Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SelD
Description: Selenide,water dikinase
Alias: 142926_at, CG8553, Dm SelD, Dm-SelD, Dmel\CG8553, SPS1, SeS, anon-WO0172774.145, anon-WO0172774.146, dSPS1, dsps1, l(2)SH1599, l(2)SH2 1599, l(2)k12303, ptf1, ptuf, ptuf1, selD, selD/sps1, Selenide,water dikinase, CG8553-PA, CG8553-PB, SelD-PA, SelD-PB, lethal (2) SH1599, patufet, selD-like, selenide,water dikinase, selenophosphate synthetase, selenophosphate synthetase 1
Species: fruit fly
- Chapple C, Guigo R. Relaxation of selective constraints causes independent selenoprotein extinction in insect genomes. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2968 pubmed publisher..The dispensability of selenoproteins in insects may be related to the fundamental differences in antioxidant defense between these animals and other metazoans. ..
- Alsina B, Serras F, Baguna J, Corominas M. Characterisation of a selenophosphate synthetase from a collection of P-lacW insertion mutants in Drosophila. Int J Dev Biol. 1996;Suppl 1:85S pubmed
- Hirosawa Takamori M, Jackle H, Vorbrüggen G. The class 2 selenophosphate synthetase gene of Drosophila contains a functional mammalian-type SECIS. EMBO Rep. 2000;1:441-6 pubmed..the selenium donor required for the synthesis of selenocysteine (Sec) is catalyzed by the enzyme selenophosphate synthetase (SPS), first described in Escherichia coli...
- Doumanis J, Wada K, Kino Y, Moore A, Nukina N. RNAi screening in Drosophila cells identifies new modifiers of mutant huntingtin aggregation. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7275 pubmed publisher..Newly identified modifiers including genes related to nuclear transport, nucleotide processes, and signaling, may be involved in polyglutamine aggregate formation and Huntington disease cascades. ..
- Tang L, Reddy M, Rasheva V, Lee T, Lin M, Hung M, et al. The eukaryotic DNMT2 genes encode a new class of cytosine-5 DNA methyltransferases. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:33613-6 pubmed..These data provide solid evidence that the fly and mouse DNMT2 gene products are genuine cytosine-5 DNA methyltransferases. ..
- Martin Romero F, Kryukov G, Lobanov A, Carlson B, Lee B, Gladyshev V, et al. Selenium metabolism in Drosophila: selenoproteins, selenoprotein mRNA expression, fertility, and mortality. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:29798-804 pubmed..characterization of selenoprotein mRNA expression resulted in identification of three selenoproteins: selenophosphate synthetase 2 and novel G-rich and BthD selenoproteins that had no homology to known proteins...
- Jin J, Baek S, Lee H, Oh M, Koo Y, Shim M, et al. A DNA replication-related element downstream from the initiation site of Drosophila selenophosphate synthetase 2 gene is essential for its transcription. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:2482-93 pubmedb>Selenophosphate synthetase catalyzes the synthesis of selenophosphate which is a selenium donor for Sec biosynthesis...
- Samsonova A, Niranjan M, Russell S, Brazma A. Prediction of gene expression in embryonic structures of Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Comput Biol. 2007;3:e144 pubmed..Our novel organism-independent method will be of considerable utility in enriching the annotation of gene function and expression in complex multicellular organisms. ..
- Swanson L, Yu M, Nelson K, Laprise P, Tepass U, Beitel G. Drosophila convoluted/dALS is an essential gene required for tracheal tube morphogenesis and apical matrix organization. Genetics. 2009;181:1281-90 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we present evidence indicating that Conv/dALS has a novel, IGF-signaling independent function in tracheal morphogenesis. ..
- Lee K, Shim M, Kim J, Jung H, Lee E, Carlson B, et al. Drosophila selenophosphate synthetase 1 regulates vitamin B6 metabolism: prediction and confirmation. BMC Genomics. 2011;12:426 pubmed publisherThere are two selenophosphate synthetases (SPSs) in higher eukaryotes, SPS1 and SPS2. Of these two isotypes, only SPS2 catalyzes selenophosphate synthesis...