Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ry
Alias: CG7642, Dmel\CG7642, XDH, XOR, Xdh, Xdh/ry, xdh, rosy, CG7642-PA, ry-PA, xanthine DH, xanthine dehydrogenase
Species: fruit fly
- Curtis D, Clark S, Chovnick A, Bender W. Molecular analysis of recombination events in Drosophila. Genetics. 1989;122:653-61 pubmedThe locations of crossover junctions and gene conversion tracts, isolated in the rosy gene of Drosophila melanogaster, were determined using DNA sequencing and denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis...
- McKim K, Green Marroquin B, Sekelsky J, Chin G, Steinberg C, Khodosh R, et al. Meiotic synapsis in the absence of recombination. Science. 1998;279:876-8 pubmed..Furthermore, the basic processes of early meiosis may have different functional or temporal relations, or both, in yeast and Drosophila. ..
- Fischer J, Giniger E, Maniatis T, Ptashne M. GAL4 activates transcription in Drosophila. Nature. 1988;332:853-6 pubmed..Here we show that GAL4, when expressed in particular tissues of Drosophila larvae, stimulates tissue-specific transcription of a Drosophila promoter linked to GAL4 binding sites. ..
- Carpenter A. Mismatch repair, gene conversion, and crossing-over in two recombination-defective mutants of Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1982;79:5961-5 pubmed..decrease drastically the frequency of meiotic crossing-over do not decrease the frequency of gene conversion at the rosy locus...
- Clark S, Hilliker A, Chovnick A. Recombination can initiate and terminate at a large number of sites within the rosy locus of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1988;118:261-6 pubmed..of special sites for the initiation or termination of a recombination heteroduplex within the region of the rosy locus...
- Beumer K, Bhattacharyya G, Bibikova M, Trautman J, Carroll D. Efficient gene targeting in Drosophila with zinc-finger nucleases. Genetics. 2006;172:2391-403 pubmedThis report describes high-frequency germline gene targeting at two genomic loci in Drosophila melanogaster, y and ry. In the best case, nearly all induced parents produced mutant progeny; 25% of their offspring were new mutants and most ..
- Gratz S, Cummings A, Nguyen J, Hamm D, Donohue L, Harrison M, et al. Genome engineering of Drosophila with the CRISPR RNA-guided Cas9 nuclease. Genetics. 2013;194:1029-35 pubmed publisher..This RNA-guided Cas9 system can be rapidly programmed to generate targeted alleles for probing gene function in Drosophila. ..
- McMahan S, Kohl K, Sekelsky J. Variation in meiotic recombination frequencies between allelic transgenes inserted at different sites in the Drosophila melanogaster genome. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:1419-27 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that local sequence or chromatin features have a stronger impact on recombination rates in this transgene assay than position along the chromosome arm...
- Doyle W, Burke J, Chovnick A, Dutton F, Whittle J, Bray R. Properties of xanthine dehydrogenase variants from rosy mutant strains of Drosophila melanogaster and their relevance to the enzyme's structure and mechanism. Eur J Biochem. 1996;239:782-95 pubmedb>Xanthine dehydrogenase, a molybdenum, iron-sulfur flavoenzyme encoded in the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster by the rosy gene, has been characterised both from the wild-type and mutant files...
- Reaume A, Clark S, Chovnick A. Xanthine dehydrogenase is transported to the Drosophila eye. Genetics. 1989;123:503-9 pubmedThe rosy (ry) locus in Drosophila melanogaster codes for the enzyme xanthine dehydrogenase. Mutants that have no enzyme activity are characterized by a brownish eye color phenotype reflecting a deficiency in the red eye pigment...
- Blanton H, Radford S, McMahan S, Kearney H, Ibrahim J, Sekelsky J. REC, Drosophila MCM8, drives formation of meiotic crossovers. PLoS Genet. 2005;1:e40 pubmed
- Beumer K, Trautman J, Bozas A, Liu J, Rutter J, Gall J, et al. Efficient gene targeting in Drosophila by direct embryo injection with zinc-finger nucleases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:19821-6 pubmed publisher..The injection procedure is much more rapid than earlier approaches and makes possible the generation and recovery of targeted gene alterations at essentially any locus within 2 fly generations. ..
- Porter J, Montell C. Distinct roles of the Drosophila ninaC kinase and myosin domains revealed by systematic mutagenesis. J Cell Biol. 1993;122:601-12 pubmed
- Mismer D, Rubin G. Analysis of the promoter of the ninaE opsin gene in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1987;116:565-78 pubmed..Examination of larvae containing fusion genes expressing beta-galactosidase suggests that the ninaE gene is also expressed in a subset of cells in the larval photoreceptor organ. ..
- Radford S, Sabourin M, McMahan S, Sekelsky J. Meiotic recombination in Drosophila Msh6 mutants yields discontinuous gene conversion tracts. Genetics. 2007;176:53-62 pubmed..We suggest that these discontinuities reflect the activity of a short-patch repair system that operates when canonical MMR is defective. ..
