Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ser
Alias: CG6127, CT18858, Dmel\CG6127, Rpw, SER, mel(3)8, ser, std, serrate, CG6127-PA, CG6127-PB, Ser-PA, Ser-PB, beaded, dmSerrate, ripped wing, serratoid
Species: fruit fly
- de Celis J, de Celis J, Ligoxygakis P, Preiss A, Delidakis C, Bray S. Functional relationships between Notch, Su(H) and the bHLH genes of the E(spl) complex: the E(spl) genes mediate only a subset of Notch activities during imaginal development. Development. 1996;122:2719-28 pubmed..Transcriptional activation mediated by Suppressor of Hairless and transcriptional repression mediated by Enhancer of split could provide greater diversity in the response of individual genes to Notch activity. ..
- Artavanis Tsakonas S, Rand M, Lake R. Notch signaling: cell fate control and signal integration in development. Science. 1999;284:770-6 pubmed..Notch activity affects the implementation of differentiation, proliferation, and apoptotic programs, providing a general developmental tool to influence organ formation and morphogenesis. ..
- Herranz H, Stamataki E, Feiguin F, Milan M. Self-refinement of Notch activity through the transmembrane protein Crumbs: modulation of gamma-secretase activity. EMBO Rep. 2006;7:297-302 pubmed..These results indicate a novel molecular mechanism of the regulation of Notch signal, and also that defects in Crumbs might be involved in similar abnormal gamma-Secretase complex activity observed in Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Gu Y, Hukriede N, Fleming R. Serrate expression can functionally replace Delta activity during neuroblast segregation in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 1995;121:855-65 pubmedb>Serrate and Delta encode structurally related proteins in D. melanogaster that bind within a common extracellular region on the NOTCH receptor molecule...
- Klein T. Wing disc development in the fly: the early stages. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2001;11:470-5 pubmed..Recent data have now started to provide some insight in the molecular processes required for the definition of the major boundaries and subdivision of the wing anlage into the hinge and blade region. ..
- Baker N. Notch signaling in the nervous system. Pieces still missing from the puzzle. Bioessays. 2000;22:264-73 pubmed..This review will outline the experimental evidence supporting this view of Notch signaling, and briefly evaluate some of the possible mechanisms that have been suggested. ..
- Wang W, Struhl G. Distinct roles for Mind bomb, Neuralized and Epsin in mediating DSL endocytosis and signaling in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:2883-94 pubmedLigands of the Delta/Serrate/Lag2 (DSL) family must normally be endocytosed in signal-sending cells to activate Notch in signal-receiving cells...
- Baker N, Yu S, Han D. Evolution of proneural atonal expression during distinct regulatory phases in the developing Drosophila eye. Curr Biol. 1996;6:1290-301 pubmed..signalling using a temperature-sensitive Notch allele, by the expression of activated Notch or of the ligand Serrate, and by monitoring expression of the atonal-dependant gene scabrous and of the Notch-dependent Enhancer of split ..
- Micchelli C, Rulifson E, Blair S. The function and regulation of cut expression on the wing margin of Drosophila: Notch, Wingless and a dominant negative role for Delta and Serrate. Development. 1997;124:1485-95 pubmed..on the dorsal and ventral side by domains of cells expressing elevated levels of the Notch ligands Delta and Serrate. We show first that cut acts to maintain margin wingless expression, providing a potential explanation of the cut ..
- Ligoxygakis P, Yu S, Delidakis C, Baker N. A subset of notch functions during Drosophila eye development require Su(H) and the E(spl) gene complex. Development. 1998;125:2893-900 pubmed..Using misexpression experiments we also show that particular Enhancer-of-split bHLH genes can differ greatly in their contribution to lateral specification. ..
- Schweisguth F. Regulation of notch signaling activity. Curr Biol. 2004;14:R129-38 pubmed..Recent analyses of the cell biology of the Notch receptor have identified several fundamental mechanisms that contribute to regulate Notch signaling activity in space and time. ..
