Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: shg
Alias: CADH, CG3722, CT12481, Cad, CadE, Cadh, D E-cad, D-CAD2, D-cad, DCAD, DCAD2, DCad, DCad2, DE Cad, DE Cadh, DE-CAD, DE-CAD2, DE-Cad, DE-Cad2, DE-Cadh, DE-Cadherin, DE-cad, DE-cadh, DE-cadherin, DEC, DECAD, DECad, DECadh, DE[cyto], DEcad, De-Cad, Dmel\CG3722, E-CAD, E-Ca, E-Cad, E-Cadherin, E-cad, E-cadherin, ECAD, ECad, ECad2, ECadh, Ecad, N-cad, Shg, cad, cadh, com5, dEcad, de-cad, e-cad, ecad, gp150, l(2)10469, l(2)k03401, l(2)k10220, shg/DE-Cad, shotgun, (DE)-cadherin, CG3722-PA, Cadherin-E, D-Ecadherin, D-cadherin, DCAD2, DE cadherin, DE-cad, DE-cadherin/Shotgun, DEcad, DEcadherin, De-cadherin, ECadherin, Shotgun/E-cadherin, cadherin, compaction defects 5, drosophila E-cadherin, drosophila epithelial cadherin, drosophila melanogaster epithelial (DE)-cadherin, e-cadherin, epithelial cadherin, eta-catenin, shg-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Mottola G, Classen A, Gonzalez Gaitan M, Eaton S, Zerial M. A novel function for the Rab5 effector Rabenosyn-5 in planar cell polarity. Development. 2010;137:2353-64 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that establishment of planar polarity requires the activity of Rbsn-5 in regulating both the endocytic trafficking of Fmi at the apical cell boundaries and hair morphology. ..
- Larson D, Liberman Z, Cagan R. Cellular behavior in the developing Drosophila pupal retina. Mech Dev. 2008;125:223-32 pubmed publisher..Based upon our live visualization of the P120-Catenin mutant as well as genetic data, we conclude that P120-Catenin is acting to stabilize E-cadherin and adherens junction integrity during eye development.
- Shao W, Wu J, Chen J, Lee D, Tishkina A, Harris T. A modifier screen for Bazooka/PAR-3 interacting genes in the Drosophila embryo epithelium. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9938 pubmed publisher..For 13 of the 17 genes, this is the first report of a link to baz or the regulation of epithelial structure. ..
- Pan L, Chen S, Weng C, Call G, Zhu D, Tang H, et al. Stem cell aging is controlled both intrinsically and extrinsically in the Drosophila ovary. Cell Stem Cell. 2007;1:458-69 pubmed publisher..In addition, the age-dependent E-cadherin decline in the stem cell-niche junction also contributes to stem cell aging...
- Lighthouse D, Buszczak M, Spradling A. New components of the Drosophila fusome suggest it plays novel roles in signaling and transport. Dev Biol. 2008;317:59-71 pubmed publisher..In contrast, rab11 is required to maintain the germline stem cells, and to maintain the vesicle content of the spectrosome, suggesting that the fusome mediates intercellular signals that depend on the recycling endosome. ..
- Rajan A, Tien A, Haueter C, Schulze K, Bellen H. The Arp2/3 complex and WASp are required for apical trafficking of Delta into microvilli during cell fate specification of sensory organ precursors. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:815-24 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that WASp-dependent Arp2/3 actin polymerization is crucial for apical presentation of Delta, providing a mechanistic link between actin polymerization and Notch signalling...
- David D, Tishkina A, Harris T. The PAR complex regulates pulsed actomyosin contractions during amnioserosa apical constriction in Drosophila. Development. 2010;137:1645-55 pubmed publisher..These results identify the mechanics of actomyosin contractility that drive amnioserosa apical constriction and how specific steps of the contractile mechanism are regulated by the PAR complex...
- Cavey M, Rauzi M, Lenne P, Lecuit T. A two-tiered mechanism for stabilization and immobilization of E-cadherin. Nature. 2008;453:751-6 pubmed publisher..Tissue stability requires intercellular adhesion mediated by E-cadherin, in particular its trans-association in homophilic complexes supported by actin filaments through beta- and alpha-..
- Bulgakova N, Rentsch M, Knust E. Antagonistic functions of two stardust isoforms in Drosophila photoreceptor cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3915-25 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that a fine-tuned balance of different Crumbs complexes regulates photoreceptor homeostasis. ..
