Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: su(f)
Description: suppressor of forked
Alias: 3-DES, 3DES, CG17170, CstF-77, CstF77, Cstf77, Dmel\CG17170, EC235, R-9-18, R9-18, SU-f, Su(f), l(1)20Eb, l(1)3DES, l(1)EC235, l(1)G0393, l(1)R-9-18, l(1)X1, l(1)X3, l(1)su(f), l3DES, su-f, su[+]-f, suppressor of forked, CG17170-PE, CG17170-PF, CG17170-PG, lethal3Des, section 19, section 28, section 29, su(f)-PE, su(f)-PF, su(f)-PG
Species: fruit fly
- Fitch C, Girton L, Girton J. The suppressor of forked locus in Drosophila melanogaster: genetic and molecular analyses. Genetica. 1992;85:185-203 pubmedThe suppressor of forked, su(f) locus is one of a class of loci in Drosophila whose mutant alleles are trans-acting allele-specific modifiers of transposable element-insertion mutations at other loci...
- Girton J, Russell M. An analysis of compartmentalization in pattern duplications induced by a cell-lethal mutation in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1981;85:55-64 pubmed
- Fay J, Wu C. Hitchhiking under positive Darwinian selection. Genetics. 2000;155:1405-13 pubmed..Application of the H test to published surveys of Drosophila variation reveals an excess of high frequency variants that are likely to have been influenced by positive selection...
- Koryakov D, Alekseyenko A, Zhimulev I. Dynamic organization of the beta-heterochromatin in the Drosophila melanogaster polytene X chromosome. Mol Gen Genet. 1999;260:503-9 pubmed..The right arm of the X chromosome in SG chromosomes was localized in the inversion In(ILR)pn2b: the telomeric HeT-A DNA and AAGAG satellite from the right arm are polytenized, having been relocated from heterochromatin to euchromatin. ..
- Simonelig M, Elliott K, Mitchelson A, O Hare K. Interallelic complementation at the suppressor of forked locus of Drosophila reveals complementation between suppressor of forked proteins mutated in different regions. Genetics. 1996;142:1225-35 pubmed..Our results suggest protein-protein interaction between or within wild-type Su(f) molecules. ..
- Farkas R, Danis P, Medved ová L, Mechler B, Knopp J. Regulation of cytosolic malate dehydrogenase by juvenile hormone in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell Biochem Biophys. 2002;37:37-52 pubmed
- Wiehe T, Stephan W. Analysis of a genetic hitchhiking model, and its application to DNA polymorphism data from Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Biol Evol. 1993;10:842-54 pubmed..3 x 10(-8). Additional data are needed to estimate this parameter more precisely. The estimation of alpha v is important, as this parameter determines the shape of the frequency distribution of strongly selected substitutions. ..
- Chovnick A, Finnertty V, Schalet A, Duck P. Studies on genetic organization in higher organisms. I. Analysis of a complex gene in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1969;62:145-60 pubmed
- Blattes R, Monod C, Susbielle G, Cuvier O, Wu J, Hsieh T, et al. Displacement of D1, HP1 and topoisomerase II from satellite heterochromatin by a specific polyamide. EMBO J. 2006;25:2397-408 pubmed..We propose that this effect is due to displacement of the heterochromatin proteins D1, HP1 and topoisomerase II from SAT III, hence resulting in stochastic chromatin opening and desilencing of the nearby white gene. ..
- Driver A, Lacey S, Cullingford T, Mitchelson A, O Hare K. Structural analysis of Doc transposable elements associated with mutations at the white and suppressor of forked loci of Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1989;220:49-52 pubmed..In a lethal allele of suppressor of forked, su(f)S2, the element is inserted within the transcription unit in the protein coding region...
- Benoit B, Juge F, Iral F, Audibert A, Simonelig M. Chimeric human CstF-77/Drosophila Suppressor of forked proteins rescue suppressor of forked mutant lethality and mRNA 3' end processing in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:10593-8 pubmedThe Suppressor of forked [Su(f)] protein is the Drosophila homologue of CstF-77, a subunit of human cleavage stimulation factor (CstF) that is required for the first step of the mRNA 3' end processing reaction in vitro...
