and PAX2 act at multiple stages of lineage elaboration and HAMLET acts to modulate their activity in a branch-specific ..
- Barolo S, Stone T, Bang A, Posakony J. Default repression and Notch signaling: Hairless acts as an adaptor to recruit the corepressors Groucho and dCtBP to Suppressor of Hairless. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1964-76 pubmed
- Brianti M, Ananina G, Klaczko L. Differential occurrence of chromosome inversion polymorphisms among Muller's elements in three species of the tripunctata group of Drosophila, including a species with fast chromosomal evolution. Genome. 2013;56:17-26 pubmed publisher..It has two chromosome fusions: an additional heterochromatic chromosome pair and a pericentric inversion in the X chromosome. This especial conformation suggests a fast chromosomal evolution that deserves further study. ..
- Shamloula H, Mbogho M, Pimentel A, Chrzanowska Lightowlers Z, Hyatt V, Okano H, et al. rugose (rg), a Drosophila A kinase anchor protein, is required for retinal pattern formation and interacts genetically with multiple signaling pathways. Genetics. 2002;161:693-710 pubmed..Our results suggest that rg is required for correct retinal pattern formation and may function in cell fate determination through its interactions with the EGFR and Notch signaling pathways. ..
- Jiao R, Daube M, Duan H, Zou Y, Frei E, Noll M. Headless flies generated by developmental pathway interference. Development. 2001;128:3307-19 pubmed
- Cordero J, Cagan R. Canonical wingless signaling regulates cone cell specification in the Drosophila retina. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:875-84 pubmed publisher..This activity requires canonical Wg signaling and is linked with Notch pathway activity. Our work broadens the role of canonical Wg signaling to encompass multiple patterning steps in the emerging Drosophila retina. ..
- Biggin M, McGinnis W. Regulation of segmentation and segmental identity by Drosophila homeoproteins: the role of DNA binding in functional activity and specificity. Development. 1997;124:4425-33 pubmed..In this 'widespread binding' model, cofactors act mainly by helping to distinguish the way in which homeoproteins regulate targets to which they are already bound. ..
- Locke J, Podemski L, Aippersbach N, Kemp H, Hodgetts R. A physical map of the polytenized region (101EF-102F) of chromosome 4 in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2000;155:1175-83 pubmed..A minimal tiling set of the clones we have mapped will facilitate both the assembly of the DNA sequence of the chromosome and a functional analysis of its genes. ..
- Fricke C, Martin O, Bretman A, Bussière L, Chapman T. Sperm competitive ability and indices of lifetime reproductive success. Evolution. 2010;64:2746-57 pubmed publisher..The study illustrates how P1 and P2 can have differing relationships with a male's overall reproductive success, and highlights the importance of understanding commonly used measures of sperm competition in the currency of fitness. ..