Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Su(H)
Description: Suppressor of Hairless
Alias: BG:DS00929.10, CBF1, CG3497, CSL, Dmel\CG3497, FTZ-F2, RBJK_DROME, RBP-J kappa, RBP-J[[Kappa]], RBP-Jkappa, SU(H), SUH, Su(h), SuH, Su_H, anon-WO0257455.3, br7, dRBP-JK, dRBP-J[[Kappa]], dRBP-Jk, l(1)br7, l(2)35Bh, l(2)br7, l(2)k07904, oss, su(H), suppressor of hairless, CG3497-PA, CG3497-PC, Su(H)-PA, Su(H)-PC, lethal 7 in the black-reduced region, lethal group D, suppressor-of-hairless, supressor of hairless, transcription unit C
Species: fruit fly
- Nagel A, Wech I, Preiss A. Scalloped and strawberry notch are target genes of Notch signaling in the context of wing margin formation in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2001;109:241-51 pubmed..Additional regulatory input comes from the Wingless pathway. Our data support a model, whereby context specific involvement of distinct co-regulators modulates Notch target gene activation. ..
- Nagel A, Krejci A, Tenin G, Bravo Patiño A, Bray S, Maier D, et al. Hairless-mediated repression of notch target genes requires the combined activity of Groucho and CtBP corepressors. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:10433-41 pubmedNotch signal transduction centers on a conserved DNA-binding protein called Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)] in Drosophila species...
- Micchelli C, Blair S. Dorsoventral lineage restriction in wing imaginal discs requires Notch. Nature. 1999;401:473-6 pubmed..Here we show that the formation of Notch-dependent boundary cells is required for the D/V lineage restriction. ..
- Audibert A, Simon F, Gho M. Cell cycle diversity involves differential regulation of Cyclin E activity in the Drosophila bristle cell lineage. Development. 2005;132:2287-97 pubmed..Finally, we show that the fate determinant factor, Tramtrack, downregulates Cyclin E expression and is probably involved in the exit of the cells from the cell cycle. ..
- Couso J, Knust E, Martinez Arias A. Serrate and wingless cooperate to induce vestigial gene expression and wing formation in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 1995;5:1437-48 pubmed..We have identified four genes--Serrate (Ser), wingless (wg), Notch and Suppressor of Hairless (Su(H))--whose activity is required during the second and early third larval instars for the expression of ..
- Schweisguth F. Dominant-negative mutation in the beta2 and beta6 proteasome subunit genes affect alternative cell fate decisions in the Drosophila sense organ lineage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:11382-6 pubmed..These findings raise the possibility that the proteasome targets an active form of the Notch receptor for degradation in Drosophila. ..
- Langdon T, Hayward P, Brennan K, Wirtz Peitz F, Sanders P, Zecchini V, et al. Notch receptor encodes two structurally separable functions in Drosophila: a genetic analysis. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:998-1013 pubmed..inhibition is mediated by the transmembrane ligand Delta (Dl) and effected by the transcription factor Suppressor of Hairless (Su(H))...
- Hori K, Fostier M, Ito M, Fuwa T, Go M, Okano H, et al. Drosophila deltex mediates suppressor of Hairless-independent and late-endosomal activation of Notch signaling. Development. 2004;131:5527-37 pubmed
- Rusconi J, Corbin V. Evidence for a novel Notch pathway required for muscle precursor selection in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 1998;79:39-50 pubmed..results indicate that Notch acts in two pathways to determine cell fates in mesoderm: the Delta-to-Notch-to-Suppressor of Hairless-to-Enhancer of split signaling pathway previously defined, and a second pathway that acts independently.
- Song Q, Sun K, Shuai Y, Lin R, You W, Wang L, et al. Suppressor of Hairless is required for long-term memory formation in Drosophila. J Neurogenet. 2009;23:405-11 pubmed publisherb>Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)] is a DNA-binding protein of the Notch-signaling pathway, which is important for developmental processes and has been implicated in behavior plasticity...
- Lai E, Roegiers F, Qin X, Jan Y, Rubin G. The ubiquitin ligase Drosophila Mind bomb promotes Notch signaling by regulating the localization and activity of Serrate and Delta. Development. 2005;132:2319-32 pubmed..We conclude that ubiquitination of Delta and Serrate by Neuralized and D-mib is an obligate feature of DSL ligand activation throughout Drosophila development. ..
