Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sls
Alias: 0020/01, CG18242, CG18245, CG18857, CG1915, CT41299, D-Titin, D-titin, Dmel\CG1915, Ket, MCP, SLS, Sls, TITIN, Titin, anon-CREST, d-titin, ket, kettin, l(3)62Ca, l(3)Ca, l(3)S002001, l(3)dre8, l(3)j1D7, l(3)rL182, sal, sam, titin, sallimus, CG1915-PA, CG1915-PD, CG1915-PP, CG1915-PQ, CG1915-PR, CG1915-PS, CG1915-PT, CG1915-PU, CG1915-PV, CG1915-PW, CG1915-PX, CG1915-PY, CG1915-PZ, D-Titin/Kettin, D-titan, D-titin, D-titin-KZ, dtitin, kettin, lethal (3) S002001, lethal(3)62Ca, mitotic chromosomal protein, salimus, sls-PA, sls-PD, sls-PP, sls-PQ, sls-PR, sls-PS, sls-PT, sls-PU, sls-PV, sls-PW, sls-PX, sls-PY, sls-PZ, titin
Species: fruit fly
- Katzemich A, Liao K, Czerniecki S, Schock F. Alp/Enigma family proteins cooperate in Z-disc formation and myofibril assembly. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003342 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Alp/Enigma family members cooperate in Z-disc assembly and myofibril formation; and we propose, based on sequence analysis, a novel class of PDZ domain likely involved in ?-actinin binding. ..
- Hakeda S, Endo S, Saigo K. Requirements of Kettin, a giant muscle protein highly conserved in overall structure in evolution, for normal muscle function, viability, and flight activity of Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2000;148:101-14 pubmedb>Kettin is a giant muscle protein originally identified in insect flight muscle Z-discs...
- Champagne M, Edwards K, Erickson H, Kiehart D. Drosophila stretchin-MLCK is a novel member of the Titin/Myosin light chain kinase family. J Mol Biol. 2000;300:759-77 pubmed..Similarly, the 5' end of the Stretchin-Mlck transcription unit can also express transcripts encoding kettin and Unc-89-like isoforms, which share no sequences with the MLCK-like transcripts...
- Zhang Y, Featherstone D, Davis W, Rushton E, Broadie K. Drosophila D-titin is required for myoblast fusion and skeletal muscle striation. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 17):3103-15 pubmed..This sequence includes the recently characterized kettin, and includes all known partial D-Titin sequences...
- Wang M, Champion L, Biessmann H, Mason J. Mapping a mutator, mu2, which increases the frequency of terminal deletions in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1994;245:598-607 pubmed..In the course of these experiments, three additional, presumptive mutant alleles were identified, suggesting that other mutator alleles remain undiscovered in many standard laboratory stocks. ..
- Jani K, Schock F. Zasp is required for the assembly of functional integrin adhesion sites. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:1583-97 pubmed publisher..Finally, Zasp interacts genetically with integrins, showing that it regulates integrin function. Our observations point to an important function for Zasp in the assembly of integrin adhesion sites both in cell culture and in tissues. ..
- Clark K, Bland J, Beckerle M. The Drosophila muscle LIM protein, Mlp84B, cooperates with D-titin to maintain muscle structural integrity. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2066-77 pubmed..Within the Z-disc, Mlp84B is colocalized with the N-terminus of D-titin, a protein crucial for sarcomere organization and stretch mechanics...
- Beuchle D, Schwarz H, Langegger M, Koch I, Aberle H. Drosophila MICAL regulates myofilament organization and synaptic structure. Mech Dev. 2007;124:390-406 pubmed..Whereas contractile elements are strongly deranged, the proposed organizer of sarcomeric structure, D-Titin, is much less affected...
- Sliter T, Henrich V, Tucker R, Gilbert L. The genetics of the Dras3-Roughened-ecdysoneless chromosomal region (62B3-4 to 62D3-4) in Drosophila melanogaster: analysis of recessive lethal mutations. Genetics. 1989;123:327-36 pubmed..This developmental block is overcome by dietary 20-hydroxyecdysone, suggesting that a second locus in the region in addition to l(3)ecd may play a role in the regulation of late larval ecdysteroid levels. ..
