Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sr
Alias: CG7847, Dmel\CG7847, SrB, l(3)03999, l(3)06948, l(3)06948b, stripe, CG7847-PA, CG7847-PB, CG7847-PC, CG7847-PD, CG7847-PE, STRIPE, StripeB, sr-PA, sr-PB, sr-PC, sr-PD, sr-PE, striped
Species: fruit fly
- Volk T, Vijayraghavan K. A central role for epidermal segment border cells in the induction of muscle patterning in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 1994;120:59-70 pubmed..Finally, we have analyzed mutants at the stripe locus and have shown that lethal alleles disrupt muscle organization during embryogenesis...
- Subramanian A, Wayburn B, Bunch T, Volk T. Thrombospondin-mediated adhesion is essential for the formation of the myotendinous junction in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:1269-78 pubmed..Tsp expression is induced by the tendon-specific transcription factor Stripe, and accumulates at the myotendinous junction following the association between the muscle and the tendon cell...
- Marcellini S, Simpson P. Two or four bristles: functional evolution of an enhancer of scute in Drosophilidae. PLoS Biol. 2006;4:e386 pubmed..This work illustrates how, in the context of a conserved trans-regulatory landscape, evolutionary tinkering of pre-existing enhancers can modify gene expression patterns and contribute to morphological diversification...
- Fernandes J, Celniker S, Vijayraghavan K. Development of the indirect flight muscle attachment sites in Drosophila: role of the PS integrins and the stripe gene. Dev Biol. 1996;176:166-84 pubmed..0, which is an insertion at the stripe locus. B14...
- Lee J, Vijayraghavan K, Celniker S, Tanouye M. Identification of a Drosophila muscle development gene with structural homology to mammalian early growth response transcription factors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:10344-8 pubmedIn Drosophila, stripe (sr) gene function is required for normal muscle development. Some mutations disrupt embryonic muscle development and are lethal. Other mutations cause total loss of only a single muscle in the adult...
- Wayburn B, Volk T. LRT, a tendon-specific leucine-rich repeat protein, promotes muscle-tendon targeting through its interaction with Robo. Development. 2009;136:3607-15 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest a novel mechanism by which muscles are targeted towards tendon cells as a result of LRT-Robo interactions. This mechanism may apply to the Robo-dependent migration of a wide variety of cell types. ..
- Ghazi A, Anant S, Vijayraghavan K. Apterous mediates development of direct flight muscles autonomously and indirect flight muscles through epidermal cues. Development. 2000;127:5309-18 pubmed..Here, it functions to regulate the expression of stripe, a gene that is an important element of early patterning of muscle fibres, from the epidermis...
- Israeli D, Nir R, Volk T. Dissection of the target specificity of the RNA-binding protein HOW reveals dpp mRNA as a novel HOW target. Development. 2007;134:2107-14 pubmed..Thus, by characterizing the RNA sequences that bind HOW, we demonstrate a novel aspect of regulation, at the mRNA level, of Drosophila DPP. ..
- Vorbrüggen G, Jackle H. Epidermal muscle attachment site-specific target gene expression and interference with myotube guidance in response to ectopic stripe expression in the developing Drosophila epidermis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:8606-11 pubmedThe egr-type zinc-finger transcription factor encoded by the Drosophila gene stripe (sr) is expressed in a subset of epidermal cells to which muscles attach during late stages of embryogenesis...
- Chanana B, Graf R, Koledachkina T, Pflanz R, Vorbrüggen G. AlphaPS2 integrin-mediated muscle attachment in Drosophila requires the ECM protein Thrombospondin. Mech Dev. 2007;124:463-75 pubmed..signaling, whereas tsp expression in differentiated tendon cells depends on the transcription factor encoded by stripe. In the absence of tsp activity, no aspect of muscle pattern formation as well as the initial contact between ..
- Callahan C, Bonkovsky J, Scully A, Thomas J. derailed is required for muscle attachment site selection in Drosophila. Development. 1996;122:2761-7 pubmed..The data suggest that both neurons and muscles use common mechanisms to recognize their paths or targets, and that Drl plays an analogous role in both developing systems. ..
- Nabel Rosen H, Dorevitch N, Reuveny A, Volk T. The balance between two isoforms of the Drosophila RNA-binding protein how controls tendon cell differentiation. Mol Cell. 1999;4:573-84 pubmed..This interaction results in elevated levels of the transcription factor Stripe in the future tendon cells...
- Usui K, Pistillo D, Simpson P. Mutual exclusion of sensory bristles and tendons on the notum of dipteran flies. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1047-55 pubmed..Tendon development depends on the activity of a transcription factor encoded by the gene stripe. In Drosophila, stripe and achaete-scute have separate expression domains, leading to spatial segregation of ..
