Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: scb
Alias: CG8095, CT21280, CT36929, Dm0620, Dmel\CG8095, E(Sev-CycE)E93, E(sev-cycE)[e93], ItgaPS3, PS3, Vol, aPS3, alpha-PS3, alphaInt3, alphaPS3, alpha[[PS3]], beta[[PS3], l(2)01288, vol, scab, CG8095-PA, CG8095-PB, aVolado, alpha Position-Specific antigen 3, alphaPS3 integrin, alphaPS3 subunit, beta[[PS3]]integrin, complementation group 2.11, integrin alphaPS3 subunit, scb-PA, scb-PB, volado
Species: fruit fly
- Schock F, Perrimon N. Retraction of the Drosophila germ band requires cell-matrix interaction. Genes Dev. 2003;17:597-602 pubmed..We further implicate a role for this spreading in the process of germ-band retraction...
- Araujo H, Negreiros E, Bier E. Integrins modulate Sog activity in the Drosophila wing. Development. 2003;130:3851-64 pubmed..sog and myospheroid (mys), multiple edematous wing (mew) and scab (scb), which encode betaPS, alphaPS1 and alphaPS3 integrin subunits, respectively...
- Nonaka S, Nagaosa K, Mori T, Shiratsuchi A, Nakanishi Y. Integrin ?PS3/??-mediated phagocytosis of apoptotic cells and bacteria in Drosophila. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:10374-80 pubmed publisher..The mutation of ?PS3-encoding scb, deficiency, insertion of P-element, or alteration of nucleotide sequences, brought about a reduction in the level ..
- MacMullin A, Jacobs J. Slit coordinates cardiac morphogenesis in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2006;293:154-64 pubmed..This indicates that Slit participates in adhesion or adhesion signaling during heart development. ..
- Martin Bermudo M, Alvarez Garcia I, Brown N. Migration of the Drosophila primordial midgut cells requires coordination of diverse PS integrin functions. Development. 1999;126:5161-9 pubmed..since loss of just one alpha subunit in the midgut results in either a modest delay (alphaPS1) or no effect (alphaPS3). We have also examined the roles of small GTPases in promoting migration of the primordial midgut cells...
- Grotewiel M, Beck C, Wu K, Zhu X, Davis R. Integrin-mediated short-term memory in Drosophila. Nature. 1998;391:455-60 pubmedb>Volado is a new memory mutant of Drosophila. The locus encodes two isoforms of a new alpha-integrin, a molecule that dynamically mediates cell adhesion and signal transduction...
- Peralta X, Toyama Y, Hutson M, Montague R, Venakides S, Kiehart D, et al. Upregulation of forces and morphogenic asymmetries in dorsal closure during Drosophila development. Biophys J. 2007;92:2583-96 pubmed..Asymmetries in these mutants are reversed compared to wild-type, and inhomogeneous stresses may cause asymmetries in wild-type closure. ..
- Stevens A, Jacobs J. Integrins regulate responsiveness to slit repellent signals. J Neurosci. 2002;22:4448-55 pubmed..tract axons in Drosophila embryos doubly heterozygous for slit and an integrin gene, encoding alphaPS1, alphaPS2, alphaPS3, or betaPS1, take ectopic trajectories across the midline of the CNS...
- Devenport D, Brown N. Morphogenesis in the absence of integrins: mutation of both Drosophila beta subunits prevents midgut migration. Development. 2004;131:5405-15 pubmed..Having generated the tools to eliminate integrin function completely, we confirm that Drosophila integrins do not control proliferation as they do in mammals, and have identified alphaPS3 as a heterodimeric partner for betanu.
- Rohrbough J, Grotewiel M, Davis R, Broadie K. Integrin-mediated regulation of synaptic morphology, transmission, and plasticity. J Neurosci. 2000;20:6868-78 pubmedVolado, the gene encoding the Drosophila alphaPS3-integrin, is required for normal short-term memory formation (Grotewiel et al., 1998), supporting a role for integrins in synaptic modulation mechanisms...
- Bradley P, Myat M, Comeaux C, Andrew D. Posterior migration of the salivary gland requires an intact visceral mesoderm and integrin function. Dev Biol. 2003;257:249-62 pubmed..These findings suggest that salivary tube dimensions may be an intrinsic property of salivary gland cells. ..