- Artero R, Prokop A, Paricio N, Begemann G, Pueyo I, Mlodzik M, et al. The muscleblind gene participates in the organization of Z-bands and epidermal attachments of Drosophila muscles and is regulated by Dmef2. Dev Biol. 1998;195:131-43 pubmed..mbl, therefore, may act as a critical element in the execution of two Dmef2-dependent processes in the terminal differentiation of muscles. ..
- Lakey A, Labeit S, Gautel M, Ferguson C, Barlow D, Leonard K, et al. Kettin, a large modular protein in the Z-disc of insect muscles. EMBO J. 1993;12:2863-71 pubmed..We suggest that the protein acts as scaffolding in the Z-disc and we call the protein kettin. The Ca2+ activated protease, calpain, disrupts the Z-disc of striated muscle, releasing alpha-actinin intact...
- Kennison J, Tamkun J. Dosage-dependent modifiers of polycomb and antennapedia mutations in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:8136-40 pubmed..e., Sex combs reduced (Scr), Brista (Ba), trithorax (trx), Polycomb (Pc), Polycomblike (Pcl), and Sex comb on midleg (Scm)]. Mutations in several of the additional loci identified here have also been shown to have homoeotic phenotypes. ..
- Kolmerer B, Clayton J, Benes V, Allen T, Ferguson C, Leonard K, et al. Sequence and expression of the kettin gene in Drosophila melanogaster and Caenorhabditis elegans. J Mol Biol. 2000;296:435-48 pubmedb>Kettin is a large modular protein associated with thin filaments in the Z-disc region of insect muscles. The sequence of a 21.3 kb contig of the Drosophila gene has been determined...
- Nir R, Grossman R, Paroush Z, Volk T. Phosphorylation of the Drosophila melanogaster RNA-binding protein HOW by MAPK/ERK enhances its dimerization and activity. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002632 pubmed publisher..We also identify the sallimus/D-titin (sls) gene as a novel muscle target of HOW-mediated negative regulation and further show that this ..
- Langer C, Ejsmont R, Schönbauer C, Schnorrer F, Tomancak P. In vivo RNAi rescue in Drosophila melanogaster with genomic transgenes from Drosophila pseudoobscura. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8928 pubmed publisher..The Drosophila pseudoobscura fosmid library is designed for seamless cross-species transgenesis and can be readily used to demonstrate specificity of RNAi phenotypes in a systematic manner. ..
- Vining M, Bradley P, Comeaux C, Andrew D. Organ positioning in Drosophila requires complex tissue-tissue interactions. Dev Biol. 2005;287:19-34 pubmed..These data further the understanding of how organ morphology and position are determined by three-dimensional constraints and guidance cues provided by neighboring tissues. ..
- Bonn B, Rudolf A, Hornbruch Freitag C, Daum G, Kuckwa J, Kastl L, et al. Myosin heavy chain-like localizes at cell contact sites during Drosophila myoblast fusion and interacts in vitro with Rolling pebbles 7. Exp Cell Res. 2013;319:402-16 pubmed publisher..We thus propose that Mhcl functions redundantly to other myosin heavy chains in myoblasts. Lastly, we found that the protein is detectable adjacent to the sarcomeric Z-discs, suggesting an additional function in mature muscles. ..
- Röper K, Gregory S, Brown N. The 'spectraplakins': cytoskeletal giants with characteristics of both spectrin and plakin families. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:4215-25 pubmed..These include linking the plasma membrane and the cytoskeleton, linking together different elements of the cytoskeleton and organising membrane domains. ..
- Pokholkova G, Zhimulev I. [Cytogenetic analysis of two ecdysone-regulated puffs 62C and 62E in Drosophila melanogaster]. Genetika. 2002;38:1626-34 pubmed..In the 62C puff region. 26 mutations have been found that proved to be allelic to mutations in the D-Titin gene. The giant D-Titin gene is essential for the sarcomeric organization of striated muscles...
- Orfanos Z, Leonard K, Elliott C, Katzemich A, Bullard B, Sparrow J. Sallimus and the dynamics of sarcomere assembly in Drosophila flight muscles. J Mol Biol. 2015;427:2151-8 pubmed publisher..we use a transgenic line with a green fluorescent protein (GFP) exon inserted into the Z-disc-proximal portion of sallimus (Sls), also known as Drosophila titin, to observe sarcomere assembly during IFM development...
- Domsch K, Ezzeddine N, Nguyen H. Abba is an essential TRIM/RBCC protein to maintain the integrity of sarcomeric cytoarchitecture. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:3314-23 pubmed publisher..Abba is localized at larval Z-discs, and genetic evidence indicates that abba interacts with ?-actinin, kettin/D-titin and mlp84B, genes that encode important Z-disc proteins for stable myofibrillar organization and optimal ..
