Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: sda
Alias: BcDNA:GH07466, CG5518, Dmel\CG5518, Sda, slamdance, CG5518-PA, CG5518-PB, CG5518-PC, CG5518-PD, sda-PA, sda-PB, sda-PC, sda-PD
Species: fruit fly
- Song J, Tanouye M. Role for para sodium channel gene 3' UTR in the modification of Drosophila seizure susceptibility. Dev Neurobiol. 2007;67:1944-56 pubmed..We discussed possible mechanisms of how reduced transcription of the para gene or alterations in sodium channel subunit composition might be indicated by the para(JS1) mutation and implications for para 3' UTR function. ..
- Kadener S, Rodriguez J, Abruzzi K, Khodor Y, Sugino K, Marr M, et al. Genome-wide identification of targets of the drosha-pasha/DGCR8 complex. RNA. 2009;15:537-45 pubmed publisher..e., excess Drosha cleaves pasha/DGCR8 primary transcripts and leads to a reduction in pasha/DGCR8 mRNA levels and Pasha/DGCR8 synthesis. ..
- Song J, Tanouye M. Seizure suppression by shakB2, a gap junction mutation in Drosophila. J Neurophysiol. 2006;95:627-35 pubmed..In double mutant combinations, shakB2 completely suppresses seizures caused by slamdance (sda), knockdown (kdn), and jitterbug (jbug) mutations...
- Glasscock E, Tanouye M. Drosophila couch potato mutants exhibit complex neurological abnormalities including epilepsy phenotypes. Genetics. 2005;169:2137-49 pubmed..was identified on the basis of a bang-sensitive paralytic mutant phenotype in a sensitized genetic background (sda/+)...
- Park S, Song Y. Genetic screen for genes involved in Chk2 signaling in Drosophila. Mol Cells. 2008;26:350-5 pubmed..Possible roles for these modifiers in the DNA damage response and Chk2 signaling are discussed. ..
- Reynolds E, Stauffer E, Feeney L, Rojahn E, Jacobs B, McKeever C. Treatment with the antiepileptic drugs phenytoin and gabapentin ameliorates seizure and paralysis of Drosophila bang-sensitive mutants. J Neurobiol. 2004;58:503-13 pubmed..Gabapentin was also effective against two other bs mutants, bangsenseless(1) and slamdance(iso7...
- Lee J, Wu C. Electroconvulsive seizure behavior in Drosophila: analysis of the physiological repertoire underlying a stereotyped action pattern in bang-sensitive mutants. J Neurosci. 2002;22:11065-79 pubmed
- Kroll J, Wong K, Siddiqui F, Tanouye M. Disruption of Endocytosis with the Dynamin Mutant shibirets1 Suppresses Seizures in Drosophila. Genetics. 2015;201:1087-102 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results implicate mutant dynamin as an effective seizure suppressor, suggesting that targeting or limiting the availability of synaptic vesicles could be an effective and general method of controlling epilepsy disorders. ..
- Zhang H, Tan J, Reynolds E, Kuebler D, Faulhaber S, Tanouye M. The Drosophila slamdance gene: a mutation in an aminopeptidase can cause seizure, paralysis and neuronal failure. Genetics. 2002;162:1283-99 pubmedWe report here the characterization of slamdance (sda), a Drosophila melanogaster "bang-sensitive" (BS) paralytic mutant...
- Saras A, Tanouye M. Mutations of the Calcium Channel Gene cacophony Suppress Seizures in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005784 pubmed publisher..We find that this seizure-like behavior in cacTS2 is ameliorated by 85% in double mutant combinations with parabss1. ..
- Song J, Hu J, Tanouye M. Seizure suppression by top1 mutations in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2007;27:2927-37 pubmed
- Glasscock E, Singhania A, Tanouye M. The mei-P26 gene encodes a RING finger B-box coiled-coil-NHL protein that regulates seizure susceptibility in Drosophilia. Genetics. 2005;170:1677-89 pubmed..The mei-P26 mutation reduces seizures in easily shocked (eas) and slamdance (sda) epileptic flies following mechanical stimulation and electroconvulsive shock...
- Song J, Parker L, Hormozi L, Tanouye M. DNA topoisomerase I inhibitors ameliorate seizure-like behaviors and paralysis in a Drosophila model of epilepsy. Neuroscience. 2008;156:722-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results suggest that Top1 inhibitors may have the potential to be developed into effective anti-epileptic drugs, especially for brain tumor patients presenting with epilepsy. ..
- Tan J, Lin F, Tanouye M. Potassium bromide, an anticonvulsant, is effective at alleviating seizures in the Drosophila bang-sensitive mutant bang senseless. Brain Res. 2004;1020:45-52 pubmed..This methodology suggests that the Drosophila system can potentially be a powerful instrument for assaying and testing new compounds with anticonvulsant properties. ..
- Howlett I, Tanouye M. Seizure-sensitivity in Drosophila is ameliorated by dorsal vessel injection of the antiepileptic drug valproate. J Neurogenet. 2013;27:143-50 pubmed publisher..seizure-sensitive phenotypes in several mutant genotypes in the bang-sensitive (BS) paralytic mutant class, sda, eas, and para(bss1)...
- Cunliffe V, Baines R, Giachello C, Lin W, Morgan A, Reuber M, et al. Epilepsy research methods update: Understanding the causes of epileptic seizures and identifying new treatments using non-mammalian model organisms. Seizure. 2015;24:44-51 pubmed publisher..The short generation times of most of these model organisms also mean that they lend themselves particularly conveniently to the investigation of drug effects or epileptogenic processes across the lifecourse. ..