- Ambegaokar S, Jackson G. Interaction between eye pigment genes and tau-induced neurodegeneration in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2010;186:435-42 pubmed publisher..but not scarlet, enhance a rough eye phenotype in a Drosophila melanogaster model of tauopathy; however, adding rosy mutations suppresses these effects...
- Hilliker A, Harauz G, Reaume A, Gray M, Clark S, Chovnick A. Meiotic gene conversion tract length distribution within the rosy locus of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1994;137:1019-26 pubmedEmploying extensive co-conversion data for selected and unselected sites of known molecular location in the rosy locus of Drosophila. we determine the parameters of meiotic gene conversion tract length distribution...
- Bender W, Spierer P, Hogness D. Chromosomal walking and jumping to isolate DNA from the Ace and rosy loci and the bithorax complex in Drosophila melanogaster. J Mol Biol. 1983;168:17-33 pubmed..The walk includes the DNA for the rosy and Ace loci, which code for xanthine dehydrogenase and acetylcholinesterase, respectively. Several dispersed repetitive elements were encountered in the walk...
- Reaume A, Knecht D, Chovnick A. The rosy locus in Drosophila melanogaster: xanthine dehydrogenase and eye pigments. Genetics. 1991;129:1099-109 pubmedThe rosy gene in Drosophila melanogaster codes for the enzyme xanthine dehydrogenase (XDH). Mutants that have no enzyme activity are characterized by a brownish eye color phenotype reflecting a deficiency in the red eye pigment...
- Curtis D, Bender W. Gene conversion in Drosophila and the effects of the meiotic mutants mei-9 and mei-218. Genetics. 1991;127:739-46 pubmed..Some unusual conversion events were found in the mei-218 and mei-9 samples, although most events were indistinguishable from wild-type tracts in their length and continuity. ..
- Gelbart W, McCarron M, Chovnick A. Extension of the limits of the XDH structural element in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1976;84:211-32 pubmedExperiments expanding the array of mutants affecting the xanthine dehydrogenase (XDH) structural element in Drosophila melanogaster are described...
- Porter J, Hicks J, Williams D, Montell C. Differential localizations of and requirements for the two Drosophila ninaC kinase/myosins in photoreceptor cells. J Cell Biol. 1992;116:683-93 pubmed..This suggests that the p174 myosin-I type tail is the domain responsible for association with the rhabdomeres and that the substrate for the p174 putative kinase may be a rhabdomeric protein important in photo-transduction. ..
- Begun D, Aquadro C. Levels of naturally occurring DNA polymorphism correlate with recombination rates in D. melanogaster. Nature. 1992;356:519-20 pubmed..Hitch-hiking thus seems to occur over a large fraction of the Drosophila genome and may constitute a major constraint on levels of genetic variation in nature. ..
- Hilliker A, Clark S, Chovnick A. The effect of DNA sequence polymorphisms on intragenic recombination in the rosy locus of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1991;129:779-81 pubmedThe effect of simple DNA sequence polymorphisms on intragenic recombination in the rosy locus of Drosophila melanogaster was assayed...
- Mitchell K, Doyle J, Serafini T, Kennedy T, Tessier Lavigne M, Goodman C, et al. Genetic analysis of Netrin genes in Drosophila: Netrins guide CNS commissural axons and peripheral motor axons. Neuron. 1996;17:203-15 pubmed..Expression of either Netrin gene in all muscles also results in aberrant motor projections. Thus, Drosophila Netrins are required for the guidance of commissural axons at the midline, and of motor axons to their target muscles. ..
- Halder G, Callaerts P, Flister S, Walldorf U, Kloter U, Gehring W. Eyeless initiates the expression of both sine oculis and eyes absent during Drosophila compound eye development. Development. 1998;125:2181-91 pubmed..Recent studies in vertebrate systems indicate that the epistatic relationships among the corresponding vertebrate homologs are very similar to those observed in Drosophila. ..
- Crandall K, Templeton A. Empirical tests of some predictions from coalescent theory with applications to intraspecific phylogeny reconstruction. Genetics. 1993;134:959-69 pubmed
- Harrison D, Geyer P, Spana C, Corces V. The gypsy retrotransposon of Drosophila melanogaster: mechanisms of mutagenesis and interaction with the suppressor of Hairy-wing locus. Dev Genet. 1989;10:239-48 pubmed..This interaction is dependent on the binding of the su(Hw) protein to the specific gypsy sequences involved in the induction of the mutant phenotype. ..
- Percival Smith A, Weber J, Gilfoyle E, Wilson P. Genetic characterization of the role of the two HOX proteins, Proboscipedia and Sex Combs Reduced, in determination of adult antennal, tarsal, maxillary palp and proboscis identities in Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 1997;124:5049-62 pubmed..This study characterizes a combinatorial interaction between two HOX proteins; a mechanism that may have a major role in patterning the anterior-posterior axis of other animals. ..