- Bulchand S, Menon S, George S, Chia W. Muscle wasted: a novel component of the Drosophila histone locus body required for muscle integrity. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:2697-707 pubmed publisher..We speculate that mute regulates terminal muscle differentiation possibly through heterochromatic reorganisation. ..
- Taylor M. Muscle differentiation: how two cells become one. Curr Biol. 2002;12:R224-8 pubmed..Future studies will establish the extent to which the molecular mechanisms of myoblast fusion are conserved between Drosophila and other animals, as found in other aspects of myogenesis. ..
- Elhanany Tamir H, Yu Y, Shnayder M, Jain A, WELTE M, Volk T. Organelle positioning in muscles requires cooperation between two KASH proteins and microtubules. J Cell Biol. 2012;198:833-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results describe a novel mechanism of nuclear spacing in striated muscles controlled by the cooperative activity of MSP-300, Klar, and astral MTs, and demonstrate its physiological significance. ..
- Petruk S, Smith S, Sedkov Y, Mazo A. Association of trxG and PcG proteins with the bxd maintenance element depends on transcriptional activity. Development. 2008;135:2383-90 pubmed publisher..There is, however, no overall synergism or antagonism between and within the trxG and PcG proteins and, instead, only subsets of trxG proteins act synergistically. ..
- Bullard B, Burkart C, Labeit S, Leonard K. The function of elastic proteins in the oscillatory contraction of insect flight muscle. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2005;26:479-85 pubmed..Several proteins in the flight muscle may determine the overall stiffness of the fibres. The Drosophila sallimus (sls) gene codes for multiple isoforms with a modular structure made up of immunoglobulin (Ig) and elastic PEVK ..
- Fernandes I, SchÃ¶ck F. The nebulin repeat protein Lasp regulates I-band architecture and filament spacing in myofibrils. J Cell Biol. 2014;206:559-72 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, introducing a single amino acid change into the two nebulin repeats of Lasp demonstrated different roles for each domain and established Lasp as a suitable system for studying nebulin repeat function. ..
- Harris K, Beckendorf S. Different Wnt signals act through the Frizzled and RYK receptors during Drosophila salivary gland migration. Development. 2007;134:2017-25 pubmed..Our results suggest that both the Wnt4-frizzled pathway and a separate Wnt5-derailed pathway are needed for proper salivary gland migration. ..
- Miller M, Lekkas P, Braddock J, Farman G, Ballif B, Irving T, et al. Aging enhances indirect flight muscle fiber performance yet decreases flight ability in Drosophila. Biophys J. 2008;95:2391-401 pubmed publisher..We also speculate that a lack of MgATP due to damaged mitochondria accounts for the decreased flight performance. ..
- Kennison J. Transcriptional activation of Drosophila homeotic genes from distant regulatory elements. Trends Genet. 1993;9:75-9 pubmed..Some of the trans-acting proteins may facilitate interactions between cis-regulatory elements and the promoter by bringing together distant chromosomal elements. ..
- Chechenova M, Bryantsev A, Cripps R. The Drosophila Z-disc protein Z(210) is an adult muscle isoform of Zasp52, which is required for normal myofibril organization in indirect flight muscles. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:3718-26 pubmed publisher..These studies expand our knowledge of Zasp isoforms and their functions in muscle. Given the role of Zasp proteins in mammalian muscle development and disease, our results have relevance to mammalian muscle biology. ..
- Dialynas G, Speese S, Budnik V, Geyer P, Wallrath L. The role of Drosophila Lamin C in muscle function and gene expression. Development. 2010;137:3067-77 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate connections among the Drosophila A-type lamin, hormone-induced gene expression and muscle function. ..
- González Morales N, Holenka T, Schock F. Filamin actin-binding and titin-binding fulfill distinct functions in Z-disc cohesion. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006880 pubmed publisher..We identify the filamin domains required for interaction with the titin ortholog Sallimus, and we demonstrate a genetic interaction of filamin with titin and actin...
- Gutierrez L, Zurita M, Kennison J, Vázquez M. The Drosophila trithorax group gene tonalli (tna) interacts genetically with the Brahma remodeling complex and encodes an SP-RING finger protein. Development. 2003;130:343-54 pubmed..We propose that Tna is involved in postranslational modification of transcription complexes. ..
