Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sqd
Alias: BcDNA:GM03761, CG16901, CG17791, CR33328, Dmel\CG16901, Dmel_CR33328, HRP40, Hrb87, Hrb87Fb, Hrp40, RRM3, Rbp3, SQD, Sqd, Squid, fs(3)00048, hnRNP 1, hnRNP A, hrp40, l(3)EP3631, l(3)j4B4, l(3)j6E3, l(3)j8E7, rrm3, squid, CG16901-PA, CG16901-PB, CG16901-PC, CG16901-PD, CG16901-PE, RNA-binding protein 3, heterogeneous-nuclear-ribonucleoprotein-87Fb, lethal (3) j4B4, sqd-PA, sqd-PB, sqd-PC, sqd-PD, sqd-PE
Species: fruit fly
- Pazman C, Mayes C, Fanto M, Haynes S, Mlodzik M. Rasputin, the Drosophila homologue of the RasGAP SH3 binding protein, functions in ras- and Rho-mediated signaling. Development. 2000;127:1715-25 pubmed..These data suggest that Rin is not a general component of polarity generation, but serves a function specific to Ras and RhoA signaling pathways. ..
- Hovemann B, Reim I, Werner S, Katz S, Saumweber H. The protein Hrb57A of Drosophila melanogaster closely related to hnRNP K from vertebrates is present at sites active in transcription and coprecipitates with four RNA-binding proteins. Gene. 2000;245:127-37 pubmed
- Neuman Silberberg F, Schupbach T. The Drosophila dorsoventral patterning gene gurken produces a dorsally localized RNA and encodes a TGF alpha-like protein. Cell. 1993;75:165-74 pubmed..We propose that the dorsal localization of grk RNA results in a spatially restricted ligand that asymmetrically activates the receptor. ..
- Rajendra T, Prasanth K, Lakhotia S. Male sterility associated with overexpression of the noncoding hsromega gene in cyst cells of testis of Drosophila melanogaster. J Genet. 2001;80:97-110 pubmed..The in situ distribution patterns of these two hnRNPs and several other RNA-binding proteins (Hrp40, Hrb57A, S5, Sxl, SRp55 and Rb97D) were not affected by hsromega mutation in any of the meiotic stages in adult ..
- Goodrich J, Clouse K, Schupbach T. Hrb27C, Sqd and Otu cooperatively regulate gurken RNA localization and mediate nurse cell chromosome dispersion in Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2004;131:1949-58 pubmed..In Drosophila oogenesis, the hnRNP Squid (Sqd) functions in the localization and translational regulation of gurken (grk) mRNA...
- Delanoue R, Herpers B, Soetaert J, Davis I, Rabouille C. Drosophila Squid/hnRNP helps Dynein switch from a gurken mRNA transport motor to an ultrastructural static anchor in sponge bodies. Dev Cell. 2007;13:523-38 pubmed..transport of gurken mRNA requires both the Dynein motor and the heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein (hnRNP) Squid. We show that gurken transcripts are transported directly on microtubules by Dynein in nonmembranous electron-..
- Samuels M, Bopp D, Colvin R, Roscigno R, Garcia Blanco M, Schedl P. RNA binding by Sxl proteins in vitro and in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:4975-90 pubmed..After prolonged heat shock, all Sxl protein was restricted to the heat-induced puff at the hs93D locus. In contrast, a presumptive small nuclear RNP protein was observed at several heat puffs following shock. ..
- Boylan K, Mische S, Li M, Marques G, Morin X, Chia W, et al. Motility screen identifies Drosophila IGF-II mRNA-binding protein--zipcode-binding protein acting in oogenesis and synaptogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e36 pubmed publisher..In oocytes, where Imp function is not essential, we implicate a specific Imp domain in the establishment of dorsoventral polarity. ..
- Cáceres L, Nilson L. Translational repression of gurken mRNA in the Drosophila oocyte requires the hnRNP Squid in the nurse cells. Dev Biol. 2009;326:327-34 pubmed publisher..Normal gurken localization requires the heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein Squid, which binds to the gurken 3' untranslated region...
- Clouse K, Ferguson S, Schupbach T. Squid, Cup, and PABP55B function together to regulate gurken translation in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2008;313:713-24 pubmed..b>Squid (Sqd) is an RNA-binding protein that is required for the correct localization and translational regulation of the ..
