Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sec23
Description: Secretory 23
Alias: CG1250, COPII, Dmel\CG1250, SEC23, Sec23A, Sec23p, dSec23, dSec23p, dar2, dsec23, dsec23p, hau, sec23, secretory 23, CG1250-PA, CG1250-PB, CG1250-PD, CG1250-PE, CG1250-PF, CG1250-PG, CG1250-PH, Sec23 ortholog, Sec23-PA, Sec23-PB, Sec23-PD, Sec23-PE, Sec23-PF, Sec23-PG, Sec23-PH, coat protein II, dendritic arbor reduction 2, haunted, sec23
Species: fruit fly
- Chavez V, Marques G, Delbecque J, Kobayashi K, Hollingsworth M, Burr J, et al. The Drosophila disembodied gene controls late embryonic morphogenesis and codes for a cytochrome P450 enzyme that regulates embryonic ecdysone levels. Development. 2000;127:4115-26 pubmed
- Mancias J, Goldberg J. The transport signal on Sec22 for packaging into COPII-coated vesicles is a conformational epitope. Mol Cell. 2007;26:403-14 pubmed publisher..The SNARE protein Sec22 contains a signal that binds the COPII subcomplex Sec23/24 and specifies its endoplasmic reticulum (ER) exit as an unassembled SNARE...
- Castro C, Piscopo D, Nakagawa T, Derynck R. Cornichon regulates transport and secretion of TGFalpha-related proteins in metazoan cells. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2454-66 pubmed..Thus, cornichon proteins represent a functionally conserved protein family that acts in the selective transport and maturation of TGFalpha family proteins. ..
- Kumichel A, Kapp K, Knust E. A Conserved Di-Basic Motif of Drosophila Crumbs Contributes to Efficient ER Export. Traffic. 2015;16:604-16 pubmed publisher..sar1 mutant embryos show a reduced plasma membrane localization of Crumbs, a defect similar to that observed in haunted and ghost mutant embryos, which lack Sec23 and Sec24CD, respectively...
- Zacharogianni M, Aguilera Gomez A, Veenendaal T, Smout J, Rabouille C. A stress assembly that confers cell viability by preserving ERES components during amino-acid starvation. elife. 2014;3: pubmed publisher..Sec body formation does not depend on membrane traffic in the early secretory pathway, yet requires both Sec23 and Sec24AB...
- GonzÃ¡lez Morales N, Mendoza OrtÃz M, Blowes L, Missirlis F, Riesgo Escovar J. Ferritin Is Required in Multiple Tissues during Drosophila melanogaster Development. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0133499 pubmed publisher..We also evaluated phenotypes arising from the blockage of COPII transport from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi apparatus, feeding the secretory pathway, plus analysis of ..
- Ye B, Zhang Y, Song W, Younger S, Jan L, Jan Y. Growing dendrites and axons differ in their reliance on the secretory pathway. Cell. 2007;130:717-29 pubmed..We identified dar2, dar3, and dar6 genes as the homologs of Sec23, Sar1, and Rab1 of the secretory pathway...
- Sepp K, Hong P, Lizarraga S, Liu J, Mejia L, Walsh C, et al. Identification of neural outgrowth genes using genome-wide RNAi. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000111 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results showed that RNAi phenotypes in primary neural culture can parallel in vivo phenotypes, and the screening technique can be used to identify many new genes that have important functions in the nervous system. ..
- Wang X, Sterne G, Ye B. Regulatory mechanisms underlying the differential growth of dendrites and axons. Neurosci Bull. 2014;30:557-68 pubmed publisher..The knowledge of these underlying molecular mechanisms not only expands our understanding about how neural circuits are wired, but also provides insights that will aid in the rational design of therapies for neurological diseases. ..
- Parkhurst S, Delidakis C. Fly developments: an introspective. Bioessays. 2003;25:87-9 pubmed
- Norum M, TÃ¥ng E, Chavoshi T, Schwarz H, Linke D, Uv A, et al. Trafficking through COPII stabilises cell polarity and drives secretion during Drosophila epidermal differentiation. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10802 pubmed publisher..In this work we demonstrate that the two genetically identified factors haunted and ghost are essential for polarity maintenance, membrane topology as well as for secretion of the tracheal ..
- Herpers B, Rabouille C. mRNA localization and ER-based protein sorting mechanisms dictate the use of transitional endoplasmic reticulum-golgi units involved in gurken transport in Drosophila oocytes. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:5306-17 pubmed..We propose that this pretranslational mechanism could be a general way for targeted secretion in polarized cells, such as neurons. ..
