Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Socs36E
Description: Suppressor of cytokine signaling at 36E
Alias: CG15154, Dmel\CG15154, SOCS, SOCS36E, SocS36E, Socs, anon-EST:Liang-2.2, clone 2.2, dSOCS, dmSocs36E, socs36E, socs36e, socs60E1, suppressor of cytokine signaling at 36E, CG15154-PA, CG15154-PC, CG15154-PD, Socs36E-PA, Socs36E-PC, Socs36E-PD, suppressor of cytokine signaling, suppressor of cytokine signaling 36E
Species: fruit fly
- Paredes J, Welchman D, Poidevin M, Lemaitre B. Negative regulation by amidase PGRPs shapes the Drosophila antibacterial response and protects the fly from innocuous infection. Immunity. 2011;35:770-9 pubmed publisher..Analysis of the immune phenotype of flies lacking all catalytic PGRPs and the Imd regulator Pirk reveals that the Imd-mediated immune response is highly constrained by the existence of multiple negative feedbacks. ..
- Bach E, Ekas L, Ayala Camargo A, Flaherty M, Lee H, Perrimon N, et al. GFP reporters detect the activation of the Drosophila JAK/STAT pathway in vivo. Gene Expr Patterns. 2007;7:323-31 pubmed..By placing a fragment of the Stat92E target gene Socs36E, which contains at least two putative Stat92E binding sites, upstream of GFP, we generated three constructs that ..
- Vidal O, Stec W, Bausek N, Smythe E, Zeidler M. Negative regulation of Drosophila JAK-STAT signalling by endocytic trafficking. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:3457-66 pubmed publisher..As such, disruption in endocytic trafficking represents a potent negative regulator of the disease relevant JAK-STAT signalling cascade. ..
- Buchon N, Broderick N, Kuraishi T, Lemaitre B. Drosophila EGFR pathway coordinates stem cell proliferation and gut remodeling following infection. BMC Biol. 2010;8:152 pubmed publisher..We show that one signaling pathway, the EGFR pathway, is central to all these stages, and its activation at multiple steps could synchronize the complex cellular events leading to gut repair and homeostasis. ..
- Singh S, Zheng Z, Wang H, Oh S, Chen X, Hou S. Competitiveness for the niche and mutual dependence of the germline and somatic stem cells in the Drosophila testis are regulated by the JAK/STAT signaling. J Cell Physiol. 2010;223:500-10 pubmed publisher..We also show that a negative regulator, the suppressor of cytokine signaling 36E (SOCS36E), suppresses JAK/STAT signaling in somatic cells, preventing them from out-competing the ..
- ..b>SOCS36E is both a target gene and negative regulator of JAK/STAT signalling while SOCS44A and SOCS36E represent positive ..
- Rawlings J, Rennebeck G, Harrison S, Xi R, Harrison D. Two Drosophila suppressors of cytokine signaling (SOCS) differentially regulate JAK and EGFR pathway activities. BMC Cell Biol. 2004;5:38 pubmed..The SOCS (Suppressor Of Cytokine Signaling) proteins in mammals are regulators of the JAK pathway that participate in a negative feedback loop, ..
- Buchon N, Broderick N, Chakrabarti S, Lemaitre B. Invasive and indigenous microbiota impact intestinal stem cell activity through multiple pathways in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2009;23:2333-44 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results indicate that gut homeostasis is achieved by a complex interregulation of the immune response, gut microbiota, and stem cell activity...
- Herranz H, Hong X, Hung N, Voorhoeve P, Cohen S. Oncogenic cooperation between SOCS family proteins and EGFR identified using a Drosophila epithelial transformation model. Genes Dev. 2012;26:1602-11 pubmed publisher..In this study, we identify the growth regulatory miRNA bantam and its target, Socs36E, as cooperating factors in EGFR-driven tumorigenesis and metastasis in a Drosophila model of epithelial ..
- Hong X, Hammell M, Ambros V, Cohen S. Immunopurification of Ago1 miRNPs selects for a distinct class of microRNA targets. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:15085-90 pubmed publisher..This study reveals a complex relationship among different features in miRNA-target recognition and poses a new challenge for computational prediction. ..
