Genomes and Genes
Su var 3 7
Gene Symbol: Su var 3 7
Description: Suppressor of variegation 3-7
Alias: CG8599, DmSu(var)3-7, Dmel\CG8599, SU(VAR)3-7, Su(Var)3-7, Su(var)(3)3, Su(var)(3)7, Su-var(3)7, Suvar(3)7, l(3)87El, suppressor of variegation 3-7, CG8599-PA, CG8599-PB, Su(var)3-7-PA, Su(var)3-7-PB
Species: fruit fly
Products: Su var 3 7
- Kelley R, Kuroda M. The Drosophila roX1 RNA gene can overcome silent chromatin by recruiting the male-specific lethal dosage compensation complex. Genetics. 2003;164:565-74 pubmed..The potency with which an ectopic MSL complex overcomes silent chromatin suggests that its normal action on the X must be under strict regulation. ..
- Johansson A, Stenberg P, Bernhardsson C, Larsson J. Painting of fourth and chromosome-wide regulation of the 4th chromosome in Drosophila melanogaster. EMBO J. 2007;26:2307-16 pubmed..We propose a balancing mechanism involving POF and HP1 that provides a feedback system for fine-tuning expression status of genes on the 4th chromosome. ..
- Schotta G, Ebert A, Krauss V, Fischer A, Hoffmann J, Rea S, et al. Central role of Drosophila SU(VAR)3-9 in histone H3-K9 methylation and heterochromatic gene silencing. EMBO J. 2002;21:1121-31 pubmed..Finally, the human SUV39H1 gene is able to partially rescue Su(var)3-9 silencing defects. Together, these data indicate a central role for the SU(VAR)3-9 HMTase in heterochromatin-induced gene silencing in Drosophila. ..
- Delattre M, Spierer A, Tonka C, Spierer P. The genomic silencing of position-effect variegation in Drosophila melanogaster: interaction between the heterochromatin-associated proteins Su(var)3-7 and HP1. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 Pt 23:4253-61 pubmed..This body of data supports a direct link between Su(var)3-7 and HP1 in the genomic silencing of position-effect variegation. ..
- Cléard F, Delattre M, Spierer P. SU(VAR)3-7, a Drosophila heterochromatin-associated protein and companion of HP1 in the genomic silencing of position-effect variegation. EMBO J. 1997;16:5280-8 pubmed..In addition, the two loci interact genetically, and the two proteins co-immunoprecipitate from nuclear extracts. The results suggest that SU(VAR)3-7 and HP1 co-operate in building the genomic silencing associated with heterochromatin. ..
- Cléard F, Spierer P. Position-effect variegation in Drosophila: the modifier Su(var)3-7 is a modular DNA-binding protein. EMBO Rep. 2001;2:1095-100 pubmed
- Spierer A, Seum C, Delattre M, Spierer P. Loss of the modifiers of variegation Su(var)3-7 or HP1 impacts male X polytene chromosome morphology and dosage compensation. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:5047-57 pubmed..This observation reveals a new and intriguing genetic interaction between epigenetic silencing and compensation of dose. ..
- Weiler K, Wakimoto B. Heterochromatin and gene expression in Drosophila. Annu Rev Genet. 1995;29:577-605 pubmed
- Cléard F, Matsarskaia M, Spierer P. The modifier of position-effect variegation Suvar(3)7 of Drosophila: there are two alternative transcripts and seven scattered zinc fingers, each preceded by a tryptophan box. Nucleic Acids Res. 1995;23:796-802 pubmed..The ubiquitous distribution of transcripts in embryos and the different sequence motifs support our speculation that the locus encodes a chromosomal protein implicated in heterochromatin-mediated DNA silencing. ..
- Straub T, Becker P. Dosage compensation: the beginning and end of generalization. Nat Rev Genet. 2007;8:47-57 pubmed
- Tschiersch B, Hofmann A, Krauss V, Dorn R, Korge G, Reuter G. The protein encoded by the Drosophila position-effect variegation suppressor gene Su(var)3-9 combines domains of antagonistic regulators of homeotic gene complexes. EMBO J. 1994;13:3822-31 pubmed
- Seum C, Spierer A, Delattre M, Pauli D, Spierer P. A GAL4-HP1 fusion protein targeted near heterochromatin promotes gene silencing. Chromosoma. 2000;109:453-9 pubmed..Therefore, in the Heidi and Tell rearrangements, enhancement of position-effect variegation depends strictly both on the concentration of GAL4-HP1 and on the presence of its binding site in the vicinity of the reporter genes. ..