- Perrimon N, Smouse D, Miklos G. Developmental genetics of loci at the base of the X chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1989;121:313-31 pubmed..interval of the base of the X chromosome, a region of 34 polytene bands delimited by the maroon-like and suppressor of forked loci...
- Kurkulos M, Weinberg J, Pepling M, Mount S. Polyadenylylation in copia requires unusually distant upstream sequences. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:3038-42 pubmed..This requirement of distant upstream sequences for copia polyadenylylation has implications for the expression of many genetic elements bearing long terminal repeats. ..
- Rahman R, Lindsley D. Male-sterilizing interactions between duplications and deficiencies for proximal X-chromosome material in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1981;99:49-64 pubmed..We conclude that there is no single factor at the base of the X that is required for the fertility of males whose genotype is otherwise normal. ..
- Bashaw G, Baker B. The msl-2 dosage compensation gene of Drosophila encodes a putative DNA-binding protein whose expression is sex specifically regulated by Sex-lethal. Development. 1995;121:3245-58 pubmed..MSL-2 protein is not produced in females and sequences in both the 5' and 3' UTRs are important for this sex-specific regulation. Furthermore, msl-2 pre-mRNA is alternatively spliced in a Sex-lethal-dependent fashion in its 5' UTR. ..
- Hawley R, Irick H, Zitron A, Haddox D, Lohe A, New C, et al. There are two mechanisms of achiasmate segregation in Drosophila females, one of which requires heterochromatic homology. Dev Genet. 1992;13:440-67 pubmed..elegans males. We also suggest that the physical basis of this process may reflect known properties of the Drosophila meiotic spindle...
- Audibert A, Juge F, Simonelig M. The suppressor of forked protein of Drosophila, a homologue of the human 77K protein required for mRNA 3'-end formation, accumulates in mitotically-active cells. Mech Dev. 1998;72:53-63 pubmedThe suppressor of forked (Su(f)) protein of Drosophila melanogaster is highly homologous to two proteins involved in mRNA 3'-end formation, the yeast RNA14 protein and the 77K subunit of human cleavage stimulation factor (CstF)...
- Rutledge B, Mortin M, Schwarz E, Thierry Mieg D, Meselson M. Genetic interactions of modifier genes and modifiable alleles in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1988;119:391-7 pubmed..Implications of these results for models of modifier gene action are discussed. ..
- Birchler J, Hiebert J. Interaction of the Enhancer of white-apricot with transposable element alleles at the white locus in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1989;122:129-38 pubmed..Total copia RNA was also examined on Northern analyses from the segregating population but no quantitative change in the major copia RNA was produced by E(wa) homozygotes compared to normal. ..
- Cook K, Karpen G. A rosy future for heterochromatin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:5219-21 pubmed..These efforts will be facilitated by the effective use of P elements combined with other current molecular-genetic approaches. ..
- Parkhurst S, Corces V. Mutations at the suppressor of forked locus increase the accumulation of gypsy-encoded transcripts in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Cell Biol. 1986;6:2271-4 pubmedWe studied the effect of mutations at the suppressor of forked [su(f)] locus in Drosophila melanogaster on the accumulation of transcripts encoded by the gypsy transposable element...
- Langley C, MacDonald J, Miyashita N, Aguade M. Lack of correlation between interspecific divergence and intraspecific polymorphism at the suppressor of forked region in Drosophila melanogaster and Drosophila simulans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:1800-3 pubmedLevels of DNA sequence polymorphism at the suppressor of forked [su(f)] region in natural populations of Drosophila melanogaster and Drosophila simulans are estimated by restriction map analysis...
