Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: srl
Alias: CG 9809, CG9809, Dmel\CG9809, PGC-1, PGC-1-alpha, Spargel, Srl, cg9809, dPCG1alpha, dPGC, dPGC-1, dPGC1, spargel, CG9809-PB, CG9809-PD, CG9809-PE, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1, srl-PB, srl-PD, srl-PE
Species: fruit fly
- Mukherjee S, Duttaroy A. Spargel/dPGC-1 is a new downstream effector in the insulin-TOR signaling pathway in Drosophila. Genetics. 2013;195:433-41 pubmed publisher..Insufficiency in either insulin or TOR results in developmental growth defects due to low ATP level. Spargel is the Drosophila homolog of PGC-1, which is an omnipotent transcriptional coactivator in mammals...
- Baenas N, Piegholdt S, Schloesser A, Moreno D, GarcÃa Viguera C, Rimbach G, et al. Metabolic Activity of Radish Sprouts Derived Isothiocyanates in Drosophila melanogaster. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17:251 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we report a decrease in the glucose content of flies, an upregulation of spargel expression, the Drosophila homolog of the mammalian PPARÎ³-coactivator 1 Î±, as well as the inhibition of Î±..
- Rogers R, Rogina B. Increased mitochondrial biogenesis preserves intestinal stem cell homeostasis and contributes to longevity in Indy mutant flies. Aging (Albany NY). 2014;6:335-50 pubmed..Genetic reduction of Indy expression increases midgut expression of the mitochondrial regulator spargel/dPGC-1, which is accompanied by increased mitochondrial biogenesis and reduced reactive oxygen species (ROS)...
- Islam R, Yang L, Sah M, Kannan K, Anamani D, Vijayan C, et al. A neuroprotective role of the human uncoupling protein 2 (hUCP2) in a Drosophila Parkinson's disease model. Neurobiol Dis. 2012;46:137-46 pubmed publisher..Consistent with this notion, an up-regulation of Spargel, the Drosophila peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 (PGC-1) homologue is detected in ..
- Lee K, Wu Z, Song Y, Mitra S, Feroze A, Cheshier S, et al. Roles of PINK1, mTORC2, and mitochondria in preserving brain tumor-forming stem cells in a noncanonical Notch signaling pathway. Genes Dev. 2013;27:2642-7 pubmed publisher..Our results emphasize the importance of mitochondria to N and NSC biology, with important implications for diseases associated with aberrant N signaling. ..
- Wagner A, Piegholdt S, Rabe D, Baenas N, Schloesser A, Eggersdorfer M, et al. Epigallocatechin gallate affects glucose metabolism and increases fitness and lifespan in Drosophila melanogaster. Oncotarget. 2015;6:30568-78 pubmed publisher..3 days) as well as improved fitness was detected. These effects went along an increased expression of Spargel, the homolog of mammalian PGC1Î±, which has been reported to affect lifespan in flies...
- Hur J, Stork D, Walker D. Complex-I-ty in aging. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 2014;46:329-35 pubmed publisher..We suggest that manipulations that increase or decrease complex I activity both converge on improved mitochondrial homeostasis during aging, resulting in prolonged lifespan. ..
- Rana A, Rera M, Walker D. Parkin overexpression during aging reduces proteotoxicity, alters mitochondrial dynamics, and extends lifespan. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:8638-43 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings reveal roles for Parkin in modulating organismal aging and provide insight into the molecular mechanisms linking aging to neurodegeneration. ..
- Banerjee K, Ayyub C, Sengupta S, Kolthur Seetharam U. Fat body dSir2 regulates muscle mitochondrial physiology and energy homeostasis nonautonomously and mimics the autonomous functions of dSir2 in muscles. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:252-64 pubmed publisher..In summary, we show that fat body dSir2 is a master regulator of organismal energy homeostasis and is required for maintaining the metabolic regulatory network across tissues. ..
- Baltzer C, Tiefenböck S, Marti M, Frei C. Nutrition controls mitochondrial biogenesis in the Drosophila adipose tissue through Delg and cyclin D/Cdk4. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6935 pubmed publisher..These findings are the first genetic evidence that the regulation of mitochondrial mass can be uncoupled from mitochondrial activity. ..
- Ng C, Basil A, Hang L, Tan R, Goh K, O Neill S, et al. Genetic or pharmacological activation of the Drosophila PGC-1? ortholog spargel rescues the disease phenotypes of genetic models of Parkinson's disease. Neurobiol Aging. 2017;55:33-37 pubmed publisher..Here, we showed that silencing of expression of the Drosophila PGC-1? ortholog spargel results in PD-related phenotypes in flies and also seem to negate the effects of AMPK activation, which we have ..
- Mukherjee S, Basar M, Davis C, Duttaroy A. Emerging functional similarities and divergences between Drosophila Spargel/dPGC-1 and mammalian PGC-1 protein. Front Genet. 2014;5:216 pubmed publisher..Entire Drosophila species subgroup carries a PGC-1 homolog in their genome called spargel/dPGC-1 showing very little divergence...
- Tufi R, Gandhi S, de Castro I, Lehmann S, Angelova P, Dinsdale D, et al. Enhancing nucleotide metabolism protects against mitochondrial dysfunction and neurodegeneration in a PINK1 model of Parkinson's disease. Nat Cell Biol. 2014;16:157-66 pubmed publisher..We propose that targeting strategies enhancing nucleotide synthesis pathways may reverse mitochondrial dysfunction and rescue neurodegeneration in PD and, potentially, other diseases linked to mitochondrial impairment. ..
- Senyilmaz D, Virtue S, Xu X, Tan C, Griffin J, Miller A, et al. Regulation of mitochondrial morphology and function by stearoylation of TFR1. Nature. 2015;525:124-8 pubmed publisher..This work identifies the metabolite C18:0 as a signalling molecule regulating mitochondrial function in response to diet. ..
- De Luca M, Klimentidis Y, Casazza K, Chambers M, Cho R, Harbison S, et al. A conserved role for syndecan family members in the regulation of whole-body energy metabolism. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11286 pubmed publisher..They also displayed significantly reduced metabolic rate, lower expression of spargel (the Drosophila homologue of PGC-1), and reduced mitochondrial respiration...