- Guo Y, Li Z, Lin X. Hs3st-A and Hs3st-B regulate intestinal homeostasis in Drosophila adult midgut. Cell Signal. 2014;26:2317-25 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that Drosophila Hs3st-A and Hs3st-B are involved in the regulation of ISC proliferation and midgut homeostasis maintenance. ..
- Monahan A, Starz Gaiano M. Apontic regulates somatic stem cell numbers in Drosophila testes. BMC Dev Biol. 2016;16:5 pubmed publisher..Simultaneous loss of the STAT regulators apt and Socs36E, or the Stat92E-targeting microRNA miR-279, expanded the somatic stem cell-like population...
- Kuraishi T, Binggeli O, Opota O, Buchon N, Lemaitre B. Genetic evidence for a protective role of the peritrophic matrix against intestinal bacterial infection in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:15966-71 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our analysis of the dcy immune phenotype indicates that the PM plays an important role in Drosophila host defense against enteric pathogens, preventing the damaging action of pore-forming toxins on intestinal cells. ..
- Wang L, Sexton T, Venard C, Giedt M, Guo Q, Chen Q, et al. Pleiotropy of the Drosophila JAK pathway cytokine Unpaired 3 in development and aging. Dev Biol. 2014;395:218-31 pubmed publisher..Thus the upd region serves as a genetically tractable model for coordinate regulation of tandemly duplicated gene families that are commonly found in higher eukaryotes. ..
- Opota O, Vallet Gely I, Vincentelli R, Kellenberger C, Iacovache I, Gonzalez M, et al. Monalysin, a novel ß-pore-forming toxin from the Drosophila pathogen Pseudomonas entomophila, contributes to host intestinal damage and lethality. PLoS Pathog. 2011;7:e1002259 pubmed publisher..Our study together with the well-established action of Bacillus thuringiensis Cry toxins suggests that production of PFTs is a common strategy of entomopathogens to disrupt insect gut homeostasis. ..
- Hoi C, Xiong W, Rebay I. Retinal Axon Guidance Requires Integration of Eya and the Jak/Stat Pathway into Phosphotyrosine-Based Signaling Circuitries in Drosophila. Genetics. 2016;203:1283-95 pubmed publisher..10 hits were nonreceptor tyrosine kinases and multiple members of the Jak/Stat signaling network (hop, Stat92E, Socs36E, and Socs44A), a pathway not previously implicated in axon targeting...
- Arbouzova N, Bach E, Zeidler M. Ken & barbie selectively regulates the expression of a subset of Jak/STAT pathway target genes. Curr Biol. 2006;16:80-8 pubmed..Ken therefore represents a novel regulator of JAK/STAT signaling whose dynamic spatial and temporal expression is capable of selectively modulating the transcriptional repertoire elicited by activated STAT92E in vivo. ..
- Shaw R, Kohlmaier A, Polesello C, Veelken C, Edgar B, Tapon N. The Hippo pathway regulates intestinal stem cell proliferation during Drosophila adult midgut regeneration. Development. 2010;137:4147-58 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the Hpo pathway is a mediator of the regenerative response in the Drosophila midgut. ..
- Singh S, Liu W, Hou S. The adult Drosophila malpighian tubules are maintained by multipotent stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2007;1:191-203 pubmed publisher..Identifying adult kidney stem cells in Drosophila may provide important clues for understanding mammalian kidney repair and regeneration during injury. ..
- Wawersik M, Milutinovich A, Casper A, Matunis E, Williams B, Van Doren M. Somatic control of germline sexual development is mediated by the JAK/STAT pathway. Nature. 2005;436:563-7 pubmed..Our findings provide direct evidence that the JAK/STAT pathway mediates a key signal from the somatic gonad that regulates male germline sexual development. ..
- Zhou J, Florescu S, Boettcher A, Luo L, Dutta D, Kerr G, et al. Dpp/Gbb signaling is required for normal intestinal regeneration during infection. Dev Biol. 2015;399:189-203 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Dpp/BMP signaling plays an important role in EBs to maintain tissue integrity and homeostasis during pathogenic infections. ..