- Weil T, Parton R, Herpers B, Soetaert J, Veenendaal T, Xanthakis D, et al. Drosophila patterning is established by differential association of mRNAs with P bodies. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:1305-13 pubmed publisher..show that the translational activator Oo18 RNA-binding protein (Orb, a homologue of CEPB) and the anchoring factor Squid (Sqd) are also enriched...
- Norvell A, Kelley R, Wehr K, Schupbach T. Specific isoforms of squid, a Drosophila hnRNP, perform distinct roles in Gurken localization during oogenesis. Genes Dev. 1999;13:864-76 pubmed..A germ-line mutation in a Drosophila hnRNP, Squid (Sqd)/hrp40, causes female sterility as a result of mislocalization of gurken (grk) mRNA during oogenesis...
- Neuman Silberberg F, Schupbach T. The Drosophila TGF-alpha-like protein Gurken: expression and cellular localization during Drosophila oogenesis. Mech Dev. 1996;59:105-13 pubmed..By immunoblotting we detect one major form of the Gurken protein, which likely corresponds to the unprocessed protein. ..
- Kelley R. Initial organization of the Drosophila dorsoventral axis depends on an RNA-binding protein encoded by the squid gene. Genes Dev. 1993;7:948-60 pubmedFemales mutant for the newly identified squid (sqd) gene are sterile and lay eggs that display only dorsal structures. The resulting embryos are also dorsalized even if fertilized by wild-type sperm...
- Norvell A, Debec A, Finch D, Gibson L, Thoma B. Squid is required for efficient posterior localization of oskar mRNA during Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Genes Evol. 2005;215:340-9 pubmedThe nuclear-cytoplasmic shuttling heterogeneous nuclear RNA-binding protein (hnRNP) Squid (Sqd) is required during Drosophila melanogaster oogenesis, where it plays a critical role in the regulation of the TGFalpha-like molecule Gurken (..
- Van de Bor V, Hartswood E, Jones C, Finnegan D, Davis I. gurken and the I factor retrotransposon RNAs share common localization signals and machinery. Dev Cell. 2005;9:51-62 pubmed..We propose that the transposition of other elements may exploit the host's RNA transport signals and machinery. ..
- Geng C, Macdonald P. Imp associates with squid and Hrp48 and contributes to localized expression of gurken in the oocyte. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:9508-16 pubmedLocalization and translational control of Drosophila melanogaster gurken and oskar mRNAs rely on the hnRNP proteins Squid and Hrp48, which are complexed with one another in the ovary...
- Burnette J, Hatton A, Lopez A. Trans-acting factors required for inclusion of regulated exons in the Ultrabithorax mRNAs of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1999;151:1517-29 pubmed..Ubx mRNAs was reduced strongly in heterozygotes for hypomorphic alleles of hrp48, which encodes a member of the hnRNP A/B family and is implicated in control of P-element splicing...
- Van Buskirk C, Schupbach T. Half pint regulates alternative splice site selection in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2002;2:343-53 pubmed..In particular, hfp mutants display striking defects in the developmentally regulated splicing of ovarian tumor (otu). Furthermore, transgenic expression of the missing otu splice form can rescue the ovarian phenotypes of hfp. ..
- Roth S, Schupbach T. The relationship between ovarian and embryonic dorsoventral patterning in Drosophila. Development. 1994;120:2245-57 pubmed..A change in distribution of the germ-line signal as caused by fs(1)K10, squid and orb mutations leads to a shift in the orientation of the embryonic dorsoventral axis relative to the anterior-..
- Nakamura M, Okano H, Blendy J, Montell C. Musashi, a neural RNA-binding protein required for Drosophila adult external sensory organ development. Neuron. 1994;13:67-81 pubmed..We propose that the msi protein regulates sensillum development by controlling the expression of target genes at the posttranscriptional level. ..
- Baumgartner R, Stocker H, Hafen E. The RNA-binding proteins FMR1, rasputin and caprin act together with the UBA protein lingerer to restrict tissue growth in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003598 pubmed publisher..Thus, Lig regulates cell proliferation during development in concert with Rin, Capr and FMR1. ..