- Prabhakaran M, Kelley R. A new strategy for isolating genes controlling dosage compensation in Drosophila using a simple epigenetic mosaic eye phenotype. BMC Biol. 2010;8:80 pubmed publisher..This strategy is a promising alternative route for identifying previously unknown components of the dosage compensation pathway and novel alleles of known MSL proteins. ..
- Sun F, Cuaycong M, Elgin S. Long-range nucleosome ordering is associated with gene silencing in Drosophila melanogaster pericentric heterochromatin. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:2867-79 pubmed..The results indicate that long-range nucleosomal ordering is linked with the heterochromatic packaging that imposes gene silencing. ..
- Westphal T, Reuter G. Recombinogenic effects of suppressors of position-effect variegation in Drosophila. Genetics. 2002;160:609-21 pubmed..Our data suggest that crossing-over suppression by heterochromatin is controlled at chromatin structure as well as illustrate the possible effects of heterochromatin on total crossing-over frequencies in the genome. ..
- Eissenberg J, Elgin S. The HP1 protein family: getting a grip on chromatin. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2000;10:204-10 pubmed..A number of intriguing interactions between HP1 and other proteins have been described, implicating HP1 in gene regulation, DNA replication, and nuclear architecture. ..
- Chan C, Rastelli L, Pirrotta V. A Polycomb response element in the Ubx gene that determines an epigenetically inherited state of repression. EMBO J. 1994;13:2553-64 pubmed..The significance of this mechanism for homeotic gene regulation is discussed. ..
- Lu B, Eissenberg J. Time out: developmental regulation of heterochromatic silencing in Drosophila. Cell Mol Life Sci. 1998;54:50-9 pubmed
- Nisha P, Plank J, Csink A. Analysis of chromatin structure of genes silenced by heterochromatin in trans. Genetics. 2008;179:359-73 pubmed publisher..Our molecular data agree well with the differential phenotypic effect on bwD trans-inactivation of various genes known to be involved in histone modification and cis gene silencing...
- Wustmann G, Szidonya J, Taubert H, Reuter G. The genetics of position-effect variegation modifying loci in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1989;217:520-7 pubmed..Most of these loci proved not to display significant triplo-effects (35). The group of haplo-abnormal loci with a triplo-effect may represent genes which play an important role in heterochromatin packaging. ..
- Josse T, Teysset L, Todeschini A, Sidor C, Anxolabehere D, Ronsseray S. Telomeric trans-silencing: an epigenetic repression combining RNA silencing and heterochromatin formation. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:1633-43 pubmed..melanogaster genome. Therefore, the study of TSE provides insight into the genetic properties of a germline-specific small RNA silencing pathway. ..
- Haynes K, Gracheva E, Elgin S. A Distinct type of heterochromatin within Drosophila melanogaster chromosome 4. Genetics. 2007;175:1539-42 pubmed..distal arm chromosome 4 heterochromatin, distinguishing these two heterochromatin types. ..
- Henikoff S. Dosage-dependent modification of position-effect variegation in Drosophila. Bioessays. 1996;18:401-9 pubmed
- McCarron M, Duttaroy A, Doughty G, Chovnick A. Drosophila P element transposase induces male recombination additively and without a requirement for P element excision or insertion. Genetics. 1994;136:1013-23 pubmed..Crossovers increased 58-fold in the immediate region of the P element target. ..
- Pindyurin A, Boldyreva L, Shloma V, Kolesnikova T, Pokholkova G, Andreyeva E, et al. Interaction between the Drosophila heterochromatin proteins SUUR and HP1. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:1693-703 pubmed publisher..Finally, HP1 binds to intercalary heterochromatin when histone methyltransferase activity of SU(VAR)3-9 is increased. We propose that interaction with HP1 is crucial for the association of SUUR with chromatin. ..
- Li Y, Kirschmann D, Wallrath L. Does heterochromatin protein 1 always follow code?. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99 Suppl 4:16462-9 pubmed..Such sequences are likely to include HP1 "target genes" whose discovery will aid in our understanding of HP1 lethality in Drosophila and metastasis of breast cancer cells. ..
- Feller C, Prestel M, Hartmann H, Straub T, Söding J, Becker P. The MOF-containing NSL complex associates globally with housekeeping genes, but activates only a defined subset. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:1509-22 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the regulatory capacity of the NSL complex is highly context-dependent. Activation by the NSL complex requires a particular promoter architecture defined by combinations of chromatin regulators and core promoter motifs. ..