- Tamada M, Farrell D, Zallen J. Abl regulates planar polarized junctional dynamics through ?-catenin tyrosine phosphorylation. Dev Cell. 2012;22:309-19 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the asymmetrically localized Abl tyrosine kinase directs planar polarized junctional remodeling during Drosophila axis elongation through the tyrosine phosphorylation of ?-catenin...
- Widmann T, Dahmann C. Wingless signaling and the control of cell shape in Drosophila wing imaginal discs. Dev Biol. 2009;334:161-73 pubmed publisher..of the Wnt/Wingless signal transduction pathway and two of its target genes, vestigial and shotgun (encoding E-cadherin), in controlling the columnar shape of Drosophila wing disc cells...
- Simões S, Blankenship J, Weitz O, Farrell D, Tamada M, Fernandez Gonzalez R, et al. Rho-kinase directs Bazooka/Par-3 planar polarity during Drosophila axis elongation. Dev Cell. 2010;19:377-88 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Rho-kinase plays an instructive role in planar polarity by targeting Baz/Par-3 and myosin II to complementary cortical domains. ..
- Johnson R, Cagan R. A quantitative method to analyze Drosophila pupal eye patterning. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7008 pubmed publisher..This method provides an unbiased quantitative score of mis-patterning severity that can be used to compare the impact of different genetic mutations on tissue patterning. ..
- Zhou W, Hong Y. Drosophila Patj plays a supporting role in apical-basal polarity but is essential for viability. Development. 2012;139:2891-6 pubmed publisher..In addition, our results confirm that dPatj possesses an as yet unidentified function that is essential for pupal development. ..
- Cheng J, Tiyaboonchai A, Yamashita Y, Hunt A. Asymmetric division of cyst stem cells in Drosophila testis is ensured by anaphase spindle repositioning. Development. 2011;138:831-7 pubmed publisher..We propose that dynamic spindle repositioning allows CySCs to divide asymmetrically while accommodating the structure of the GSCs they encapsulate. ..
- Rujano M, Sanchez Pulido L, Pennetier C, Le Dez G, Basto R. The microcephaly protein Asp regulates neuroepithelium morphogenesis by controlling the spatial distribution of myosin II. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:1294-306 pubmed publisher..We propose that Asp regulates neuroepithelium morphogenesis through myosin-II-mediated structural and mechanical processes to maintain force balance and tissue cohesiveness. ..
- Wang X, Pan L, Wang S, Zhou J, McDowell W, Park J, et al. Histone H3K9 trimethylase Eggless controls germline stem cell maintenance and differentiation. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002426 pubmed publisher..Therefore, this study has revealed the essential roles of histone H3K9 trimethylation in controlling stem cell maintenance and differentiation through distinct mechanisms. ..
- Shaye D, Casanova J, Llimargas M. Modulation of intracellular trafficking regulates cell intercalation in the Drosophila trachea. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:964-70 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provide evidence that levels of E-cadherin (DE-cad), an adherens junction component and Rab11-compartment cargo, are dynamically regulated by trafficking ..
- Leatherman J, Dinardo S. Zfh-1 controls somatic stem cell self-renewal in the Drosophila testis and nonautonomously influences germline stem cell self-renewal. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;3:44-54 pubmed publisher..In contrast, germline-intrinsic STAT activation was insufficient for GSC renewal. These data reveal unexpected complexity in cell interactions in the niche, implicating CPCs in GSC self-renewal. ..
- Desai R, Sarpal R, Ishiyama N, Pellikka M, Ikura M, Tepass U. Monomeric ?-catenin links cadherin to the actin cytoskeleton. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:261-73 pubmed publisher..The linkage of adherens junctions to the actin cytoskeleton is essential for cell adhesion. The contribution of the cadherin-catenin complex to the interaction between actin and the adherens junction remains an intensely investigated ..
- Chen S, Kaneko S, Ma X, Chen X, Ip Y, Xu L, et al. Lissencephaly-1 controls germline stem cell self-renewal through modulating bone morphogenetic protein signaling and niche adhesion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:19939-44 pubmed publisher..signaling activated by the niche promotes germline stem cell (GSC) self-renewal and proliferation, whereas E-cadherin-mediated cell adhesion anchors GSCs in the niche for their continuous self-renewal...