- Lifschytz E, Falk R. Fine structure analysis of a chromosome segment in Drosophila melanogaster: analysis of ethyl methanesulphonate-induced lethals. Mutat Res. 1969;8:147-55 pubmed
- Mitchelson A, Simonelig M, Williams C, O Hare K. Homology with Saccharomyces cerevisiae RNA14 suggests that phenotypic suppression in Drosophila melanogaster by suppressor of forked occurs at the level of RNA stability. Genes Dev. 1993;7:241-9 pubmedThe suppressor of forked [su(f)] locus of Drosophila melanogaster encodes at least one cell-autonomous vital function. Mutations at su(f) can affect the expression of unlinked genes where retroviral-like transposable elements are inserted...
- Wilson T. Studies on the female-sterile phenotype of 1(1)su(f)ts76a, a temperature-sensitive allele of the suppressor of forked mutation in Drosophila melanogaster. J Embryol Exp Morphol. 1980;55:247-56 pubmedA new allele of the suppressor of forked [su(f)] mutation in Drosophila melanogaster has been found and designated 1(1)su(f)ts76a...
- Tudor M, Mitchelson A, O Hare K. A 1.5 kb repeat sequence flanks the suppressor of forked gene at the euchromatin-heterochromatin boundary of the Drosophila melanogaster X chromosome. Genet Res. 1996;68:191-202 pubmedA 1.5 kilobasepair repeated DNA sequence is duplicated in direct orientation so as to flank the suppressor of forked gene in the euchromatin-heterochromatin transition region on the X chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster...
- Segarra C, Aguad M. Molecular organization of the X chromosome in different species of the obscura group of Drosophila. Genetics. 1992;130:513-21 pubmed..melanogaster (Pgd, zeste, white, cut, vermilion, RNA polymerase II 215, forked and suppressor of forked) and the ninth region (lambda DsubF6) has not yet been characterized. In all six species, as in D...
- Dickinson W, Thatcher J. Morphogenesis of denticles and hairs in Drosophila embryos: involvement of actin-associated proteins that also affect adult structures. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 1997;38:9-21 pubmed..We suggest that interactions between these and other actin-associated proteins are important in generating the diverse shapes of the cuticular specializations seen in both larvae and adults. ..
- Lifschytz E, Falk R. Fine structure analysis of a chromosome segment in Drosophila melanogaster. Analysis of x-ray-induced lethals. Mutat Res. 1968;6:235-44 pubmed
- Dudick M, Wright T, Brothers L. The developmental genetics of the temperature sensitive lethal allele of the suppressor of forked, 1(1)su(f)ts67g, in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1974;76:487-510 pubmedA temperature-sensitive lethal allele of suppressor of forked, l(1)su(f)(ts67g) (ts67), has been discovered and characterized as follows: Flies which are hemizygous for ts67 live at 18 degrees and 25 degrees but die at 30 degrees ..
- O Hare K, Chadwick B, Constantinou A, Davis A, Mitchelson A, Tudor M. A 5.9-kb tandem repeat at the euchromatin-heterochromatin boundary of the X chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Genet Genomics. 2002;267:647-55 pubmed..of the presence of repeated sequences, and we have used cosmids to walk from the last euchromatic gene, suppressor of forked, towards the pericentric heterochromatin...
- Strand D, McDonald J. Insertion of a copia element 5' to the Drosophila melanogaster alcohol dehydrogenase gene (adh) is associated with altered developmental and tissue-specific patterns of expression. Genetics. 1989;121:787-94 pubmed..These suppressor genes have no effect on adh expression in wild-type Drosophila. ..
- Gawande B, Robida M, Rahn A, Singh R. Drosophila Sex-lethal protein mediates polyadenylation switching in the female germline. EMBO J. 2006;25:1263-72 pubmed..The sex-specific poly(A) switching of e(r) provides a means for translational regulation in germ cells. We present a model for the SXL-dependent poly(A) site choice in the female germline. ..