- Yarnitzky T, Min L, Volk T. The Drosophila neuregulin homolog Vein mediates inductive interactions between myotubes and their epidermal attachment cells. Genes Dev. 1997;11:2691-700 pubmed..binding activates the Ras pathway in the EMA cells leading to the transcription of the tendon-specific genes, stripe, delilah, and beta1 tubulin...
- Ghazi A, Paul L, Vijayraghavan K. Prepattern genes and signaling molecules regulate stripe expression to specify Drosophila flight muscle attachment sites. Mech Dev. 2003;120:519-28 pubmedIn Drosophila, muscles attach to epidermal tendon cells specified by the gene stripe (sr). Flight muscle attachment sites are prefigured on the wing imaginal disc by sr expression in discrete domains...
- Kramer S, Kidd T, Simpson J, Goodman C. Switching repulsion to attraction: changing responses to slit during transition in mesoderm migration. Science. 2001;292:737-40 pubmed..A few hours after migration, these same cells change their behavior and require Robo to extend toward Slit-expressing muscle attachment sites. Thus, Slit functions as a chemoattractant to provide specificity for muscle patterning. ..
- Subramanian A, Prokop A, Yamamoto M, Sugimura K, Uemura T, Betschinger J, et al. Shortstop recruits EB1/APC1 and promotes microtubule assembly at the muscle-tendon junction. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1086-95 pubmed..This is achieved by Shot association with the cytoplasmic faces of the basal hemiadherens junction and with the EB1/APC1 complex. ..
- Becker S, Pasca G, Strumpf D, Min L, Volk T. Reciprocal signaling between Drosophila epidermal muscle attachment cells and their corresponding muscles. Development. 1997;124:2615-22 pubmed..Our findings suggest that the stripe gene is necessary and sufficient to initiate the developmental program of epidermal muscle attachment cells...
- Usui K, Goldstone C, Gibert J, Simpson P. Redundant mechanisms mediate bristle patterning on the Drosophila thorax. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:20112-7 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that the products of the genes stripe, hairy, and extramacrochaetae contribute to rescue by antagonizing the activity of Sc and Ase...
- Malmanche N, Clark D. Identification of trans-dominant modifiers of Prat expression in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2003;164:1419-33 pubmed..Quantification of their effect on endogenous Prat gene expression, using RT-PCR in young adult fly heads, identifies a subset of modifiers that are candidates for genes involved in regulating Prat expression. ..
- Fischer J, Leavell S, Li Q. Mutagenesis screens for interacting genes reveal three roles for fat facets during Drosophila eye development. Dev Genet. 1997;21:167-74 pubmed..Three different eye phenotypes were observed when the fat facets mutants were dominantly enhanced by different mutations, suggesting that fat facets has other functions in addition to its critical role early in eye development. ..
- Hatini V, DiNardo S. Divide and conquer: pattern formation in Drosophila embryonic epidermis. Trends Genet. 2001;17:574-9 pubmed..Here, we review several recent reports that help to elucidate the regulatory principles used to control this pattern. Because organizers are conserved, the same fundamental principles might operate in other organizers. ..
- Boukhatmi H, Frendo J, Enriquez J, Crozatier M, Dubois L, Vincent A. Tup/Islet1 integrates time and position to specify muscle identity in Drosophila. Development. 2012;139:3572-82 pubmed publisher..The contributions of Tin, Tup and Col to patterning Drosophila dorsal muscles bring novel parallels with chordate pharyngeal muscle development. ..
- Sanson B. Generating patterns from fields of cells. Examples from Drosophila segmentation. EMBO Rep. 2001;2:1083-8 pubmed..This example from Drosophila provides a paradigm for how organizers generate precise patterns, and ultimately different cell types, in a naïve field of cells. ..
- Duncan I, Kaufman T. Cytogenic analysis of chromosome 3 in Drosophila melanogaster: mapping of the proximal portion of the right arm. Genetics. 1975;80:733-52 pubmed
- Soustelle L, Jacques C, Altenhein B, Technau G, Volk T, Giangrande A. Terminal tendon cell differentiation requires the glide/gcm complex. Development. 2004;131:4521-32 pubmed..absence of both genes, muscle attachment to tendon cells is altered, even though the molecular cascade induced by stripe, the tendon cell determinant, is normal...
- Alexander M. Radiosensitivity at Specific Autosomal Loci in Mature Sperm and Spermatogonial Cells of Drosophila Melanogaster. Genetics. 1960;45:1019-22 pubmed
- Gailey D, Hall J. Behavior and cytogenetics of fruitless in Drosophila melanogaster: different courtship defects caused by separate, closely linked lesions. Genetics. 1989;121:773-85 pubmed..These included combinations of deficiencies, each with a breakpoint in 91B, and a transposon inserted in 91B. ..
- Meyer N, Oberegelsbacher C, Dürr T, Schäfer A, Huber A. An eGFP-based genetic screen for defects in light-triggered subcelluar translocation of the Drosophila photoreceptor channel TRPL. Fly (Austin). 2008;2:36-46 pubmed..The absence of TRP or rhodopsin in the isolated mutants readily explains the defect in TRPL internalization and proves the feasibility of our genetic screen. ..
- Yan R, Luo H, Darnell J, Dearolf C. A JAK-STAT pathway regulates wing vein formation in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:5842-7 pubmed
- Taylor M. A myogenic switch. Muscle development. Curr Biol. 1996;6:924-6 pubmed..Experiments manipulating the level of the basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor Twist in the Drosophila embryo have revealed a novel role for this protein in a 'myogenic switch' during early development. ..
- Therrien M, Morrison D, Wong A, Rubin G. A genetic screen for modifiers of a kinase suppressor of Ras-dependent rough eye phenotype in Drosophila. Genetics. 2000;156:1231-42 pubmed..One of them corresponds to the kismet locus, which encodes a putative chromatin remodeling factor. The relevance of these loci with respect to the function of KSR and the Ras1 pathway in general is discussed. ..
- Chanut F, Luk A, Heberlein U. A screen for dominant modifiers of ro(Dom), a mutation that disrupts morphogenetic furrow progression in Drosophila, identifies groucho and hairless as regulators of atonal expression. Genetics. 2000;156:1203-17 pubmed..Analysis of their phenotypes in somatic clones suggests that both normally act to restrict neuronal cell fate in the retina, although they control different aspects of ato's complex expression pattern. ..
- Liu Z, Geisbrecht E. Moleskin is essential for the formation of the myotendinous junction in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2011;359:176-89 pubmed publisher..In addition, the tendon cell specific proteins Stripe (Sr) and activated mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) are reduced in msk mutant embryos...
- Nachman A, Halachmi N, Matia N, Manzur D, Salzberg A. Deconstructing the complexity of regulating common properties in different cell types: lessons from the delilah gene. Dev Biol. 2015;403:180-91 pubmed publisher..to central regulators of cell identity in each of the dei-expressing cell types, such as D-Mef2 in muscle cells, Stripe in tendon cells and Blistered in wing intervein cells...
- Albornoz J, Dominguez A. Inversion polymorphism and accumulation of lethals in selected lines of Drosophila melanogaster. Heredity (Edinb). 1994;73 ( Pt 1):92-7 pubmed..Consideration of the high selection response attained despite inversion polymorphism leads to the conclusion that extreme responses to selection can be obtained without exploiting the potential from large genomic regions. ..
- Egoz Matia N, Nachman A, Halachmi N, Toder M, Klein Y, Salzberg A. Spatial regulation of cell adhesion in the Drosophila wing is mediated by Delilah, a potent activator of ?PS integrin expression. Dev Biol. 2011;351:99-109 pubmed publisher..The effect of Dei on ?PS expression is not restricted to the wing, suggesting that Dei functions as a general genetic switch, which is turned on wherever a sticky cell-identity is determined and integrin-based adhesion is required. ..
- Whitlock M, Bourguet D. Factors affecting the genetic load in Drosophila: synergistic epistasis and correlations among fitness components. Evolution. 2000;54:1654-60 pubmed
- Gabay L, Seger R, Shilo B. MAP kinase in situ activation atlas during Drosophila embryogenesis. Development. 1997;124:3535-41 pubmed..Since the antibody was raised against the phosphorylated form of a conserved ERK peptide containing the TEY motif, this approach is applicable to a wide spectrum of multicellular organisms. ..
- Takahashi A, Ting C. Genetic basis of sexual isolation in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetica. 2004;120:273-84 pubmed..The evolution and the maintenance of this behavioral polymorphism are also discussed. ..
- Ward C, Alexander M. Cytological Analysis of X-Ray-Induced Mutations at Eight Specific Loci in the Third Chromosome of Drosophila Melanogaster. Genetics. 1957;42:42-54 pubmed
- Siriaco G, Cenci G, Haoudi A, Champion L, Zhou C, Gatti M, et al. Telomere elongation (Tel), a new mutation in Drosophila melanogaster that produces long telomeres. Genetics. 2002;160:235-45 pubmed..Associations between metaphase chromosomes are resolved during anaphase, suggesting that they are mediated by either proteinaceous links or DNA hydrogen bonding, rather than covalent DNA-DNA bonds. ..
- Inbal A, Volk T, Salzberg A. Recruitment of ectodermal attachment cells via an EGFR-dependent mechanism during the organogenesis of Drosophila proprioceptors. Dev Cell. 2004;7:241-50 pubmed..Molecular characterization of lch5 attachment cells demonstrated that they share significant properties with Drosophila tendon cells and with mammalian proprioceptive organs. ..
- Hatini V, DiNardo S. Distinct signals generate repeating striped pattern in the embryonic parasegment. Mol Cell. 2001;7:151-60 pubmedHow repeating striped patterns arise across cellular fields is unclear. To address this we examined the repeating pattern of Stripe (Sr) expression across the parasegment (PS) in Drosophila. This pattern is generated in two steps...
- Cripps R. Muscle biology workshop, 35th annual Drosophila research conference. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 1994;15:583-5 pubmed
- Madhavan M, Kumar R, Krishnan K. Genetics of anesthetic response: autosomal mutations that render Drosophila resistant to halothane. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2000;67:749-57 pubmed..Two of these mutations, Omar(82) and Qajjem(211) are shown to map to separate loci on the third chromosome. ..
- Hughes A. Phylogenies of developmentally important proteins do not support the hypothesis of two rounds of genome duplication early in vertebrate history. J Mol Evol. 1999;48:565-76 pubmed..Taken together with other recently published phylogenies of developmentally important genes, these results provide strong evidence against the 2R hypothesis...
- Nir R, Grossman R, Paroush Z, Volk T. Phosphorylation of the Drosophila melanogaster RNA-binding protein HOW by MAPK/ERK enhances its dimerization and activity. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002632 pubmed publisher..Hence, our findings bridge between MAPK/ERK signaling and RNA regulation in developing muscles...
- Mollaaghababa R, Sipos L, Tiong S, Papoulas O, Armstrong J, Tamkun J, et al. Mutations in Drosophila heat shock cognate 4 are enhancers of Polycomb. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:3958-63 pubmed..HSC4 might be needed for the proper folding of a component of the Polycomb repression complex, or it may be a functional member of that complex...
- Fyrberg E, Bernstein S, Vijayraghavan K. Basic methods for Drosophila muscle biology. Methods Cell Biol. 1994;44:237-58 pubmed
- Ohno S. The one-to-four rule and paralogues of sex-determining genes. Cell Mol Life Sci. 1999;55:824-30 pubmed..It is likely that one of them plays a pivotal role in the estrogen-dependent sex-determining mechanism so commonly found among reptiles, amphibians and fish. ..
- Evans C, Merriam J, Aguilera R. Drosophila acid DNase is a homolog of mammalian DNase II. Gene. 2002;295:61-70 pubmed..Interestingly, overexpression of CG7780 both ubiquitously and in specific tissues failed to elicit any discernable phenotype. ..
- Homyk T, Emerson C. Functional interactions between unlinked muscle genes within haploinsufficient regions of the Drosophila genome. Genetics. 1988;119:105-21 pubmed
- Bahri S, Choy J, Manser E, Lim L, Yang X. The Drosophila homologue of Arf-GAP GIT1, dGIT, is required for proper muscle morphogenesis and guidance during embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;325:15-23 pubmed publisher..We propose that dGIT and dPak are part of a complex that promotes proper muscle morphogenesis and myotube targeting during embryogenesis. ..
- O Farrell F, Kylsten P. Drosophila Anillin is unequally required during asymmetric cell divisions of the PNS. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;369:407-13 pubmed publisher..The net result of which is the formation of incomplete sense organs and embryonic lethality. ..
- Pebusque M, Coulier F, Birnbaum D, Pontarotti P. Ancient large-scale genome duplications: phylogenetic and linkage analyses shed light on chordate genome evolution. Mol Biol Evol. 1998;15:1145-59 pubmed..Linkage of some of these genes can be found in the Drosophila melanogaster and Caenorhabditis elegans genomes, suggesting that they were linked in the triploblast Metazoa ancestor. ..
- Ramos A, Barolo S. Low-affinity transcription factor binding sites shape morphogen responses and enhancer evolution. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2013;368:20130018 pubmed publisher..Contrary to our initial hypothesis, improving the affinity of Ci/Gli sites in enhancers of dpp, wingless and stripe, by transplanting optimal sites from the patched gene, did not result in ectopic responses to Hh signalling...
- Lu Y, Wu L, Anderson K. The antibacterial arm of the drosophila innate immune response requires an IkappaB kinase. Genes Dev. 2001;15:104-10 pubmed..The ird5 gene encodes a Drosophila homolog of mammalian IkappaB kinases (IKKs). The ird5 phenotype and sequence suggest that the gene is specifically required for the activation of Relish, a Drosophila NF-kappaB family member. ..
- Krempler A, Brenig B. Zinc finger proteins: watchdogs in muscle development. Mol Gen Genet. 1999;261:209-15 pubmed..This review discusses several zinc finger proteins that have been characterized as regulators of muscle development and muscle-specific gene expression. ..
- Wu L, Anderson K. Regulated nuclear import of Rel proteins in the Drosophila immune response. Nature. 1998;392:93-7 pubmed..Mutations in three other genes cause constitutive nuclear localization of Dif; these mutations may block Rel protein activity by a novel mechanism. ..
- Kaplan T, Friedman N, Margalit H. Ab initio prediction of transcription factor targets using structural knowledge. PLoS Comput Biol. 2005;1:e1 pubmed..By analyzing the predicted targets along with gene annotation and expression data we infer the function and activity of these proteins. ..
- Tissot M, Stocker R. Metamorphosis in drosophila and other insects: the fate of neurons throughout the stages. Prog Neurobiol. 2000;62:89-111 pubmed..The wealth of information available emphasises the strength of the insect model system used in developmental studies, rendering it clearly the most important system for studies at the cellular level. ..
- Calleja M, Renaud O, Usui K, Pistillo D, Morata G, Simpson P. How to pattern an epithelium: lessons from achaete-scute regulation on the notum of Drosophila. Gene. 2002;292:1-12 pubmed..Thus there may be a common prepattern for the entire structure. ..
- Hoshizaki D, Dlott B, Joslyn G, Beckendorf S. Genetic localization of a regulatory site necessary for the production of the glue protein P5 in Drosophila melanogaster. Genet Res. 1987;49:111-9 pubmed
- Levine J, Wyman R. Neurophysiology of flight in wild-type and a mutant Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1973;70:1050-4 pubmed..Flies carrying the mutation stripe cannot fly...
- Manoukian A, Krause H, Larsen E. Modifiers of bx1 alter the distribution of Ubx proteins in haltere imaginal discs of Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1992;151:611-6 pubmed..In contrast, mutations in the suppressor of sable (su(s)) gene enhance the bx1 phenotype. A correlation was observed between patterns of Ubx protein expression and the phenotypic transformations observed. ..
- Deak I, Bellamy P, Bienz M, Dubuis Y, Fenner E, Gollin M, et al. Mutations affecting the indirect flight muscles of Drosophila melanogaster. J Embryol Exp Morphol. 1982;69:61-81 pubmed..The absence of reduction of the 54 K protein was strongly correlated with aberrant Z-bands. ..
- Strumpf D, Volk T. Kakapo, a novel cytoskeletal-associated protein is essential for the restricted localization of the neuregulin-like factor, vein, at the muscle-tendon junction site. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:1259-70 pubmed..This may lead to aberrant differentiation of tendon cells and consequently to the kakapo mutant deranged somatic muscle phenotype. ..
- Klein Y, Halachmi N, Egoz Matia N, Toder M, Salzberg A. The proprioceptive and contractile systems in Drosophila are both patterned by the EGR family transcription factor Stripe. Dev Biol. 2010;337:458-70 pubmed publisher..Here we show that the positioning and differentiation of the migrating chordotonal organs are instructed by Stripe, the same transcription factor that promotes tendon cell specification and differentiation and is required for ..
- Romanova N, Aslanian M, Kim A. [Analysis of spontaneous and ethylmethanesulfonate-induced visible mutations in the genetically unstable MS, w strain of Drosophila melanogaster]. Genetika. 1996;32:759-66 pubmed..in five loci of chromosome 2 (b, j, pr, cn, and vg), and in eight loci of chromosome 3 (ru, h, th, st, cu, sr, es, and ca)...
- Bellen H, Vaessin H, Bier E, Kolodkin A, D Evelyn D, Kooyer S, et al. The Drosophila couch potato gene: an essential gene required for normal adult behavior. Genetics. 1992;131:365-75 pubmed..In situ hybridization to whole mount embryos suggest that some insertions affect the levels of transcription of cpo in most cells in which it is expressed. ..
- Zikova M, Da Ponte J, Dastugue B, Jagla K. Patterning of the cardiac outflow region in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:12189-94 pubmed