Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Spt5
Alias: CG7626, DSIF, Dmel\CG7626, Dspt5, SPT5, dDSIF, dSpt5, spt5, Spt5, CG7626-PA, Spt5-PA, complementation group C
Species: fruit fly
- Andrulis E, Guzman E, Döring P, Werner J, Lis J. High-resolution localization of Drosophila Spt5 and Spt6 at heat shock genes in vivo: roles in promoter proximal pausing and transcription elongation. Genes Dev. 2000;14:2635-49 pubmedRecent studies have demonstrated roles for Spt4, Spt5, and Spt6 in the regulation of transcriptional elongation in both yeast and humans...
- Mahoney M, Parks A, Ruddy D, Tiong S, Esengil H, Phan A, et al. Presenilin-based genetic screens in Drosophila melanogaster identify novel notch pathway modifiers. Genetics. 2006;172:2309-24 pubmed..The predicted functions of these newly identified genes are consistent with extracellular matrix and vesicular trafficking mechanisms in Presenilin and Notch pathway regulation and suggest a novel role for gamma-tubulin in the pathway. ..
- Jennings B. Pausing for thought: disrupting the early transcription elongation checkpoint leads to developmental defects and tumourigenesis. Bioessays. 2013;35:553-60 pubmed publisher..Analysis of these mutations has revealed that control of transcriptional pausing is critical for a diverse range of biological pathways essential for animal development and survival. ..
- Zhang Z, Wu C, Gilmour D. Analysis of polymerase II elongation complexes by native gel electrophoresis. Evidence for a novel carboxyl-terminal domain-mediated termination mechanism. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:23223-8 pubmed..The gel distinguishes Pol IIA and Pol IIB containing complexes. The interaction of DSIF (Spt4/Spt5) with the elongation complexes can be readily detected, and this association is not dependent on the ..
- Qiu Y, Gilmour D. Identification of Regions in the Spt5 Subunit of DRB Sensitivity-inducing Factor (DSIF) That Are Involved in Promoter-proximal Pausing. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:5555-5570 pubmed publisherDRB sensitivity-inducing factor (DSIF or Spt4/5) is a conserved transcription elongation factor that both inhibits and stimulates transcription elongation in metazoans...
- Ni Z, Saunders A, Fuda N, Yao J, Suarez J, Webb W, et al. P-TEFb is critical for the maturation of RNA polymerase II into productive elongation in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:1161-70 pubmed..Strikingly, all transcription factors tested (P-TEFb, Spt5, Spt6, and TFIIS) and RNA-processing factor CstF50 exited the body of the gene with kinetics indistinguishable from ..
- Li J, Gilmour D. Reconstitution of factor-dependent, promoter proximal pausing in Drosophila nuclear extracts. Methods Mol Biol. 2015;1276:133-52 pubmed publisher..The radiolabeled RNAs are isolated by hybridization to a biotinylated oligonucleotide and captured on magnetic beads. We also describe the use of antibodies to investigate mechanistic aspects of promoter proximal pausing. ..
- Pereira A, Paro R. Pho dynamically interacts with Spt5 to facilitate transcriptional switches at the hsp70 locus. Epigenetics Chromatin. 2017;10:57 pubmed publisher..We found that Pleiohomeotic (Pho), a DNA-binding PcG member, dynamically interacts with Spt5, an elongation factor...
- Eissenberg J, Shilatifard A, Dorokhov N, Michener D. Cdk9 is an essential kinase in Drosophila that is required for heat shock gene expression, histone methylation and elongation factor recruitment. Mol Genet Genomics. 2007;277:101-14 pubmed..Binding of the RNA Polymerase II elongation factor ELL was reduced in knockdown chromosomes, suggesting that ELL is recruited to active polymerase via CTD phosphorylation. ..
- Ivaldi M, Karam C, Corces V. Phosphorylation of histone H3 at Ser10 facilitates RNA polymerase II release from promoter-proximal pausing in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2818-31 pubmed..The heat-shock transcription factor, the promoter-paused form of Pol II (Pol IIo(ser5)), and the pausing factor DSIF (DRB sensitivity-inducing factor) are still present at the hsp70 loci in JIL-1-null mutants, whereas levels of the ..