- Sinclair D, Suzuki D, Grigliatti T. Genetic and developmental analysis of a temperature-sensitive minute mutation of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1981;97:581-606 pubmed
- Gergen J, Wieschaus E. Dosage requirements for runt in the segmentation of Drosophila embryos. Cell. 1986;45:289-99 pubmed..Significantly, increased runt+ dosage causes an anti-runt phenotype consisting of periodic pattern deletions that are out of phase with those caused by runt mutations. ..
- Mount S, Green M, Rubin G. Partial revertants of the transposable element-associated suppressible allele white-apricot in Drosophila melanogaster: structures and responsiveness to genetic modifiers. Genetics. 1988;118:221-34 pubmed
- Bentley D. RNA processing. A tale of two tails. Nature. 1998;395:21-2 pubmed
- Lee G. The phenogenetics of a super-suppressor in Drosophila melanogaster. IV. Sub-phenotype interactions. Aust J Biol Sci. 1974;27:305-7 pubmed
- Segarra C, Lozovskaya E, Ribo G, Aguade M, Hartl D. P1 clones from Drosophila melanogaster as markers to study the chromosomal evolution of Muller's A element in two species of the obscura group of Drosophila. Chromosoma. 1995;104:129-36 pubmed..Tentatively, one inversion breakpoint about every 200 kb has been produced and fixed during the divergence of D. pseudoobscura and D. melanogaster. ..
- von Sternberg R, Novick G, Gao G, Herrera R. Genome canalization: the coevolution of transposable and interspersed repetitive elements with single copy DNA. Genetica. 1992;86:215-46 pubmed..Also proposed are empirical studies which would support or invalidate aspects of this hypothesis. ..
- Begun D, Aquadro C. African and North American populations of Drosophila melanogaster are very different at the DNA level. Nature. 1993;365:548-50 pubmed..It appears that there is an unappreciated degree of population structure in D. melanogaster and that equilibrium models of molecular evolution are inappropriate for this species. ..
- Charlesworth B, Charlesworth D. How was the Sdic gene fixed?. Nature. 1999;400:519-20 pubmed
- Moshkin Y, Belyakin S, Rubtsov N, Kokoza E, Alekseyenko A, Volkova E, et al. Microdissection and sequence analysis of pericentric heterochromatin from the Drosophila melanogastermutant Suppressor of Underreplication. Chromosoma. 2002;111:114-25 pubmed..transition zones are enriched in repetitive DNA sequences homologous to those flanking the suppressor of forked gene [ su(f) repeat]...
- Whittinghill M. The Induction of OOgonial Crossing over in Drosophila Melanogaster. Genetics. 1938;23:300-6 pubmed
- Durica D, Krider H. Studies on the Ribosomal RNA Cistrons in Interspecific Drosophila Hybrids. II. Heterochromatic Regions Mediating Nucleolar Dominance. Genetics. 1978;89:37-64 pubmed..melanogaster X and distal to the NO on the D. melanogaster Y, affects the induction of this interchromosomal phenomenon. ..
- Kolesnikova T, Koriakov D, Semeshin V, Beliaeva E, Zhimulev I. [Interline differences in morphology of the precentromeric region of polytene X-chromosome in Drosophila melanogaster salivary glands]. Genetika. 2001;37:1632-41 pubmed..Hence, the bands of polytene chromosome section 20 are virtually devoid of mitotic heterochromatin. ..
- Hilliker A, Appels R. Pleiotropic effects associated with the deletion of heterochromatin surrounding rDNA on the X chromosome of Drosophila. Chromosoma. 1982;86:469-90 pubmed..1960). The pleiotropic effects of deleting specific regions of Xh is discussed in relation to the possible influence of heterochromatin on the organisation of the functional interphase nucleus. ..
- Clark W, Russell M. The correlation of lysosomal activity and adult phenotype in a cell-lethal mutant of Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1977;57:160-73 pubmed
- Salinas C, Sinclair D, O Hare K, Brock H. Characterization of a Drosophila homologue of the 160-kDa subunit of the cleavage and polyadenylation specificity factor CPSF. Mol Gen Genet. 1998;257:672-80 pubmed..Mutations in the cpsf gene did not alter the phenotype of homozygous su(f) mutations, suggesting that, for most genes, processing of 3' termini is not sensitive to small changes in cpsf and su(f) dosage. ..