- de Celis J, Bray S. The Abruptex domain of Notch regulates negative interactions between Notch, its ligands and Fringe. Development. 2000;127:1291-302 pubmed..In the Drosophila wing disc, the activation of Notch by its ligands Delta and Serrate is required to make the dorsoventral boundary, where several genes, such as wingless and cut, are expressed in a ..
- Walters J, Munoz C, Paaby A, Dinardo S. Serrate-Notch signaling defines the scope of the initial denticle field by modulating EGFR activation. Dev Biol. 2005;286:415-26 pubmed..segmental patterning, distinct signaling territories are established that employ either the Hedgehog, Spitz, Serrate or Wingless ligands. How these pathways control segmental pattern is not completely clear...
- Krzemien J, Dubois L, Makki R, Meister M, Vincent A, Crozatier M. Control of blood cell homeostasis in Drosophila larvae by the posterior signalling centre. Nature. 2007;446:325-8 pubmed..b>Serrate-mediated Notch signalling from the PSC is required to maintain normal levels of col transcription...
- Meister M. Blood cells of Drosophila: cell lineages and role in host defence. Curr Opin Immunol. 2004;16:10-5 pubmed..Crystal cells and lamellocytes have no clear mammalian homologues. Research into the molecular mechanisms that underlie the various immune functions of Drosophila blood cells, such as non-self recognition, is now taking wing. ..
- Bachmann A, Knust E. Dissection of cis-regulatory elements of the Drosophila gene Serrate. Dev Genes Evol. 1998;208:346-51 pubmedThe Drosophila gene Serrate encodes a membrane spanning protein, which is expressed in a complex pattern during embryogenesis and larval stages...
- Sun X, Artavanis Tsakonas S. Secreted forms of DELTA and SERRATE define antagonists of Notch signaling in Drosophila. Development. 1997;124:3439-48 pubmedWe examined the function of secreted forms of the two known Drosophila Notch ligands, DELTA and SERRATE, by expressing them under various promoters in the Drosophila developing eye and wing...
- Lopez Schier H, St Johnston D. Delta signaling from the germ line controls the proliferation and differentiation of the somatic follicle cells during Drosophila oogenesis. Genes Dev. 2001;15:1393-405 pubmed..The germ line therefore regulates the development of the follicle cells through two complementary signaling pathways: Gurken signals twice to control spatial patterning, whereas Delta signals twice to exert temporal control. ..
- de Celis J, Garcia Bellido A. Modifications of the notch function by Abruptex mutations in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1994;136:183-94 pubmed..This protein functions as a receptor that interacts with other transmembrane proteins, such as Serrate and Delta, which also have EGF repeats in their extracellular domain...
- Pitsouli C, Delidakis C. The interplay between DSL proteins and ubiquitin ligases in Notch signaling. Development. 2005;132:4041-50 pubmed..Of the two Notch ligands Delta and Serrate, only the former was thought to participate in this process...
- Fleming R, Scottgale T, Diederich R, Artavanis Tsakonas S. The gene Serrate encodes a putative EGF-like transmembrane protein essential for proper ectodermal development in Drosophila melanogaster. Genes Dev. 1990;4:2188-201 pubmedMutations in the third chromosome gene Serrate are shown to display genetic interactions with specific alleles of the neurogenic locus Notch, which encodes a transmembrane protein with epidermal growth factor (EGF) homology...
- Vachias C, Couderc J, Grammont M. A two-step Notch-dependant mechanism controls the selection of the polar cell pair in Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2010;137:2703-11 pubmed publisher..Given its properties, this two-step Notch-dependent mechanism represents a novel aspect of Notch action. ..
- de Celis J, Tyler D, de Celis J, Bray S. Notch signalling mediates segmentation of the Drosophila leg. Development. 1998;125:4617-26 pubmed..The genes fringe, Delta, Serrate and Suppressor of Hairless, also participate in Notch function during leg development, and their expression is ..
