Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sei
Alias: CG3182, Derg, Dmel\CG3182, erg, seizure, CG3182-PA, CG3182-PB, CG3182-PC, Ether-a-go-go-related, Seizure/HERG, eag related gene, sei-PA, sei-PB, sei-PC, seizure potassium channel
Species: fruit fly
- Ocorr K, Zambon A, Nudell Y, PINEDA S, Diop S, Tang M, et al. Age-dependent electrical and morphological remodeling of the Drosophila heart caused by hERG/seizure mutations. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006786 pubmed publisher..of these channels plays a major role in adult mouse heart function; however, we show here that the hERG homolog seizure (sei), along with KCNQ, both contribute significantly to adult heart function as they do in humans...
- Warmke J, Ganetzky B. A family of potassium channel genes related to eag in Drosophila and mammals. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:3438-42 pubmed
- Jackson F, Wilson S, Strichartz G, Hall L. Two types of mutants affecting voltage-sensitive sodium channels in Drosophila melanogaster. Nature. 1984;308:189-91 pubmed..The second, no-action-potential (napts) (refs 5, 6), reduces the number of saxitoxin-binding sites, but appears not to alter the receptor structure. ..
- Amichot M, Castella C, Berge J, Pauron D. Transcription analysis of the para gene by in situ hybridization and immunological characterization of its expression product in wild-type and mutant strains of Drosophila. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 1993;23:381-90 pubmed..Immunohistochemistry was also performed on napts and seits1, two mutant Drosophila strains known to be defective in sodium channel activity. Only napts flies displayed a decrease in the expression of the para protein. ..
- Pavlidis P, Tanouye M. Seizures and failures in the giant fiber pathway of Drosophila bang-sensitive paralytic mutants. J Neurosci. 1995;15:5810-9 pubmed..that in easily shocked (eas), a typical bang-sensitive mutant, electrical shocks delivered to the brain cause seizure-like activity in the dorsal longitudinal flight motor neurons (DLMmns), and failure of giant fiber (GF) ..
- Palladino M, Bower J, Kreber R, Ganetzky B. Neural dysfunction and neurodegeneration in Drosophila Na+/K+ ATPase alpha subunit mutants. J Neurosci. 2003;23:1276-86 pubmed..Our data show that maintenance of neuronal viability is dependent on normal sodium pump activity and establish Drosophila as a useful model for investigating the role of the pump in human neurodegenerative and seizure disorders.
- McCormack T. Comparison of K+-channel genes within the genomes of Anopheles gambiae and Drosophila melanogaster. Genome Biol. 2003;4:R58 pubmed
- Barber C, Jorquera R, Melom J, Littleton J. Postsynaptic regulation of synaptic plasticity by synaptotagmin 4 requires both C2 domains. J Cell Biol. 2009;187:295-310 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Syt 4 regulates activity-dependent release of postsynaptic retrograde signals that promote synaptic plasticity, similar to the role of Syt 1 as a Ca(2+) sensor for presynaptic vesicle fusion. ..
- Jarecki J, Keshishian H. Role of neural activity during synaptogenesis in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 1995;15:8177-90 pubmed..Our experiments suggest that neural activity may function during development by preventing inappropriate connections and thereby maintaining the precise connectivity achieved during nerve outgrowth and target selection. ..
- Germeraad S, O DOWD D, Aldrich R. Functional assay of a putative Drosophila sodium channel gene in homozygous deficiency neurons. J Neurogenet. 1992;8:1-16 pubmed..The morphological development of both neurons and myotubes in these cultures was similar to wildtype, making it feasible to compare the properties of normal diploid cells and cells completely lacking a putative sodium channel gene. ..
- Wu C, Ganetzky B. Neurogenetic studies of ion channels in Drosophila. Ion Channels. 1992;3:261-314 pubmed
- Islam R, Nakamura M, Scott H, Repnikova E, Carnahan M, Pandey D, et al. The role of Drosophila cytidine monophosphate-sialic acid synthetase in the nervous system. J Neurosci. 2013;33:12306-15 pubmed publisher..Genetic interactions between CSAS, DSiaT, and voltage-gated channel genes paralytic and seizure were consistent with the hypothesis that CSAS and DSiaT function within the same pathway regulating neural ..
- Frolov R, Bagati A, Casino B, Singh S. Potassium channels in Drosophila: historical breakthroughs, significance, and perspectives. J Neurogenet. 2012;26:275-90 pubmed..Drosophila has also helped in discovering other K(+) channels, such as Shab, Shaw, Shal, Eag, Sei, Elk, and also Slo, a Ca(2+) - and voltage-dependent K(+) channel...
- Lee J, Wu C. Orchestration of stepwise synaptic growth by K+ and Ca2+ channels in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2010;30:15821-33 pubmed publisher..We found striking synaptic overgrowth caused by Drosophila K(+)-channel mutations of the seizure and slowpoke genes, encoding Erg and Ca(2+)-activated large-conductance (BK) channels, respectively...
- Fergestad T, Ganetzky B, Palladino M. Neuropathology in Drosophila membrane excitability mutants. Genetics. 2006;172:1031-42 pubmed..Disruption of these signaling mechanisms in any of a variety of ways increases the incidence of neurodegeneration. ..
- Jackson F, Gitschier J, Strichartz G, Hall L. Genetic modifications of voltage-sensitive sodium channels in Drosophila: gene dosage studies of the seizure locus. J Neurosci. 1985;5:1144-51 pubmed..This locus, designated seizure, is defined by two temperature-sensitive alleles (seits-1 and seits-2), each of which causes convulsive seizures ..
- Elkins T, Ganetzky B. Conduction in the giant nerve fiber pathway in temperature-sensitive paralytic mutants of Drosophila. J Neurogenet. 1990;6:207-19 pubmed..In contrast, analysis of sei mutants showed enhanced spontaneous activity at elevated temperatures in at least some neurons of the CGF pathway...
- Ocorr K, Akasaka T, Bodmer R. Age-related cardiac disease model of Drosophila. Mech Ageing Dev. 2007;128:112-6 pubmed..The fly heart is thus emerging as a promising genetic model for studying the age-dependent decline in organ function. ..
- Ghezzi A, Al Hasan Y, Larios L, Bohm R, Atkinson N. slo K(+) channel gene regulation mediates rapid drug tolerance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:17276-81 pubmed..It is the sedative phase that stimulates slo gene expression and induces tolerance. We demonstrate that the expression level of slo is a predictor of drug sensitivity...
- Hoeffer C, Sanyal S, Ramaswami M. Acute induction of conserved synaptic signaling pathways in Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurosci. 2003;23:6362-72 pubmed..The effect of "seizure-stimulation" on ERK activation requires neural activity and is mediated through activation of MEK (MAPK/erk ..
- Peixoto A, Hall J. Analysis of temperature-sensitive mutants reveals new genes involved in the courtship song of Drosophila. Genetics. 1998;148:827-38 pubmed..The implications of these findings from the perspective of interspecific lovesong variations in Drosophila are discussed. ..
- Zheng X, Valakh V, DiAntonio A, Ben Shahar Y. Natural antisense transcripts regulate the neuronal stress response and excitability. elife. 2014;3:e01849 pubmed publisher..seizures by acting as a natural antisense transcript (NAT) that regulates the neuronal mRNA levels of seizure (sei), the Drosophila homolog of the human Ether-à-go-go Related Gene (hERG) potassium channel...