- Kiebler M, DesGroseillers L. Molecular insights into mRNA transport and local translation in the mammalian nervous system. Neuron. 2000;25:19-28 pubmed
- Kuan Y, Brewer Jensen P, Bai W, Hunter C, Wilson C, Bass S, et al. Drosophila suppressor of sable protein [Su(s)] promotes degradation of aberrant and transposon-derived RNAs. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:5590-603 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that Su(s) binds to certain nascent transcripts and stimulates their degradation by the nuclear exosome. ..
- Molla Herman A, VallÃ©s A, Ganem Elbaz C, Antoniewski C, Huynh J. tRNA processing defects induce replication stress and Chk2-dependent disruption of piRNA transcription. EMBO J. 2015;34:3009-27 pubmed publisher..Our data thus link tRNA processing, DNA replication, and genome defense by small RNAs. This unexpected connection reveals constraints that could shape genome organization during evolution. ..
- Deshpande G, Samuels M, Schedl P. Sex-lethal interacts with splicing factors in vitro and in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:5036-47 pubmed..This model helps explain how the Sxl protein is able to promote the sex-specific splicing of Sxl transcripts, utilizing target sequences that are distant from the regulated splice sites. ..
- Singh A, Lakhotia S. Dynamics of hnRNPs and omega speckles in normal and heat shocked live cell nuclei of Drosophila melanogaster. Chromosoma. 2015;124:367-83 pubmed publisher..of omega speckles and their associated proteins, we used live imaging of GFP tagged hnRNPs (Hrb87F, Hrb98DE, or Squid) in unstressed and stressed Drosophila cells...
- Ji Y, Tulin A. Poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation of heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoproteins modulates splicing. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:3501-13 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we first confirmed that poly(ADP-ribose) (pADPr) interacts with two Drosophila hnRNPs, Squid/hrp40 and Hrb98DE/hrp38, and that this function is regulated by Poly(ADP-ribose) Polymerase 1 (PARP1) and Poly(ADP-..
- Davidson A, Parton R, Rabouille C, Weil T, Davis I. Localized Translation of gurken/TGF-Î± mRNA during Axis Specification Is Controlled by Access to Orb/CPEB on Processing Bodies. Cell Rep. 2016;14:2451-62 pubmed publisher..We propose that controlling the spatial distribution of translational activators is a fundamental mechanism for regulating localized translation. ..
- Lasko P. RNA sorting in Drosophila oocytes and embryos. FASEB J. 1999;13:421-33 pubmed..Prospects for filling gaps in our knowledge about the mechanisms of localizing RNAs and the importance of RNA sorting in regulating gene expression are also explored. ..
- Schnapp B. A glimpse of the machinery. Curr Biol. 1999;9:R725-7 pubmed..Asymmetric mRNA localization within cells plays an important part in both development and physiology. Recent studies have provided a glimpse of the conserved molecular machinery that directs the localization of specific mRNAs. ..
- Boulanger M, Miranda T, Clarke S, Di Fruscio M, Suter B, Lasko P, et al. Characterization of the Drosophila protein arginine methyltransferases DART1 and DART4. Biochem J. 2004;379:283-9 pubmed..The presence of PRMTs in D. melanogaster suggest that flies are a suitable genetic system to study arginine methylation. ..
- Farina K, Singer R. The nuclear connection in RNA transport and localization. Trends Cell Biol. 2002;12:466-72 pubmed..These proteins might link nuclear events, such as RNA splicing, with the subsequent cytoplasmic localization of specific transcripts. ..
- Onorati M, Lazzaro S, Mallik M, Ingrassia A, Carreca A, Singh A, et al. The ISWI chromatin remodeler organizes the hsr? ncRNA-containing omega speckle nuclear compartments. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002096 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight a novel role for chromatin remodelers in organization of nucleoplasmic compartments, providing the first example of interaction between an ATP-dependent chromatin remodeler and a large ncRNA. ..
- Lall S, Francis Lang H, Flament A, Norvell A, Schupbach T, Ish Horowicz D. Squid hnRNP protein promotes apical cytoplasmic transport and localization of Drosophila pair-rule transcripts. Cell. 1999;98:171-80 pubmed..We present evidence that ftz transcript localization involves the Squid (Hrp40) hnRNP protein and that the activity of hnRNP proteins in promoting transcript localization is ..
