Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Su(z)12
Alias: CG8013, Dmel\CG8013, SU(Z)12, SUZ12, Su(Z)12, Su(z), l(3)76BDo, su(z)12, Su(z)12, CG8013-PA, CG8013-PB, Su(z)12-PA, Su(z)12-PB, Suppressor-of-zeste-12, suppressor of zeste 12, suppressor of zeste
Species: fruit fly
- Kelley R, Kuroda M. The Drosophila roX1 RNA gene can overcome silent chromatin by recruiting the male-specific lethal dosage compensation complex. Genetics. 2003;164:565-74 pubmed..The potency with which an ectopic MSL complex overcomes silent chromatin suggests that its normal action on the X must be under strict regulation. ..
- Papp B, Muller J. Histone trimethylation and the maintenance of transcriptional ON and OFF states by trxG and PcG proteins. Genes Dev. 2006;20:2041-54 pubmed
- Tie F, Banerjee R, Stratton C, Prasad Sinha J, Stepanik V, Zlobin A, et al. CBP-mediated acetylation of histone H3 lysine 27 antagonizes Drosophila Polycomb silencing. Development. 2009;136:3131-41 pubmed publisher..We propose that TRX-dependent acetylation of H3K27 by CBP prevents H3K27me3 at Polycomb target genes and constitutes a key part of the molecular mechanism by which TRX antagonizes or prevents Polycomb silencing. ..
- Kurzhals R, Tie F, Stratton C, Harte P. Drosophila ESC-like can substitute for ESC and becomes required for Polycomb silencing if ESC is absent. Dev Biol. 2008;313:293-306 pubmed..Thus escl appears to function in a backup capacity during development that becomes important only when normal esc expression is compromised. ..
- Grossniklaus U, Paro R. Transcriptional silencing by polycomb-group proteins. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2014;6:a019331 pubmed publisher..PcG silencing is medically relevant as it is often observed in human disorders, including cancer, and tissue regeneration, which involve the reprogramming of PcG-controlled target genes. ..
- Mason Suares H, Tie F, Yan C, Harte P. Polycomb silencing of the Drosophila 4E-BP gene regulates imaginal disc cell growth. Dev Biol. 2013;380:111-24 pubmed publisher..These results thus suggest that PcG proteins can directly modulate cell growth in Drosophila, in part by regulating Thor expression. ..
- Wen P, Quan Z, Xi R. The biological function of the WD40 repeat-containing protein p55/Caf1 in Drosophila. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:455-64 pubmed publisher..Our studies suggest that p55 is not crucial for PRC2-mediated gene silencing in vivo, and the vital function of p55 is probably not dependent on its interaction with histone H4. ..
- Schmitges F, Prusty A, Faty M, Stützer A, Lingaraju G, Aiwazian J, et al. Histone methylation by PRC2 is inhibited by active chromatin marks. Mol Cell. 2011;42:330-41 pubmed publisher..Inhibition by active chromatin marks, coupled to stimulation by transcriptionally repressive H3K27me3, enables PRC2 to autonomously template repressive H3K27me3 without overwriting active chromatin domains. ..
- Cabrera J, Olcese U, Horabin J. A balancing act: heterochromatin protein 1a and the Polycomb group coordinate their levels to silence chromatin in Drosophila. Epigenetics Chromatin. 2015;8:17 pubmed publisher..This is also when the embryo organizes its genome into heterochromatin and euchromatin. A balance between the HP1a and Polycomb group silencing systems appears to be set for the chromatin types that each system will primarily regulate. ..
- Calvo MartÃn J, Librado P, AguadÃ© M, Papaceit M, Segarra C. Adaptive selection and coevolution at the proteins of the Polycomb repressive complexes in Drosophila. Heredity (Edinb). 2016;116:213-23 pubmed publisher..These clusters include well-established binary interactions among PcG proteins as well as new putative interactions. ..
- Gaytán de Ayala Alonso A, Gutierrez L, Fritsch C, Papp B, Beuchle D, Muller J. A genetic screen identifies novel polycomb group genes in Drosophila. Genetics. 2007;176:2099-108 pubmed..The results of the mutant screen reported here suggest that the majority of nonredundant Drosophila genes with strong classic PcG phenotypes have been identified. ..
- Zirin J, Mann R. Differing strategies for the establishment and maintenance of teashirt and homothorax repression in the Drosophila wing. Development. 2004;131:5683-93 pubmed..Thus, despite their overall similar expression patterns, tsh and hth repression in the wing disc is controlled by two very different mechanisms. ..
- Sengupta A, Kuhrs A, Muller J. General transcriptional silencing by a Polycomb response element in Drosophila. Development. 2004;131:1959-65 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that PREs function as general silencer elements through which PcG proteins mediate transcriptional repression. ..
