Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sens
Alias: 1228/04, CG10714, CG32120, Dmel\CG32120, Gfi1, Ly-1, SENS, Sen, Sens, l(3)70Ad, sen, sense, senseless, CG32120-PA, lyra, sens-PA, sensesless, sensless
Species: fruit fly
- Li Y, Baker N. Proneural enhancement by Notch overcomes Suppressor-of-Hairless repressor function in the developing Drosophila eye. Curr Biol. 2001;11:330-8 pubmed..in the absence of Su(H), and this led to premature differentiation and upregulation of the Atonal and Senseless proteins...
- Franch Marro X, Wendler F, Guidato S, Griffith J, Baena Lopez A, Itasaki N, et al. Wingless secretion requires endosome-to-Golgi retrieval of Wntless/Evi/Sprinter by the retromer complex. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:170-7 pubmed publisher..Indeed expression of senseless, a short-range target gene, is lost in Vps35-deficient imaginal discs...
- Nolo R, Abbott L, Bellen H. Drosophila Lyra mutations are gain-of-function mutations of senseless. Genetics. 2001;157:307-15 pubmed..We have previously shown that senseless, a gene that is necessary and sufficient for peripheral nervous system (PNS) development, is allelic to Lyra...
- Kanuka H, Kuranaga E, Takemoto K, Hiratou T, Okano H, Miura M. Drosophila caspase transduces Shaggy/GSK-3beta kinase activity in neural precursor development. EMBO J. 2005;24:3793-806 pubmed..These results imply a novel role for caspases in modulating cell signaling pathways through substrate cleavage in neural precursor development...
- Baeg G, Selva E, Goodman R, DasGupta R, Perrimon N. The Wingless morphogen gradient is established by the cooperative action of Frizzled and Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycan receptors. Dev Biol. 2004;276:89-100 pubmed..Taken together, our analysis illustrates how the coordinated activities of HSPGs and Fz/DFz2 shape the Wg morphogen gradient. ..
- Lin H, Doroquez D, Cho S, Chen F, Rebay I, Cadigan K. Splits ends is a tissue/promoter specific regulator of Wingless signaling. Development. 2003;130:3125-35 pubmed..However, it has no detectable role in the embryonic Wingless pathway, suggesting that it is a tissue or promoter-specific factor. ..
- Gross J, Chaudhary V, Bartscherer K, Boutros M. Active Wnt proteins are secreted on exosomes. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:1036-45 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates an evolutionarily conserved functional role of extracellular vesicular transport of Wnt proteins. ..
- Castro B, Barolo S, Bailey A, Posakony J. Lateral inhibition in proneural clusters: cis-regulatory logic and default repression by Suppressor of Hairless. Development. 2005;132:3333-44 pubmed publisher..Our work elucidates the regulatory logic by which N signaling and the proneural proteins cooperate to create the neural precursor/epidermal cell fate distinction during lateral inhibition...
- Quan X, Denayer T, Yan J, Jafar Nejad H, Philippi A, Lichtarge O, et al. Evolution of neural precursor selection: functional divergence of proneural proteins. Development. 2004;131:1679-89 pubmed..interactions with different types of zinc (Zn)-finger proteins mediate the divergence of ATO and NGN activities: Senseless is required for ATO group activity, whereas MyT1 is required for NGN group function...
- Mikeladze Dvali T, Wernet M, Pistillo D, Mazzoni E, Teleman A, Chen Y, et al. The growth regulators warts/lats and melted interact in a bistable loop to specify opposite fates in Drosophila R8 photoreceptors. Cell. 2005;122:775-87 pubmed..This represents an unexpected postmitotic role for genes controlling cell proliferation (warts and its partner hippo and salvador) and cell growth (melted). ..
- Pepple K, Atkins M, Venken K, Wellnitz K, Harding M, Frankfort B, et al. Two-step selection of a single R8 photoreceptor: a bistable loop between senseless and rough locks in R8 fate. Development. 2008;135:4071-9 pubmed publisher..We also show that Ro directly represses the R8 specific zinc-finger transcription factor senseless (sens) in the developing R2,5 precursors to block ectopic R8 differentiation...
- Schubiger M, Carré C, Antoniewski C, Truman J. Ligand-dependent de-repression via EcR/USP acts as a gate to coordinate the differentiation of sensory neurons in the Drosophila wing. Development. 2005;132:5239-48 pubmed..For the chemosensory organ precursors along the wing margin, the block is at the level of senseless expression and is indirect, via the repressive control of broad expression...