- Maier D, Marquart J, Thompson Fontaine A, Beck I, Wurmbach E, Preiss A. In vivo structure-function analysis of Drosophila Hairless. Mech Dev. 1997;67:97-106 pubmed..Therefore, Hairless protein might have additional functions apart from Su(H) binding and may antagonize Notch mediated cell-cell communication in a more complex way than currently anticipated. ..
- Klein T, Arias A. Interactions among Delta, Serrate and Fringe modulate Notch activity during Drosophila wing development. Development. 1998;125:2951-62 pubmed..Our results suggest that Notch signalling during wing development relies on careful balances between positive and dominant negative interactions between Notch ligands, some of which are mediated by Fringe. ..
- Mumm J, Kopan R. Notch signaling: from the outside in. Dev Biol. 2000;228:151-65 pubmed
- Barolo S, Castro B, Posakony J. New Drosophila transgenic reporters: insulated P-element vectors expressing fast-maturing RFP. Biotechniques. 2004;36:436-40, 442 pubmed..This advance in Drosophila reporter technology makes timed double-labeling experiments in developing transgenic animals possible for the first time. ..
- Rebeiz M, Miller S, Posakony J. Notch regulates numb: integration of conditional and autonomous cell fate specification. Development. 2011;138:215-25 pubmed publisher..intron of the numb gene was found to contain a statistically significant cluster of binding sites for Suppressor of Hairless, the transducing transcription factor for the pathway...
- Vied C, Kalderon D. Hedgehog-stimulated stem cells depend on non-canonical activity of the Notch co-activator Mastermind. Development. 2009;136:2177-86 pubmed publisher..Loss of Mam reduces the expression of a Hh pathway reporter in FSCs but not in wing discs, suggesting that Mam might enhance Hh signaling specifically in stem cells of the Drosophila ovary. ..
- de Celis J, de Celis J, Ligoxygakis P, Preiss A, Delidakis C, Bray S. Functional relationships between Notch, Su(H) and the bHLH genes of the E(spl) complex: the E(spl) genes mediate only a subset of Notch activities during imaginal development. Development. 1996;122:2719-28 pubmed..The Suppressor of Hairless protein is the intermediary between Notch activation and expression of all Enhancer of split genes even ..
- Wesley C, Mok L. Regulation of Notch signaling by a novel mechanism involving suppressor of hairless stability and carboxyl terminus-truncated notch. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:5581-93 pubmedDifferent amounts of Suppressor of Hairless (SuH)-dependent Notch (N) signaling is often used during animal development to produce two different tissues from a population of equipotent cells...
- Posakony J. Nature versus nurture: asymmetric cell divisions in Drosophila bristle development. Cell. 1994;76:415-8 pubmed
- Furriols M, Bray S. Dissecting the mechanisms of suppressor of hairless function. Dev Biol. 2000;227:520-32 pubmedb>Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)] is a DNA-binding protein that is the main intracellular transducer of the Notch signaling pathway in Drosophila...
- Artavanis Tsakonas S, Matsuno K, Fortini M. Notch signaling. Science. 1995;268:225-32 pubmed..One factor, the Drosophila Suppressor of Hairless protein, is a DNA-binding protein, which suggests that Notch signaling may involve relatively direct ..
- Ward E, Shcherbata H, Reynolds S, Fischer K, Hatfield S, Ruohola Baker H. Stem cells signal to the niche through the Notch pathway in the Drosophila ovary. Curr Biol. 2006;16:2352-8 pubmed..Demonstration that stem cells can contribute to niche function has far-reaching consequences for stem cell therapies and may provide insight into how cancer can spread throughout an organism via populations of cancer stem cells. ..
- Kirkpatrick H, Johnson K, Laughon A. Repression of dpp targets by binding of brinker to mad sites. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:18216-22 pubmed..Finally, we provide evidence that Brk is capable of functioning as an active repressor. Thus, whereas Brk and Mad compete for regulation of Ubx and vg, Brk may regulate other Dpp targets without direct involvement of Mad. ..