- Baonza A, de Celis J, Garcia Bellido A. Relationships between extramacrochaetae and Notch signalling in Drosophila wing development. Development. 2000;127:2383-93 pubmed..We propose that at least during vein differentiation and wing margin formation, extramacrochaetae is regulated by Notch and collaborates with other Notch-downstream genes such as Enhancer of split-m(beta). ..
- Childress J, Acar M, Tao C, Halder G. Lethal giant discs, a novel C2-domain protein, restricts notch activation during endocytosis. Curr Biol. 2006;16:2228-33 pubmed..Taken together, our data identify Lgd as a novel tumor-suppressor protein that regulates Notch signaling by targeting Notch for degradation or recycling. ..
- Becam I, Fiuza U, Arias A, Milan M. A role of receptor Notch in ligand cis-inhibition in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2010;20:554-60 pubmed publisher..wing primordium with cell culture assays, we present evidence here that Notch promotes the clearance of Serrate ligand from the cell surface and exerts an inhibitory effect on the activity of Serrate expressed in the same ..
- Bachmann A, Knust E. Positive and negative control of Serrate expression during early development of the Drosophila wing. Mech Dev. 1998;76:67-78 pubmedThe product of the Drosophila gene Serrate acts as a short-range signal during wing development to induce the organising centre at the dorsal/ventral compartment boundary, from which growth and patterning of the wing is controlled...
- Ramain P, Khechumian K, Seugnet L, Arbogast N, Ackermann C, Heitzler P. Novel Notch alleles reveal a Deltex-dependent pathway repressing neural fate. Curr Biol. 2001;11:1729-38 pubmed..This activity, mediated by Deltex (Dx), represses neural fate and is antagonized by elements of the Wingless (Wg)-signaling cascade to allow alternative cell fate choices. ..
- Langdon T, Hayward P, Brennan K, Wirtz Peitz F, Sanders P, Zecchini V, et al. Notch receptor encodes two structurally separable functions in Drosophila: a genetic analysis. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:998-1013 pubmed..Our results support the existence of at least two different activities of Notch each of which can be associated with specific structural domains. ..
- Diaz Benjumea F, Cohen S. Serrate signals through Notch to establish a Wingless-dependent organizer at the dorsal/ventral compartment boundary of the Drosophila wing. Development. 1995;121:4215-25 pubmed..Interaction between cells in adjacent compartments establish the organizer. We report here that Serrate and Notch mediate the interaction between dorsal and ventral cells to direct localized expression of Wingless at ..
- Dahmann C, Basler K. Compartment boundaries: at the edge of development. Trends Genet. 1999;15:320-6 pubmed..Here, we describe the exciting progress that has been made recently towards elucidating the mechanisms of boundary formation. ..
- Speicher S, Thomas U, Hinz U, Knust E. The Serrate locus of Drosophila and its role in morphogenesis of the wing imaginal discs: control of cell proliferation. Development. 1994;120:535-44 pubmedThe Drosophila gene Serrate encodes a transmembrane protein with 14 EGF-like repeats in its extracellular domain. Here we show that loss-of-function mutations in this gene lead to larval lethality...
- Brückner K, Perez L, Clausen H, Cohen S. Glycosyltransferase activity of Fringe modulates Notch-Delta interactions. Nature. 2000;406:411-5 pubmed..We suggest that cell-type-specific modification of glycosylation may provide a general mechanism to regulate ligand-receptor interactions in vivo. ..
- Le Borgne R, Schweisguth F. Unequal segregation of Neuralized biases Notch activation during asymmetric cell division. Dev Cell. 2003;5:139-48 pubmed..We propose that coordinated upregulation of ligand activity by Neuralized and inhibition of receptor activity by Numb results in a robust bias in Notch signaling. ..
- Jung S, Evans C, Uemura C, Banerjee U. The Drosophila lymph gland as a developmental model of hematopoiesis. Development. 2005;132:2521-33 pubmed..The cellular events identified in this analysis further establish Drosophila as a model system for hematopoiesis. ..