- Georgiou M, Marinari E, Burden J, Baum B. Cdc42, Par6, and aPKC regulate Arp2/3-mediated endocytosis to control local adherens junction stability. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1631-8 pubmed publisher..in endocytosis assays, which revealed a requirement for Cdc42, Arp2/3, and Dynamin for normal rates of E-cadherin internalization...
- Mukai A, Yamamoto Hino M, Awano W, Watanabe W, Komada M, Goto S. Balanced ubiquitylation and deubiquitylation of Frizzled regulate cellular responsiveness to Wg/Wnt. EMBO J. 2010;29:2114-25 pubmed publisher..These results unveil a novel mechanism that regulates the cellular responsiveness to Wg/Wnt by controlling the cell surface level of Frizzled. ..
- Chen T, Chen G, Funkhouser L, Nam S. Membrane domain modulation by Spectrins in Drosophila photoreceptor morphogenesis. Genesis. 2009;47:744-50 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Spectrins are required for controlling photoreceptor morphogenesis through the modulations of cell membrane domains. ..
- Martin A, Kaschube M, Wieschaus E. Pulsed contractions of an actin-myosin network drive apical constriction. Nature. 2009;457:495-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a new model for apical constriction in which a cortical actin-myosin cytoskeleton functions as a developmentally controlled subcellular ratchet to reduce apical area incrementally. ..
- Gao H, Wu X, Fossett N. Drosophila E-cadherin functions in hematopoietic progenitors to maintain multipotency and block differentiation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e74684 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that E-cadherin is an important regulator of prohemocyte fate choice, maintaining prohemocyte multipotency and blocking ..
- Harris K, Tepass U. Cdc42 and Par proteins stabilize dynamic adherens junctions in the Drosophila neuroectoderm through regulation of apical endocytosis. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:1129-43 pubmed publisher..This study reveals functional interactions between apical polarity proteins and endocytosis that are critical for stabilizing dynamic basolateral AJs. ..
- Courbard J, Djiane A, Wu J, Mlodzik M. The apical/basal-polarity determinant Scribble cooperates with the PCP core factor Stbm/Vang and functions as one of its effectors. Dev Biol. 2009;333:67-77 pubmed publisher..We define a scribble allele that is largely PCP specific. Our data show that Scribble is part of the Stbm/Vang PCP complex and further suggest that it might act as an effector of Stbm/Vang during PCP establishment. ..
- Kessler T, Müller H. Cleavage of Armadillo/beta-catenin by the caspase DrICE in Drosophila apoptotic epithelial cells. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:15 pubmed publisher..Since Armadillo/beta-catenin (Arm) is a major regulator of cadherin-mediated adhesion, we analyzed the mechanisms of Arm proteolysis in apoptosis...
- Shindo M, Wada H, Kaido M, Tateno M, Aigaki T, Tsuda L, et al. Dual function of Src in the maintenance of adherens junctions during tracheal epithelial morphogenesis. Development. 2008;135:1355-64 pubmed publisherThe downregulation of E-cadherin by Src promotes epithelial to mesenchymal transition and tumorigenesis...
- Butler L, Blanchard G, Kabla A, Lawrence N, Welchman D, Mahadevan L, et al. Cell shape changes indicate a role for extrinsic tensile forces in Drosophila germ-band extension. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:859-64 pubmed publisher..We propose that cell shape change contributing to germ-band extension is a passive response to mechanical forces caused by the invaginating mesoderm. ..
- Boggiano J, Vanderzalm P, Fehon R. Tao-1 phosphorylates Hippo/MST kinases to regulate the Hippo-Salvador-Warts tumor suppressor pathway. Dev Cell. 2011;21:888-95 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that one family of Ste20 kinases can activate another and identify Tao-1 as a component of the regulatory network controlling HSW pathway signaling, and therefore tissue growth, during development. ..
- Huang J, Zhou W, Dong W, Watson A, Hong Y. From the Cover: Directed, efficient, and versatile modifications of the Drosophila genome by genomic engineering. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:8284-9 pubmed publisher..We have successfully applied the genomic engineering scheme on 6 different genes and have generated at their loci more than 70 unique alleles. ..
