Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sep2
Description: Septin 2
Alias: 38961, CG4173, DSep2, Dmel\CG4173, sep2, septin 2, CG4173-PA, CG4173-PB, Sep2-PA, Sep2-PB, Septin2, septin, septin-2
Species: fruit fly
- Field C, al Awar O, Rosenblatt J, Wong M, Alberts B, Mitchison T. A purified Drosophila septin complex forms filaments and exhibits GTPase activity. J Cell Biol. 1996;133:605-16 pubmedb>Septin proteins are necessary for cytokinesis in budding yeast and Drosophila and are thought to be the subunits of the yeast neck filaments...
- Founounou N, Loyer N, Le Borgne R. Septins regulate the contractility of the actomyosin ring to enable adherens junction remodeling during cytokinesis of epithelial cells. Dev Cell. 2013;24:242-55 pubmed publisher..By modulating the strength of tension induced by neighbors, we uncover a mechanical function for septins to overcome the extrinsic tension induced by neighboring interphasic cells. ..
- Hime G, Brill J, Fuller M. Assembly of ring canals in the male germ line from structural components of the contractile ring. J Cell Sci. 1996;109 ( Pt 12):2779-88 pubmed..However, at least four proteins present at the contractile ring remain: the three septins (Pnut, Sep1 and Sep2) and anillin...
- Miller K, Kiehart D. Fly division. J Cell Biol. 1995;131:1-5 pubmed
- Bergner L, Hickman F, Wood K, Wakeman C, Stone H, Campbell T, et al. A novel predicted bromodomain-related protein affects coordination between meiosis and spermiogenesis in Drosophila and is required for male meiotic cytokinesis. DNA Cell Biol. 2010;29:487-98 pubmed publisher..We speculate that Mitoshell may participate in transcriptional regulation of spermatogenesis-specific genes, though perhaps with different ligand specificity compared to traditional bromodomains. ..
- O Neill R, Clark D. Evolution of three parent genes and their retrogene copies in Drosophila species. Int J Evol Biol. 2013;2013:693085 pubmed publisher..family Drosophilidae; in Drosophila melanogaster, these gene pairs are CG8331 and CG4960, CG17734 and CG11825, and Sep2 and Sep5. We investigated the embryonic expression patterns of these gene pairs across multiple Drosophila species...
- Robinson D, Cooley L. Stable intercellular bridges in development: the cytoskeleton lining the tunnel. Trends Cell Biol. 1996;6:474-9 pubmed
- Field C, Oegema K, Zheng Y, Mitchison T, Walczak C. Purification of cytoskeletal proteins using peptide antibodies. Methods Enzymol. 1998;298:525-41 pubmed
- Djagaeva I, Doronkin S, Beckendorf S. Src64 is involved in fusome development and karyosome formation during Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2005;284:143-56 pubmed..Our results indicate that Src64 regulates actin dynamics at multiple stages of oogenesis. ..
- Menon M, Gaestel M. Sep(t)arate or not â€“ how some cells take septin-independent routes through cytokinesis. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:1877-86 pubmed publisher..we present recent observations that specific cell divisions can proceed in the absence of the core mammalian septin SEPT7 and its Drosophila homolog Peanut (Pnut) and that thus challenge the view that septins have an essential ..
- Su J, Chow B, Boulianne G, Wilde A. The BAR domain of amphiphysin is required for cleavage furrow tip-tubule formation during cellularization in Drosophila embryos. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:1444-53 pubmed publisher..The tubules are marked by amphiphysin but are otherwise poorly understood. Here we identify the septin family of GTPases as new tubule markers...
- Akhmetova K, Balasov M, Huijbregts R, Chesnokov I. Functional insight into the role of Orc6 in septin complex filament formation in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:15-28 pubmed publisher..We reconstituted a recombinant Drosophila septin complex and compared activities of the wild-type and several mutant septin complex variants both in vitro and in ..
- O Neill R, Clark D. Partial Functional Diversification of Drosophila melanogaster Septin Genes Sep2 and Sep5. G3 (Bethesda). 2016;6:1947-57 pubmed publisherThe septin family of hetero-oligomeric complex-forming proteins can be divided into subgroups, and subgroup members are interchangeable at specific positions in the septin complex...
- O Neill R, Clark D. The Drosophila melanogaster septin gene Sep2 has a redundant function with the retrogene Sep5 in imaginal cell proliferation but is essential for oogenesis. Genome. 2013;56:753-8 pubmed publisher..Drosophila melanogaster has five septin genes. Sep5, which is the most recently evolved septin gene in Drosophila, is a retrogene copy of Sep2...
- Morais de Sá E, Sunkel C. Adherens junctions determine the apical position of the midbody during follicular epithelial cell division. EMBO Rep. 2013;14:696-703 pubmed publisher..Thus, apical midbody localization is essential to maintain epithelial tissue architecture during proliferation. ..
- Oegema K, Desai A, Wong M, Mitchison T, Field C. Purification and assay of a septin complex from Drosophila embryos. Methods Enzymol. 1998;298:279-95 pubmed
- Sechi S, Colotti G, Belloni G, Mattei V, Frappaolo A, Raffa G, et al. GOLPH3 is essential for contractile ring formation and Rab11 localization to the cleavage site during cytokinesis in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004305 pubmed publisher..of GOLPH3 enables maintenance of centralspindlin and Rho1 at cell equator and stabilization of Myosin II and Septin rings...
- Taniguchi K, Kokuryo A, Imano T, Minami R, Nakagoshi H, Adachi Yamada T. Isoform-specific functions of Mud/NuMA mediate binucleation of Drosophila male accessory gland cells. BMC Dev Biol. 2014;14:46 pubmed publisher..We also propose that Mud(S) is a key regulator triggering cytokinesis skipping in binucleation processes. ..