- Baonza A, Freeman M. Notch signalling and the initiation of neural development in the Drosophila eye. Development. 2001;128:3889-98 pubmed..We also report that Notch drives the transition from pre-proneural to proneural by downregulating two repressors of Atonal: Hairy and Extramacrochaetae. ..
- Radtke F, Wilson A, MacDonald H. Notch signaling in hematopoiesis and lymphopoiesis: lessons from Drosophila. Bioessays. 2005;27:1117-28 pubmed..Recent studies indicating that aberrant NOTCH signaling is frequently linked to the induction of T leukemia in humans will also be discussed. ..
- Wang W, Struhl G. Drosophila Epsin mediates a select endocytic pathway that DSL ligands must enter to activate Notch. Development. 2004;131:5367-80 pubmedRecent findings suggest that Delta/Serrate/Lag2 (DSL) signals activate Notch by an unprecedented mechanism that requires the ligands to be endocytosed in signal-sending cells to activate the receptor in signal-receiving cells...
- Milan M, Cohen S. Temporal regulation of apterous activity during development of the Drosophila wing. Development. 2000;127:3069-78 pubmed..Apterous-dependent expression of Serrate and fringe in dorsal cells leads to the restricted activation of Notch along the dorsoventral compartment ..
- de Celis J, Garcia Bellido A, Bray S. Activation and function of Notch at the dorsal-ventral boundary of the wing imaginal disc. Development. 1996;122:359-69 pubmed..In addition, Serrate, a similar transmembrane protein to Delta, behaves as a ligand required in dorsal cells to activate Notch at the ..
- Le Borgne R, Remaud S, Hamel S, Schweisguth F. Two distinct E3 ubiquitin ligases have complementary functions in the regulation of delta and serrate signaling in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 2005;3:e96 pubmedSignaling by the Notch ligands Delta (Dl) and Serrate (Ser) regulates a wide variety of essential cell-fate decisions during animal development...
- Hori K, Fostier M, Ito M, Fuwa T, Go M, Okano H, et al. Drosophila deltex mediates suppressor of Hairless-independent and late-endosomal activation of Notch signaling. Development. 2004;131:5527-37 pubmed..compartment boundary enhancer of vestigial (vgBE), in a manner that was independent of the Delta (Dl)/Serrate (Ser) ligands- or Su(H)...
- Yan S, Gu Y, Li W, Fleming R. Multiple signaling pathways and a selector protein sequentially regulate Drosophila wing development. Development. 2004;131:285-98 pubmed..can be achieved during wing development, we studied the regulatory network that controls the expression of Serrate (Ser), a ligand for the Notch (N) signaling pathway, which is essential for the development of the Drosophila ..
- Ward E, Zhou X, Riddiford L, Berg C, Ruohola Baker H. Border of Notch activity establishes a boundary between the two dorsal appendage tube cell types. Dev Biol. 2006;297:461-70 pubmed..Generating a boundary by the Notch pathway might constitute an evolutionarily conserved first step during organ formation in many tissues. ..
- Bhattacharya A, Baker N. The HLH protein Extramacrochaetae is required for R7 cell and cone cell fates in the Drosophila eye. Dev Biol. 2009;327:288-300 pubmed publisher..A model is proposed in which Extramacrochaetae acts in parallel to or as a feed-forward regulator of the E(spl)-Complex to promote Notch signaling in particular cellular contexts. ..
- Zacharioudaki E, Magadi S, Delidakis C. bHLH-O proteins are crucial for Drosophila neuroblast self-renewal and mediate Notch-induced overproliferation. Development. 2012;139:1258-69 pubmed publisher..Therefore, E(spl) and Dpn act together to maintain the NB in a self-renewing state, a process in which they are assisted by Notch, which sustains expression of the E(spl) subset. ..