- Girton J. Pattern triplications produced by a cell-lethal mutation in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1981;84:164-72 pubmed
- Schalet A, Lefevre G. The localization of "ordinary" sex-linked genes in section 20 of the polytene X chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster. Chromosoma. 1973;44:183-202 pubmed
- Miklos G, Kelly L, Coombe P, Leeds C, Lefevre G. Localization of the genes shaking-B, small optic lobes, sluggish-A, stoned and stress-sensitive-C to a well-defined region on the X-chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurogenet. 1987;4:1-19 pubmed
- Duus K, Welshons W, Girton J. Blackpatch, a neural degeneration mutation that interacts with the Notch locus in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1992;151:34-47 pubmed..We conclude that the Notch and Bpt genes have important functions during the interaction between the retina and the optic lobe of the brain. ..
- Sawamura K, Watanabe T, Yamamoto M. Hybrid lethal systems in the Drosophila melanogaster species complex. Genetica. 1993;88:175-85 pubmed
- Osheim Y, Sikes M, Beyer A. EM visualization of Pol II genes in Drosophila: most genes terminate without prior 3' end cleavage of nascent transcripts. Chromosoma. 2002;111:1-12 pubmed
- O Hare K. mRNA 3' ends in focus. Trends Genet. 1995;11:255-7 pubmed
- Hatton L, Eloranta J, Figueiredo L, Takagaki Y, Manley J, O Hare K. The Drosophila homologue of the 64 kDa subunit of cleavage stimulation factor interacts with the 77 kDa subunit encoded by the suppressor of forked gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 2000;28:520-6 pubmed..It interacts with CstF-77, which in turn interacts with CPSF. The Drosophila suppressor of forked gene encodes a homologue of CstF-77, and mutations in it affect mRNA 3' end formation in vivo...
- Begun D, Aquadro C. Evolution at the tip and base of the X chromosome in an African population of Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Biol Evol. 1995;12:382-90 pubmed..melanogaster at three loci, yellow, achaete, and suppressor of forked, located in regions of reduced crossing-over...
- Miklos G, Cotsell J. Chromosome structure at interfaces between major chromatin types: alpha- and beta-heterochromatin. Bioessays. 1990;12:1-6 pubmed..The recent microcloning of part of this region, the isolation of a monoclonal antibody to a beta-heterochromatin binding protein, and new in situ studies now shed a little more light on this chromosomal region. ..
- Russell M, Ostafichuk L, Scanga S. Lethal P-lacZ insertion lines expressed during pattern respecification in the imaginal discs of Drosophila. Genome. 1998;41:7-13 pubmed..One is an allele of schnurri, a gene that encodes a component of the decapentaplegic (dpp) signal transduction pathway used for positional signalling in the embryo and in imaginal discs. ..
- Hoheisel J, Lennon G, Zehetner G, Lehrach H. Use of high coverage reference libraries of Drosophila melanogaster for relational data analysis. A step towards mapping and sequencing of the genome. J Mol Biol. 1991;220:903-14 pubmed..cDNA clones are further examined by a partial sequencing analysis by oligomer hybridization. ..
- Bhadra U, Pal Bhadra M, Birchler J. A trans-acting modifier causing extensive overexpression of genes in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1997;254:621-34 pubmed..Regulatory genes such as Ufo may contribute to the wide fluctuations in gene expression between tissues and stages of development...
- Edwalds Gilbert G, Veraldi K, Milcarek C. Alternative poly(A) site selection in complex transcription units: means to an end?. Nucleic Acids Res. 1997;25:2547-61 pubmed
- Dorsett D, Viglianti G, Rutledge B, Meselson M. Alteration of hsp82 gene expression by the gypsy transposon and suppressor genes in Drosophila melanogaster. Genes Dev. 1989;3:454-68 pubmed
- Park H, Yamamoto M. The centric region of the X chromosome rDNA functions in male meiotic pairing in Drosophila melanogaster. Chromosoma. 1995;103:700-7 pubmed..4 times that of the fourth chromosome, includes a meiotic pairing site in the male. We discuss the cytological location of the pairing site and the possible role of rDNA in meiotic pairing. ..