- Rauzi M, Lenne P, Lecuit T. Planar polarized actomyosin contractile flows control epithelial junction remodelling. Nature. 2010;468:1110-4 pubmed publisher..In epithelia, contractile forces are resisted at apical junctions by adhesive forces dependent on E-cadherin, which also transmits tension...
- Tian J, Jin Z, Xie T. Mathematical model for two germline stem cells competing for niche occupancy. Bull Math Biol. 2012;74:1207-25 pubmed publisher..The model predicts several qualitative features in the competition process, which may help to design rational experiments for a better understanding of the stem cell competition process. ..
- Genevet A, Polesello C, Blight K, Robertson F, Collinson L, Pichaud F, et al. The Hippo pathway regulates apical-domain size independently of its growth-control function. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:2360-70 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Hippo signalling controls growth and apical domain size by distinct mechanisms. ..
- Wang W, Li Y, Zhou L, Yue H, Luo H. Role of JAK/STAT signaling in neuroepithelial stem cell maintenance and proliferation in the Drosophila optic lobe. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;410:714-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to its role in suppression of neuroblast formation, the JAK/STAT pathway is necessary and sufficient for optic lobe neuroepithelial growth. ..
- Landsberg K, Farhadifar R, Ranft J, Umetsu D, Widmann T, Bittig T, et al. Increased cell bond tension governs cell sorting at the Drosophila anteroposterior compartment boundary. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1950-5 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a physical mechanism in which the local increase in Myosin II-dependent cell bond tension directs cell sorting at compartment boundaries. ..
- Morais de SÃ¡ E, Mirouse V, St Johnston D. aPKC phosphorylation of Bazooka defines the apical/lateral border in Drosophila epithelial cells. Cell. 2010;141:509-23 pubmed publisher..Although Baz acts as an aPKC targeting and specificity factor in nonepithelial cells, our results reveal that it performs a complementary function in positioning the adherens junction in epithelia. ..
- Warner S, Longmore G. Distinct functions for Rho1 in maintaining adherens junctions and apical tension in remodeling epithelia. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:1111-25 pubmed publisher..Rok or Dia, is necessary downstream of Rho1 to maintain AJs; instead, Rho1 maintains AJs by inhibiting Drosophila epithelial cadherin endocytosis in a Cdc42/Par6-dependent manner...
- Srinivasan S, Mahowald A, Fuller M. The receptor tyrosine phosphatase Lar regulates adhesion between Drosophila male germline stem cells and the niche. Development. 2012;139:1381-90 pubmed publisher..Drosophila male germline stem cells (GSCs) attach to somatic hub cells, a component of their niche, through E-cadherin-mediated adherens junctions, and orient their centrosomes toward these localized junctional complexes to carry ..
- Laprise P, Paul S, Boulanger J, Robbins R, Beitel G, Tepass U. Epithelial polarity proteins regulate Drosophila tracheal tube size in parallel to the luminal matrix pathway. Curr Biol. 2010;20:55-61 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that Yrt, Cora, Crb, and Scrib operate independently of the Verm pathway. Our data support a model in which Cora and Yrt act through Crb to regulate epithelial tube size. ..
- Mulinari S, Barmchi M, Hacker U. DRhoGEF2 and diaphanous regulate contractile force during segmental groove morphogenesis in the Drosophila embryo. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1883-92 pubmed publisher..We propose that DRhoGEF2 acts through Rho1 to regulate acto-myosin constriction but not Diaphanous-mediated F-actin nucleation during segmental groove morphogenesis. ..
- Ohsawa S, Sugimura K, Takino K, Xu T, Miyawaki A, Igaki T. Elimination of oncogenic neighbors by JNK-mediated engulfment in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2011;20:315-28 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that JNK-mediated cell engulfment could be an evolutionarily conserved intrinsic tumor-suppression mechanism that eliminates premalignant cells from epithelia. ..
- Fernandez Gonzalez R, Zallen J. Oscillatory behaviors and hierarchical assembly of contractile structures in intercalating cells. Phys Biol. 2011;8:045005 pubmed publisher..We discuss models to explain how the architecture of cytoskeletal networks regulates their contractile behavior and the mechanisms that give rise to oscillatory cell behaviors in intercalating cells...