- Kulke M, Neagoe C, Kolmerer B, Minajeva A, Hinssen H, Bullard B, et al. Kettin, a major source of myofibrillar stiffness in Drosophila indirect flight muscle. J Cell Biol. 2001;154:1045-57 pubmedb>Kettin is a high molecular mass protein of insect muscle that in the sarcomeres binds to actin and alpha-actinin...
- Bradley P, Myat M, Comeaux C, Andrew D. Posterior migration of the salivary gland requires an intact visceral mesoderm and integrin function. Dev Biol. 2003;257:249-62 pubmed..These findings suggest that salivary tube dimensions may be an intrinsic property of salivary gland cells. ..
- Carrasco Rando M, Ruiz Gomez M. Mind bomb 2, a founder myoblast-specific protein, regulates myoblast fusion and muscle stability. Development. 2008;135:849-57 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Mib2 acts sequentially in myoblast fusion and sarcomeric stability by two separable processes involving distinct functions of Mib2. ..
- Oas S, Bryantsev A, Cripps R. Arrest is a regulator of fiber-specific alternative splicing in the indirect flight muscles of Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2014;206:895-908 pubmed publisher..Our observations provide insight into a transcriptional and splicing regulatory network for muscle fiber specification. ..
- Vigoreaux J. Genetics of the Drosophila flight muscle myofibril: a window into the biology of complex systems. Bioessays. 2001;23:1047-63 pubmed
- Taylor M. Muscle differentiation: signalling cell fusion. Curr Biol. 2003;13:R964-6 pubmed
- Haye A, Albert J, Rooman M. Modeling the Drosophila gene cluster regulation network for muscle development. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e90285 pubmed publisher..The non-uniqueness of the solutions and the variable agreement with experimental connections were discussed in the context of the different hypotheses underlying this type of approach. ..
- Fabian L, Xia X, Venkitaramani D, Johansen K, Johansen J, Andrew D, et al. Titin in insect spermatocyte spindle fibers associates with microtubules, actin, myosin and the matrix proteins skeletor, megator and chromator. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2190-204 pubmedb>Titin, the giant elastic protein found in muscles, is present in spindles of crane-fly and locust spermatocytes as determined by immunofluorescence staining using three antibodies, each raised against a different, spatially separated ..
- LaBeau DiMenna E, Clark K, Bauman K, Parker D, Cripps R, Geisbrecht E. Thin, a Trim32 ortholog, is essential for myofibril stability and is required for the integrity of the costamere in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:17983-8 pubmed publisher..Due to the high conservation of these structures in animals, we demonstrate a previously unknown role for TRIM32 proteins in myofibril stability. ..
- Gellon G, Harding K, McGinnis N, Martin M, McGinnis W. A genetic screen for modifiers of Deformed homeotic function identifies novel genes required for head development. Development. 1997;124:3321-31 pubmed..We propose that apt acts in parallel to, or as a cofactor with, HOX proteins to regulate homeotic targets in the ventral gnathal region. ..
- Kassis J. Unusual properties of regulatory DNA from the Drosophila engrailed gene: three "pairing-sensitive" sites within a 1.6-kb region. Genetics. 1994;136:1025-38 pubmed..I propose that engrailed PS sites normally act to promote interactions between distantly located engrailed regulatory sites and the engrailed promoter. ..
- Jumbo Lucioni P, Bu S, Harbison S, Slaughter J, Mackay T, Moellering D, et al. Nuclear genomic control of naturally occurring variation in mitochondrial function in Drosophila melanogaster. BMC Genomics. 2012;13:659 pubmed publisher..One of these genes, sallimus (sls), encodes a component of the muscle sarcomere...
- Leake M, Wilson D, Bullard B, Simmons R. The elasticity of single kettin molecules using a two-bead laser-tweezers assay. FEBS Lett. 2003;535:55-60 pubmedb>Kettin is a high molecular mass protein of insect muscle associated with thin filaments and alpha-actinin in the Z-disc...
- Baker D, Meadows L, Wang J, Dow J, Russell S. Variable sexually dimorphic gene expression in laboratory strains of Drosophila melanogaster. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:454 pubmed..Much of this variation reflects sex-specific challenges associated with divergent physiological trade-offs, morphology and regulatory pathways operating within males and females. ..
