Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SmB
Description: Small ribonucleoprotein particle protein SmB
Alias: CG5352, Dmel\CG5352, SYM10, Sm B, SmB1, dSmB, l(2)SH0509, l(2)SH2 0509, smb, snRNP B, small ribonucleoprotein particle protein SmB, CG5352-PB, SmB-PB, lethal (2) SH0509, polypeptide B, small ribonucleoprotein particle protein B
Species: fruit fly
- Gonsalvez G, Rajendra T, Wen Y, Praveen K, Matera A. Sm proteins specify germ cell fate by facilitating oskar mRNA localization. Development. 2010;137:2341-51 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that Drosophila SmB and SmD3 are specific components of the oskar messenger ribonucleoprotein (mRNP), proper localization of which is ..
- Gonsalvez G, Rajendra T, Tian L, Matera A. The Sm-protein methyltransferase, dart5, is essential for germ-cell specification and maintenance. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1077-89 pubmed..elegans show that Sm proteins are required for germ-granule localization, we propose that Sm protein methylation is a pivotal event in germ-cell development. ..
- Boulanger M, Miranda T, Clarke S, Di Fruscio M, Suter B, Lasko P, et al. Characterization of the Drosophila protein arginine methyltransferases DART1 and DART4. Biochem J. 2004;379:283-9 pubmed..The presence of PRMTs in D. melanogaster suggest that flies are a suitable genetic system to study arginine methylation. ..
- Labourier E, Rio D. Purification of Drosophila snRNPs and characterization of two populations of functional U1 particles. RNA. 2001;7:457-70 pubmed
- Rajendra T, Gonsalvez G, Walker M, Shpargel K, Salz H, Matera A. A Drosophila melanogaster model of spinal muscular atrophy reveals a function for SMN in striated muscle. J Cell Biol. 2007;176:831-41 pubmed..The sarcomeric localization of Smn is conserved in mouse myofibrils. These observations suggest a muscle-specific function for SMN and underline the importance of this tissue in modulating SMA severity. ..
- Gonsalvez G, Praveen K, Hicks A, Tian L, Matera A. Sm protein methylation is dispensable for snRNP assembly in Drosophila melanogaster. RNA. 2008;14:878-87 pubmed publisher..protein binds with high affinity to symmetric dimethylarginine (sDMA) residues present on the C-terminal tails of SmB, SmD1, and SmD3. This post-translational modification is thought to play a crucial role in snRNP assembly...
- Anne J. Arginine methylation of SmB is required for Drosophila germ cell development. Development. 2010;137:2819-28 pubmed publisher..In this study, a tissue-specific function of arginine methylation of the SmB protein was identified in Drosophila...
- Azzouz T, Schumperli D. Evolutionary conservation of the U7 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein in Drosophila melanogaster. RNA. 2003;9:1532-41 pubmed..cells indicate that the Drosophila Lsm10 and Lsm11 orthologs (dLsm10 and dLsm11) associate with each other and with Sm B, but not with Sm D1 and D2...
- Shulman J, Imboywa S, Giagtzoglou N, Powers M, Hu Y, Devenport D, et al. Functional screening in Drosophila identifies Alzheimer's disease susceptibility genes and implicates Tau-mediated mechanisms. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:870-7 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight cell adhesion pathways as important in Tau toxicity and AD susceptibility and demonstrate the power of model organism genetic screens for the functional follow-up of human GWAS. ..
- Brunet C, Quan T, Craft J. Comparison of the Drosophila melanogaster, human and murine Sm B cDNAs: evolutionary conservation. Gene. 1993;124:269-73 pubmedTo analyze the evolutionary stability of the Sm B polypeptides, the cDNA nucleotide (nt) sequence was derived for the Drosophila melanogaster Sm B polypeptide and compared to the cDNAs encoding human and murine Sm B...