- Perdigoto C, Schweisguth F, Bardin A. Distinct levels of Notch activity for commitment and terminal differentiation of stem cells in the adult fly intestine. Development. 2011;138:4585-95 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests that a commitment requirement for high-level Notch activity safeguards the stem cells from loss through differentiation, revealing a novel role for the importance of Notch signaling levels in this system. ..
- Bailey A, Posakony J. Suppressor of hairless directly activates transcription of enhancer of split complex genes in response to Notch receptor activity. Genes Dev. 1995;9:2609-22 pubmed..adult peripheral neurogenesis in Drosophila: Notch (N), which encodes a transmembrane receptor protein, Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)], which encodes a DNA-binding transcription factor, and the Enhancer of split gene complex [E(spl)-..
- Matsuno K, Go M, Sun X, Eastman D, Artavanis Tsakonas S. Suppressor of Hairless-independent events in Notch signaling imply novel pathway elements. Development. 1997;124:4265-73 pubmed..in the interactions between Notch and two intracellular elements of the pathway: Deltex (Dx) and Suppressor of Hairless (Su(H))...
- Nagel A, Maier D, Preiss A. Su(H)-independent activity of hairless during mechano-sensory organ formation in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2000;94:3-12 pubmed..Thereby, Hairless and numb may have partly redundant activities. This suggests that Notch-dependent binary cell fate specifications involve different sets of mediators depending on the cell type considered. ..
- Frise E, Knoblich J, Younger Shepherd S, Jan L, Jan Y. The Drosophila Numb protein inhibits signaling of the Notch receptor during cell-cell interaction in sensory organ lineage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:11925-32 pubmed..signaling, we expressed these proteins in cultured Drosophila cells and used nuclear translocation of Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)] as a reporter for Notch activity...
- Crowner D, Le Gall M, Gates M, Giniger E. Notch steers Drosophila ISNb motor axons by regulating the Abl signaling pathway. Curr Biol. 2003;13:967-72 pubmed..We suggest that the Notch/Abl interaction promotes the turning of ISNb axons by attenuating the Abl-dependent adhesion of ISNb axons to their substratum, thus releasing the axons to respond to attraction from target muscles. ..
- Greenwald I. LIN-12/Notch signaling: lessons from worms and flies. Genes Dev. 1998;12:1751-62 pubmed
- Zacharioudaki E, Magadi S, Delidakis C. bHLH-O proteins are crucial for Drosophila neuroblast self-renewal and mediate Notch-induced overproliferation. Development. 2012;139:1258-69 pubmed publisher..Therefore, E(spl) and Dpn act together to maintain the NB in a self-renewing state, a process in which they are assisted by Notch, which sustains expression of the E(spl) subset. ..
- Lecourtois M, Schweisguth F. The neurogenic suppressor of hairless DNA-binding protein mediates the transcriptional activation of the enhancer of split complex genes triggered by Notch signaling. Genes Dev. 1995;9:2598-608 pubmed..directly from the cell surface into the nucleus by an evolutionarily conserved transcription factor, Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)], by its regulated nuclear import...
- Cooper M, Tyler D, Furriols M, Chalkiadaki A, Delidakis C, Bray S. Spatially restricted factors cooperate with notch in the regulation of Enhancer of split genes. Dev Biol. 2000;221:390-403 pubmed..Activated Notch or a Suppressor of Hairless-VP16 fusion are only sufficient to elicit transcription from the E(spl) enhancers in a subset of locations,..
- Zecchini V, Brennan K, Martinez Arias A. An activity of Notch regulates JNK signalling and affects dorsal closure in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 1999;9:460-9 pubmed..The process of lateral inhibition is implemented by the nuclear protein Suppressor of Hairless (Su(H)) and is triggered by the ligand Delta...
- Krejci A, Bray S. Notch activation stimulates transient and selective binding of Su(H)/CSL to target enhancers. Genes Dev. 2007;21:1322-7 pubmedThe CSL [CBF1/Su(H)/Lag2] proteins [Su(H) in Drosophila] are implicated in repression and activation of Notch target loci. Prevailing models imply a static association of these DNA-binding transcription factors with their target enhancers...