- Chopra V, Hong J, Levine M. Regulation of Hox gene activity by transcriptional elongation in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2009;19:688-93 pubmed publisher..Stalled Pol II persists in tissues where Ubx and Abd-B are silenced by the PcG complex. We propose that stalling fosters both the rapid induction and precise silencing of Hox gene expression during development. ..
- Boucher L, Ouzounis C, Enright A, Blencowe B. A genome-wide survey of RS domain proteins. RNA. 2001;7:1693-701 pubmed
- Chopra V, Cande J, Hong J, Levine M. Stalled Hox promoters as chromosomal boundaries. Genes Dev. 2009;23:1505-9 pubmed publisher..are dependent on general transcription factors that inhibit Pol II elongation, including components of the DSIF and NELF complexes...
- Papp B, Muller J. Histone trimethylation and the maintenance of transcriptional ON and OFF states by trxG and PcG proteins. Genes Dev. 2006;20:2041-54 pubmed
- Murawska M, Hassler M, Renkawitz Pohl R, Ladurner A, Brehm A. Stress-induced PARP activation mediates recruitment of Drosophila Mi-2 to promote heat shock gene expression. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002206 pubmed publisher..We suggest that stress-induced chromatin PARylation serves to rapidly attract factors that are required for an efficient and timely transcriptional response. ..
- Smith S, Petruk S, Sedkov Y, Cho E, Tillib S, Canaani E, et al. Modulation of heat shock gene expression by the TAC1 chromatin-modifying complex. Nat Cell Biol. 2004;6:162-7 pubmed..3). The subsequent recruitment of several other factors, including Spt5, Spt6 and FACT, is believed to facilitate Pol II elongation through nucleosomes downstream of the start site...
- Doumanis J, Wada K, Kino Y, Moore A, Nukina N. RNAi screening in Drosophila cells identifies new modifiers of mutant huntingtin aggregation. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7275 pubmed publisher..Newly identified modifiers including genes related to nuclear transport, nucleotide processes, and signaling, may be involved in polyglutamine aggregate formation and Huntington disease cascades. ..
- Fay A, Misulovin Z, Li J, Schaaf C, Gause M, Gilmour D, et al. Cohesin selectively binds and regulates genes with paused RNA polymerase. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1624-34 pubmed publisher..Cohesin, NELF, and Spt5 pausing and elongation factor knockdown experiments indicate that cohesin does not inhibit binding of polymerase to ..
- Lagha M, Bothma J, Esposito E, Ng S, Stefanik L, Tsui C, et al. Paused Pol II coordinates tissue morphogenesis in the Drosophila embryo. Cell. 2013;153:976-87 pubmed publisher..We conclude that paused Pol II and transcriptional synchrony are essential for coordinating cell behavior during morphogenesis. ..
- Harvey R, Schuster E, Jennings B. Pleiohomeotic interacts with the core transcription elongation factor Spt5 to regulate gene expression in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e70184 pubmed publisher..b>Spt5 interacts directly with RNA polymerase II and has an essential role in establishing this checkpoint, and also for ..
- Wu C, Lee C, Fan R, Smith M, Yamaguchi Y, Handa H, et al. Molecular characterization of Drosophila NELF. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:1269-79 pubmedNELF and DSIF act together to inhibit transcription elongation in vitro, and are implicated in causing promoter proximal pausing on the hsp70 gene in Drosophila. Here, further characterization of Drosophila NELF is provided...
- Breiling A, O Neill L, D Eliseo D, Turner B, Orlando V. Epigenome changes in active and inactive polycomb-group-controlled regions. EMBO Rep. 2004;5:976-82 pubmed..These PcG-specific repressive marks are maintained by the action of the E(z) HMT, an enzyme that has an important role not only in establishing but also in maintaining PcG repression. ..
- Andrulis E, Werner J, Nazarian A, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, Lis J. The RNA processing exosome is linked to elongating RNA polymerase II in Drosophila. Nature. 2002;420:837-41 pubmed..assays of Drosophila nuclear extracts show that the exosome also associates with the elongation factor dSpt5 and RNA polymerase II...