- Harding K, Gellon G, McGinnis N, McGinnis W. A screen for modifiers of Deformed function in Drosophila. Genetics. 1995;140:1339-52 pubmed..Products of two of these genes, sallimus and moira, have been previously proposed as homeotic activators since they suppress the dominant adult phenotype ..
- Kreisköther N, Reichert N, Buttgereit D, Hertenstein A, Fischbach K, Renkawitz Pohl R. Drosophila rolling pebbles colocalises and putatively interacts with alpha-Actinin and the Sls isoform Zormin in the Z-discs of the sarcomere and with Dumbfounded/Kirre, alpha-Actinin and Zormin in the terminal Z-discs. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2006;27:93-106 pubmed..Here it overlaps with alpha-Actinin (alpha-Actn) and the N-terminus of D-Titin/Kettin/Zormin in the Z-line of the sarcomeres...
- Kim S, Shilagardi K, Zhang S, Hong S, Sens K, Bo J, et al. A critical function for the actin cytoskeleton in targeted exocytosis of prefusion vesicles during myoblast fusion. Dev Cell. 2007;12:571-86 pubmed..These studies reveal a surprising cell-type specificity of Sltr-mediated actin polymerization in myoblast fusion, and demonstrate that targeted exocytosis of prefusion vesicles is a critical step prior to plasma membrane fusion. ..
- Perkins A, Ellis S, Asghari P, Shamsian A, Moore E, Tanentzapf G. Integrin-mediated adhesion maintains sarcomeric integrity. Dev Biol. 2010;338:15-27 pubmed publisher..Our results show that integrin-mediated adhesion is essential for maintaining sarcomeric integrity and illustrate that the seemingly stable adhesive contacts underlying sarcomeric architecture are inherently dynamic...
- Kenny P, Liston E, Higgins D. Molecular evolution of immunoglobulin and fibronectin domains in titin and related muscle proteins. Gene. 1999;232:11-23 pubmedThe family of regulatory and structural muscle proteins, which includes the giant kinases titin, twitchin and projectin, has sequences composed predominantly of serially linked immunoglobulin I set (Ig) and fibronectin type III (FN3) ..
- Hossain M, Kurokawa K, Sekimizu K. Induction of fusion-competent myoblast-specific gene expression during myogenic differentiation of Drosophila Schneider cells by DNA double-strand breaks or replication inhibition. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1743:176-86 pubmed..These results indicate that the expression of fusion competent-myoblast-specific genes is induced during myogenic differentiation of Drosophila Schneider cells by DNA DSBs or replication inhibition. ..
- Menon S, Osman Z, Chenchill K, Chia W. A positive feedback loop between Dumbfounded and Rolling pebbles leads to myotube enlargement in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:909-20 pubmed..This implicates the Duf-Rols7 positive feedback loop to the occurrence of fusion at specific sites along the membrane and provides a mechanism by which the rate of fusion is controlled. ..
- Texada M, Simonette R, Deery W, Beckingham K. Tropomyosin is an interaction partner of the Drosophila coiled coil protein yuri gagarin. Exp Cell Res. 2011;317:474-87 pubmed publisher..Tropomyosin has been implicated in actin-mediated membrane trafficking activity in other systems. Our findings suggest that Yuri-Tm1 complexes participate in related functions. ..
- Oliva C, Molina Fernández C, Maureira M, Candia N, LÃ³pez E, Hassan B, et al. Hindsight regulates photoreceptor axon targeting through transcriptional control of jitterbug/Filamin and multiple genes involved in axon guidance in Drosophila. Dev Neurobiol. 2015;75:1018-32 pubmed publisher..2015 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Develop Neurobiol 75: 1018-1032, 2015. ..
- Vakaloglou K, Chrysanthis G, Rapsomaniki M, Lygerou Z, Zervas C. IPP Complex Reinforces Adhesion by Relaying Tension-Dependent Signals to Inhibit Integrin Turnover. Cell Rep. 2016;14:2668-82 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a role for the IPP complex as an essential mechanosensitive regulatory switch of integrin turnover in vivo. ..
- Loevenich S, Brunner E, King N, Deutsch E, Stein S, Aebersold R, et al. The Drosophila melanogaster PeptideAtlas facilitates the use of peptide data for improved fly proteomics and genome annotation. BMC Bioinformatics. 2009;10:59 pubmed publisher..While the database consists of proteomic data it is not required that the user is a proteomics expert. ..