- Girton J, Russell M. A clonal analysis of pattern duplication in a temperature-sensitive cell-lethal mutant of Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol. 1980;77:1-21 pubmed
- Farkas R, Knopp J. Genetic and hormonal control of cytosolic malate dehydrogenase activity in Drosophila melanogaster. Gen Physiol Biophys. 1998;17:37-50 pubmed..These data will serve as a basis for further molecular characterization of the Drosophila MDH gene and its regulation. ..
- Lifschytz E, Yakobovitz N. The role of X-linked lethal and viable male-sterile mutations in male gametogenesis of Drosophila melanogaster: genetic analysis. Mol Gen Genet. 1978;161:275-84 pubmed..It is further shown that about the same proportion of vital genes is operating in female gonads and that the two groups overlap by about 70%. The role of viable and lethal male gametogenesis is discussed in detail. ..
- Brook W, Ostafichuk L, Piorecky J, Wilkinson M, Hodgetts D, Russell M. Gene expression during imaginal disc regeneration detected using enhancer-sensitive P-elements. Development. 1993;117:1287-97 pubmed..Some of the expression patterns observed in cultured disc fragments provide evidence for cell communication in the regeneration blastema. ..
- Koehler K, Boulton C, Collins H, French R, Herman K, Lacefield S, et al. Spontaneous X chromosome MI and MII nondisjunction events in Drosophila melanogaster oocytes have different recombinational histories. Nat Genet. 1996;14:406-14 pubmed..MII nondisjunction occurred only in oocytes with proximal exchanges. We propose several models to explain how very proximal exchanges might impair proper segregation...
- Pelisson A, Song S, Prud homme N, Smith P, Bucheton A, Corces V. Gypsy transposition correlates with the production of a retroviral envelope-like protein under the tissue-specific control of the Drosophila flamenco gene. EMBO J. 1994;13:4401-11 pubmed..We propose a model suggesting that gypsy germinal transposition might occur only in individuals that have maternally inherited enveloped gypsy particles due to infection of the maternal germline by the soma. ..
- Hansson L, Lambertsson A. Steroid regulation of glue protein genes in Drosophila melanogaster. Hereditas. 1989;110:61-7 pubmed..This hormone-induced disappearance is, in contrast to the 68C transcripts, not inhibited by cycloheximide. ..
- Miklos G, de Couet H. The mutations previously designated as flightless-I3, flightless-O2 and standby are members of the W-2 lethal complementation group at the base of the X-chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurogenet. 1990;6:133-51 pubmed..These viable flightless mutations are all hypomorphs since the homozygous deficiency of the W-2 X-chromosomal region is lethal to the organism. ..
- Preker P, Keller W. The HAT helix, a repetitive motif implicated in RNA processing. Trends Biochem Sci. 1998;23:15-6 pubmed
- Vogel E. Tests for recombinagens in somatic cells of Drosophila. Mutat Res. 1992;284:159-75 pubmed
- Tiong S, Girton J, Hayes P, Russell M. Effect of regeneration on compartment specificity of the bithorax mutant of Drosophila melanogaster. Nature. 1977;268:435-6 pubmed
- Lambertsson A. The ribosomal proteins of Drosophila melanogaster. V. Analysis by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis of the ribosomal proteins of the temperature-sensitive lethal allele of suppressor of forked, l(1) su(f)ts67g: a putative ribosomal protein mutant. Mol Gen Genet. 1975;139:145-56 pubmedThe possibility that the ribosomes of a temperature-sensitive lethal allele of suppressor of forked, l(1)su(f)ts67g, contain a mutated protein was studied by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis...