Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: squ
Alias: CG4711, Dmel\CG4711, SQU, atg, mat(2)cell-A, mat(2)cellHK35, squash, CG4711-PA, CG4711-PB, CG4711-PC, adjacent-to-grapes, squ-PA, squ-PB, squ-PC
Species: fruit fly
- Haase A, Fenoglio S, Muerdter F, Guzzardo P, Czech B, Pappin D, et al. Probing the initiation and effector phases of the somatic piRNA pathway in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2010;24:2499-504 pubmed publisher..b>Squash associated physically with Piwi, and reductions in its expression led to modest transposon derepression without ..
- Digilio F, Pannuti A, Lucchesi J, Furia M, Polito L. Tosca: a Drosophila gene encoding a nuclease specifically expressed in the female germline. Dev Biol. 1996;178:90-100 pubmed..The definite oocyte localization of tos transcript during meiosis and its ubiquitous distribution in early embryos suggest that tos may play a role in mismatch repair during genetic recombination and early cleavage divisions. ..
- Patil V, Anand A, Chakrabarti A, Kai T. The Tudor domain protein Tapas, a homolog of the vertebrate Tdrd7, functions in the piRNA pathway to regulate retrotransposons in germline of Drosophila melanogaster. BMC Biol. 2014;12:61 pubmed publisher..tej and tap also function in a synergistic manner to maintain examined piRNA components at the perinuclear nuage and for piRNA production in Drosophila germline cells. ..
- McKim K, Jang J, Sekelsky J, Laurencon A, Hawley R. mei-41 is required for precocious anaphase in Drosophila females. Chromosoma. 2000;109:44-9 pubmed..The effect of mei-41 is dependent on double-strand break formation. Thus, in mutants that fail to initiate meiotic recombination the absence of mei-41 has no effect. ..
- Kibanov M, Egorova K, Ryazansky S, Sokolova O, Kotov A, Olenkina O, et al. A novel organelle, the piNG-body, in the nuage of Drosophila male germ cells is associated with piRNA-mediated gene silencing. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3410-9 pubmed publisher..This body contains known ovarian nuage proteins, including Vasa, Aub, AGO3, Tud, Spn-E, Bel, Squ, and Cuff, as well as AGO1, the key component of the microRNA pathway...
- Rouget C, Papin C, Boureux A, Meunier A, Franco B, Robine N, et al. Maternal mRNA deadenylation and decay by the piRNA pathway in the early Drosophila embryo. Nature. 2010;467:1128-32 pubmed publisher..Because the piRNAs involved in this regulation are produced from transposable elements, this identifies a direct developmental function for transposable elements in the regulation of gene expression. ..
- Wilson J, Connell J, Schlenker J, Macdonald P. Novel genetic screen for genes involved in posterior body patterning in Drosophila. Dev Genet. 1996;19:199-209 pubmed..These defects are distinct from previously described perturbations in oskar activity and provide new insights into the regulation of oskar. ..
- Sibon O, Laurencon A, Hawley R, Theurkauf W. The Drosophila ATM homologue Mei-41 has an essential checkpoint function at the midblastula transition. Curr Biol. 1999;9:302-12 pubmed..During early embryogenesis, however, this pathway is activated by developmental cues and is required for the transition from maternal to zygotic control of development at the MBT. ..
- Fogarty P, Campbell S, Abu Shumays R, Phalle B, Yu K, Uy G, et al. The Drosophila grapes gene is related to checkpoint gene chk1/rad27 and is required for late syncytial division fidelity. Curr Biol. 1997;7:418-26 pubmed..These results are discussed with respect to the proposed function of the chk1/rad27 gene. ..
- Obbard D, Gordon K, Buck A, Jiggins F. The evolution of RNAi as a defence against viruses and transposable elements. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009;364:99-115 pubmed publisher..Over longer time scales, key RNAi genes are repeatedly duplicated or lost across the metazoan phylogeny, with important implications for RNAi as an immune defence. ..
- Bozzetti M, Fanti L, Di Tommaso S, Piacentini L, Berloco M, Tritto P, et al. The "Special" crystal-Stellate System in Drosophila melanogaster Reveals Mechanisms Underlying piRNA Pathway-Mediated Canalization. Genet Res Int. 2012;2012:324293 pubmed publisher..In particular, we illustrate the finding that HSP90 participates in the molecular pathways of piRNA production. This observation has relevance for the mechanisms underlying the evolutionary canalization process. ..
- Becalska A, Kim Y, Belletier N, Lerit D, Sinsimer K, Gavis E. Aubergine is a component of a nanos mRNA localization complex. Dev Biol. 2011;349:46-52 pubmed publisher..Aub interacts with nos mRNA in vivo and co-purifies with Rump in an RNA-dependent manner. Our results support a role for Aub, independent of its function in RNA silencing, as a component of a nos mRNA localization complex...
- Todeschini A, Teysset L, Delmarre V, Ronsseray S. The epigenetic trans-silencing effect in Drosophila involves maternally-transmitted small RNAs whose production depends on the piRNA pathway and HP1. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11032 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that mutations in squash and zucchini, which are involved in the piwi-interacting RNA (piRNA) silencing pathway, strongly affect TSE...
- Gell S, Reenan R. Mutations to the piRNA pathway component aubergine enhance meiotic drive of segregation distorter in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2013;193:771-84 pubmed publisher..The data herein demonstrate that mutations to piRNA pathway components act as enhancers of SD. ..