- Boyle M, Berg C. Control in time and space: Tramtrack69 cooperates with Notch and Ecdysone to repress ectopic fate and shape changes during Drosophila egg chamber maturation. Development. 2009;136:4187-97 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that TTK69 then cooperates with spatially restricted co-factors to define appropriate responses to a globally available (but as yet unidentified) temporal signal that initiates the S10B transformations. ..
- Tong X, Gui H, Jin F, Heck B, Lin P, Ma J, et al. Ataxin-1 and Brother of ataxin-1 are components of the Notch signalling pathway. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:428-35 pubmed publisher..to the promoter region of Hey1 and inhibit the transcriptional output of Notch through direct interactions with CBF1, a transcription factor that is crucial for the Notch pathway...
- Langevin J, Le Borgne R, Rosenfeld F, Gho M, Schweisguth F, Bellaiche Y. Lethal giant larvae controls the localization of notch-signaling regulators numb, neuralized, and Sanpodo in Drosophila sensory-organ precursor cells. Curr Biol. 2005;15:955-62 pubmed..Thus, Lgl regulates cell fate by controlling Pon cortical localization, asymmetric localization of Numb and Neuralized, and plasma-membrane localization of Sandopo. ..
- de Celis J, Bray S, Garcia Bellido A. Notch signalling regulates veinlet expression and establishes boundaries between veins and interveins in the Drosophila wing. Development. 1997;124:1919-28 pubmed
- Neumann C, Cohen S. A hierarchy of cross-regulation involving Notch, wingless, vestigial and cut organizes the dorsal/ventral axis of the Drosophila wing. Development. 1996;122:3477-85 pubmed..These results suggest that secreted Wingless protein mediates both long-range and short-range patterning activities of the dorsal/ventral boundary. ..
- Schweisguth F. Regulation of notch signaling activity. Curr Biol. 2004;14:R129-38 pubmed..Recent analyses of the cell biology of the Notch receptor have identified several fundamental mechanisms that contribute to regulate Notch signaling activity in space and time. ..
- Furukawa T, Maruyama S, Kawaichi M, Honjo T. The Drosophila homolog of the immunoglobulin recombination signal-binding protein regulates peripheral nervous system development. Cell. 1992;69:1191-7 pubmed..e., br26 and br7, which shows the dominant Suppressor of Hairless (Su(H)) phenotype in heterozygotes...
- Lieber T, Kidd S, Young M. kuzbanian-mediated cleavage of Drosophila Notch. Genes Dev. 2002;16:209-21 pubmed..Our data suggest that in Drosophila, kuzbanian can mediate S2 cleavage of Notch. ..
- Herranz H, Perez L, Martín F, Milan M. A Wingless and Notch double-repression mechanism regulates G1-S transition in the Drosophila wing. EMBO J. 2008;27:1633-45 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that Notch acts in this cellular context as a repressor of cell-cycle progression and Wg has a permissive role in alleviating Notch-mediated repression of G1-S progression in wing cells. ..
- Li Z, Zhang Y, Han L, Shi L, Lin X. Trachea-derived dpp controls adult midgut homeostasis in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2013;24:133-43 pubmed publisher..This work will provide important insights into the mechanisms of tissue homeostasis control by interorgan communication...
- Kim J, Sebring A, Esch J, Kraus M, Vorwerk K, Magee J, et al. Integration of positional signals and regulation of wing formation and identity by Drosophila vestigial gene. Nature. 1996;382:133-8 pubmed..Signal integration must be a general feature of genes like vestigial, that regulate growth or patterning along more than one axis. ..
- Hu Y, Ye Y, Fortini M. Nicastrin is required for gamma-secretase cleavage of the Drosophila Notch receptor. Dev Cell. 2002;2:69-78 pubmed..Nicastrin might recruit gamma-secretase substrates into the proteolytic complex as a prerequisite for Presenilin maturation and active complex assembly. ..
- Price J, Savenye E, Lum D, Breitkreutz A. Dominant enhancers of Egfr in Drosophila melanogaster: genetic links between the Notch and Egfr signaling pathways. Genetics. 1997;147:1139-53 pubmed..Our findings suggest that these E(Egfr)s represent links between the Egfr and Notch signaling pathways, and that Egfr activity can either promote or suppress Notch signaling, depending on its developmental context. ..