- Hukriede N, Gu Y, Fleming R. A dominant-negative form of Serrate acts as a general antagonist of Notch activation. Development. 1997;124:3427-37 pubmed..compartment boundary in the developing Drosophila wing disc requires activation of NOTCH from its dorsal ligand SERRATE and its ventral ligand DELTA...
- Papayannopoulos V, Tomlinson A, Panin V, Rauskolb C, Irvine K. Dorsal-ventral signaling in the Drosophila eye. Science. 1998;281:2031-4 pubmed..These observations imply that the developmental homology between Drosophila wings and vertebrate limbs extends to Drosophila eyes. ..
- Sun X, Artavanis Tsakonas S. The intracellular deletions of Delta and Serrate define dominant negative forms of the Drosophila Notch ligands. Development. 1996;122:2465-74 pubmedWe examined the function of the intracellular domains of the two known Drosophila Notch ligands, Delta and Serrate, by expressing wild-type and mutant forms in the developing Drosophila eye under the sevenless promoter...
- Greenwald I. Structure/function studies of lin-12/Notch proteins. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1994;4:556-62 pubmed..These studies have also suggested that the different lin-12/Notch proteins in a given organism are interchangeable biochemically and have addressed the role of lin-12/Notch genes in development. ..
- Brennan K, Tateson R, Lieber T, Couso J, Zecchini V, Arias A. The abruptex mutations of notch disrupt the establishment of proneural clusters in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1999;216:230-42 pubmed..In addition we show that the overexpression of certain dominant negative Notch molecules can disrupt the initiation of proneural cluster development in a manner similar to the Abruptex mutants. ..
- Dominguez M, Ferres Marco D, Gutiérrez Aviñó F, Speicher S, Beneyto M. Growth and specification of the eye are controlled independently by Eyegone and Eyeless in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Genet. 2004;36:31-9 pubmed..These results show that growth and eye specification are subject to independent control and explain hyperplasia in a new way. ..
- Jacobsen T, Brennan K, Arias A, Muskavitch M. Cis-interactions between Delta and Notch modulate neurogenic signalling in Drosophila. Development. 1998;125:4531-40 pubmedWe find that ectopic expression of Delta or Serrate in neurons within developing bristle organs is capable of non-autonomously inducing the transformation of the pre-trichogen cell into a tormogen cell in a wide variety of developmental ..
- Irvine K, Vogt T. Dorsal-ventral signaling in limb development. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1997;9:867-76 pubmed..Drosophila have indicated that Fringe functions by inhibiting the ability of Notch to be activated by one ligand, Serrate, while potentiating the ability of Notch to be activated by another ligand, Delta...
- Crozatier M, Ubeda J, Vincent A, Meister M. Cellular immune response to parasitization in Drosophila requires the EBF orthologue collier. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E196 pubmed..Further investigations on Col/EBF expression and function in other phyla should provide fresh insight into the evolutionary origin of lymphoid cells. ..
- de Celis J, Barrio R, Del Arco A, Garcia Bellido A. Genetic and molecular characterization of a Notch mutation in its Delta- and Serrate-binding domain in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:4037-41 pubmed..Two other transmembrane proteins, encoded by the genes Delta and Serrate, genetically and molecularly behave as Notch ligands...
- Struhl G, Adachi A. Requirements for presenilin-dependent cleavage of notch and other transmembrane proteins. Mol Cell. 2000;6:625-36 pubmed..Hence, Notch, beta-APP, and perhaps other proteins may be targeted for Presenilin-mediated transmembrane cleavage by upstream processing events that sever the extracellular domain from the rest of the protein. ..
- Rauskolb C, Correia T, Irvine K. Fringe-dependent separation of dorsal and ventral cells in the Drosophila wing. Nature. 1999;401:476-80 pubmed..Our results indicate that the primary mechanism by which fng establishes a compartment border is by positioning a stripe of Notch activation, but also that fng may exert additional influences on compartmentalization. ..