- Ahlander J, Bosco G. Sqd interacts with the Drosophila retinoblastoma tumor suppressor Rbf. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;383:363-7 pubmed publisher..Our experiment revealed that the RNA-binding protein Squid (Sqd) is a putative interacting partner of RbfN...
- Steinhauer J, Kalderon D. The RNA-binding protein Squid is required for the establishment of anteroposterior polarity in the Drosophila oocyte. Development. 2005;132:5515-25 pubmedThe heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein (hnRNP) Squid (Sqd) is a highly abundant protein that is expected to bind most cellular RNAs...
- Peng X, Mount S. Genetic enhancement of RNA-processing defects by a dominant mutation in B52, the Drosophila gene for an SR protein splicing factor. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:6273-82 pubmed..Reversion of the B52ED dominant allele with X rays led to the isolation of a B52 null allele. Together, these results indicate a critical role for the SR protein B52 in pre-mRNA splicing in vivo. ..
- Olson S, Blanchette M, Park J, Savva Y, Yeo G, Yeakley J, et al. A regulator of Dscam mutually exclusive splicing fidelity. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2007;14:1134-40 pubmed..Thus, the fidelity of mutually exclusive splicing in the exon 6 cluster is governed by an intricate combination of alternative RNA structures and a globally acting splicing repressor. ..
- Wakabayashi Ito N, Belvin M, Bluestein D, Anderson K. fusilli, an essential gene with a maternal role in Drosophila embryonic dorsal-ventral patterning. Dev Biol. 2001;229:44-54 pubmed
- Tan L, Chang J, Costa A, Schedl P. An autoregulatory feedback loop directs the localized expression of the Drosophila CPEB protein Orb in the developing oocyte. Development. 2001;128:1159-69 pubmed..This orb autoregulatory activity ensures the accumulation of high levels of Orb protein at sites in the oocyte that contain localized orb message. ..
- Chen Y, Schupbach T. The role of brinker in eggshell patterning. Mech Dev. 2006;123:395-406 pubmed..Operculum fate results when the sum of the level of activation of both pathways reaches a threshold level, and reduction of activity of one pathway can be compensated to some extent by increase in the other pathway. ..
- Rio D. Half-pint: alternative splicing in the Drosophila ovary. Mol Cell. 2002;9:456-7 pubmed..A new study from the Schüpbach lab implicates a splicing factor, Half-pint, in the regulation of oogenesis in Drosophila. Through processing of the otu mRNA, Hfp appears to control both mitosis and RNA localization in the germline. ..
- Kim Y, Baker B. Isolation of RRM-type RNA-binding protein genes and the analysis of their relatedness by using a numerical approach. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:174-83 pubmed..This result suggests that we have isolated good candidates for both housekeeping and developmentally important genes involved in RNA metabolism. ..
- Schupbach T, Roth S. Dorsoventral patterning in Drosophila oogenesis. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1994;4:502-7 pubmed..This localized signal from the oocyte to the follicle cells appears to initiate a cascade of events leading to dorsal follicle cell differentiation, and delimiting and orienting the future dorsoventral axis of the embryo. ..
- Baxley R, Soshnev A, Koryakov D, Zhimulev I, Geyer P. The role of the Suppressor of Hairy-wing insulator protein in Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;356:398-410 pubmed publisher..2 and CP190, these proteins are not essential for oogenesis. These studies represent the first molecular investigations of Su(Hw) function in the germline, which uncover distinct requirements for Su(Hw) insulator and ovary functions. ..
- Hazelrigg T. Lost in translation gets an oskar. Dev Cell. 2004;6:611-3 pubmed..New results show that the Drosophila heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein (hnRNP) Hrp48 contributes to coordinated RNA localization and translational control in oocytes. ..
- Klusza S, Deng W. poly is required for nurse-cell chromosome dispersal and oocyte polarity in Drosophila. Fly (Austin). 2010;4:128-36 pubmed..Mutations in several genes, including the heterogeneous ribonucleoprotein genes squid (sqd) and hrb27C, the alternative splicing factor gene poly U binding factor 68 kDa (pUf68, also known as half-..
