Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Shaw
Description: Shaker cognate w
Alias: CG15419, CG2822, Dmel\CG2822, Kv3, Kv3.1, Shaw2, dShaw, dShaw2, shaw, shaker cognate w, CG2822-PA, CG2822-PB, CG2822-PC, CG2822-PD, CG2822-PE, Shaw-PA, Shaw-PB, Shaw-PC, Shaw-PD, Shaw-PE
Species: fruit fly
- Ping Y, Hahm E, Waro G, Song Q, Vo Ba D, Licursi A, et al. Linking aÎ²42-induced hyperexcitability to neurodegeneration, learning and motor deficits, and a shorter lifespan in an Alzheimer's model. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005025 pubmed publisher..We conclude that AÎ²42-induced hyperactivity plays a critical role in the age-dependent cognitive and motor decline of this AÎ²42-Drosophila model, and possibly in AD. ..
- Frolov R, Bagati A, Casino B, Singh S. Potassium channels in Drosophila: historical breakthroughs, significance, and perspectives. J Neurogenet. 2012;26:275-90 pubmed..Drosophila has also helped in discovering other K(+) channels, such as Shab, Shaw, Shal, Eag, Sei, Elk, and also Slo, a Ca(2+) - and voltage-dependent K(+) channel...
- Salkoff L, Baker K, Butler A, Covarrubias M, Pak M, Wei A. An essential 'set' of K+ channels conserved in flies, mice and humans. Trends Neurosci. 1992;15:161-6 pubmed..This conservation of the K+ channel subfamilies Shaker, Shal, Shab, and Shaw suggests that not only the broad outlines of membrane electrical properties but also many molecular details as well ..
- McCormack T. Comparison of K+-channel genes within the genomes of Anopheles gambiae and Drosophila melanogaster. Genome Biol. 2003;4:R58 pubmed..and Anopheles are present in a 1:1 ratio, Anopheles has more genes in three K+-channel types, namely KQT, Kv3, and inward rectifier channels...
- Logothetis D, Kammen B, Lindpaintner K, Bisbas D, Nadal Ginard B. Gating charge differences between two voltage-gated K+ channels are due to the specific charge content of their respective S4 regions. Neuron. 1993;10:1121-9 pubmed..However, differences in residues inside the S4 region are not sufficient to account for each channel's characteristic voltage range of activation. ..
- Strong M, Chandy K, Gutman G. Molecular evolution of voltage-sensitive ion channel genes: on the origins of electrical excitability. Mol Biol Evol. 1993;10:221-42 pubmed..The Shaw-related K+ channels and the Na+ channel family have also undergone considerable expansion in mammals, relative to ..
- Xu J, Yu W, Jan Y, Jan L, Li M. Assembly of voltage-gated potassium channels. Conserved hydrophilic motifs determine subfamily-specific interactions between the alpha-subunits. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:24761-8 pubmed..of the cloned genes for the alpha-subunits are classified into four subfamilies: Kv1 (Shaker), Kv2 (Shab), Kv3 (Shaw), and Kv4 (Shal)...
- Covarrubias M, Wei A, Salkoff L. Shaker, Shal, Shab, and Shaw express independent K+ current systems. Neuron. 1991;7:763-73 pubmed..We show that Drosophila Shaker, Shal, Shab, and Shaw subunits form functional homomultimers, but that a molecular barrier to heteropolymerization is present...
- Stephan M, Agnew W. Voltage-sensitive Na+ channels: motifs, modes and modulation. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1991;3:676-84 pubmed..At the same time, however, electrophysiological studies have revealed new, more complex functional properties in the form of at least two gating modes and the existence of as yet unidentified modulatory factors. ..
- Gasque G, Labarca P, Reynaud E, Darszon A. Shal and shaker differential contribution to the K+ currents in the Drosophila mushroom body neurons. J Neurosci. 2005;25:2348-58 pubmed..We found that transcripts for shab, shaw, shaker, and shal, among which only Shaker and Shal have been reported to code for A-type currents, are present in ..
- Hoopengardner B, Bhalla T, Staber C, Reenan R. Nervous system targets of RNA editing identified by comparative genomics. Science. 2003;301:832-6 pubmed..These results point to a pivotal role for RNA editing in nervous system function. ..
- Yu W, Xu J, Li M. NAB domain is essential for the subunit assembly of both alpha-alpha and alpha-beta complexes of shaker-like potassium channels. Neuron. 1996;16:441-53 pubmed
- Butler A, Wei A, Salkoff L. Shal, Shab, and Shaw: three genes encoding potassium channels in Drosophila. Nucleic Acids Res. 1990;18:2173-4 pubmed
- Jan L, Jan Y. How might the diversity of potassium channels be generated?. Trends Neurosci. 1990;13:415-9 pubmed..How might this tremendous diversity of potassium channels be generated? Partial answers have begun to emerge as molecular studies of potassium channel genes have become possible over the past few years. ..