- Cherry S, Kunte A, Wang H, Coyne C, Rawson R, Perrimon N. COPI activity coupled with fatty acid biosynthesis is required for viral replication. PLoS Pathog. 2006;2:e102 pubmed..Additionally, because these pathways are also limiting in flies and in human cells infected with the related RNA virus poliovirus, they may represent novel targets for antiviral therapies. ..
- Doumanis J, Wada K, Kino Y, Moore A, Nukina N. RNAi screening in Drosophila cells identifies new modifiers of mutant huntingtin aggregation. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7275 pubmed publisher..Newly identified modifiers including genes related to nuclear transport, nucleotide processes, and signaling, may be involved in polyglutamine aggregate formation and Huntington disease cascades. ..
- Iyer S, Ramachandran Iyer E, Meduri R, Rubaharan M, Kuntimaddi A, Karamsetty M, et al. Cut, via CrebA, transcriptionally regulates the COPII secretory pathway to direct dendrite development in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:4732-45 pubmed publisher..Here, we identify a functional link between transcriptional regulatory programs and the COPII secretory machinery in driving dendrite morphogenesis in Drosophila dendritic arborization (da) sensory neurons...
- Sone M, Uchida A, Komatsu A, Suzuki E, Ibuki I, Asada M, et al. Loss of yata, a novel gene regulating the subcellular localization of APPL, induces deterioration of neural tissues and lifespan shortening. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4466 pubmed publisher..Finally, yata mutant pupal brains occasionally showed aberrant accumulation of Sec23p, a component of the COPII coat of secretory vesicles traveling from the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) to the Golgi...
- Friggi Grelin F, Rabouille C, Therond P. The cis-Golgi Drosophila GMAP has a role in anterograde transport and Golgi organization in vivo, similar to its mammalian ortholog in tissue culture cells. Eur J Cell Biol. 2006;85:1155-66 pubmed..Altogether our results suggest that dGMAP is the ortholog of mammalian GMAP-210. ..
- Kunduri G, Yuan C, Parthibane V, Nyswaner K, Kanwar R, Nagashima K, et al. Phosphatidic acid phospholipase A1 mediates ER-Golgi transit of a family of G protein-coupled receptors. J Cell Biol. 2014;206:79-95 pubmed publisherThe coat protein II (COPII)-coated vesicular system transports newly synthesized secretory and membrane proteins from the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) to the Golgi complex...
- Vacaru A, Tafesse F, Ternes P, Kondylis V, Hermansson M, Brouwers J, et al. Sphingomyelin synthase-related protein SMSr controls ceramide homeostasis in the ER. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:1013-27 pubmed publisher..Our results establish SMSr as a key regulator of ceramide homeostasis that seems to operate as a sensor rather than a converter of ceramides in the ER. ..
- Zacharogianni M, Kondylis V, Tang Y, Farhan H, Xanthakis D, Fuchs F, et al. ERK7 is a negative regulator of protein secretion in response to amino-acid starvation by modulating Sec16 membrane association. EMBO J. 2011;30:3684-700 pubmed publisher..These results reveal the existence of new signalling circuits participating in the complex regulation of cell growth. ..
- Ivan V, de Voer G, Xanthakis D, Spoorendonk K, Kondylis V, Rabouille C. Drosophila Sec16 mediates the biogenesis of tER sites upstream of Sar1 through an arginine-rich motif. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:4352-65 pubmed publishertER sites are specialized cup-shaped ER subdomains characterized by the focused budding of COPII vesicles...
- Zang Y, Wan M, Liu M, Ke H, Ma S, Liu L, et al. Plasma membrane overgrowth causes fibrotic collagen accumulation and immune activation in Drosophila adipocytes. elife. 2015;4:e07187 pubmed publisher..Our work indicates that traffic imbalances and PM topology may contribute to fibrosis. It also places fibrotic deposits both downstream and upstream of immune signaling, consistent with the chronic character of fibrotic diseases. ..
- Wilhelm J, Buszczak M, Sayles S. Efficient protein trafficking requires trailer hitch, a component of a ribonucleoprotein complex localized to the ER in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2005;9:675-85 pubmed..These findings raise exciting new possibilities for how the mRNA localization machinery could interface with the classical secretory pathway to promote efficient protein trafficking in the cell. ..
- Sun J, Spradling A. Ovulation in Drosophila is controlled by secretory cells of the female reproductive tract. elife. 2013;2:e00415 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the reproductive tract signals to the ovary using glandular secretions, and that this pathway has been conserved during evolution. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00415.001. ..
- Zacharogianni M, Rabouille C. Trafficking along the secretory pathway in Drosophila cell line and tissues: a light and electron microscopy approach. Methods Cell Biol. 2013;118:35-49 pubmed publisher..Here, we review light and electron microscopy techniques applied to Drosophila that allow gaining insight into the secretory pathway, and can easily be extended to other cell biology-related fields. ..