- Weng M, Haenfler J, Lee C. Changes in Notch signaling coordinates maintenance and differentiation of the Drosophila larval optic lobe neuroepithelia. Dev Neurobiol. 2012;72:1376-90 pubmed publisher..Thus, changes in Notch signaling orchestrate a dynamic balance between maintenance and conversion of neuroepithelial cells during optic lobe neurogenesis. ..
- Sarpal R, Pellikka M, Patel R, Hui F, Godt D, Tepass U. Mutational analysis supports a core role for Drosophila ?-catenin in adherens junction function. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:233-45 pubmed publishercatenin associates the cadherin-catenin complex with the actin cytoskeleton. ?-catenin binds to ?-catenin, which links it to the cadherin cytoplasmic tail, and F-actin, but also to a multitude of actin-associated proteins...
- Shen J, Dahmann C, Pflugfelder G. Spatial discontinuity of optomotor-blind expression in the Drosophila wing imaginal disc disrupts epithelial architecture and promotes cell sorting. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:23 pubmed publisher..Graded Omb expression is necessary for normal cell morphogenesis and cell affinity and sharp spatial discontinuities must be avoided to allow normal wing development. ..
- Hilgenfeldt S, Erisken S, Carthew R. Physical modeling of cell geometric order in an epithelial tissue. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:907-11 pubmed publisher..We show that combining adhesive forces due to E- and N-cadherin with a quantitative description of cell membrane elasticity in an interfacial energy model explains not only the ..
- Yan Y, Denef N, Schupbach T. The vacuolar proton pump, V-ATPase, is required for notch signaling and endosomal trafficking in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2009;17:387-402 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that Rbcn-3 affects Notch signaling and trafficking through regulating V-ATPase function, which implies that the acidification of an intracellular compartment in the receiving cells is crucial for signaling. ..
- Zartman J, Kanodia J, Yakoby N, Schafer X, Watson C, Schlichting K, et al. Expression patterns of cadherin genes in Drosophila oogenesis. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:31-6 pubmed publisher..In late oogenesis, the expression patterns of cadherin genes in the main body follicle cells is summarized using a compact set of simple geometric shapes, reflecting ..
- Oda H, Takeichi M. Evolution: structural and functional diversity of cadherin at the adherens junction. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:1137-46 pubmed publisher..An evolutionary reconstruction of cadherin structure and function provides a comprehensive framework with which to appreciate the diversity of morphogenetic ..
- Pope K, Harris T. Control of cell flattening and junctional remodeling during squamous epithelial morphogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2008;135:2227-38 pubmed publisher..Genetic analysis revealed that Myosin II and Bazooka cooperate to properly position adherens junctions. These results identify a specific cellular mechanism of squamous tissue morphogenesis and molecular interactions involved. ..
- Ho Y, Lien M, Lin C, Wei S, Chang L, Hsu J. Echinoid regulates Flamingo endocytosis to control ommatidial rotation in the Drosophila eye. Development. 2010;137:745-54 pubmed publisher..Thus, co-endocytosis of Ed and Fmi provides a link between apicobasal polarity and PCP. ..
- McDonald J, Khodyakova A, Aranjuez G, Dudley C, Montell D. PAR-1 kinase regulates epithelial detachment and directional protrusion of migrating border cells. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1659-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, this work reveals new insights into two distinct, but essential, steps of epithelial cell migration. ..
- McGill M, McKinley R, Harris T. Independent cadherin-catenin and Bazooka clusters interact to assemble adherens junctions. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:787-96 pubmed publisher..These data reveal that SAJs are subdivided into Baz clusters and cadherin-catenin clusters with independent protein numbers and dynamics...
- Singh J, Aaronson S, Mlodzik M. Drosophila Abelson kinase mediates cell invasion and proliferation through two distinct MAPK pathways. Oncogene. 2010;29:4033-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, targeting Src-Abl, using available dual inhibitors, could be of therapeutic importance in tumor cell metastasis. ..
- He L, Wang X, Tang H, Montell D. Tissue elongation requires oscillating contractions of a basal actomyosin network. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:1133-42 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a mechanism controlling organ shape and an experimental model for the study of the effects of oscillatory actomyosin activity within a coherent cell sheet. ..
- Chen G, League G, Nam S. Role of spastin in apical domain control along the rhabdomere elongation in Drosophila photoreceptor. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9480 pubmed publisher..These results strongly suggest that spastin is essential for apical domain biogenesis during rhabdomere elongation in Drosophila photoreceptor morphogenesis. ..
