Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ssrp
Description: Structure specific recognition protein
Alias: CG4817, Cf5, Dmel\CG4817, DssRP, SSRP, SSRP1, dSSRP, dSSRP1, dSsrp, ssrp, structure specific recognition protein, CG4817-PA, Ssrp-PA, chorion factor, structure-specific recognition protein
Species: fruit fly
- Levine M, Begun D. Evidence of spatially varying selection acting on four chromatin-remodeling loci in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2008;179:475-85 pubmed publisher..Here we describe sequence variation at seven such chromatin-remodeling loci, four of which (chd1, ssrp, chm, and glu) exhibit strong differentiation between tropical and temperate populations...
- Hsu T, King D, LaBonne C, Kafatos F. A Drosophila single-strand DNA/RNA-binding factor contains a high-mobility-group box and is enriched in the nucleolus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:6488-92 pubmed..The gene encoding the D. melanogaster homolog, DssRP, is developmentally regulated and is expressed most abundantly in ovaries (nurse cells in particular)...
- Nakayama T, Nishioka K, Dong Y, Shimojima T, Hirose S. Drosophila GAGA factor directs histone H3.3 replacement that prevents the heterochromatin spreading. Genes Dev. 2007;21:552-61 pubmed..Based on these findings we propose that the GAGA factor and FACT-dependent replacement of Lys 9-methylated histone H3 by H3.3 counteracts the spreading of silent chromatin...
- Shimojima T, Okada M, Nakayama T, Ueda H, Okawa K, Iwamatsu A, et al. Drosophila FACT contributes to Hox gene expression through physical and functional interactions with GAGA factor. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1605-16 pubmed..We show here that Drosophila FACT (facilitates chromatin transcription), a heterodimer of dSPT16 and dSSRP1, is associated with GAGA factor through its dSSRP1 subunit, binds to a nucleosome, and facilitates GAGA factor-..
- Kasai N, Tsunaka Y, Ohki I, Hirose S, Morikawa K, Tate S. Solution structure of the HMG-box domain in the SSRP1 subunit of FACT. J Biomol NMR. 2005;32:83-8 pubmed
- Saunders A, Werner J, Andrulis E, Nakayama T, Hirose S, Reinberg D, et al. Tracking FACT and the RNA polymerase II elongation complex through chromatin in vivo. Science. 2003;301:1094-6 pubmed..Our observations are consistent with FACT being restricted to transcription that involves nucleosome disassembly mechanisms. ..
- Neumüller R, Richter C, Fischer A, Novatchkova M, Neumüller K, Knoblich J. Genome-wide analysis of self-renewal in Drosophila neural stem cells by transgenic RNAi. Cell Stem Cell. 2011;8:580-93 pubmed publisher..and show that the alternatively spliced transcription factor Lola and the transcriptional elongation factors Ssrp and Barc control self-renewal in neuroblast lineages...
- Kelley D, Stokes D, Perry R. CHD1 interacts with SSRP1 and depends on both its chromodomain and its ATPase/helicase-like domain for proper association with chromatin. Chromosoma. 1999;108:10-25 pubmed..We also present evidence for an in vivo interaction between CHD1 and a novel HMG box-containing protein, SSRP1, which involves an amino-terminal segment of CHD1 that does not include the chromodomain...
- Wisniewski J, Szewczuk Z, Petry I, Schwanbeck R, Renner U. Constitutive phosphorylation of the acidic tails of the high mobility group 1 proteins by casein kinase II alters their conformation, stability, and DNA binding specificity. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:20116-22 pubmed..As the occurrence of acidic tails containing canonical casein kinase II phosphorylation sites is common to diverse HMG and other chromosomal proteins, our results are probably of general significance. ..
- Chen C, Bowers S, Lipinszki Z, Palladino J, Trusiak S, Bettini E, et al. Establishment of Centromeric Chromatin by the CENP-A Assembly Factor CAL1 Requires FACT-Mediated Transcription. Dev Cell. 2015;34:73-84 pubmed publisher..This transcription depends on the CAL1 binding partner FACT, but not on CENP-A incorporation. Our work establishes RNAPII passage as a key step in chaperone-mediated CENP-A chromatin establishment and propagation. ..
- Sessa L, Bianchi M. The evolution of High Mobility Group Box (HMGB) chromatin proteins in multicellular animals. Gene. 2007;387:133-40 pubmed..The organization of HMGB genes was very conserved during Metazoan evolution, with the only deviations appearing in Caenorhabditis and Dipteran (Drosophila and Anopheles) species. ..
- Lipinszki Z, Lefevre S, Savoian M, Singleton M, Glover D, Przewloka M. Centromeric binding and activity of Protein Phosphatase 4. Nat Commun. 2015;6:5894 pubmed publisher..We also show that binding of Flfl to CENP-C is required to bring PP4 activity to centromeres to maintain CENP-C and attached core kinetochore proteins at chromosomes during mitosis. ..
- Boltengagen M, Huang A, Boltengagen A, Trixl L, Lindner H, Kremser L, et al. A novel role for the histone acetyltransferase Hat1 in the CENP-A/CID assembly pathway in Drosophila melanogaster. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016;44:2145-59 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results point toward intriguing analogies between the complex processing pathways of newly synthesized CENP-A and canonical histones. ..