Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SERCA
Description: Sarco/endoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+)-ATPase
Alias: 17136664, A4UZU0_DROME, ATC1_DROME, CA-P60A, CG3725, Ca-ATPase, Ca-P60, Ca-P60A, Ca-p, CaP60A, Ca[2+]ATPase, Dmel\CG3725, Kum, SERCA2, Serca, Serca2a, dSERCA, dserca, kum, l(2)SH0211, l(2)k08308ab, l(2)k09025, serca, Sarco/endoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+)-ATPase, CG3725-PA, CG3725-PB, CG3725-PC, CG3725-PD, CG3725-PE, CG3725-PF, CG3725-PG, CG3725-PH, CG3725-PI, Ca[2+] ATPase, SERCA-PA, SERCA-PB, SERCA-PC, SERCA-PD, SERCA-PE, SERCA-PF, SERCA-PG, SERCA-PH, SERCA-PI, calcium ATPase, calcium ATPase at 60A, kumbhakarna, lethal (2) SH0211, organellar-type Ca-ATPase, sarco endoplasmic reticulum calcium-ATPase, sarco/endoplasmic reticulum-type Ca-2+-ATPase, sarcoplasmic endoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase type 2
Species: fruit fly
- Towers P, Sattelle D. A Drosophila melanogaster cell line (S2) facilitates post-genome functional analysis of receptors and ion channels. Bioessays. 2002;24:1066-73 pubmed..In addition, many useful orthologues of human disease genes are emerging from the Drosophila genome and the study of their functions and interactions is another area for postgenome applications of S2 cell lines. ..
- Mauvezin C, Nagy P, JuhÃ¡sz G, Neufeld T. Autophagosome-lysosome fusion is independent of V-ATPase-mediated acidification. Nat Commun. 2015;6:7007 pubmed publisher..autophagosome-lysosome fusion in these cells, and this defect is phenocopied by depletion of the Ca(2+) pump SERCA, a secondary target of this drug...
- Klose M, Dason J, Atwood H, Boulianne G, Mercier A. Peptide-induced modulation of synaptic transmission and escape response in Drosophila requires two G-protein-coupled receptors. J Neurosci. 2010;30:14724-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, coincident detection of a peptide by two GPCRs modulates synaptic function through effects of Ca(2+)-induced Ca(2+) release, and we hypothesize that these mechanisms are involved in behavioral responses to environmental stress. ..
- Stabell M, Bjørkmo M, Aalen R, Lambertsson A. The Drosophila SET domain encoding gene dEset is essential for proper development. Hereditas. 2006;143:177-88 pubmed..The spatio-temporal expression profiles of dEset and its potential partners suggest that they may act together or even in a larger complex. ..
- Southall T, Terhzaz S, Cabrero P, Chintapalli V, Evans J, Dow J, et al. Novel subcellular locations and functions for secretory pathway Ca2+/Mn2+-ATPases. Physiol Genomics. 2006;26:35-45 pubmed..SPoCk thus contributed to both of the contrasting requirements for Ca2+ in transporting epithelia: to transport or store Ca2+ in bulk without compromising its use as a signal...
- Shakiryanova D, Klose M, Zhou Y, Gu T, Deitcher D, Atwood H, et al. Presynaptic ryanodine receptor-activated calmodulin kinase II increases vesicle mobility and potentiates neuropeptide release. J Neurosci. 2007;27:7799-806 pubmed..RyR and CaMKII are essential for post-tetanic potentiation of neuropeptide secretion. Therefore, the presynaptic signaling pathway for increasing DCV mobility is identified and shown to be required for synaptic plasticity. ..
- Dijkers P, O Farrell P. Drosophila calcineurin promotes induction of innate immune responses. Curr Biol. 2007;17:2087-93 pubmed..Thus, CanA1 provides an additional input into Relish-promoted immune responses and functions in hemocytes to promote a tissue-to-tissue signaling cascade required for robust immune response. ..