- Furriols M, Bray S. A model Notch response element detects Suppressor of Hairless-dependent molecular switch. Curr Biol. 2001;11:60-4 pubmed..Currently, the only known transduction pathway involves a DNA binding protein, Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)] in Drosophila and CBF1 in mammals, and results in the direct activation of target genes...
- Bhaskar V, Valentine S, Courey A. A functional interaction between dorsal and components of the Smt3 conjugation machinery. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:4033-40 pubmed..The effect of DmUbc9 on Dorsal activity was potentiated by the overexpression of DmSmt3. We have also identified a DmSmt3-activating enzyme, DmSAE1/DmSAE2 and found that it further potentiates Dorsal-mediated activation. ..
- Eastman D, Slee R, Skoufos E, Bangalore L, Bray S, Delidakis C. Synergy between suppressor of Hairless and Notch in regulation of Enhancer of split m gamma and m delta expression. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:5620-8 pubmed..the 5' regulatory regions of these two genes led to the identification of a number of target sites for the Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)] protein, a transcription factor activated by Notch signaling...
- Klein T, Arias A. The vestigial gene product provides a molecular context for the interpretation of signals during the development of the wing in Drosophila. Development. 1999;126:913-25 pubmed..enhancers receive regulatory inputs from three signalling pathways: wingless, decapentaplegic and Notch/Suppressor of Hairless. Our experiments show that the vestigial gene product is also an input in the regulation of vestigial ..
- Baonza A, Freeman M. Control of cell proliferation in the Drosophila eye by Notch signaling. Dev Cell. 2005;8:529-39 pubmed..Delta to Notch signaling derepresses the inhibition of dE2F1 by RBF, and Delta expression depends on the secreted proteins Hedgehog and Dpp. Notch is also required for the expression of Cyclin A in the SMW. ..
- Ahimou F, Mok L, Bardot B, Wesley C. The adhesion force of Notch with Delta and the rate of Notch signaling. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:1217-29 pubmed..Reduced turnover or Delta pulling accelerate this loss. These data suggest that strong adhesion between Notch and Delta might serve as a booster for initiating Notch signaling at a high rate. ..
- Kidd S, Lieber T. Furin cleavage is not a requirement for Drosophila Notch function. Mech Dev. 2002;115:41-51 pubmed..We further show that the behaviour of fly and mouse N can be interchanged simply by swapping the regions in which the mammalian furin-like cleavage site is located. ..
- Schweisguth F, Posakony J. Antagonistic activities of Suppressor of Hairless and Hairless control alternative cell fates in the Drosophila adult epidermis. Development. 1994;120:1433-41 pubmed..We show here that the activity of Suppressor of Hairless is required for both the sensory organ precursor (SOP) versus epidermal cell fate decision, and for the ..
- Wang S, Younger Shepherd S, Jan L, Jan Y. Only a subset of the binary cell fate decisions mediated by Numb/Notch signaling in Drosophila sensory organ lineage requires Suppressor of Hairless. Development. 1997;124:4435-46 pubmed..Interestingly, we found that in the hair/socket cell lineage but not the neuron/sheath cell lineage, a Suppressor of Hairless mutation acts as a dominant suppressor of numb mutations whereas Hairless mutations act as enhancers of ..
- Koelzer S, Klein T. Regulation of expression of Vg and establishment of the dorsoventral compartment boundary in the wing imaginal disc by Suppressor of Hairless. Dev Biol. 2006;289:77-90 pubmedThe transcription factor Suppressor of Hairless (Su(H)) belongs to the CSL transcription factor family, which are the main transcriptional effectors of the Notch-signaling pathway...
- Fichelson P, Gho M. The glial cell undergoes apoptosis in the microchaete lineage of Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:123-33 pubmed..Finally, we present evidences showing that glial cells are committed to apoptosis independently of gcm and prospero expression. We suggest that apoptosis is triggered by a cell autonomous mechanism...
- Fortini M, Artavanis Tsakonas S. The suppressor of hairless protein participates in notch receptor signaling. Cell. 1994;79:273-82 pubmed..attenuate Notch signaling in the developing Drosophila eye, we isolated rare, gain-of-function alleles of Suppressor of Hairless (Su(H)), the fly homolog of the mammalian C promoter-binding factor 1 (CBF1) gene...