- Cordero J, Ridgway R, Valeri N, Nixon C, Frame M, Muller W, et al. c-Src drives intestinal regeneration and transformation. EMBO J. 2014;33:1474-91 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we demonstrate a novel essential role for Src in intestinal stem/progenitor cell proliferation and tumourigenesis initiation in vivo. ..
- Crona F, Holmqvist P, Tang M, Singla B, Vakifahmetoglu Norberg H, Fantur K, et al. The Brakeless co-regulator can directly activate and repress transcription in early Drosophila embryos. Dev Biol. 2015;407:173-81 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the transcriptional co-regulator Brakeless can either activate or repress transcription depending on context. ..
- Tarayrah L, Herz H, Shilatifard A, Chen X. Histone demethylase dUTX antagonizes JAK-STAT signaling to maintain proper gene expression and architecture of the Drosophila testis niche. Development. 2013;140:1014-23 pubmed publisher..tetratricopeptide repeat gene on the X chromosome (dUTX) maintains active transcription of the Suppressor of cytokine signaling at 36E (Socs36E) gene by removing the repressive H3K27me3 modification near its transcription start site...
- Stec W, Vidal O, Zeidler M. Drosophila SOCS36E negatively regulates JAK/STAT pathway signaling via two separable mechanisms. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:3000-9 pubmed publisher..We characterize the Drosophila JAK/STAT pathway regulator SOCS36E and show that it functions via two independent mechanisms...
- Ren W, Zhang Y, Li M, Wu L, Wang G, Baeg G, et al. Windpipe controls Drosophila intestinal homeostasis by regulating JAK/STAT pathway via promoting receptor endocytosis and lysosomal degradation. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005180 pubmed publisher..Together, these data led us to propose that Wdp acts as a novel negative feedback regulator of the JAK/STAT pathway in regulating intestinal homeostasis. ..
- Monahan A, Starz Gaiano M. Socs36E limits STAT signaling via Cullin2 and a SOCS-box independent mechanism in the Drosophila egg chamber. Mech Dev. 2015;138 Pt 3:313-27 pubmed publisher..In this study, we investigated how the SOCS family member Suppressor of Cytokine Signaling at 36E (Socs36E) attenuates Janus Kinase/Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription (Jak/STAT) ..
- Chakrabarti S, Dudzic J, Li X, Collas E, Boquete J, Lemaitre B. Remote Control of Intestinal Stem Cell Activity by Haemocytes in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006089 pubmed publisher..It also reveals that release of Upds by haemocytes coordinates the wound-healing program in multiple tissues, including the gut, an organ whose integrity is critical to fly survival. ..
- Monahan A, Starz Gaiano M. Socs36E attenuates STAT signaling to optimize motile cell specification in the Drosophila ovary. Dev Biol. 2013;379:152-66 pubmed publisher..Here, we find that Suppressor of cytokine signaling at 36E (Socs36E) is a necessary negative regulator of JAK/STAT signaling during border cell ..
- Cherry C, MATUNIS E. Epigenetic regulation of stem cell maintenance in the Drosophila testis via the nucleosome-remodeling factor NURF. Cell Stem Cell. 2010;6:557-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, local signals cooperate with specific chromatin-remodeling complexes in intact niches to coordinately regulate a common set of target genes to prevent premature stem cell differentiation. ..
- Colodner K, Feany M. Glial fibrillary tangles and JAK/STAT-mediated glial and neuronal cell death in a Drosophila model of glial tauopathy. J Neurosci. 2010;30:16102-13 pubmed publisher..In summary, we present a genetically tractable model of glial fibrillary tau tangle formation and identify JAK/STAT signaling as mediating the death of both glia and neurons in this model. ..
- Amoyel M, Anderson J, Suisse A, Glasner J, Bach E. Socs36E Controls Niche Competition by Repressing MAPK Signaling in the Drosophila Testis. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005815 pubmed publisher..b>Socs36E, which encodes a negative feedback inhibitor of the JAK/STAT pathway, was the first identified regulator of niche ..
- Chabu C, Xu T. Oncogenic Ras stimulates Eiger/TNF exocytosis to promote growth. Development. 2014;141:4729-39 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight important cell-intrinsic and cell-extrinsic roles of exocytosis during oncogenic growth and provide a new class of synthetic suppressors for targeted therapy approaches. ..
