Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SerT
Description: Serotonin transporter
Alias: CG4545, DmSERT, DmSerT, Dmel\CG4545, SERT, Sert, dSERT, dSERT1, dSerT, dSert, dmSERT, dsert, serT, serotonin transporter, CG4545-PA, CG4545-PB, SerT-PA, SerT-PB, cocaine-sensitive serotonin transporter, drosophila serotonin transporter
Species: fruit fly
- Shinomiya K, Karuppudurai T, Lin T, Lu Z, Lee C, Meinertzhagen I. Candidate neural substrates for off-edge motion detection in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2014;24:1062-70 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that T5 computes small-field motion signals by integrating multiple cholinergic Tm inputs using nicotinic and muscarinic cholinoceptors. ..
- Curran K, Chalasani S. Serotonin circuits and anxiety: what can invertebrates teach us?. Invert Neurosci. 2012;12:81-92 pubmed publisher..These model systems possess well-defined neuroanatomies and robust serotonin-mediated behavior and should reveal insights into how serotonin can modulate human cognitive functions...
- Sealover N, Felts B, Kuntz C, Jarrard R, Hockerman G, Lamb P, et al. The external gate of the human and Drosophila serotonin transporters requires a basic/acidic amino acid pair for 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) translocation and the induction of substrate efflux. Biochem Pharmacol. 2016;120:46-55 pubmed publisher..identified functional differences between the human and Drosophila melanogaster serotonin transporters (hSERT and dSERT, respectively) revealing that MDMA is an effective substrate for hSERT but not dSERT even though serotonin is a ..
- Davis B, Nagarajan A, Forrest L, Singh S. Mechanism of Paroxetine (Paxil) Inhibition of the Serotonin Transporter. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23789 pubmed publisherThe serotonin transporter (SERT) is an integral membrane protein that exploits preexisting sodium-, chloride-, and potassium ion gradients to catalyze the thermodynamically unfavorable movement of synaptic serotonin into the presynaptic ..
- Majeed Z, Abdeljaber E, Soveland R, Cornwell K, Bankemper A, Koch F, et al. Modulatory Action by the Serotonergic System: Behavior and Neurophysiology in Drosophila melanogaster. Neural Plast. 2016;2016:7291438 pubmed publisher..5-HT2 receptor activation mediates a modulatory role in a sensory-motor circuit, and the activation of 5-HT neurons can suppress the neural circuit activity, while fluoxetine can significantly decrease the sensory-motor activity. ..
- Beckman M, Pramod A, Perley D, Henry L. Stereoselective inhibition of serotonin transporters by antimalarial compounds. Neurochem Int. 2014;73:98-106 pubmed publisher..In this study, we examined the details of antimalarial inhibition of 5-HT transport in both Drosophila (dSERT) and human SERT (hSERT) using electrophysiologic, biochemical and computational approaches...
- Stotz S, Clapham D. Anion-sensitive fluorophore identifies the Drosophila swell-activated chloride channel in a genome-wide RNA interference screen. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46865 pubmed publisher..dBest1 is an anion channel clearly responsive to swell; this activation depends upon its N-terminus. ..
- Novotny T, Eiselt R, Urban J. Hunchback is required for the specification of the early sublineage of neuroblast 7-3 in the Drosophila central nervous system. Development. 2002;129:1027-36 pubmed
- Thimgan M, Berg J, Stuart A. Comparative sequence analysis and tissue localization of members of the SLC6 family of transporters in adult Drosophila melanogaster. J Exp Biol. 2006;209:3383-404 pubmed..The SLC6 localization observations in conjunction with likely substrates based on phylogenetic inferences are a first step in defining the role of Na/Cl-dependent transporters in Drosophila physiology. ..
- KAUFMANN K, Dawson E, Henry L, Field J, Blakely R, Meiler J. Structural determinants of species-selective substrate recognition in human and Drosophila serotonin transporters revealed through computational docking studies. Proteins. 2009;74:630-42 pubmed publisher..selectivity in serotonin (5-HT) transporters (SERT), models of human and Drosophila serotonin transporters (hSERT, dSERT) were built based on the leucine transporter (LeuT(Aa)) structure reported by Yamashita et al...