- Artavanis Tsakonas S, Rand M, Lake R. Notch signaling: cell fate control and signal integration in development. Science. 1999;284:770-6 pubmed..Notch activity affects the implementation of differentiation, proliferation, and apoptotic programs, providing a general developmental tool to influence organ formation and morphogenesis. ..
- Schweisguth F, Gho M, Lecourtois M. Control of cell fate choices by lateral signaling in the adult peripheral nervous system of Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Genet. 1996;18:28-39 pubmed..We also show that Notch, Hairless, and Suppressor of Hairless, three components of this intercellular signaling pathway, exhibit dose-dependent genetic interactions...
- Kidd S, Lieber T, Young M. Ligand-induced cleavage and regulation of nuclear entry of Notch in Drosophila melanogaster embryos. Genes Dev. 1998;12:3728-40 pubmed..b>Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)] is predominantly associated with soluble intracellular N...
- Sun J, Deng W. Hindsight mediates the role of notch in suppressing hedgehog signaling and cell proliferation. Dev Cell. 2007;12:431-42 pubmed..Our studies suggest that Hindsight bridges the two antagonistic pathways, Notch and Hedgehog, in the temporal regulation of follicle-cell proliferation and differentiation. ..
- Gho M, Schweisguth F. Frizzled signalling controls orientation of asymmetric sense organ precursor cell divisions in Drosophila. Nature. 1998;393:178-81 pubmed..This difference in cell-division orientation is largely independent of the identity of the secondary precursor cells, and is regulated by Frizzled-independent mechanisms. ..
- Maier D, Nagel A, Johannes B, Preiss A. Subcellular localization of Hairless protein shows a major focus of activity within the nucleus. Mech Dev. 1999;89:195-9 pubmed..1992), associates with Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)], thereby inhibiting trans-activation of Notch target genes (Brou et al., 1994)...
- San Juán B, Baonza A. The bHLH factor deadpan is a direct target of Notch signaling and regulates neuroblast self-renewal in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2011;352:70-82 pubmed publisher..We show that in addition to dpn, Notch signaling must be regulating other genes during this process that act redundantly with dpn. ..
- Sun J, Deng W. Notch-dependent downregulation of the homeodomain gene cut is required for the mitotic cycle/endocycle switch and cell differentiation in Drosophila follicle cells. Development. 2005;132:4299-308 pubmed..Our data suggest that Cut functions in regulating both cell differentiation and the cell cycle, and that downregulation of Cut by Notch contributes to the mitotic cycle/endocycle switch and cell differentiation in follicle cells. ..
- Miller S, Avidor Reiss T, Polyanovsky A, Posakony J. Complex interplay of three transcription factors in controlling the tormogen differentiation program of Drosophila mechanoreceptors. Dev Biol. 2009;329:386-99 pubmed publisher..We show that Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)] and the POU-domain factor Ventral veins lacking (Vvl) bind conserved sites in this enhancer and ..
- Klein T, Brennan K, Arias A. An intrinsic dominant negative activity of serrate that is modulated during wing development in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1997;189:123-34 pubmed..effect over Notch, the activation is similar to that elicited by Delta and requires the product of the Suppressor of Hairless gene...
- Ward E, Zhou X, Riddiford L, Berg C, Ruohola Baker H. Border of Notch activity establishes a boundary between the two dorsal appendage tube cell types. Dev Biol. 2006;297:461-70 pubmed..Generating a boundary by the Notch pathway might constitute an evolutionarily conserved first step during organ formation in many tissues. ..
- Barolo S, Walker R, Polyanovsky A, Freschi G, Keil T, Posakony J. A notch-independent activity of suppressor of hairless is required for normal mechanoreceptor physiology. Cell. 2000;103:957-69 pubmedb>Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)]/Lag-1/RBP-Jkappa/CBF1 is the only known transducing transcription factor for Notch receptor signaling...
- Gho M, Lecourtois M, Geraud G, Posakony J, Schweisguth F. Subcellular localization of Suppressor of Hairless in Drosophila sense organ cells during Notch signalling. Development. 1996;122:1673-82 pubmedDuring imaginal development of Drosophila, Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)], an evolutionarily conserved transcription factor that mediates intracellular signalling by the Notch (N) receptor, controls successive alternative cell fate ..