- Mihailovic M, Mihailovich M, Wurth L, Zambelli F, Abaza I, Militti C, et al. Widespread generation of alternative UTRs contributes to sex-specific RNA binding by UNR. RNA. 2012;18:53-64 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that UNR exploits the transcript diversity generated by alternative processing and alternative promoter usage to bind and regulate target genes in a sex-specific manner. ..
- Serbus L, Ferreccio A, Zhukova M, McMorris C, Kiseleva E, Sullivan W. A feedback loop between Wolbachia and the Drosophila gurken mRNP complex influences Wolbachia titer. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:4299-308 pubmed publisher..This effect appears to be mediated by grk mRNA and its protein-binding partners Squid and Hrp48/Hrb27C, implicating the grk mRNA-protein (mRNP) complex as a rate-limiting host factor controlling ..
- Majumdar A, Cesario W, White Grindley E, Jiang H, Ren F, Khan M, et al. Critical role of amyloid-like oligomers of Drosophila Orb2 in the persistence of memory. Cell. 2012;148:515-29 pubmed publisher..However the mutant flies failed to stabilize memory beyond 48 hr. These results support the idea that amyloid-like oligomers of neuronal CPEB are critical for the persistence of long-term memory. ..
- Telonis Scott M, Kopp A, Wayne M, Nuzhdin S, McIntyre L. Sex-specific splicing in Drosophila: widespread occurrence, tissue specificity and evolutionary conservation. Genetics. 2009;181:421-34 pubmed publisher..females. We found that all six loci are themselves spliced sex specifically in gonads and heads, suggesting that regulatory hierarchies based on alternative splicing may be an important feature of sexual differentiation. ..
- Haynes S, Cooper M, Pype S, Stolow D. Involvement of a tissue-specific RNA recognition motif protein in Drosophila spermatogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:2708-15 pubmed
- Li W, Klovstad M, SchÃ¼pbach T. Repression of Gurken translation by a meiotic checkpoint in Drosophila oogenesis is suppressed by a reduction in the dose of eIF1A. Development. 2014;141:3910-21 pubmed publisher..the translational activator Oo18 RNA-binding protein (Orb); this regulation involves the translational repressor Squid (Sqd)...
- Weeks J, Hardin S, Shen J, Lee J, Greenleaf A. Locus-specific variation in phosphorylation state of RNA polymerase II in vivo: correlations with gene activity and transcript processing. Genes Dev. 1993;7:2329-44 pubmed..Finally, using antibodies to hnRNP proteins and splicing components, we have discerned an apparent overall correlation between the presence and processing of nascent transcripts and the presence of Pol IIO. ..
- Dwivedi V, Anandan E, Mony R, Muraleedharan T, Valiathan M, Mutsuddi M, et al. In vivo effects of traditional Ayurvedic formulations in Drosophila melanogaster model relate with therapeutic applications. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e37113 pubmed publisher..Thus, Drosophila, with its very rich genetic tools and well-worked-out developmental pathways promises to be a very good model for examining the cellular and molecular bases of the effects of different Ayurvedic formulations. ..
- Doronkin S, Djagaeva I, Beckendorf S. CSN5/Jab1 mutations affect axis formation in the Drosophila oocyte by activating a meiotic checkpoint. Development. 2002;129:5053-64 pubmed..They also reveal a link between DNA repair, axis formation and the COP9 signalosome, a protein complex that acts in multiple signaling pathways by regulating protein stability. ..
- Allemand E, Dokudovskaya S, Bordonné R, Tazi J. A conserved Drosophila transportin-serine/arginine-rich (SR) protein permits nuclear import of Drosophila SR protein splicing factors and their antagonist repressor splicing factor 1. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:2436-47 pubmed..Together, the results imply that the mechanism by which SR proteins are imported to the nucleus is conserved between Drosophila and humans. ..
- Matunis E, Matunis M, Dreyfuss G. Characterization of the major hnRNP proteins from Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 1992;116:257-69 pubmed..We refer to this configuration, which is also found in the hnRNP A/B proteins of vertebrates, as 2 x RBD-Gly. The sequences of the D...
- Rasmussen M, Kellis M. Accurate gene-tree reconstruction by learning gene- and species-specific substitution rates across multiple complete genomes. Genome Res. 2007;17:1932-42 pubmed