- Xu J, Lan L, Bogard N, Mattione C, Cohen R. Rab11 is required for epithelial cell viability, terminal differentiation, and suppression of tumor-like growth in the Drosophila egg chamber. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20180 pubmed publisher..to self renew, even though previous studies have shown that FSC self renewal is dependent on maintenance of E-cadherin-based intercellular junctions, which in many cell types, including Drosophila germline stem cells, requires Rab11...
- Mavrakis M, Rikhy R, Lippincott Schwartz J. Plasma membrane polarity and compartmentalization are established before cellularization in the fly embryo. Dev Cell. 2009;16:93-104 pubmed publisher..We propose that epithelial-like properties and an intact F-actin network compartmentalize the PM and shape morphogen gradients in the syncytial embryo. ..
- Inaba M, Yuan H, Salzmann V, Fuller M, Yamashita Y. E-cadherin is required for centrosome and spindle orientation in Drosophila male germline stem cells. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12473 pubmed publisher..Cell-cell adhesion mediated by cadherin and integrin plays a crucial role in maintaining stem cells within the niche...
- Ma X, Lynch H, Scully P, Hutson M. Probing embryonic tissue mechanics with laser hole drilling. Phys Biol. 2009;6:036004 pubmed publisher..We use the site and stage dependence of the recoil kinetics to constrain how the cellular mechanics change during closure. We apply these results to test extant computational models. ..
- SANTIAGO MARTINEZ E, Soplop N, Patel R, Kramer S. Repulsion by Slit and Roundabout prevents Shotgun/E-cadherin-mediated cell adhesion during Drosophila heart tube lumen formation. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:241-8 pubmed publisher..outside the apical domain causes ectopic lumen formation and the mislocalization of cell junction proteins, E-cadherin (E-Cad) and Enabled, without disrupting overall CB cell polarity...
- Hsu H, Drummond Barbosa D. Insulin levels control female germline stem cell maintenance via the niche in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:1117-21 pubmed publisher..through the dual regulation of cap cell number (via Notch signaling) and cap cell-GSC interaction (via E-cadherin) and that the normal process of GSC and niche cell loss that occurs with age can be suppressed by increased ..
- Rodriguez Diaz A, Toyama Y, Abravanel D, Wiemann J, Wells A, Tulu U, et al. Actomyosin purse strings: renewable resources that make morphogenesis robust and resilient. HFSP J. 2008;2:220-37 pubmed publisher..Together our data demonstrate that purse strings are renewable resources that contribute to the robust and resilient nature of closure. ..
- Bulgakova N, Grigoriev I, Yap A, Akhmanova A, Brown N. Dynamic microtubules produce an asymmetric E-cadherin-Bazooka complex to maintain segment boundaries. J Cell Biol. 2013;201:887-901 pubmed publisher..We discovered that positioning of dynamic microtubules controls the asymmetric accumulation of E-cadherin. Microtubules are oriented preferentially along the dorso-ventral axis in Drosophila melanogaster embryonic ..
- Abreu Blanco M, Verboon J, Parkhurst S. Cell wound repair in Drosophila occurs through three distinct phases of membrane and cytoskeletal remodeling. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:455-64 pubmed publisher..By analyzing the expression and the effects of perturbations of actin, myosin, microtubules, E-cadherin, and the plasma membrane, we define three distinct phases in the repair process-expansion, contraction, and ..
- Strutt H, Searle E, Thomas Macarthur V, Brookfield R, Strutt D. A Cul-3-BTB ubiquitylation pathway regulates junctional levels and asymmetry of core planar polarity proteins. Development. 2013;140:1693-702 pubmed publisher..Loss of asymmetry by altered core protein levels can be explained by reference to feedback models for amplification of asymmetry. ..
- Cohen M, Georgiou M, Stevenson N, Miodownik M, Baum B. Dynamic filopodia transmit intermittent Delta-Notch signaling to drive pattern refinement during lateral inhibition. Dev Cell. 2010;19:78-89 pubmed publisher..Significantly, the intermittent signaling induced by these filopodial dynamics generates a type of structured noise that is uniquely suited to the generation of well-ordered, tissue-wide epithelial patterns...