- Sprecher S, Desplan C. Switch of rhodopsin expression in terminally differentiated Drosophila sensory neurons. Nature. 2008;454:533-7 pubmed publisher..We also show that the transcription factor Senseless (Sens) mediates the very different cellular behaviours of Rh5 and Rh6 photoreceptors...
- Kreuger J, Perez L, Giraldez A, Cohen S. Opposing activities of Dally-like glypican at high and low levels of Wingless morphogen activity. Dev Cell. 2004;7:503-12 pubmed..Notum-induced shedding of Dlp could convert Dlp from a membrane-tethered coreceptor to a secreted antagonist. ..
- Belenkaya T, Wu Y, Tang X, Zhou B, Cheng L, Sharma Y, et al. The retromer complex influences Wnt secretion by recycling wntless from endosomes to the trans-Golgi network. Dev Cell. 2008;14:120-31 pubmed..Our findings link Wls and retromer functions in the same conserved Wnt secretion pathway. We propose that retromer influences Wnt secretion by recycling Wntless from endosomes to the trans-Golgi network (TGN). ..
- Harterink M, Port F, Lorenowicz M, McGough I, Silhankova M, Betist M, et al. A SNX3-dependent retromer pathway mediates retrograde transport of the Wnt sorting receptor Wntless and is required for Wnt secretion. Nat Cell Biol. 2011;13:914-923 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that SNX3 is part of an alternative retromer pathway that functionally separates the retrograde transport of Wls from other retromer cargo. ..
- Pappu K, Chen R, Middlebrooks B, Woo C, Heberlein U, Mardon G. Mechanism of hedgehog signaling during Drosophila eye development. Development. 2003;130:3053-62 pubmed..Moreover, while the effects of Hh are primarily concentration dependent in other tissues, hh signaling in the eye acts as a binary switch to initiate retinal morphogenesis by inducing expression of the tissue-specific factor Eya. ..
- Bellaiche Y, Beaudoin Massiani O, Stuttem I, Schweisguth F. The planar cell polarity protein Strabismus promotes Pins anterior localization during asymmetric division of sensory organ precursor cells in Drosophila. Development. 2004;131:469-78 pubmed..We propose that the Stbm-dependent recruitment of Pins at the anterior cortex of the pI cell is a novel read-out of planar cell polarity. ..
- Seto E, Bellen H. Internalization is required for proper Wingless signaling in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:95-106 pubmed..As these data indicate that endosomal transport promotes Wg signaling, our findings suggest that the regulation of endocytosis is a novel mechanism through which Wg signaling levels are determined. ..
- Frankfort B, Nolo R, Zhang Z, Bellen H, Mardon G. senseless repression of rough is required for R8 photoreceptor differentiation in the developing Drosophila eye. Neuron. 2001;32:403-14 pubmed..We show that in senseless mutant tissue, R8 differentiation fails and the presumptive R8 cell adopts the R2/R5 fate...
- Pappu K, Ostrin E, Middlebrooks B, Sili B, Chen R, Atkins M, et al. Dual regulation and redundant function of two eye-specific enhancers of the Drosophila retinal determination gene dachshund. Development. 2005;132:2895-905 pubmed..Our results suggest that the two eye enhancers act redundantly and in concert with each other to integrate distinct upstream inputs and direct the eye-specific expression of dac. ..
- zur Lage P, Powell L, Prentice D, McLaughlin P, Jarman A. EGF receptor signaling triggers recruitment of Drosophila sense organ precursors by stimulating proneural gene autoregulation. Dev Cell. 2004;7:687-96 pubmed publisherIn Drosophila, commitment of a cell to a sense organ precursor (SOP) fate requires bHLH proneural transcription factor upregulation, a process that depends in most cases on the interplay of proneural gene autoregulation and inhibitory ..
- Domingos P, Brown S, Barrio R, Ratnakumar K, Frankfort B, Mardon G, et al. Regulation of R7 and R8 differentiation by the spalt genes. Dev Biol. 2004;273:121-33 pubmed..We show that spalt is necessary for senseless expression in R8 and sufficient to induce ectopic senseless in R1-R6 during pupation...
- Jafar Nejad H, Acar M, Nolo R, Lacin H, Pan H, Parkhurst S, et al. Senseless acts as a binary switch during sensory organ precursor selection. Genes Dev. 2003;17:2966-78 pubmed..Here, we present evidence that Senseless (Sens), a zinc-finger transcription factor, plays an important role in this process...