- Knox J, Moyer K, Yacoub N, Soldaat C, Komosa M, Vassilieva K, et al. Syndecan contributes to heart cell specification and lumen formation during Drosophila cardiogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;356:279-90 pubmed publisher..Phenotypic interactions of syndecan with slit and Integrin mutants suggest intersecting function, consistent with Syndecan acting as a co-receptor for Slit in the Drosophila heart. ..
- Brower D. Platelets with wings: the maturation of Drosophila integrin biology. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2003;15:607-13 pubmed..Drosophila also is beginning to yield some insights into integrin heterodimer structure and function. ..
- Acevedo S, Froudarakis E, Tsiorva A, Skoulakis E. Distinct neuronal circuits mediate experience-dependent, non-associative osmotactic responses in Drosophila. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2007;34:378-89 pubmed..Finally, these experience-dependent non-associative paradigms are excellent methods of functionally ascertaining normal activity of the mushroom bodies and inner antenoglomerular tract in putative leaning and memory mutants. ..
- Tamura T, Chiang A, Ito N, Liu H, Horiuchi J, Tully T, et al. Aging specifically impairs amnesiac-dependent memory in Drosophila. Neuron. 2003;40:1003-11 pubmed..The absence of AMI in amn flies is restored by expression of an amn transgene predominantly in DPM cells. Thus, we propose that AMI in flies results from a specific decrease in amn-dependent MTM. ..
- Guo C, Du Y, Yuan D, Li M, Gong H, Gong Z, et al. A conditioned visual orientation requires the ellipsoid body in Drosophila. Learn Mem. 2014;22:56-63 pubmed publisher..Normal activity and scb signaling in R3/R4d neurons of the ellipsoid body were required for visual orientation conditioning...
- Vanderploeg J, Vazquez Paz L, MacMullin A, Jacobs J. Integrins are required for cardioblast polarisation in Drosophila. BMC Dev Biol. 2012;12:8 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal an instructive role for Integrins in communicating polarising information to cells during migration, and during transition to an epithelial tube structure. ..
- Zars T. Behavioral functions of the insect mushroom bodies. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2000;10:790-5 pubmed..In addition, the mushroom bodies are necessary for context generalization in visual learning and for regulating the transition from walking to rest. ..
- Urbano J, Domínguez Giménez P, Estrada B, Martin Bermudo M. PS integrins and laminins: key regulators of cell migration during Drosophila embryogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23893 pubmed publisher..These migratory processes require both integrins and laminins. The current model is that ?PS1?PS (PS1) and/or ?PS3?PS (PS3) integrins are required in migrating cells, whereas ?PS2?PS (PS2) integrin is required in the vm, where it ..
- Davis R. Mushroom bodies, Ca(2+) oscillations, and the memory gene amnesiac. Neuron. 2001;30:653-6 pubmed..Slow and spontaneous oscillations of calcium levels are elevated in the mushroom body neurons of amnesiac mutants and may contribute to memory consolidation. ..
- Yang S, Arguello J, Li X, Ding Y, Zhou Q, Chen Y, et al. Repetitive element-mediated recombination as a mechanism for new gene origination in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e3 pubmed publisher..Our dataset strongly suggests an important role for REs in the generation of chimeric genes within these species. ..
- Thimgan M, Gottschalk L, Toedebusch C, McLeland J, Rechtschaffen A, Gilliland Roberts M, et al. Cross-translational studies in human and Drosophila identify markers of sleep loss. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61016 pubmed publisher..Only transcript levels of scab, the Drosophila homologue of Integrin ?5 (ITGA5), were associated with vulnerability to extended waking...
- Grevengoed E, Loureiro J, Jesse T, Peifer M. Abelson kinase regulates epithelial morphogenesis in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2001;155:1185-98 pubmed..We discuss possible models for Abl function during epithelial morphogenesis in light of these data. ..