- Tiklová K, Senti K, Wang S, Gräslund A, Samakovlis C. Epithelial septate junction assembly relies on melanotransferrin iron binding and endocytosis in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:1071-7 pubmed publisher..Mouse MTf complements the defects of Drosophila MTf mutants. Drosophila provides the first genetic model for the functional dissection of MTf in epithelial junction assembly and morphogenesis. ..
- Gómez J, Wang Y, Riechmann V. Tao controls epithelial morphogenesis by promoting Fasciclin 2 endocytosis. J Cell Biol. 2012;199:1131-43 pubmed publisher..In wild-type cells, Tao initiated morphogenesis by promoting Fasciclin 2 endocytosis at the lateral membrane. Thus, we identify here a mechanism controlling the morphogenesis of a squamous epithelium. ..
- Robertson F, Pinal N, Fichelson P, Pichaud F. Atonal and EGFR signalling orchestrate rok- and Drak-dependent adherens junction remodelling during ommatidia morphogenesis. Development. 2012;139:3432-41 pubmed publisher..It also sheds new light on the interplay between Ato, EGFR-dependent transcription and AJ remodelling in a system in which neurogenesis is coupled with cell shape changes and regulated steps of cell intercalation...
- Ostrowski K, Bauer R, Hoch M. The Drosophila innexin 7 gap junction protein is required for development of the embryonic nervous system. Cell Commun Adhes. 2008;15:155-67 pubmed publisher..The results suggest an essential role for innexin7 for axon guidance and embryonic nervous system development in Drosophila. ..
- Bulgakova N, Kempkens O, Knust E. Multiple domains of Stardust differentially mediate localisation of the Crumbs-Stardust complex during photoreceptor development in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:2018-26 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the importance of the different Sdt domains and point to a more intricate regulation of the Crb-Sdt complex in adult photoreceptor cells. ..
- Kolahi K, White P, Shreter D, Classen A, Bilder D, Mofrad M. Quantitative analysis of epithelial morphogenesis in Drosophila oogenesis: New insights based on morphometric analysis and mechanical modeling. Dev Biol. 2009;331:129-39 pubmed publisher..We utilize mechanical modeling involving finite element computational technologies to demonstrate that time-varying viscoelastic properties and growth are sufficient to account for the bulk of the FC morphogenetic changes. ..
- Seppa M, Johnson R, Bao S, Cagan R. Polychaetoid controls patterning by modulating adhesion in the Drosophila pupal retina. Dev Biol. 2008;318:1-16 pubmed publisher..Levels of Roughest, DE-Cadherin and several other adherens junction-associated proteins were increased at the membrane when Pyd protein was ..
- Warrington S, Strutt H, Strutt D. The Frizzled-dependent planar polarity pathway locally promotes E-cadherin turnover via recruitment of RhoGEF2. Development. 2013;140:1045-54 pubmed publisher..Growing evidence suggests that cell adhesion can be modulated by endocytic trafficking of E-cadherin (E-cad), but how this process can be polarised within individual cells is poorly understood...
- Homem C, Peifer M. Exploring the roles of diaphanous and enabled activity in shaping the balance between filopodia and lamellipodia. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:5138-55 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest they work together in a complex and nonadditive way, with the ratio between active Dia and Ena being one factor that modulates the balance between filopodia and lamellipodia. ..
- Bertet C, Rauzi M, Lecuit T. Repression of Wasp by JAK/STAT signalling inhibits medial actomyosin network assembly and apical cell constriction in intercalating epithelial cells. Development. 2009;136:4199-212 pubmed publisher..We discuss possible models for the role of Wasp activity in the regulation of Myo-II distribution. ..
- Simone R, Dinardo S. Actomyosin contractility and Discs large contribute to junctional conversion in guiding cell alignment within the Drosophila embryonic epithelium. Development. 2010;137:1385-94 pubmed publisher..Indeed, depletion of Myosin II or dlg disrupts these processes. These results show that tight spatial regulation of actomyosin contractility is required to produce this high-energy arrangement of cells...
- Blanchard G, Murugesu S, Adams R, Martinez Arias A, Gorfinkiel N. Cytoskeletal dynamics and supracellular organisation of cell shape fluctuations during dorsal closure. Development. 2010;137:2743-52 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that cell shape fluctuations are a property of cells with low and increasing levels of apical myosin, and that medial and junctional myosin populations combine to contract AS cell apices and drive DC. ..