- Shim J, Mukherjee T, Mondal B, Liu T, Young G, Wijewarnasuriya D, et al. Olfactory control of blood progenitor maintenance. Cell. 2013;155:1141-53 pubmed publisher..This study links sensory perception and the effects of its deprivation on the integrity of the hematopoietic and innate immune systems in Drosophila. PAPERCLIP: ..
- Nair S, Agrawal N, Hasan G. Homeostasis of glutamate neurotransmission is altered in Drosophila Inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor mutants. Invert Neurosci. 2007;7:137-47 pubmed
- Chen C, Buhl E, Xu M, Croset V, Rees J, Lilley K, et al. Drosophila Ionotropic Receptor 25a mediates circadian clock resetting by temperature. Nature. 2015;527:516-20 pubmed publisher..This pathway operates in the absence of known 'hot' and 'cold' sensors in the Drosophila antenna, revealing the existence of novel periphery-to-brain temperature signalling channels. ..
- Magyar A, Varadi A. Molecular cloning and chromosomal localization of a sarco/endoplasmic reticulum-type Ca2(+)-ATPase of Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1990;173:872-7 pubmed..The gene of this sarco/endoplasmic reticulum-type Ca2(+)-ATPase has been mapped on the right arm of chromosome 2, in section 60A. ..
- Panz M, Vitos Faleato J, Jendretzki A, Heinisch J, Paululat A, Meyer H. A novel role for the non-catalytic intracellular domain of Neprilysins in muscle physiology. Biol Cell. 2012;104:553-68 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first report of an intracellular Nep domain being involved in muscle integrity. ..
- Moraru A, Cakan Akdogan G, Strassburger K, Males M, Mueller S, Jabs M, et al. THADA Regulates the Organismal Balance between Energy Storage and Heat Production. Dev Cell. 2017;41:72-81.e6 pubmed publisher..THADA binds the sarco/ER Ca2+ ATPase (SERCA) and acts on it as an uncoupler...
- Mortimer N, Goecks J, Kacsoh B, Mobley J, Bowersock G, Taylor J, et al. Parasitoid wasp venom SERCA regulates Drosophila calcium levels and inhibits cellular immunity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:9427-32 pubmed publisher..Drosophila parasitoid species, and found that G1 venom contains a highly abundant sarco/endoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase (SERCA) pump...
- Restrepo S, Basler K. Drosophila wing imaginal discs respond to mechanical injury via slow InsP3R-mediated intercellular calcium waves. Nat Commun. 2016;7:12450 pubmed publisher..waves (SIDICs) are mediated by the inositol-3-phosphate receptor, the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) calcium pump SERCA and the key gap junction component Inx2...
- Harteneck C. Proteins modulating TRP channel function. Cell Calcium. 2003;33:303-10 pubmed..The prototype of calcium-binding protein used for experiments is calmodulin; whether or not calmodulin is also the natural interaction partner of TRP channels is an open question. ..
- Liu J, Lee D, Yu C, Angers S, Harris T. Stepping stone: a cytohesin adaptor for membrane cytoskeleton restraint in the syncytial Drosophila embryo. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:711-25 pubmed publisher..Overall we propose that Sstn acts as a cytohesin adaptor that promotes Steppke activity for localized membrane cytoskeleton restraint in the syncytial Drosophila embryo. ..
- LindstrÃ¶m R, Lindholm P, KallijÃ¤rvi J, Palgi M, Saarma M, Heino T. Exploring the Conserved Role of MANF in the Unfolded Protein Response in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0151550 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a role for Manf in the regulation of Drosophila UPR. ..
- Fry J, Bahnck C, Mikucki M, Phadnis N, Slattery W. Dietary Ethanol Mediates Selection on Aldehyde Dehydrogenase Activity in Drosophila melanogaster. Integr Comp Biol. 2004;44:275-83 pubmed publisher..melanogaster. We hypothesize that variation in ALDH activity may make an important contribution to the observed wide variation in ethanol tolerance within and among Drosophila species. ..
