Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sas-6
Description: Spindle assembly abnormal 6
Alias: CG15524, DSAS-6, DSas-6, DSas6, Dmel\CG15524, Dsas6, SAS-6, SAS6, Sas6, dsas-6, sas-6, spindle assembly abnormal 6, CG15524-PA, Sas-6-PA, spindle assembly abnormal 6 ortholog
Species: fruit fly
- Stevens N, Dobbelaere J, Wainman A, Gergely F, Raff J. Ana3 is a conserved protein required for the structural integrity of centrioles and basal bodies. J Cell Biol. 2009;187:355-63 pubmed publisher..Thus, Ana3 defines a conserved family of centriolar proteins and plays an important part in ensuring the structural integrity of centrioles and basal bodies. ..
- Peel N, Stevens N, Basto R, Raff J. Overexpressing centriole-replication proteins in vivo induces centriole overduplication and de novo formation. Curr Biol. 2007;17:834-43 pubmed..Here, we investigate the effects of overexpressing the three proteins known to be required for centriole replication in Drosophila-DSas-6, DSas-4, and Sak...
- Baumbach J, Levesque M, Raff J. Centrosome loss or amplification does not dramatically perturb global gene expression in Drosophila. Biol Open. 2012;1:983-93 pubmed publisher..These observations indicate that centrosome defects can predispose fly brain cells to form tumours without, at least initially, dramatically altering their physiology. ..
- Stevens N, Roque H, Raff J. DSas-6 and Ana2 coassemble into tubules to promote centriole duplication and engagement. Dev Cell. 2010;19:913-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that DSas-6 and Ana2 normally cooperate to drive the formation of the centriole inner cartwheel and that they promote both centriole duplication and centriole cohesion in a Sak/Plk4-dependent manner...
- Dzhindzhev N, Yu Q, Weiskopf K, Tzolovsky G, Cunha Ferreira I, Riparbelli M, et al. Asterless is a scaffold for the onset of centriole assembly. Nature. 2010;467:714-8 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify independent functions for Asl as a scaffold for Plk4 and Sas-4 that facilitates self-assembly and duplication of the centriole and organization of pericentriolar material...
- Blachon S, Cai X, Roberts K, Yang K, Polyanovsky A, Church A, et al. A proximal centriole-like structure is present in Drosophila spermatids and can serve as a model to study centriole duplication. Genetics. 2009;182:133-44 pubmed publisher..We propose that, during the evolution of insects, the proximal centriole was simplified by eliminating the later steps in centriole assembly. The PCL may provide a unique model to study early steps of centriole formation. ..
- Rogers G, Rusan N, Roberts D, Peifer M, Rogers S. The SCF Slimb ubiquitin ligase regulates Plk4/Sak levels to block centriole reduplication. J Cell Biol. 2009;184:225-39 pubmed publisher..Using a Plk4 Slimb-binding mutant and Slimb RNAi, we show that Slimb regulates Plk4 localization to centrioles during interphase, thus regulating centriole number and ensuring the block to centriole reduplication. ..
- Castellanos E, Dominguez P, Gonzalez C. Centrosome dysfunction in Drosophila neural stem cells causes tumors that are not due to genome instability. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1209-14 pubmed publisher..We propose that such tumors might be caused by impaired asymmetric division of neural stem cells . These results show that centrosome loss, far from being innocuous, is a potentially dangerous condition in flies...
- Blachon S, Gopalakrishnan J, Omori Y, Polyanovsky A, Church A, Nicastro D, et al. Drosophila asterless and vertebrate Cep152 Are orthologs essential for centriole duplication. Genetics. 2008;180:2081-94 pubmed publisher..The clear absence of several centriolar markers in mecD mutants suggests that Asl is critical early in centriole duplication...
- Dzhindzhev N, Tzolovsky G, Lipinszki Z, Schneider S, Lattao R, Fu J, et al. Plk4 phosphorylates Ana2 to trigger Sas6 recruitment and procentriole formation. Curr Biol. 2014;24:2526-32 pubmed publisher..four conserved serines in the STAN motif of the core centriole protein Ana2 to enable it to bind and recruit its Sas6 partner...
- Galletta B, Fagerstrom C, Schoborg T, McLamarrah T, Ryniawec J, Buster D, et al. A centrosome interactome provides insight into organelle assembly and reveals a non-duplication role for Plk4. Nat Commun. 2016;7:12476 pubmed publisher..We show that Plk4 phosphorylates Cep135 to properly position the essential centriole component Asterless. This interaction landscape affords a critical framework for research of normal and aberrant centrosomes. ..
- Wang W, Acehan D, Kao C, Jane W, Uryu K, Tsou M. De novo centriole formation in human cells is error-prone and does not require SAS-6 self-assembly. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..These results indicate that centriole biogenesis does not strictly depend on SAS-6 self-assembly, and may require preexisting centrioles to ensure structural accuracy, fundamentally deviating from the current paradigm. ..
- Lerit D, Rusan N. PLP inhibits the activity of interphase centrosomes to ensure their proper segregation in stem cells. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:1013-22 pubmed publisher..Finally, we conclude that, although asymmetric centrosome maturation is not required for asymmetric cell division, it is required for proper centrosome segregation to the two daughter cells. ..
- Moutinho Pereira S, Debec A, Maiato H. Microtubule cytoskeleton remodeling by acentriolar microtubule-organizing centers at the entry and exit from mitosis in Drosophila somatic cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2796-808 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a new form of cell cycle-regulated MTOCs that contribute for MT cytoskeleton remodeling during mitotic spindle assembly/disassembly in animal somatic cells, independently of centrioles. ..