- Lv X, Han Z, Chen H, Yang B, Yang X, Xia Y, et al. A positive role for polycomb in transcriptional regulation via H4K20me1. Cell Res. 2016;26:529-42 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study reveals that, coupling with the transcription factor Br, Pc positively regulates transcription of Pc(+)H3K27me3(+)H4K20me1(+) genes in developing Drosophila wing disc. ..
- Prabhakaran M, Kelley R. A new strategy for isolating genes controlling dosage compensation in Drosophila using a simple epigenetic mosaic eye phenotype. BMC Biol. 2010;8:80 pubmed publisher..This strategy is a promising alternative route for identifying previously unknown components of the dosage compensation pathway and novel alleles of known MSL proteins. ..
- Gambetta M, Oktaba K, Muller J. Essential role of the glycosyltransferase sxc/Ogt in polycomb repression. Science. 2009;325:93-6 pubmed publisher..Polycomb repression appears to be a critical function of Sxc/Ogt in Drosophila and may be mediated by the glycosylation of Polyhomeotic. ..
- Anderson A, Karandikar U, Pepple K, Chen Z, Bergmann A, Mardon G. The enhancer of trithorax and polycomb gene Caf1/p55 is essential for cell survival and patterning in Drosophila development. Development. 2011;138:1957-66 pubmed publisher..More importantly, our mutant phenotypes confirm that Caf1-mediated silencing is vital to Drosophila development. These studies underscore the importance of Caf1 and its mammalian homologs in development and disease. ..
- Tie F, Siebold A, Harte P. The N-terminus of Drosophila ESC mediates its phosphorylation and dimerization. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;332:622-32 pubmed..Thus, stability and perhaps assembly of larger ESC complexes may depend on ESC phosphorylation. ..
- Chen S, Birve A, Rasmuson Lestander A. In vivo analysis of Drosophila SU(Z)12 function. Mol Genet Genomics. 2008;279:159-70 pubmed..In addition, we analyzed the binding pattern of Heterochromatin Protein 1 (HP1) and found that SU(Z)12 and HP1 do not co-localize. ..
- Bowman S, Deaton A, Domingues H, Wang P, Sadreyev R, Kingston R, et al. H3K27 modifications define segmental regulatory domains in the Drosophila bithorax complex. elife. 2014;3:e02833 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a molecular definition of the homeotic domains, and implicate precisely positioned H3K27 modifications as a central determinant of segment identity. ..
- Qi D, Jin H, Lilja T, Mannervik M. Drosophila Reptin and other TIP60 complex components promote generation of silent chromatin. Genetics. 2006;174:241-51 pubmed..This shows that the TIP60 complex can promote the generation of silent chromatin. ..
- Wang L, Jahren N, Vargas M, Andersen E, Benes J, Zhang J, et al. Alternative ESC and ESC-like subunits of a polycomb group histone methyltransferase complex are differentially deployed during Drosophila development. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:2637-47 pubmed..These results suggest that ESCL and ESC have similar functions in E(Z) methyltransferase complexes but are differentially deployed as development proceeds. ..
- Zhu X, Sen J, Stevens L, Goltz J, Stein D. Drosophila pipe protein activity in the ovary and the embryonic salivary gland does not require heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycans. Development. 2005;132:3813-22 pubmed..Taken together, our data provide evidence that Pipe acts as a sulfotransferase, but argue against the hypothesis that the target of Pipe is a heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycan. ..
- Bengani H, Mendiratta S, Maini J, Vasanthi D, Sultana H, Ghasemi M, et al. Identification and Validation of a Putative Polycomb Responsive Element in the Human Genome. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67217 pubmed publisher..localization of PcG proteins including YY1 to PRE-PIK3C2B in HEK cells is decreased on knock-down of either YY1 or SUZ12. Endogenous PRE-PIK3C2B shows bivalent marking having H3K27me3 and H3K4me3 for repressed and active state ..
- Rai A, Vargas M, Wang L, Andersen E, Miller E, Simon J. Elements of the polycomb repressor SU(Z)12 needed for histone H3-K27 methylation, the interface with E(Z), and in vivo function. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4844-56 pubmed publisher..This study defines functionally critical SU(Z)12 elements, including key determinants of SU(Z)12-E(Z) communication. Together with recent findings, this illuminates PRC2 modulation by conserved inputs from its noncatalytic subunits...
- Tie F, Banerjee R, Conrad P, Scacheri P, Harte P. Histone demethylase UTX and chromatin remodeler BRM bind directly to CBP and modulate acetylation of histone H3 lysine 27. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:2323-34 pubmed publisher..We propose that direct binding of UTX and BRM to CBP and their modulation of H3K27ac play an important role in antagonizing Polycomb silencing. ..