- Chorna T, Hasan G, Man ko V, Klevets M. Genes expression of calcium signaling molecules in salivary glands of Drosophila melanogaster larvae. Ukr Biokhim Zh (1999). 2009;81:78-81 pubmed..Our results suggest that mentioned Ca(2+)-transport systems play an important role in maintaining of Ca(2+)-homeostasis in larval salivary glands of Drosophila melanogaster. ..
- Picchio L, Plantie E, Renaud Y, Poovthumkadavil P, Jagla K. Novel Drosophila model of myotonic dystrophy type 1: phenotypic characterization and genome-wide view of altered gene expression. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:2795-810 pubmed publisher..Finally, by combining in silico prediction of Mbl targets with mblRNAi microarray data, we found the calcium pump dSERCA as a Mbl splice target and show that the membrane dSERCA isoform is sufficient to rescue a DM1-induced ..
- Desai Shah M, Cooper R. Different mechanisms of Ca2+ regulation that influence synaptic transmission: comparison between crayfish and Drosophila neuromuscular junctions. Synapse. 2009;63:1100-21 pubmed publisher..plasmalemmal Na(+)/Ca(2+) exchanger [NCX], Ca(2+)-ATPase (PMCA), and sarcoplasmic/endoplasmic Ca(2+)-ATPase (SERCA) are important in regulating the [Ca(2+)](i) are examined...
- Deng H, Gerencser A, Jasper H. Signal integration by Ca(2+) regulates intestinal stem-cell activity. Nature. 2015;528:212-7 pubmed publisher..We propose that the dynamic regulation of intracellular Ca(2+) levels allows effective integration of diverse mitogenic signals in ISCs to adapt their proliferative activity to the needs of the tissue. ..
- Rosenbaum E, Hardie R, Colley N. Calnexin is essential for rhodopsin maturation, Ca2+ regulation, and photoreceptor cell survival. Neuron. 2006;49:229-41 pubmed..Our results illustrate a critical role for calnexin in Rh1 maturation and Ca2+ regulation and provide genetic evidence that defects in calnexin lead to retinal degeneration. ..
- Kuo P, Tzeng T, Huang Y, Chen Y, Chang Y, Ho Y, et al. Non-invasive Drosophila ECG recording by using eutectic gallium-indium alloy electrode: a feasible tool for future research on the molecular mechanisms involved in cardiac arrhythmia. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e104543 pubmed publisher..Thus, the observation of ECG changes in normal and SERCA-depleted Drosophila over an extended period is feasible...
- Kaneko M, Desai B, Cook B. Ionic leakage underlies a gain-of-function effect of dominant disease mutations affecting diverse P-type ATPases. Nat Genet. 2014;46:144-51 pubmed publisher..screen, we identified a dominant mutation altering the PAII member sarcoendoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+) ATPase (SERCA). This mutation conferred temperature-sensitive uncoordination in a gain-of-function manner...
- Varadi A, Gilmore Heber M, Benz E. Amplification of the phosphorylation site-ATP-binding site cDNA fragment of the Na+,K(+)-ATPase and the Ca2(+)-ATPase of Drosophila melanogaster by polymerase chain reaction. FEBS Lett. 1989;258:203-7 pubmed..Three different mRNA species are processed from the Na+,K(+)-ATPase gene and one from the Ca2(+)-ATPase gene. Developmental control in expression of the Ca2(+)-ATPase gene was observed. ..
- Roti G, Carlton A, Ross K, Markstein M, Pajcini K, Su A, et al. Complementary genomic screens identify SERCA as a therapeutic target in NOTCH1 mutated cancer. Cancer Cell. 2013;23:390-405 pubmed publisher..Sarco/endoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase (SERCA) channels emerged at the intersection of these complementary screens...