- Waddell S, Quinn W. What can we teach Drosophila? What can they teach us?. Trends Genet. 2001;17:719-26 pubmed
- D Avino P, Thummel C. The ecdysone regulatory pathway controls wing morphogenesis and integrin expression during Drosophila metamorphosis. Dev Biol. 2000;220:211-24 pubmed..We also propose that ecdysone modulation of integrin expression might be widely used to control multiple aspects of adult development. ..
- Lin G, Zhang X, Ren J, Pang Z, Wang C, Xu N, et al. Integrin signaling is required for maintenance and proliferation of intestinal stem cells in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2013;377:177-87 pubmed publisher..Specifically, the ?-integrin subunits including ?PS1 encoded by mew and ?PS3 encoded by scb, and the ?-integrin subunit encoded by mys are richly expressed in ISCs and are required for the ..
- Morley K, Montgomery G. The genetics of cognitive processes: candidate genes in humans and animals. Behav Genet. 2001;31:511-31 pubmed..This survey confirms that many genes are associated with cognitive variation and highlights the potential importance of animal models in the study of human cognition. ..
- Sandhu S, Kollah A, Lewellyn L, Chan R, Grotewiel M. An inexpensive, scalable behavioral assay for measuring ethanol sedation sensitivity and rapid tolerance in Drosophila. J Vis Exp. 2015;: pubmed publisher..The scalable nature of this assay, combined with its overall simplicity to set-up and relatively low expense, make it suitable for small and large scale genetic analysis of ethanol sensitivity and rapid tolerance in Drosophila. ..
- Lamka M, Lipshitz H. Role of the amnioserosa in germ band retraction of the Drosophila melanogaster embryo. Dev Biol. 1999;214:102-12 pubmed..Rather, it is likely that the amnioserosa functions in production, activation, or presentation of a diffusible signal required for retraction. ..
- Brown N. Cell-cell adhesion via the ECM: integrin genetics in fly and worm. Matrix Biol. 2000;19:191-201 pubmed
- Murase S, Schuman E. The role of cell adhesion molecules in synaptic plasticity and memory. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1999;11:549-53 pubmed
- Jankovics F, Henn L, Bujna Ã, Vilmos P, Kiss N, ErdÃ©lyi M. A functional genomic screen combined with time-lapse microscopy uncovers a novel set of genes involved in dorsal closure of Drosophila embryos. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22229 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provide evidence that pbl is involved in closure of the adult thorax, suggesting its general requirement in epithelial closure processes. ..
- Levi B, Ghabrial A, Krasnow M. Drosophila talin and integrin genes are required for maintenance of tracheal terminal branches and luminal organization. Development. 2006;133:2383-93 pubmed..Similar complexes may stabilize other tubular networks and may be targeted for inactivation during network remodeling events. ..
- Zhang L, Zhang Y, Hagen K. A mucin-type O-glycosyltransferase modulates cell adhesion during Drosophila development. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:34076-86 pubmed publisher..This study provides the first evidence for the role of O-glycosylation in a developmentally regulated, integrin-mediated, cell adhesion event and reveals a novel player in wing blade formation during Drosophila development. ..
- Sekelsky J, Hollis K, Eimerl A, Burtis K, Hawley R. Nucleotide excision repair endonuclease genes in Drosophila melanogaster. Mutat Res. 2000;459:219-28 pubmed..The Drosophila Ercc1 gene maps to polytene region 51D1-2. The nucleotide excision repair gene mus210 maps nearby (51E-F) but is distinct from Ercc1. ..
- Dworak H, Charles M, Pellerano L, Sink H. Characterization of Drosophila hibris, a gene related to human nephrin. Development. 2001;128:4265-76 pubmed..We propose that Hibris is an extracellular partner for Dumbfounded and potentially mediates the response of myoblasts to this attractant. ..
- Davis R. Neurofibromin progress on the fly. Nature. 2000;403:846-7 pubmed
- Roman G, Davis R. Molecular biology and anatomy of Drosophila olfactory associative learning. Bioessays. 2001;23:571-81 pubmed..In this review, we discuss the nature of the behavioral tasks, the molecules, and the neuronal circuits involved in olfactory learning in Drosophila. ..
- Connolly J, Tully T. Integrins: a role for adhesion molecules in olfactory memory. Curr Biol. 1998;8:R386-9 pubmedA gene required for short-term memory in Drosophila, Volado, encodes an alpha integrin and is preferentially expressed in the mushroom bodies of the adult brain...
