Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Slbp
Description: Stem-loop binding protein
Alias: CG11886, Dmel\CG11886, SLBP, dSLBP, dSLPB, slbp, Stem-loop binding protein, CG11886-PA, Slbp-PA, stem loop binding protein, stem-loop-binding protein
Species: fruit fly
- Zhang M, Lam T, Tonelli M, Marzluff W, Thapar R. Interaction of the histone mRNA hairpin with stem-loop binding protein (SLBP) and regulation of the SLBP-RNA complex by phosphorylation and proline isomerization. Biochemistry. 2012;51:3215-31 pubmed publisher..An early event in 3' end formation of histone mRNAs is the binding of stem-loop binding protein (SLBP) to the stem-loop structure. Here we provide insight into the mechanism by which SLBP contacts the histone mRNA...
- Bulchand S, Menon S, George S, Chia W. Muscle wasted: a novel component of the Drosophila histone locus body required for muscle integrity. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:2697-707 pubmed publisher..We further show a genetic interaction between mute and the Stem-loop binding protein (Slbp) and a loss of muscle striations in Lsm11 mutants...
- Salzler H, Davidson J, Montgomery N, Duronio R. Loss of the histone pre-mRNA processing factor stem-loop binding protein in Drosophila causes genomic instability and impaired cellular proliferation. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8168 pubmed publisher..Formation of this unique mRNA 3' end requires Stem-loop Binding Protein (SLBP), which directly binds histone pre-mRNA and stimulates 3' end processing...
- Yang X, Burch B, Yan Y, Marzluff W, Dominski Z. FLASH, a proapoptotic protein involved in activation of caspase-8, is essential for 3' end processing of histone pre-mRNAs. Mol Cell. 2009;36:267-78 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that FLASH is an essential factor required for 3' end maturation of histone mRNAs in both vertebrates and invertebrates and suggest a potential link between this process and apoptosis. ..
- Borchers C, Thapar R, Petrotchenko E, Torres M, Speir J, Easterling M, et al. Combined top-down and bottom-up proteomics identifies a phosphorylation site in stem-loop-binding proteins that contributes to high-affinity RNA binding. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:3094-9 pubmedThe stem-loop-binding protein (SLBP) is involved in multiple aspects of histone mRNA metabolism...
- Torres M, Thapar R, Marzluff W, Borchers C. Phosphatase-directed phosphorylation-site determination: a synthesis of methods for the detection and identification of phosphopeptides. J Proteome Res. 2005;4:1628-35 pubmed..the applicability of PPD to the detection of in vivo phosphorylation sites on the Drosophila Stem Loop Binding Protein (dSLBP), and the complementarity of this new technique to conventional MS phosphorylation site mapping ..
- Lanzotti D, Kupsco J, Marzluff W, Duronio R. string(cdc25) and cyclin E are required for patterned histone expression at different stages of Drosophila embryonic development. Dev Biol. 2004;274:82-93 pubmed..Thus, during the altered cell cycles of early animal development, different cell cycle mechanisms are employed to ensure that the production of histones accompanies DNA synthesis. ..
- Thapar R, Mueller G, Marzluff W. The N-terminal domain of the Drosophila histone mRNA binding protein, SLBP, is intrinsically disordered with nascent helical structure. Biochemistry. 2004;43:9390-400 pubmed..and circular dichroism to characterize the structural and dynamic features of this domain of SLBP from Drosophila (dSLBP)...
- Zhang J, Tan D, Derose E, Perera L, Dominski Z, Marzluff W, et al. Molecular mechanisms for the regulation of histone mRNA stem-loop-binding protein by phosphorylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E2937-46 pubmed publisher..The minimal RNA-processing domain of SLBP is phosphorylated at an internal threonine, and Drosophila SLBP (dSLBP) also is phosphorylated at four serines in its 18-aa C-terminal tail...
- Tatomer D, Rizzardi L, Curry K, Witkowski A, Marzluff W, Duronio R. Drosophila Symplekin localizes dynamically to the histone locus body and tricellular junctions. Nucleus. 2014;5:613-25 pubmed publisher..This localization depends on the RNA binding protein ypsilon schachtel. CPSF-73 and a number of mRNAs are localized at this same site, suggesting that Symplekin participates in cytoplasmic polyadenylation at tricellular junctions. ..
- Dankert J, Pagan J, Starostina N, Kipreos E, Pagano M. FEM1 proteins are ancient regulators of SLBP degradation. Cell Cycle. 2017;16:556-564 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that FEM1 proteins are ancient regulators of Stem-Loop Binding Protein (SLBP), a conserved protein that interacts with the stem loop structure located in the 3' end of canonical histone mRNAs ..
- Kupsco J, Wu M, Marzluff W, Thapar R, Duronio R. Genetic and biochemical characterization of Drosophila Snipper: A promiscuous member of the metazoan 3'hExo/ERI-1 family of 3' to 5' exonucleases. RNA. 2006;12:2103-17 pubmed..Therefore, Snp is a nonessential exonuclease that is not a functional ortholog of either 3'hExo or ERI-1. ..
- Sullivan K, Steiniger M, Marzluff W. A core complex of CPSF73, CPSF100, and Symplekin may form two different cleavage factors for processing of poly(A) and histone mRNAs. Mol Cell. 2009;34:322-32 pubmed publisher..Depletion of SLBP recruits CstF50 to histone genes...
- Lanzotti D, Kupsco J, Yang X, Dominski Z, Marzluff W, Duronio R. Drosophila stem-loop binding protein intracellular localization is mediated by phosphorylation and is required for cell cycle-regulated histone mRNA expression. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1112-23 pubmed..Full-length HA-dSLBP complemented a Slbp null mutation, demonstrating that it was fully functional...
- Robertson A, Howard J, Dominski Z, Schnackenberg B, Sumerel J, McCarthy J, et al. The sea urchin stem-loop-binding protein: a maternally expressed protein that probably functions in expression of multiple classes of histone mRNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:811-8 pubmed..The 3' end binds the stem-loop-binding protein (SLBP), and SLBP is required for histone pre-mRNA processing as well as translation of the histone mRNAs...
- Iampietro C, Bergalet J, Wang X, Cody N, Chin A, Lefebvre F, et al. Developmentally regulated elimination of damaged nuclei involves a Chk2-dependent mechanism of mRNA nuclear retention. Dev Cell. 2014;29:468-81 pubmed publisher..histone messages, we show that nuclear retention involves Chk2-mediated inactivation of the Drosophila stem loop binding protein (SLBP), the levels of which are specifically depleted in damaged nuclei following Chk2 phosphorylation, ..
- Dominski Z, Yang X, Raska C, Santiago C, Borchers C, Duronio R, et al. 3' end processing of Drosophila melanogaster histone pre-mRNAs: requirement for phosphorylated Drosophila stem-loop binding protein and coevolution of the histone pre-mRNA processing system. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6648-60 pubmed..of the Drosophila substrates is abolished by depleting the extract of the Drosophila stem-loop binding protein (dSLBP), indicating that both dSLBP and the stem-loop structure in histone pre-mRNA are essential components of the ..