- Miller M, Popova L, Meleshkevitch E, Tran P, Boudko D. The invertebrate B(0) system transporter, D. melanogaster NAT1, has unique d-amino acid affinity and mediates gut and brain functions. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2008;38:923-31 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that some members of the NAT-SLC6 subfamily are evolving specific properties which contribute to nutrient symbiotic relationships and neuronal functions. ..
- Petersen C, DeFelice L. Ionic interactions in the Drosophila serotonin transporter identify it as a serotonin channel. Nat Neurosci. 1999;2:605-10 pubmed..To examine SERT's response to high 5HT concentrations, we expressed Drosophila SERT (dSERT) in Xenopus oocytes and found that transport continued to increase with concentration up to 0.3 mM 5HT...
- Rodriguez G, Roman D, White K, Nichols D, Barker E. Distinct recognition of substrates by the human and Drosophila serotonin transporters. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2003;306:338-46 pubmedThe human and Drosophila serotonin transporters (hSERT and dSERT, respectively) were used to explore differences in substrate properties. hSERT and dSERT showed similar Km values for 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT; serotonin) transport (1...
- Sang T, Ready D. Eyes closed, a Drosophila p47 homolog, is essential for photoreceptor morphogenesis. Development. 2002;129:143-54 pubmed..Loss of Eyc function results in a lethal failure of nuclear envelope assembly in early zygotic divisions. Phenotypes resulting from eyc mutations provide the first in vivo evidence for a role for p47 in membrane biogenesis. ..
- Blakely R, De Felice L, Hartzell H. Molecular physiology of norepinephrine and serotonin transporters. J Exp Biol. 1994;196:263-81 pubmed..Availability of cloned NET and SERT cDNAs has permitted rapid progress in the definition of cellular sites of gene expression, the generation of ..
- Giang T, Ritze Y, Rauchfuss S, Ogueta M, Scholz H. The serotonin transporter expression in Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurogenet. 2011;25:17-26 pubmed publisherThe serotonin transporter is an important regulator of serotonergic signaling...
- Panneels V, Kock I, Krijnse Locker J, Rezgaoui M, Sinning I. Drosophila photoreceptor cells exploited for the production of eukaryotic membrane proteins: receptors, transporters and channels. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18478 pubmed publisher..2-0.4 mg purified target MP from 1 g of fly heads. The metabotropic glutamate receptor and human serotonin transporter--both involved in synaptic transmission--showed native pharmacological characteristics and could be ..
- Henry L, Field J, Adkins E, Parnas M, Vaughan R, Zou M, et al. Tyr-95 and Ile-172 in transmembrane segments 1 and 3 of human serotonin transporters interact to establish high affinity recognition of antidepressants. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:2012-23 pubmed..recognition by serotonin transporters (SERTs), we identified Tyr-95 in transmembrane segment 1 (TM1) of human SERT as a major determinant of binding for several antagonists, including racemic citalopram ((RS)-CIT)...
- Couch J, Chen J, Rieff H, Uri E, Condron B. robo2 and robo3 interact with eagle to regulate serotonergic neuron differentiation. Development. 2004;131:997-1006 pubmed..We show that in Drosophila, expression of the serotonin transporter (SerT) is both temporally and physically related to midline crossing...
- Galli A, Petersen C, deBlaquiere M, Blakely R, DeFelice L. Drosophila serotonin transporters have voltage-dependent uptake coupled to a serotonin-gated ion channel. J Neurosci. 1997;17:3401-11 pubmed..To investigate this, we have used heterologous expression of cloned dSERTs to measure 5HT flux and dSERT currents concurrently under voltage clamp, and we have used fluctuation analysis to measure the size of the ..
- Gu H, Wu X, Han D. Conserved serine residues in serotonin transporter contribute to high-affinity cocaine binding. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;343:1179-85 pubmedb>Serotonin transporter (SERT) is one of the key protein targets of cocaine. Despite intensive studies, it is not clear where cocaine binds to its targets and what residues are involved in cocaine binding...