- Langevin J, Le Borgne R, Rosenfeld F, Gho M, Schweisguth F, Bellaiche Y. Lethal giant larvae controls the localization of notch-signaling regulators numb, neuralized, and Sanpodo in Drosophila sensory-organ precursor cells. Curr Biol. 2005;15:955-62 pubmed..Thus, Lgl regulates cell fate by controlling Pon cortical localization, asymmetric localization of Numb and Neuralized, and plasma-membrane localization of Sandopo. ..
- Mirth C, Truman J, Riddiford L. The ecdysone receptor controls the post-critical weight switch to nutrition-independent differentiation in Drosophila wing imaginal discs. Development. 2009;136:2345-53 pubmed publisher..5 hours after third instar ecdysis (AL3E)] fed on sucrose alone showed suppressed Wingless (WG), Cut (CT) and Senseless (SENS) expression...
- Yang L, Baker N. Cell cycle withdrawal, progression, and cell survival regulation by EGFR and its effectors in the differentiating Drosophila eye. Dev Cell. 2003;4:359-69 pubmed..Our results suggest that, rather than triggering all or none responses, EGFR coordinates partially independent processes as the eye differentiates. ..
- zur Lage P, Jarman A. The function and regulation of the bHLH gene, cato, in Drosophila neurogenesis. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:34 pubmed publisher..In these cells, we propose that it plays roles in sense organ precursor maintenance and/or identity, and in controlling the number of cell divisions in the neuronal ..
- Smith C, Lau K, Rahmani Z, Dho S, Brothers G, She Y, et al. aPKC-mediated phosphorylation regulates asymmetric membrane localization of the cell fate determinant Numb. EMBO J. 2007;26:468-80 pubmed..These results suggest a model in which phosphorylation of Numb by aPKC regulates its polarized distribution in epithelial cells as well as during asymmetric cell divisions. ..
- Jukam D, Xie B, Rister J, TERRELL D, Charlton Perkins M, Pistillo D, et al. Opposite feedbacks in the Hippo pathway for growth control and neural fate. Science. 2013;342:1238016 pubmed publisher..Altering feedback architecture provides an efficient mechanism to co-opt conserved signaling networks for diverse purposes in development and evolution. ..
- Bartscherer K, Pelte N, Ingelfinger D, Boutros M. Secretion of Wnt ligands requires Evi, a conserved transmembrane protein. Cell. 2006;125:523-33 pubmed..Our results show that Wg is retained by evi mutant cells and suggest that evi is the founding member of a gene family specifically required for Wg/Wnt secretion. ..
- Franch Marro X, Marchand O, Piddini E, Ricardo S, Alexandre C, Vincent J. Glypicans shunt the Wingless signal between local signalling and further transport. Development. 2005;132:659-66 pubmed..Thus, Dally-like act as a gatekeeper, ensuring the sharing of Wingless among cells along the dorsoventral axis. Our analysis suggests that the other glypican, Dally, could act as a classical co-receptor. ..
- Morey M, Yee S, Herman T, Nern A, Blanco E, Zipursky S. Coordinate control of synaptic-layer specificity and rhodopsins in photoreceptor neurons. Nature. 2008;456:795-9 pubmed publisher..Genetic experiments indicate that this is due solely to the derepression of the R8-specific transcription factor Senseless (Sens) late in R7 differentiation...
- Chandrasekaran V, Beckendorf S. senseless is necessary for the survival of embryonic salivary glands in Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:4719-28 pubmed..We explain how one organ, salivary glands, of Drosophila embryos avoids apoptosis. senseless (sens), a Zn-finger transcription factor, is expressed in the salivary primordium and later in the ..
- Johnston L, Sanders A. Wingless promotes cell survival but constrains growth during Drosophila wing development. Nat Cell Biol. 2003;5:827-33 pubmed..We propose that the cell-survival- and growth-constraining activities of Wg function to sculpt and delimit final wing size as part of its overall patterning programme. ..
- Shinza Kameda M, Takasu E, Sakurai K, Hayashi S, Nose A. Regulation of layer-specific targeting by reciprocal expression of a cell adhesion molecule, capricious. Neuron. 2006;49:205-13 pubmed..CAPS promotes homophilic cell adhesion in transfected S2 cells. These results suggest that CAPS regulates layer-specific targeting by mediating specific axon-target interaction. ..