- Grönholm J, Kaustio M, Myllymäki H, Kallio J, Saarikettu J, Kronhamn J, et al. Not4 enhances JAK/STAT pathway-dependent gene expression in Drosophila and in human cells. FASEB J. 2012;26:1239-50 pubmed publisher..However, Not4 is required for binding of Stat92E to its DNA recognition sequence in the TotM gene promoter. In summary, Not4/CNOT4 is a novel positive regulator of the JAK/STAT pathway in Drosophila and in humans. ..
- Woodcock K, Kierdorf K, Pouchelon C, Vivancos V, Dionne M, Geissmann F. Macrophage-derived upd3 cytokine causes impaired glucose homeostasis and reduced lifespan in Drosophila fed a lipid-rich diet. Immunity. 2015;42:133-44 pubmed
- Fernando M, Kounatidis I, Ligoxygakis P. Loss of Trabid, a new negative regulator of the drosophila immune-deficiency pathway at the level of TAK1, reduces life span. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004117 pubmed publisher..These results indicate an elaborate and multi-tiered mechanism for regulating TAK1 activity and modulating its immune signal. ..
- Classen A, Bunker B, Harvey K, Vaccari T, Bilder D. A tumor suppressor activity of Drosophila Polycomb genes mediated by JAK-STAT signaling. Nat Genet. 2009;41:1150-5 pubmed publisher..These findings show that PcG proteins can restrict growth directly by silencing mitogenic signaling pathways, shedding light on an epigenetic mechanism underlying tumor suppression. ..
- Almudi I, Corominas M, Serras F. Competition between SOCS36E and Drk modulates Sevenless receptor tyrosine kinase activity. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:3857-62 pubmed publisher..The Drosophila suppressor of cytokine signalling 36E (SOCS36E) protein contains an SH2 domain and acts as a Sev signalling attenuator...
- Li Q, Li S, Mana Capelli S, Roth Flach R, Danai L, Amcheslavsky A, et al. The conserved misshapen-warts-Yorkie pathway acts in enteroblasts to regulate intestinal stem cells in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2014;31:291-304 pubmed publisher..These findings also provide a model in which to study requirements for MAP4K4-related kinases in MST1/2-independent regulation of LATS and YAP. ..
- Issigonis M, Matunis E. The Drosophila BCL6 homolog Ken and Barbie promotes somatic stem cell self-renewal in the testis niche. Dev Biol. 2012;368:181-92 pubmed publisher..Studies of ken may inform our understanding of its vertebrate orthologue B-Cell Lymphoma 6 (BCL6) and how misregulation of this oncogene leads to human lymphomas. ..
- Osman D, Buchon N, Chakrabarti S, Huang Y, Su W, Poidevin M, et al. Autocrine and paracrine unpaired signaling regulate intestinal stem cell maintenance and division. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5944-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results show that Upd ligands are required to maintain the midgut homeostasis under both normal and pathological states. ..
- Herranz H, Hong X, Cohen S. Mutual repression by bantam miRNA and Capicua links the EGFR/MAPK and Hippo pathways in growth control. Curr Biol. 2012;22:651-7 pubmed publisher..Feedback regulation by bantam on Capicua provides a means to link signal propagation by the EGFR pathway to activity of the Hippo pathway and may play an important role in integration of these two pathways in growth control. ..
- Gunawan F, Arandjelovic M, Godt D. The Maf factor Traffic jam both enables and inhibits collective cell migration in Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2013;140:2808-17 pubmed publisher..has a tripartite negative effect on the core pathway: a decrease in Slbo, an increase in the Jak/Stat inhibitor Socs36E, and a Slbo-independent reduction of DEcad...
- Markstein M, Dettorre S, Cho J, Neumüller R, Craig Müller S, Perrimon N. Systematic screen of chemotherapeutics in Drosophila stem cell tumors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:4530-5 pubmed publisher..An immediate implication of our findings is that supplementing traditional chemotherapeutics with anti-inflammatories may reduce tumor recurrence. ..