- Wakimoto B. The spreading influence of heterochromatin. Trends Genet. 1997;13:349 pubmed
- Hediger F, Gasser S. Heterochromatin protein 1: don't judge the book by its cover!. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2006;16:143-50 pubmed..Not only do HP1 isoforms have specific binding sites in both heterochromatic and euchromatic domains but they might also participate in the repression and activation of transcription in both compartments. ..
- Bushey D, Locke J. Mutations in Su(var)205 and Su(var)3-7 suppress P-element-dependent silencing in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2004;168:1395-411 pubmed..Studying w(+) variegation from P[lacW]ci(Dplac) provides a model for the interactions that can enhance heterochromatic silencing at single P-element inserts. ..
- Bender W, Spierer P, Hogness D. Chromosomal walking and jumping to isolate DNA from the Ace and rosy loci and the bithorax complex in Drosophila melanogaster. J Mol Biol. 1983;168:17-33 pubmed..One breakpoint fusion fragment of this inversion was isolated to jump from 87E into the cluster of homeotic genes of the bithorax complex, at 89E1-4. ..
- Basquin D, Spierer A, Begeot F, Koryakov D, Todeschini A, Ronsseray S, et al. The Drosophila Su(var)3-7 gene is required for oogenesis and female fertility, genetically interacts with piwi and aubergine, but impacts only weakly transposon silencing. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e96802 pubmed publisher..These results lead us to propose that the interaction between Su(var)3-7 and piwi or aubergine controls important developmental processes independently of transposon silencing. ..
- Zhimulev I, Belyaeva E. Intercalary heterochromatin and genetic silencing. Bioessays. 2003;25:1040-51 pubmed..Some IH regions are known to contain homeotic genes. Summarizing these data, we suggest that IH regions comprise stable inactivated genes, whose silencing is developmentally programmed. ..
- Grewal S, Elgin S. Transcription and RNA interference in the formation of heterochromatin. Nature. 2007;447:399-406 pubmed..Silencing of chromatin might involve trans-acting sources of the crucial small RNAs that carry out RNA interference, but in some cases, transcription of the region to be silenced seems to be required--an apparent contradiction. ..
- Paro R. Imprinting a determined state into the chromatin of Drosophila. Trends Genet. 1990;6:416-21 pubmed
- Demakov S, Vatolina T, Babenko V, Semeshin V, Belyaeva E, Zhimulev I. Protein composition of interband regions in polytene and cell line chromosomes of Drosophila melanogaster. BMC Genomics. 2011;12:566 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest strikingly similar organization of interband chromatin in polytene chromosomes and in chromosomes from cell lines thereby reflecting the existence of a universal principle of interphase chromosome organization. ..
- Wakimoto B. Beyond the nucleosome: epigenetic aspects of position-effect variegation in Drosophila. Cell. 1998;93:321-4 pubmed
- Smothers J, Henikoff S. The HP1 chromo shadow domain binds a consensus peptide pentamer. Curr Biol. 2000;10:27-30 pubmed..In general, chromo domains may function by avidly binding short peptides at the surface of chromatin-associated proteins. ..
- Csink A, Linsk R, Birchler J. The Lighten up (Lip) gene of Drosophila melanogaster, a modifier of retroelement expression, position effect variegation and white locus insertion alleles. Genetics. 1994;138:153-63 pubmed..Additionally, Lip modifies the total transcript abundance of both the blood and copia retrotransposons, having an inverse effect on the steady state level of blood transcripts, while showing a non-additive effect on copia RNA. ..
- Delattre M, Spierer A, Hulo N, Spierer P. A new gene in Drosophila melanogaster, Ravus, the phantom of the modifier of position-effect variegation Su(var)3-7. Int J Dev Biol. 2002;46:167-71 pubmed..Ravus does not seem either to modify the genomic silencing of position-effect variegation, as over-expression of the transgene does not affect the variegated phenotype of a number of rearrangements tested. ..
- Demakova O, Pokholkova G, Kolesnikova T, Demakov S, Andreyeva E, Belyaeva E, et al. The SU(VAR)3-9/HP1 complex differentially regulates the compaction state and degree of underreplication of X chromosome pericentric heterochromatin in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2007;175:609-20 pubmed..So, we show that pericentric heterochromatin is heterogeneous in its requirement for SU(VAR)3-9 with respect to the establishment of the condensed state, time of replication, and DNA polytenization. ..