- Tsuda H, Jafar Nejad H, Patel A, Sun Y, Chen H, Rose M, et al. The AXH domain of Ataxin-1 mediates neurodegeneration through its interaction with Gfi-1/Senseless proteins. Cell. 2005;122:633-44 pubmed..We show that the Drosophila and mammalian transcription factors Senseless/Gfi-1 interact with Atx-1's AXH domain...
- Acar M, Jafar Nejad H, Giagtzoglou N, Yallampalli S, David G, He Y, et al. Senseless physically interacts with proneural proteins and functions as a transcriptional co-activator. Development. 2006;133:1979-89 pubmedThe zinc-finger transcription factor Senseless is co-expressed with basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) proneural proteins in Drosophila sensory organ precursors and is required for their normal development...
- Piddini E, Vincent J. Interpretation of the wingless gradient requires signaling-induced self-inhibition. Cell. 2009;136:296-307 pubmed publisher..Without lateral inhibition, some cells acquire ectopic fates. Lateral inhibition may be a general mechanism behind the interpretation of morphogen gradients. ..
- Zhang P, Wu Y, Belenkaya T, Lin X. SNX3 controls Wingless/Wnt secretion through regulating retromer-dependent recycling of Wntless. Cell Res. 2011;21:1677-90 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings suggest that DSNX3 acts as a cargo-specific component of retromer, which is required for endocytic recycling of Wls and Wg/Wnt secretion. ..
- Hamel S, Fantini J, Schweisguth F. Notch ligand activity is modulated by glycosphingolipid membrane composition in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:581-94 pubmed publisher..Together, our data indicate that specific GSLs modulate the signaling activity of Notch ligands. ..
- zur Lage P, Prentice D, Holohan E, Jarman A. The Drosophila proneural gene amos promotes olfactory sensillum formation and suppresses bristle formation. Development. 2003;130:4683-93 pubmed..This supports a model of inhibitory interactions between proneural genes, whereby ato-like genes (amos and ato) must suppress sensory bristle fate as well as promote alternative sense organ subtypes.
- Zhang T, Ranade S, Cai C, Clouser C, Pignoni F. Direct control of neurogenesis by selector factors in the fly eye: regulation of atonal by Ey and So. Development. 2006;133:4881-9 pubmed..The subordination of neurogenesis to the RD pathway in the eye provides a direct mechanism for the coordination of neurogenesis and tissue specification during sensory organ formation. ..
- Baker N, Yu S. The EGF receptor defines domains of cell cycle progression and survival to regulate cell number in the developing Drosophila eye. Cell. 2001;104:699-708 pubmed..Through proliferation and survival control, such signals couple the total number of uncommitted cells being generated to the neural patterning of the retina. ..
- Escudero L, Bischoff M, Freeman M. Myosin II regulates complex cellular arrangement and epithelial architecture in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2007;13:717-29 pubmed..Our work implies that regulation of the actomyosin cytoskeleton can control morphogenesis by regulating both individual cell shapes and their complex two-dimensional arrangement within epithelia. ..
- Cook T, Pichaud F, Sonneville R, Papatsenko D, Desplan C. Distinction between color photoreceptor cell fates is controlled by Prospero in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2003;4:853-64 pubmed..Furthermore, this study provides transcriptional targets for pros that may lend insight into its role in regulating neuronal development in flies and vertebrates. ..
- Jafar Nejad H, Tien A, Acar M, Bellen H. Senseless and Daughterless confer neuronal identity to epithelial cells in the Drosophila wing margin. Development. 2006;133:1683-92 pubmed..Here, we show that the zinc-finger transcription factor Senseless, together with Daughterless, plays the proneural role for the wing margin mechanosensory precursors, whereas ..
- Lai E, Roegiers F, Qin X, Jan Y, Rubin G. The ubiquitin ligase Drosophila Mind bomb promotes Notch signaling by regulating the localization and activity of Serrate and Delta. Development. 2005;132:2319-32 pubmed..We conclude that ubiquitination of Delta and Serrate by Neuralized and D-mib is an obligate feature of DSL ligand activation throughout Drosophila development. ..