- Nuzhdin S, Reiwitch S. Are the same genes responsible for intra- and interspecific variability for sex comb tooth number in Drosophila?. Heredity (Edinb). 2000;84 ( Pt 1):97-102 pubmed..One intraspecific QTL mapped to the same interval as the QTL for interspecific differences between D. simulans and D. mauritiana. Whether or not these effects result from the same genes requires further examination. ..
- Joshi P, Carrington E, Wang L, Ketel C, Miller E, Jones R, et al. Dominant alleles identify SET domain residues required for histone methyltransferase of Polycomb repressive complex 2. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:27757-66 pubmed publisher..These results identify critical SET domain residues needed for PRC2 enzyme function, and they also emphasize functional inputs from outside the SET domain. ..
- Nowak A, Alfieri C, Stirnimann C, Rybin V, Baudin F, Ly Hartig N, et al. Chromatin-modifying complex component Nurf55/p55 associates with histones H3 and H4 and polycomb repressive complex 2 subunit Su(z)12 through partially overlapping binding sites. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:23388-96 pubmed publisher..Our results show similarities in the recognition of histone H4 and Su(z)12 and identify Nurf55 as a versatile interactor that simultaneously contacts multiple partners. ..
- Touma J, Weckerle F, Cleary M. Drosophila Polycomb complexes restrict neuroblast competence to generate motoneurons. Development. 2012;139:657-66 pubmed publisher..These findings support a model in which PRCs establish motoneuron-specific competence windows in neuroblasts that transition from motoneuron to interneuron production. ..
- Herz H, Mohan M, Garrett A, Miller C, Casto D, Zhang Y, et al. Polycomb repressive complex 2-dependent and -independent functions of Jarid2 in transcriptional regulation in Drosophila. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:1683-93 pubmed publisher..Genome-wide profiling of Jarid2, Su(z)12 (Suppressor of zeste 12), and H3K27me3 occupancy by chromatin immunoprecipitation with sequencing (ChIP-seq) indicates that Jarid2 ..
- Yuan W, Wu T, Fu H, Dai C, Wu H, Liu N, et al. Dense chromatin activates Polycomb repressive complex 2 to regulate H3 lysine 27 methylation. Science. 2012;337:971-5 pubmed publisher..We propose that PRC2 can sense the chromatin environment to exert its role in the maintenance of transcriptional states. ..
- Chen S, Rasmuson Lestander A. Regulation of the Drosophila engrailed gene by Polycomb repressor complex 2. Mech Dev. 2009;126:443-8 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that this is due to secondary effects, probably caused by ectopic expression of Ubx and Abd-B. ..
- Kalb R, Latwiel S, Baymaz H, Jansen P, Müller C, Vermeulen M, et al. Histone H2A monoubiquitination promotes histone H3 methylation in Polycomb repression. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2014;21:569-71 pubmed publisher..Jarid2, Aebp2 and H2Aub thus constitute components of a positive feedback loop establishing H3K27me3 chromatin domains. ..
- Chen X, Lu C, Morillo Prado J, Eun S, Fuller M. Sequential changes at differentiation gene promoters as they become active in a stem cell lineage. Development. 2011;138:2441-50 pubmed publisher..Together, the action of the tMAC and tTAF cell type-specific chromatin and transcription machinery leads to loss of Polycomb and release of stalled Pol II from the terminal differentiation gene promoters, allowing robust transcription. ..
- Heard E. Delving into the diversity of facultative heterochromatin: the epigenetics of the inactive X chromosome. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2005;15:482-9 pubmed..Lineage-specific differences provide a glimpse into the developmental complexity of the epigenetic marks that ensure the inactive state. ..
- Maeda R, Karch F. The ABC of the BX-C: the bithorax complex explained. Development. 2006;133:1413-22 pubmed..This primer attempts to distill and explain our current knowledge about this classic, complex locus. ..
- Bello B, Holbro N, Reichert H. Polycomb group genes are required for neural stem cell survival in postembryonic neurogenesis of Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:1091-9 pubmed..reduced in the absence of Polycomb, Sex combs extra, Sex combs on midleg, Enhancer of zeste or Suppressor of zeste 12. The proliferation defects in these PcG mutants are due to the loss of neuroblasts by apoptosis in the ..
- Piunti A, Shilatifard A. Epigenetic balance of gene expression by Polycomb and COMPASS families. Science. 2016;352:aad9780 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will discuss the latest findings regarding the properties of the PcG and COMPASS families and the insight they provide into the epigenetic control of transcription under physiological and pathological settings. ..
- Margueron R, Reinberg D. The Polycomb complex PRC2 and its mark in life. Nature. 2011;469:343-9 pubmed publisher..Recent studies of PRC2 have expanded our perspectives on its function and regulation, and uncovered a role for non-coding RNA in the recruitment of PRC2 to target genes. ..