- Rosin D, Shilo B. Branch-specific migration cues in the Drosophila tracheal system. Bioessays. 2002;24:110-3 pubmed..In particular, the paper by Boube et al(1) demonstrates a role for PS integrins in promoting migration of a specific tracheal branch. ..
- Gullberg D, Fessler L, Fessler J. Differentiation, extracellular matrix synthesis, and integrin assembly by Drosophila embryo cells cultured on vitronectin and laminin substrates. Dev Dyn. 1994;199:116-28 pubmed..Integrin alpha PS2 beta PS3 was essential for the initial spreading of myocytes on vitronectin: focal contacts rich in beta PS3 integrins ..
- Garelli A, Heredia F, Casimiro A, Macedo A, Nunes C, Garcez M, et al. Dilp8 requires the neuronal relaxin receptor Lgr3 to couple growth to developmental timing. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8732 pubmed publisher..Our work sheds new light on the function and evolution of relaxin receptors and reveals a novel neuroendocrine circuit responsive to growth aberrations. ..
- Tanaka N, Tanimoto H, Ito K. Neuronal assemblies of the Drosophila mushroom body. J Comp Neurol. 2008;508:711-55 pubmed publisher..Structural differences between lobes are also discussed. ..
- Harr B, Schlotterer C. Long microsatellite alleles in Drosophila melanogaster have a downward mutation bias and short persistence times, which cause their genome-wide underrepresentation. Genetics. 2000;155:1213-20 pubmed..We propose that species-specific, size-dependent mutation spectra of microsatellite alleles may provide a general mechanism to account for the observed differences in microsatellite length between species. ..
- Homsy J, Jasper H, Peralta X, Wu H, Kiehart D, Bohmann D. JNK signaling coordinates integrin and actin functions during Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:427-34 pubmed..Here, we show that zipping is mediated by regulation of the integrins myospheroid and scab. Our data demonstrate that JNK signaling regulates a set of target genes that cooperate to facilitate epithelial ..
- Tsai P, Kao H, Grabbe C, Lee Y, Ghose A, Lai T, et al. Fak56 functions downstream of integrin alphaPS3betanu and suppresses MAPK activation in neuromuscular junction growth. Neural Dev. 2008;3:26 pubmed publisher..Unlike its conventional role in activating MAPK/ERK, Fak56 suppresses ERK activation in this process. These results suggest that Fak56 mediates a specific neuronal signaling pathway distinct from that in other cellular processes. ..
- Shulman J, Imboywa S, Giagtzoglou N, Powers M, Hu Y, Devenport D, et al. Functional screening in Drosophila identifies Alzheimer's disease susceptibility genes and implicates Tau-mediated mechanisms. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:870-7 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight cell adhesion pathways as important in Tau toxicity and AD susceptibility and demonstrate the power of model organism genetic screens for the functional follow-up of human GWAS. ..
- Read R, Bach E, Cagan R. Drosophila C-terminal Src kinase negatively regulates organ growth and cell proliferation through inhibition of the Src, Jun N-terminal kinase, and STAT pathways. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:6676-89 pubmed..In particular, blockade of STAT function in dCsk mutants severely reduced Src-dependent overgrowth and activated apoptosis of mutant tissue. Our data provide in vivo evidence that Src activity requires JNK and STAT function. ..
- Jin Y. Synaptogenesis: insights from worm and fly. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2002;12:71-9 pubmed
- Meehan T, Kleinsorge S, Timmons A, Taylor J, McCall K. Polarization of the epithelial layer and apical localization of integrins are required for engulfment of apoptotic cells in the Drosophila ovary. Dis Model Mech. 2015;8:1603-14 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate that the integrin heterodimer Î±PS3/Î²PS becomes apically enriched and is required for engulfment by the epithelial follicle cells of the Drosophila ..
- Yamazaki D, Horiuchi J, Nakagami Y, Nagano S, Tamura T, Saitoe M. The Drosophila DCO mutation suppresses age-related memory impairment without affecting lifespan. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:478-84 pubmed..Notably, both the memory and AMI defects of amn mutants are restored in amn;DCO/+ double mutants, suggesting that AMI is caused by an age-related disruption of amn-dependent memory via PKA activity in mushroom bodies. ..