- Herranz H, Stamataki E, Feiguin F, Milan M. Self-refinement of Notch activity through the transmembrane protein Crumbs: modulation of gamma-secretase activity. EMBO Rep. 2006;7:297-302 pubmed..These results indicate a novel molecular mechanism of the regulation of Notch signal, and also that defects in Crumbs might be involved in similar abnormal gamma-Secretase complex activity observed in Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Frankfort B, Mardon G. Senseless represses nuclear transduction of Egfr pathway activation. Development. 2004;131:563-70 pubmed..R8 differentiation is instead under the control of the transcription factor Senseless. We show that high levels of Egfr activation are incompatible with R8 differentiation and describe the mechanism ..
- Herranz H, Perez L, Martín F, Milan M. A Wingless and Notch double-repression mechanism regulates G1-S transition in the Drosophila wing. EMBO J. 2008;27:1633-45 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that Notch acts in this cellular context as a repressor of cell-cycle progression and Wg has a permissive role in alleviating Notch-mediated repression of G1-S progression in wing cells. ..
- Mukai A, Yamamoto Hino M, Awano W, Watanabe W, Komada M, Goto S. Balanced ubiquitylation and deubiquitylation of Frizzled regulate cellular responsiveness to Wg/Wnt. EMBO J. 2010;29:2114-25 pubmed publisher..These results unveil a novel mechanism that regulates the cellular responsiveness to Wg/Wnt by controlling the cell surface level of Frizzled. ..
- Koelzer S, Klein T. A Notch-independent function of Suppressor of Hairless during the development of the bristle sensory organ precursor cell of Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:1973-88 pubmed..We find that loss of Su(H) function leads to an arrest of SOP development because of the loss of sens expression in the SOP...
- Yan D, Wu Y, Feng Y, Lin S, Lin X. The core protein of glypican Dally-like determines its biphasic activity in wingless morphogen signaling. Dev Cell. 2009;17:470-81 pubmed publisher..Based on these data, we propose that the principal function of Dlp is to retain Wg on the cell surface. As such, it can either compete with the receptor or provide ligands to the receptor, depending on the ratios of Wg, Fz2, and Dlp. ..
- Pitsouli C, Delidakis C. The interplay between DSL proteins and ubiquitin ligases in Notch signaling. Development. 2005;132:4041-50 pubmed..Simultaneous absence of neuralized and mib1 completely abolishes Notch signaling in both aforementioned contexts, making it likely that ubiquitination is a prerequisite for Delta/Serrate signaling. ..
- Jusiak B, Abulimiti A, Haelterman N, Chen R, Mardon G. MAPK target sites of eyes absent are not required for eye development or survival in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50776 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate similar genomic rescue strategies may prove useful for re-evaluating other long-standing Drosophila developmental models. ..
- Li Kroeger D, Witt L, Grimes H, Cook T, Gebelein B. Hox and senseless antagonism functions as a molecular switch to regulate EGF secretion in the Drosophila PNS. Dev Cell. 2008;15:298-308 pubmed publisher..mechanism: the permissive regulation of EGF secretion, and thereby cell specification, by antagonizing the Senseless transcription factor in the peripheral nervous system...
- Bänziger C, Soldini D, Schütt C, Zipperlen P, Hausmann G, Basler K. Wntless, a conserved membrane protein dedicated to the secretion of Wnt proteins from signaling cells. Cell. 2006;125:509-22 pubmed
- McDonald E, Xie B, Workman M, Charlton Perkins M, Terrell D, Reischl J, et al. Separable transcriptional regulatory domains within Otd control photoreceptor terminal differentiation events. Dev Biol. 2010;347:122-32 pubmed publisher..Thus, these studies provide a basis for identifying shared molecular pathways involved in a wide range of developmental processes. ..
- Le Borgne R, Remaud S, Hamel S, Schweisguth F. Two distinct E3 ubiquitin ligases have complementary functions in the regulation of delta and serrate signaling in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 2005;3:e96 pubmed..We conclude that D-mib and Neur are two structurally distinct proteins that have similar molecular activities but distinct developmental functions in Drosophila. ..
- Sharp N, Agrawal A. Mating density and the strength of sexual selection against deleterious alleles in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution. 2008;62:857-67 pubmed publisher..In most cases, sexual selection is as strong or stronger than these other forms of selection. ..
- Nolo R, Abbott L, Bellen H. Senseless, a Zn finger transcription factor, is necessary and sufficient for sensory organ development in Drosophila. Cell. 2000;102:349-62 pubmedThe senseless (sens) gene is required for proper development of most cell types of the embryonic and adult peripheral nervous system (PNS) of Drosophila...