- Di Croce L, Helin K. Transcriptional regulation by Polycomb group proteins. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:1147-55 pubmed publisher..Here we discuss our current knowledge of the PRC complexes, how they are targeted to chromatin and how the high diversity of the PcG proteins allows these complexes to influence cell identity. ..
- Nekrasov M, Klymenko T, Fraterman S, Papp B, Oktaba K, Kocher T, et al. Pcl-PRC2 is needed to generate high levels of H3-K27 trimethylation at Polycomb target genes. EMBO J. 2007;26:4078-88 pubmed..Pcl-PRC2 is thus the HMTase that generates the high levels of H3-K27 trimethylation in Polycomb target genes that are needed to maintain a Polycomb-repressed chromatin state. ..
- Lanzuolo C, Orlando V. Memories from the polycomb group proteins. Annu Rev Genet. 2012;46:561-89 pubmed publisher..In this review, we focus on the multiple modes of action of the PcG complexes and describe their biological roles. ..
- Classen A, Bunker B, Harvey K, Vaccari T, Bilder D. A tumor suppressor activity of Drosophila Polycomb genes mediated by JAK-STAT signaling. Nat Genet. 2009;41:1150-5 pubmed publisher..These findings show that PcG proteins can restrict growth directly by silencing mitogenic signaling pathways, shedding light on an epigenetic mechanism underlying tumor suppression. ..
- Iovino N, Ciabrelli F, Cavalli G. PRC2 controls Drosophila oocyte cell fate by repressing cell cycle genes. Dev Cell. 2013;26:431-9 pubmed publisher..By contrast, the PRC1 component Polycomb (Pc) plays no role in this process. Our results demonstrate that PRC2 plays an exquisite role in the determination of the oocyte fate by preventing its switching into an endoreplicative program. ..
- Gambetta M, MÃ¼ller J. O-GlcNAcylation prevents aggregation of the Polycomb group repressor polyhomeotic. Dev Cell. 2014;31:629-39 pubmed publisher..We propose that O-GlcNAcylation is needed for Ph to form functional, ordered assemblies via its SAM domain. ..
- Kehle J, Beuchle D, Treuheit S, Christen B, Kennison J, Bienz M, et al. dMi-2, a hunchback-interacting protein that functions in polycomb repression. Science. 1998;282:1897-900 pubmed..Genetic analyses show that dMi-2 participates in both Hunchback and Polycomb repression in vivo. Hence, recruitment of dMi-2 may serve as a link between repression of HOX genes by Hunchback and Polycomb proteins. ..
- Zhang Y, Lin N, Carroll P, Chan G, Guan B, Xiao H, et al. Epigenetic blocking of an enhancer region controls irradiation-induced proapoptotic gene expression in Drosophila embryos. Dev Cell. 2008;14:481-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, direct epigenetic regulation of two proapoptotic genes controls cellular sensitivity to cytotoxic stimuli. ..
- Robins H, Li Y, Padgett R. Incorporating structure to predict microRNA targets. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:4006-9 pubmed..One of these validated genes is mad as a target for bantam. Furthermore, our computational and experimental data suggest that miRNAs have fewer targets than previously reported. ..
- Ohno K, McCabe D, Czermin B, Imhof A, Pirrotta V. ESC, ESCL and their roles in Polycomb Group mechanisms. Mech Dev. 2008;125:527-41 pubmed publisher..Finally, using zygotic mutations in both genes, we show that the gradual loss of function of PRC2 activity leads first to a loss of histone H3 K27 methylation and only at a later stage to a gradual loss of PRC1 binding to chromatin. ..
- Lee H, Kahn T, Simcox A, Schwartz Y, Pirrotta V. Genome-wide activities of Polycomb complexes control pervasive transcription. Genome Res. 2015;25:1170-81 pubmed publisher..We show, however, that H2AK118ub does not mediate the global PRC2 activity or the global repression and is predominantly produced by a new complex involving L(3)73Ah, a homolog of mammalian PCGF3. ..
- Yung P, Stuetzer A, Fischle W, Martinez A, Cavalli G. Histone H3 Serine 28 Is Essential for Efficient Polycomb-Mediated Gene Repression in Drosophila. Cell Rep. 2015;11:1437-45 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data indicate that the conserved H3S28 residue in metazoans has a role in supporting PRC2 catalysis. ..
- Mills A. Throwing the cancer switch: reciprocal roles of polycomb and trithorax proteins. Nat Rev Cancer. 2010;10:669-82 pubmed publisher..Recent work highlights the dynamic interplay between these opposing classes of proteins, providing new avenues for understanding how these epigenetic regulators function in tumorigenesis. ..