Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SMC2
Description: Structural maintenance of chromosomes 2
Alias: AAF58197, CG10212, DmSMC2, Dmel\CG10212, Smc2, dSMC2, smc-2, structural maintenance of chromosomes 2, CG10212-PA, SMC2-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Harvey S, Krien M, O Connell M. Structural maintenance of chromosomes (SMC) proteins, a family of conserved ATPases. Genome Biol. 2002;3:REVIEWS3003 pubmed..Recent studies are beginning to decipher molecular details of how these processes are carried out. ..
- Buster D, Daniel S, Nguyen H, Windler S, Skwarek L, Peterson M, et al. SCFSlimb ubiquitin ligase suppresses condensin II-mediated nuclear reorganization by degrading Cap-H2. J Cell Biol. 2013;201:49-63 pubmed publisher..Therefore, SCF(Slimb)-mediated down-regulation of condensin II is required to maintain proper organization and morphology of the interphase nucleus. ..
- Liu Y, Ge Q, Chan B, Liu H, Singh S, Manley J, et al. Whole-animal genome-wide RNAi screen identifies networks regulating male germline stem cells in Drosophila. Nat Commun. 2016;7:12149 pubmed publisher..We also find that mitosis/cytokinesis proteins are especially important for male GSC maintenance. Our findings provide valuable insights and resources for studying stem cell regulation at the organismal level. ..
- Beck E, Llopart A. Widespread Positive Selection Drives Differentiation of Centromeric Proteins in the Drosophila melanogaster subgroup. Sci Rep. 2015;5:17197 pubmed publisher..e., SMC2, SMC4, Cap-H, Cap-D2, and Cap-G) and HP1s...
- Nikalayevich E, Ohkura H. The NuRD nucleosome remodelling complex and NHK-1 kinase are required for chromosome condensation in oocytes. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:566-75 pubmed..We further show that NHK-1 is important for chromosome condensation during mitosis as well as in oocytes. ..
- Herzog S, Nagarkar Jaiswal S, Urban E, Riemer A, Fischer S, Heidmann S. Functional dissection of the Drosophila melanogaster condensin subunit Cap-G reveals its exclusive association with condensin I. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003463 pubmed publisher..condensin I and condensin II, which contain the same structural maintenance of chromosomes (SMC) subunits SMC2 and SMC4, but differ in their composition of non-SMC subunits...
- D Avino P, Archambault V, Przewloka M, Zhang W, Laue E, Glover D. Isolation of protein complexes involved in mitosis and cytokinesis from Drosophila cultured cells. Methods Mol Biol. 2009;545:99-112 pubmed publisher..Although this method has proven very successful in isolating mitotic and cytokinetic complexes, it can also be used to characterise protein complexes involved in many other cellular processes. ..
- White G, Erickson H. The coiled coils of cohesin are conserved in animals, but not in yeast. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4674 pubmed publisher..We reported recently that the coiled coils of mammalian condensin (SMC2/4) showed moderate sequence divergence (approximately 10-15%) consistent with their functioning as spacer rods...
- Radford S, Goley E, Baxter K, McMahan S, Sekelsky J. Drosophila ERCC1 is required for a subset of MEI-9-dependent meiotic crossovers. Genetics. 2005;170:1737-45 pubmed..We conclude that MEI-9 can generate some meiotic crossovers in an ERCC1-independent manner. ..