- Li A, Zhou C, Moore J, Zhang P, Tsai T, Lee H, et al. Changes in the expression of the Alzheimer’s disease-associated presenilin gene in drosophila heart leads to cardiac dysfunction. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2011;8:313-22 pubmed..Silencing of dPsn elevated dIP3R expression, and reduced dSERCA expression; overexprerssion of dPsn led to reduced dRyR expression...
- Freeman A, Franciscovich A, Bowers M, Sandstrom D, Sanyal S. NFAT regulates pre-synaptic development and activity-dependent plasticity in Drosophila. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2011;46:535-47 pubmed publisher..We propose that NFAT regulates pre-synaptic development and constrains long-term plasticity by dampening neuronal excitability. ..
- Hoeffer C, Sanyal S, Ramaswami M. Acute induction of conserved synaptic signaling pathways in Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurosci. 2003;23:6362-72 pubmed..Bursts of neural activity induced in Drosophila comatosets and CaP60A Kumts mutants, with conditional defects in N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive fusion factor 1 and sarco-endoplasmic ..
- Bi J, Wang W, Liu Z, Huang X, Jiang Q, Liu G, et al. Seipin promotes adipose tissue fat storage through the ER Ca²?-ATPase SERCA. Cell Metab. 2014;19:861-71 pubmed publisher..Like dSeipin, dSERCA cell-autonomously promotes lipid storage in Drosophila fat cells...
- Abraham D, Wolf M. Disruption of sarcoendoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase function in Drosophila leads to cardiac dysfunction. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e77785 pubmed publisherAbnormal sarcoendoplasmic reticulum Calcium ATPase (SERCA) function has been associated with poor cardiac function in humans...
- Freeman A, Bowers M, Mortimer A, Timmerman C, Roux S, Ramaswami M, et al. A new genetic model of activity-induced Ras signaling dependent pre-synaptic plasticity in Drosophila. Brain Res. 2010;1326:15-29 pubmed publisher..plasticity at neuromuscular synapses of Drosophila double mutant for comatose (an NSF mutant) and Kum (a SERCA mutant), and present an analysis of the underlying signaling pathways...
- Periz G, Fortini M. Ca(2+)-ATPase function is required for intracellular trafficking of the Notch receptor in Drosophila. EMBO J. 1999;18:5983-93 pubmed..Notch and several other transmembrane proteins are mislocalized in tissue clones homozygous for Ca-P60A mutations, demonstrating a general effect on membrane protein trafficking caused by a deficiency in Ca(2+)-ATPase. ..
- Li Y, Dijkers P. Specific calcineurin isoforms are involved in Drosophila toll immune signaling. J Immunol. 2015;194:168-76 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data identify a novel input, calcineurin, in Toll immune signaling and demonstrate involvement of specific calcineurin isoforms in Drosophila NF-ÎºB signaling. ..
- Zhang S, Yeromin A, Zhang X, Yu Y, Safrina O, Penna A, et al. Genome-wide RNAi screen of Ca(2+) influx identifies genes that regulate Ca(2+) release-activated Ca(2+) channel activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:9357-62 pubmed..The endoplasmic reticulum (ER) Ca(2+) pump sarco-/ER calcium ATPase (SERCA) and the single transmembrane-soluble N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive (NSF) attachment receptor (SNARE) ..
- Huang Z, Ren S, Jiang Y, Wang T. PINK1 and Parkin cooperatively protect neurons against constitutively active TRP channel-induced retinal degeneration in Drosophila. Cell Death Dis. 2016;7:e2179 pubmed publisher..In addition, the results demonstrated that maintaining mitochondrial homeostasis via PINK1/Parkin-dependent mitochondrial quality control can potentially alleviate cell death in a wide range of neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Chen H, Anagnostou G, Chai A, Withers J, Morris A, Adhikaree J, et al. Characterization of the properties of a novel mutation in VAPB in familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:40266-81 pubmed publisher..In summary, we show that this newly identified mutation in human FALS has a pathogenic effect, supporting and reinforcing the role of VAPB as a causative gene of ALS. ..