- Tomlinson A, Struhl G. Decoding vectorial information from a gradient: sequential roles of the receptors Frizzled and Notch in establishing planar polarity in the Drosophila eye. Development. 1999;126:5725-38 pubmed..As a consequence of this reciprocal cell fate decision, the R4 cell moves asymmetrically relative to the R3 cell, initiating the appropriate chiral pattern of the remaining cells of the ommatidium. ..
- Okajima T, Irvine K. Regulation of notch signaling by o-linked fucose. Cell. 2002;111:893-904 pubmed
- Lebestky T, Jung S, Banerjee U. A Serrate-expressing signaling center controls Drosophila hematopoiesis. Genes Dev. 2003;17:348-53 pubmed..Two major branches of Drosophila hematopoiesis give rise to plasmatocytes/macrophages and crystal cells. Serrate signaling through the Notch pathway is critical in the regulation of Lz expression and the specification of ..
- Klein T, Brennan K, Arias A. An intrinsic dominant negative activity of serrate that is modulated during wing development in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1997;189:123-34 pubmedThe Serrate and Delta genes of Drosophila encode two transmembrane proteins that act as ligands for the Notch receptor...
- Klein T, Arias A. Interactions among Delta, Serrate and Fringe modulate Notch activity during Drosophila wing development. Development. 1998;125:2951-62 pubmed..the activity of the dorsal specific nuclear protein Apterous, which regulates the expression of the Notch ligand, Serrate, and the Fringe signalling molecule...
- Lai E. Notch signaling: control of cell communication and cell fate. Development. 2004;131:965-73 pubmed..This primer describes the mechanism of Notch signal transduction and how it is used to control the formation of biological patterns. ..
- Ward E, Shcherbata H, Reynolds S, Fischer K, Hatfield S, Ruohola Baker H. Stem cells signal to the niche through the Notch pathway in the Drosophila ovary. Curr Biol. 2006;16:2352-8 pubmed..Conversely, when GCSs do not produce functional Notch ligands, Delta and Serrate, the TGF-beta pathway is not activated in the GSCs, and they differentiate and subsequently leave the niche...
- Grammont M. Adherens junction remodeling by the Notch pathway in Drosophila melanogaster oogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:139-50 pubmed..of AJ disassembly between the StCs is affected in follicles with somatic clones mutant for fringe or Delta and Serrate. This results in abnormal StC flattening and delayed MBFC displacement...
- Panin V, Papayannopoulos V, Wilson R, Irvine K. Fringe modulates Notch-ligand interactions. Nature. 1997;387:908-12 pubmed..Three genes, fringe (fng), Serrate (Ser) and Delta (Dl), are involved in the cellular interactions leading to Notch activation...
- Glittenberg M, Pitsouli C, Garvey C, Delidakis C, Bray S. Role of conserved intracellular motifs in Serrate signalling, cis-inhibition and endocytosis. EMBO J. 2006;25:4697-706 pubmed..Its ligands (e.g. Serrate) are transmembrane proteins whose signalling competence is regulated by the endocytosis-promoting E3 ubiquitin ..
- Martinez A, Schuettengruber B, Sakr S, Janic A, Gonzalez C, Cavalli G. Polyhomeotic has a tumor suppressor activity mediated by repression of Notch signaling. Nat Genet. 2009;41:1076-82 pubmed publisher..These data show that ph is a tumor suppressor locus that controls cellular proliferation by silencing multiple Notch signaling components. ..
- Fontana J, Posakony J. Both inhibition and activation of Notch signaling rely on a conserved Neuralized-binding motif in Bearded proteins and the Notch ligand Delta. Dev Biol. 2009;333:373-85 pubmed publisher..Our results illuminate the mechanism of an important regulatory event in Notch signaling that appears to be conserved between insects and crustaceans. ..
- Fanto M, Mlodzik M. Asymmetric Notch activation specifies photoreceptors R3 and R4 and planar polarity in the Drosophila eye. Nature. 1999;397:523-6 pubmed..This two-tiered mechanism explains how small differences in the level and/or timing of Fz activation reliably generate a binary cell-fate decision, leading to specification of R3 and R4 and ommatidial chirality. ..