- Carvalho Santos Z, Machado P, Branco P, Tavares Cadete F, Rodrigues Martins A, Pereira Leal J, et al. Stepwise evolution of the centriole-assembly pathway. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:1414-26 pubmed publisher..We found an evolutionarily cohesive and ancestral module, which we term UNIMOD and is defined by three components (SAS6, SAS4/CPAP and BLD10/CEP135), that correlates with the occurrence of CBBs...
- Riparbelli M, Callaini G. Male gametogenesis without centrioles. Dev Biol. 2011;349:427-39 pubmed publisher..Spindle formation during germ cell mitosis may be successfully supported by an acentrosomal pathway that is inadequate to warrant the proper execution of meiosis...
- Riparbelli M, Callaini G, Megraw T. Assembly and persistence of primary cilia in dividing Drosophila spermatocytes. Dev Cell. 2012;23:425-32 pubmed publisher..These findings challenge the prevailing view that cilia antagonize cell-cycle progression and raise the possibility that cilium retention at cell division may occur in diverse organisms and cell types...
- Galletta B, Jacobs K, Fagerstrom C, Rusan N. Asterless is required for centriole length control and sperm development. J Cell Biol. 2016;213:435-50 pubmed publisher..Insights into the role of Asl/Cep152 beyond centriole duplication could help shed light on how Cep152 mutations lead to the development of microcephaly. ..
- Acharya S, Laupsien P, Wenzl C, Yan S, Großhans J. Function and dynamics of slam in furrow formation in early Drosophila embryo. Dev Biol. 2014;386:371-84 pubmed publisher..Following the onset of zygotic gene expression, Slam and Nullo together stabilise this mark and Slam triggers invagination of the cleavage furrow. ..
- Kwon M, Godinho S, Chandhok N, Ganem N, Azioune A, Thery M, et al. Mechanisms to suppress multipolar divisions in cancer cells with extra centrosomes. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2189-203 pubmed publisher..Thus, morphological features of cancer cells can be linked to unique genetic requirements for survival. ..
- Pollarolo G, Schulz J, Munck S, Dotti C. Cytokinesis remnants define first neuronal asymmetry in vivo. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:1525-33 pubmed publisher..This is, to our knowledge, the first molecular study of initial neuronal polarization in vivo. The mechanisms of polarization seem to be defined at the precursor stage. ..
- Franz A, Roque H, Saurya S, Dobbelaere J, Raff J. CP110 exhibits novel regulatory activities during centriole assembly in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:785-99 pubmed publisher..Finally, and unexpectedly, CP110 suppresses centriole overduplication induced by the overexpression of centriole duplication proteins. These studies identify novel and surprising functions for CP110 in vivo in flies. ..
- Blachon S, Khire A, Avidor Reiss T. The origin of the second centriole in the zygote of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2014;197:199-205 pubmed publisher..These observations demonstrate that the PCL is the origin for the second centriole in the Drosophila zygote and that a paternal centriole precursor, without centriolar proteins, is transmitted to the egg during fertilization. ..
- Chen J, Kao L, Jana S, Sivan Loukianova E, MendonÃ§a S, Cabrera O, et al. Rootletin organizes the ciliary rootlet to achieve neuron sensory function in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2015;211:435-53 pubmed publisher..Ectopically expressed Root resides at the base of mother centrioles in spermatocytes and localizes asymmetrically to mother centrosomes in neuroblasts, both requiring Bld10, a basal body protein with varied functions. ..
- Zheng Y, Mennella V, Marks S, Wildonger J, Elnagdi E, Agard D, et al. The Seckel syndrome and centrosomal protein Ninein localizes asymmetrically to stem cell centrosomes but is not required for normal development, behavior, or DNA damage response in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1740-52 pubmed publisher..Although it is not essential, our data suggest that Nin plays a supportive role in centrosomal and extracentrosomal microtubule organization and asymmetric stem cell division. ..
- Riparbelli M, Colozza G, Callaini G. Procentriole elongation and recruitment of pericentriolar material are downregulated in cyst cells as they enter quiescence. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:3613-8 pubmed publisher..Procentriole maturation defects could thus lead to the inability to maintain centrosomal components during development. ..
- Cheng J, Turkel N, Hemati N, Fuller M, Hunt A, Yamashita Y. Centrosome misorientation reduces stem cell division during ageing. Nature. 2008;456:599-604 pubmed publisher..We also show that some of the misoriented GSCs probably originate from dedifferentiation of spermatogonia. ..
- Winkler F, Gummalla M, KÃ¼nneke L, Lv Z, Zippelius A, Aspelmeier T, et al. Fluctuation Analysis of Centrosomes Reveals a Cortical Function of Kinesin-1. Biophys J. 2015;109:856-68 pubmed publisher..Kinesin-1 may mediate linkage of the microtubule (+)-ends to the actin cortex. Consistent with this model is our finding that Kinesin-1-GFP accumulates at the cortical actin caps. ..
- Lopes C, Jana S, Cunha Ferreira I, Zitouni S, Bento I, Duarte P, et al. PLK4 trans-Autoactivation Controls Centriole Biogenesis in Space. Dev Cell. 2015;35:222-35 pubmed publisher..Similar mechanisms enforcing the local concentration and/or activity of other centriole components are likely to contribute to the spatial control of centriole biogenesis under physiological conditions. ..
- Gopalakrishnan J, Chim Y, Ha A, Basiri M, Lerit D, Rusan N, et al. Tubulin nucleotide status controls Sas-4-dependent pericentriolar material recruitment. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:865-73 pubmed publisher..On the basis of its guanine-bound state, tubulin can act as a molecular switch in PCM recruitment. ..