- Wada A, Kato K, Uwo M, Yonemura S, Hayashi S. Specialized extraembryonic cells connect embryonic and extraembryonic epidermis in response to Dpp during dorsal closure in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2007;301:340-9 pubmed..b>alphaPS3 and betaPS integrin subunits accumulated in the interface between pAS and dorsal epidermis, and were both ..
- Burrell B, Sahley C. Learning in simple systems. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2001;11:757-64 pubmed..Some pathways contribute to a single stage of memory formation, whereas others impact on multiple stages of memory development. Distinct cellular pathways may also act in series or in parallel during various stages of memory formation. ..
- Arora K, Dai H, Kazuko S, Jamal J, O Connor M, Letsou A, et al. The Drosophila schnurri gene acts in the Dpp/TGF beta signaling pathway and encodes a transcription factor homologous to the human MBP family. Cell. 1995;81:781-90 pubmed..Genetic interactions and the strikingly similar phenotypes of mutations in shn and the dpp receptors encoded by thick veins and punt suggest that shn plays a downstream role in dpp signaling. ..
- Xie X, Auld V. Integrins are necessary for the development and maintenance of the glial layers in the Drosophila peripheral nerve. Development. 2011;138:3813-22 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that, in the peripheral nerves of Drosophila melanogaster, two integrin complexes (?PS2?PS and ?PS3?PS) are expressed in the different glial layers and form adhesion complexes with integrin-linked kinase and Talin...
- Kong E, Allouche L, Chapot P, Vranizan K, Moore M, Heberlein U, et al. Ethanol-regulated genes that contribute to ethanol sensitivity and rapid tolerance in Drosophila. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2010;34:302-16 pubmed publisher..Our findings implicate novel roles for these genes in regulating ethanol behavioral responses. ..
- Xie X, GILBERT M, Petley Ragan L, Auld V. Loss of focal adhesions in glia disrupts both glial and photoreceptor axon migration in the Drosophila visual system. Development. 2014;141:3072-83 pubmed publisher..The common beta subunit ?PS and two alpha subunits, ?PS2 and ?PS3, are located in puncta at both glia-glia and glia-ECM interfaces...
- Bhandari P, Kendler K, Bettinger J, Davies A, Grotewiel M. An assay for evoked locomotor behavior in Drosophila reveals a role for integrins in ethanol sensitivity and rapid ethanol tolerance. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2009;33:1794-805 pubmed publisher..Additionally, mutations in the beta integrin gene myospheroid and the alpha integrin gene scab increased the initial sensitivity to ethanol and enhanced the development of rapid ethanol tolerance without ..
- Meghana C, Ramdas N, Hameed F, Rao M, Shivashankar G, Narasimha M. Integrin adhesion drives the emergent polarization of active cytoskeletal stresses to pattern cell delamination. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:9107-12 pubmed publisher..We suggest that differential contributions of adhesion, cytoskeletal, and external stresses must underlie differences in spatial pattern. ..
- Lane M, Elend M, Heidmann D, Herr A, Marzodko S, Herzig A, et al. A screen for modifiers of cyclin E function in Drosophila melanogaster identifies Cdk2 mutations, revealing the insignificance of putative phosphorylation sites in Cdk2. Genetics. 2000;155:233-44 pubmed..In contrast, our results demonstrate that the equivalent sites in Cdk2 play no essential role. ..
- Tavares L, Pereira E, Correia A, Santos M, Amaral N, Martins T, et al. Drosophila PS2 and PS3 integrins play distinct roles in retinal photoreceptors-glia interactions. Glia. 2015;63:1155-65 pubmed publisher..In contrast, Î±PS3 is not required for retinal glia migration, but together with Talin, it functions in glial cells to allow ..
- Agnes F, Noselli S. [Dorsal closure in Drosophila. A genetic model for wound healing?]. C R Acad Sci III. 1999;322:5-13 pubmed..The molecular and cellular events that underlie these two analogous migratory processes are detailed, discussed and compared. We suggest that DC is a good genetic model for wound healing studying. ..