- Fleming R, Gu Y, Hukriede N. Serrate-mediated activation of Notch is specifically blocked by the product of the gene fringe in the dorsal compartment of the Drosophila wing imaginal disc. Development. 1997;124:2973-81 pubmed..The Notch ligands Serrate and Delta are required on opposite sides of the presumptive wing margin and, even though activated forms of Notch ..
- Seugnet L, Simpson P, Haenlin M. Transcriptional regulation of Notch and Delta: requirement for neuroblast segregation in Drosophila. Development. 1997;124:2015-25 pubmed..Notch signalling would enable all cells to mutually repress each other and only a cell with an elevated neural potential could overcome this repression. ..
- Mukherjee T, Kim W, Mandal L, Banerjee U. Interaction between Notch and Hif-alpha in development and survival of Drosophila blood cells. Science. 2011;332:1210-3 pubmed publisher..Studies in vertebrate myeloid cells have shown a similar up-regulation of Hif-? protein in well-oxygenated environments. This study provides a mechanistic paradigm for Hif-?/Notch interaction that may be conserved in mammals. ..
- Singh A, Shi X, Choi K. Lobe and Serrate are required for cell survival during early eye development in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:4771-81 pubmed..Here, we show that Lobe (L) and the Notch (N) ligand Serrate (Ser), which are both involved in ventral eye growth, are required for cell survival in the early eye disc...
- Irvine K. Fringe, Notch, and making developmental boundaries. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1999;9:434-41 pubmed..Lunatic Fringe has been shown to be required for vertebrate somitogenesis, where it appears to act as a crucial link between a molecular clock and the regulation of Notch signaling. ..
- Greenwald I. LIN-12/Notch signaling: lessons from worms and flies. Genes Dev. 1998;12:1751-62 pubmed
- Couso J, Knust E, Martinez Arias A. Serrate and wingless cooperate to induce vestigial gene expression and wing formation in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 1995;5:1437-48 pubmed..We have identified four genes--Serrate (Ser), wingless (wg), Notch and Suppressor of Hairless (Su(H))--whose activity is required during the second and ..
- Lieber T, Kidd S, Struhl G. DSL-Notch signaling in the Drosophila brain in response to olfactory stimulation. Neuron. 2011;69:468-81 pubmed publisherDelta/Serrate/Lag2 (DSL) ligands and their Notch family receptors have profound and pervasive roles in development. They are also expressed in adult tissues, notably in mature neurons and glia in the brain, where their roles are unknown...
- Panin V, Shao L, Lei L, Moloney D, Irvine K, Haltiwanger R. Notch ligands are substrates for protein O-fucosyltransferase-1 and Fringe. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:29945-52 pubmed..O-fucose on mammalian Delta 1 and Jagged1 can be elongated with Manic Fringe in vivo, and Drosophila Delta and Serrate are substrates for Drosophila Fringe in vitro...
- Troost T, Klein T. Sequential Notch signalling at the boundary of fringe expressing and non-expressing cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49007 pubmed publisher..It appears that mutual signalling from dorsal to ventral and ventral to dorsal cells by the Notch ligands Serrate (Ser) and Delta (Dl) respectively establishes a symmetric domain of Wg that straddles the D/V boundary...
- Gonzalez A, Chaouiya C, Thieffry D. Dynamical analysis of the regulatory network defining the dorsal-ventral boundary of the Drosophila wing imaginal disc. Genetics. 2006;174:1625-34 pubmed..Finally, another mutant simulation shows that cut expression might be shifted to late larval stages because of a potential interference with the early signaling process. ..
- Li Y, Baker N. The roles of cis-inactivation by Notch ligands and of neuralized during eye and bristle patterning in Drosophila. BMC Dev Biol. 2004;4:5 pubmed..High ligand expression levels were required for cis-inactivation, and Serrate was more effective than Delta, although Delta is the ligand normally regulating neural specification...