- Koelzer S, Klein T. A Notch-independent function of Suppressor of Hairless during the development of the bristle sensory organ precursor cell of Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:1973-88 pubmedSu(H)/CBF1 is a key component of the evolutionary conserved Notch signalling pathway. It is a transcription factor that acts as a repressor in the absence of the Notch signal...
- Morel V, Lecourtois M, Massiani O, Maier D, Preiss A, Schweisguth F. Transcriptional repression by suppressor of hairless involves the binding of a hairless-dCtBP complex in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2001;11:789-92 pubmed..NICD associates with Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)], a DNA binding protein, and Mastermind (Mam), a transcriptional coactivator [7-9]...
- Knoblich J. Mechanisms of asymmetric cell division during animal development. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1997;9:833-41 pubmed..The identification of Numb homologs in other species has suggested that this machinery might be conserved from Drosophila to vertebrates. ..
- Kurata S, Go M, Artavanis Tsakonas S, Gehring W. Notch signaling and the determination of appendage identity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:2117-22 pubmed..Therefore, Notch is involved in a common regulatory pathway for the determination of the various Drosophila appendages. ..
- Dobens L, Jaeger A, Peterson J, Raftery L. Bunched sets a boundary for Notch signaling to pattern anterior eggshell structures during Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2005;287:425-37 pubmed
- Nellesen D, Lai E, Posakony J. Discrete enhancer elements mediate selective responsiveness of enhancer of split complex genes to common transcriptional activators. Dev Biol. 1999;213:33-53 pubmed..previously to be direct targets of transcriptional activation both by the N-signal-dependent activator Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)] and by the proneural bHLH proteins achaete and scute...
- Pi H, Wu H, Chien C. A dual function of phyllopod in Drosophila external sensory organ development: cell fate specification of sensory organ precursor and its progeny. Development. 2001;128:2699-710 pubmed..Thus, these analyses demonstrate that phyl acts downstream of N signaling in controlling cell fates in es organ development. ..
- Remaud S, Audibert A, Gho M. S-phase favours notch cell responsiveness in the Drosophila bristle lineage. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3646 pubmed publisher..We suggest that high-order chromatin structures associated with the S-phase create favourable conditions that increase the efficiency of the transcriptional machinery with respect to N-target genes. ..
- Shcherbata H, Althauser C, Findley S, Ruohola Baker H. The mitotic-to-endocycle switch in Drosophila follicle cells is executed by Notch-dependent regulation of G1/S, G2/M and M/G1 cell-cycle transitions. Development. 2004;131:3169-81 pubmed..This study provides a comprehensive picture of the logic that external signaling pathways may use to control cell cycle transitions by the coordinated regulation of the cell cycle. ..
- de Celis J, Garcia Bellido A, Bray S. Activation and function of Notch at the dorsal-ventral boundary of the wing imaginal disc. Development. 1996;122:359-69 pubmed..other genes identified by their involvement in Notch signaling during neurogenesis, such as Delta and Suppressor of Hairless, also participate in Notch function at the dorsoventral boundary...
- Lopez Schier H, St Johnston D. Drosophila nicastrin is essential for the intramembranous cleavage of notch. Dev Cell. 2002;2:79-89 pubmed..nicastrin and presenilin mutations also disrupt the spectrin cytoskeleton, suggesting that the gamma-secretase complex has another function in Drosophila in addition to its role in processing Notch and APP. ..
- Brou C, Logeat F, Lecourtois M, Vandekerckhove J, Kourilsky P, Schweisguth F, et al. Inhibition of the DNA-binding activity of Drosophila suppressor of hairless and of its human homolog, KBF2/RBP-J kappa, by direct protein-protein interaction with Drosophila hairless. Genes Dev. 1994;8:2491-503 pubmed..cDNA, which is derived from the previously described RBP-J kappa gene, the human homolog of the Drosophila Suppressor of Hairless [Su(H)] gene...
- Brennan K, Tateson R, Lieber T, Couso J, Zecchini V, Arias A. The abruptex mutations of notch disrupt the establishment of proneural clusters in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1999;216:230-42 pubmed..This function of Notch requires the product of the Suppressor of Hairless gene...