- Deng H, Cai W, Wang C, Lerach S, Delattre M, Girton J, et al. JIL-1 and Su(var)3-7 interact genetically and counteract each other's effect on position-effect variegation in Drosophila. Genetics. 2010;185:1183-92 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest a model where Su(var)3-7 functions as an effector downstream of Su(var)3-9 and H3K9 dimethylation in heterochromatic spreading and gene silencing that is normally counteracted by JIL-1 kinase activity. ..
- Spradling A, Karpen G. Sixty years of mystery. Genetics. 1990;126:779-84 pubmed
- Reuter G, Gausz J, Gyurkovics H, Friede B, Bang R, Spierer A, et al. Modifiers of position-effect variegation in the region from 86C to 88B of the Drosophila melanogaster third chromosome. Mol Gen Genet. 1987;210:429-36 pubmed..The positions of deficiency breakpoints delimiting the suppressor locus indicate that all the necessary sequences for its function are located within 10 kb of cloned DNA. ..
- Sass G, Henikoff S. Pairing-dependent mislocalization of a Drosophila brown gene reporter to a heterochromatic environment. Genetics. 1999;152:595-604 pubmed..We also find that an ensnared distal copy of bw that is interrupted by a heterochromatic insertion enhances silencing. This demonstrates that bw can be simultaneously acted upon by pericentric and distal blocks of heterochromatin...
- Sun F, Cuaycong M, Craig C, Wallrath L, Locke J, Elgin S. The fourth chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster: interspersed euchromatic and heterochromatic domains. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:5340-5 pubmed..The results suggest that heterochromatic and euchromatic domains are interspersed and closely associated within this 1.2-megabase region of the genome...
- Reo E, Seum C, Spierer P, Bontron S. Sumoylation of Drosophila SU(VAR)3-7 is required for its heterochromatic function. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:4254-62 pubmed publisher..Thus, these results show that the heterochromatic function of SU(VAR)3-7 depends on its own sumoylation, and unveil a role for sumoylation in Drosophila heterochromatin. ..
- Pirrotta V. Transvection and long-distance gene regulation. Bioessays. 1990;12:409-14 pubmed..These various examples of long-distance effects suggest that, in all cases, related forms of chromatin packaging may be involved. ..
- Bazin C, Dejonghe B, Higuet D. Is hobo permissivity related to I reactivity and sensitive to chromatin compaction in Drosophila melanogaster?. Genet Res. 2004;84:71-9 pubmed..Our results suggest a model of regulation in which permissivity could depend on the chromatin state and on the hobo vestigial sequences. ..
- Balasov M. Genetic factors controlling white gene expression of the transposon A(R) 4-24 at a telomere in Drosophila melanogaster. Genome. 2002;45:1025-34 pubmed..To explain the results obtained with these modifiers, it is proposed that PEV and telomeric position effect can counteract each other at this particular cytological site...
- Balasov M, Beliaeva E, Shestopal S, Makunin I, Zhimulev I. [Position effect variegation of the mosaic type, arising as a result of transposition AR4-24P[white, rosy] in the Drosophila melanogaster genome]. Genetika. 2000;36:782-91 pubmed..The genomic fragments captured by the transposon may contain DNA sequences that autonomously induce mosaic PEV of the white gene. ..
- Pardue M, Hennig W. Heterochromatin: junk or collectors item?. Chromosoma. 1990;100:3-7 pubmed
- Menon D, Meller V. Imprinting of the Y chromosome influences dosage compensation in roX1 roX2 Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2009;183:811-20 pubmed publisher..We believe that the Y chromosome is likely to act through modulation of a process that is defective in roX1 roX2 mutants: X chromosome recognition or chromatin modification by the MSL complex...
- Andreyeva E, Kolesnikova T, Demakova O, Mendez Lago M, Pokholkova G, Belyaeva E, et al. High-resolution analysis of Drosophila heterochromatin organization using SuUR Su(var)3-9 double mutants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12819-24 pubmed..This region is enriched in H3diMetK9 and H4triMetK20 but is devoid of other proteins analyzed. ..
- Abramov Y, Shatskikh A, Maksimenko O, Bonaccorsi S, Gvozdev V, Lavrov S. The Differences Between Cis- and Trans-Gene Inactivation Caused by Heterochromatin in Drosophila. Genetics. 2016;202:93-106 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that trans-inactivation is followed by de novo HP1a accumulation in the affected transgene; trans-inactivation is specifically favored by the chromatin remodeler SAYP and prevented by Argonaute AGO2. ..