- Harris T, Shahidullah M, Ellingson J, Covarrubias M. General anesthetic action at an internal protein site involving the S4-S5 cytoplasmic loop of a neuronal K(+) channel. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:4928-36 pubmed..Domain swapping between dShaw2 (alkanol-sensitive) and hKv3...
- Adnot S, Chabrier P, Brun Buisson C, Viossat I, Braquet P. Atrial natriuretic factor attenuates the pulmonary pressor response to hypoxia. J Appl Physiol (1985). 1988;65:1975-83 pubmed..No change in PVR or SVR occurred in normoxic animals at any ANF infusion rate. These results suggest that ANF may act as an endogenous pulmonary vasodilator that could modulate the pulmonary pressor response to hypoxia...
- Agosto J, Choi J, Parisky K, Stilwell G, Rosbash M, Griffith L. Modulation of GABAA receptor desensitization uncouples sleep onset and maintenance in Drosophila. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:354-9 pubmed publisher..These experiments uncouple the regulation of sleep latency from that of sleep duration and suggest that the kinetics of GABA(A) receptor signaling dictate sleep latency. ..
- Hodge J, Stanewsky R. Function of the Shaw potassium channel within the Drosophila circadian clock. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2274 pubmed publisher..that regulate resting membrane potential (RMP) in the native clock of Drosophila we modulated the function of Shaw, a widely expressed neuronal potassium (K(+)) channel known to regulate RMP in Drosophila central neurons...
- Pak M, Covarrubias M, Ratcliffe A, Salkoff L. A mouse brain homolog of the Drosophila Shab K+ channel with conserved delayed-rectifier properties. J Neurosci. 1991;11:869-80 pubmed..The mShab current closely resembles a native delayed-rectifier-type potassium current, IK, in hippocampal neurons. ..
- Zhang J, Qu X, Covarrubias M, Germann M. Insight into the modulation of Shaw2 Kv channels by general anesthetics: structural and functional studies of S4-S5 linker and S6 C-terminal peptides in micelles by NMR. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1828:595-601 pubmed publisherThe modulation of the Drosophila Shaw2 Kv channel by 1-alkanols and inhaled anesthetics is correlated with the involvement of the S4-S5 linker and C-terminus of S6, and consistent with stabilization of the channel's closed state...
- Yool A, Schwarz T. Alteration of ionic selectivity of a K+ channel by mutation of the H5 region. Nature. 1991;349:700-4 pubmed..The mutations that substantially altered selectivity had little effect on the gating properties of the channel. We conclude that the H5 region is likely to line the pore of the K+ channel...
- Diao F, Ironfield H, Luan H, Diao F, Shropshire W, Ewer J, et al. Plug-and-play genetic access to drosophila cell types using exchangeable exon cassettes. Cell Rep. 2015;10:1410-21 pubmed publisher..We also introduce an exchangeable, MiMIC-like Trojan exon construct that can be targeted to coding introns using the Crispr/Cas system. ..
- Wallner M, Meera P, Toro L. Determinant for beta-subunit regulation in high-conductance voltage-activated and Ca(2+)-sensitive K+ channels: an additional transmembrane region at the N terminus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:14922-7 pubmed..Both the unique S0 region and the exoplasmic N terminus are necessary for this gain of function. ..
- Shahidullah M, Harris T, Germann M, Covarrubias M. Molecular features of an alcohol binding site in a neuronal potassium channel. Biochemistry. 2003;42:11243-52 pubmedAliphatic alcohols (1-alkanols) selectively inhibit the neuronal Shaw2 K(+) channel at an internal binding site. This inhibition is conferred by a sequence of 13 residues that constitutes the S4-S5 loop in the pore-forming subunit...
- Covarrubias M, Vyas T, Escobar L, Wei A. Alcohols inhibit a cloned potassium channel at a discrete saturable site. Insights into the molecular basis of general anesthesia. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:19408-16 pubmed..of ethanol (17-170mM) selectively inhibited a noninactivating cloned K+ channel encoded by Drosophila Shaw2. Here, we have conducted equilibrium dos-inhibition experiments, single channel recording, and mutagenesis in ..
- Perney T, Kaczmarek L. The molecular biology of K+ channels. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1991;3:663-70 pubmed..Expression of different members of these subfamilies, coupled with mutational analysis, has advanced our knowledge of the structure and function of voltage-dependent K+ channels. ..