- Morcillo P, Tuttle R, MacIntyre R. The use of transposable P-elements of Drosophila melanogaster for introductory genetics laboratory courses. J Hered. 1996;87:399-403 pubmed..The results of a preliminary test with a beginning genetics laboratory are presented. The inserts exhibit excellent Mendelian ratios in F2 and backcross progeny and were reproducibly mapped by different student groups. ..
- Sawyer L, Hennessy J, Peixoto A, Rosato E, Parkinson H, Costa R, et al. Natural variation in a Drosophila clock gene and temperature compensation. Science. 1997;278:2117-20 pubmed..This phenomenon provides a selective explanation for the geographical distribution of Thr-Gly lengths and gives a rare glimpse of the interplay between molecular polymorphism, behavior, population biology, and natural selection. ..
- Blackman R, Koehler M, Grimaila R, Gelbart W. Identification of a fully-functional hobo transposable element and its use for germ-line transformation of Drosophila. EMBO J. 1989;8:211-7 pubmed
- Hodgetts R, Patel M, Piorecky J, Swan A, Spencer C. Identification of a sequence motif upstream of the Drosophila dopa decarboxylase gene that enhances heterologous gene expression. Genome. 1994;37:526-34 pubmed..abstract truncated at 250 words) ..
- Sun X, Tso J, Lis J, Wu R. Differential regulation of the two glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase genes during Drosophila development. Mol Cell Biol. 1988;8:5200-5 pubmed..The principle regulatory sequences of Gapdh-2 reside upstream of the translation start, while the principle sequences specifying the level and developmental pattern of Gapdh-1 expression reside downstream of the translation start. ..
- Locke J, McDermid H. Analysis of Drosophila chromosome 4 using pulsed field gel electrophoresis. Chromosoma. 1993;102:718-23 pubmed..Our simple DNA preparation from embryos and PFGE conditions should permit preparative isolation of chromosome 4 DNA and will facilitate the molecular mapping of this chromosome...
- Bowtell D, Kimmel B, Simon M, Rubin G. Regulation of the complex pattern of sevenless expression in the developing Drosophila eye. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:6245-9 pubmed..Thus the complex pattern of sevenless expression is redundantly encoded within proximal promoter sequences and enhancer elements internal to the gene but relies on these enhancer sequences for correct quantitative expression. ..
- Aquadro C, Lado K, Noon W. The rosy region of Drosophila melanogaster and Drosophila simulans. I. Contrasting levels of naturally occurring DNA restriction map variation and divergence. Genetics. 1988;119:875-88 pubmedA 40-kb region around the rosy and snake loci was analyzed for restriction map variation among 60 lines of Drosophila melanogaster and 30 lines of Drosophila simulans collected together at a single locality in Raleigh, North Carolina...
- Roark M, Raghavan K, Todo T, Mayeda C, Meyerowitz E. Cooperative enhancement at the Drosophila Sgs-3 locus. Dev Biol. 1990;139:121-33 pubmed..These two regulatory elements can confer a salivary gland-specific pattern of expression on a heterologous promoter and are also sufficient to drive gene expression in other Drosophila species, implying conservation of regulators. ..
- Pankotai T, Komonyi O, Bodai L, Ujfaludi Z, Muratoglu S, Ciurciu A, et al. The homologous Drosophila transcriptional adaptors ADA2a and ADA2b are both required for normal development but have different functions. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:8215-27 pubmed..Moreover, the two ADA2s are differently required for the expression of the rosy gene, involved in eye pigment production, and for Dmp53-mediated apoptosis...
- Rodr guez Trelles F, Tarr o R, Ayala F. Evidence for a high ancestral GC content in Drosophila. Mol Biol Evol. 2000;17:1710-7 pubmed publisher..The analysis of eight nuclear genes unambiguously corroborates that the common ancestor of Sophophora had an elevated GC content...
- Geiger Thornsberry G, Mackay T. Quantitative trait loci affecting natural variation in Drosophila longevity. Mech Ageing Dev. 2004;125:179-89 pubmed..Several genes that regulate life span (e.g., Superoxide dismutase, Catalase, and rosy) complemented the life span effects of wild-derived alleles, suggesting little natural variation affecting ..
- Rongo C, Gavis E, Lehmann R. Localization of oskar RNA regulates oskar translation and requires Oskar protein. Development. 1995;121:2737-46 pubmed..We propose that initially localization of oskar RNA permits translation into Oskar protein and that subsequently Oskar protein regulates its own RNA localization through a positive feedback mechanism. ..
- Nishida Y, Hata M, Ayaki T, Ryo H, Yamagata M, Shimizu K, et al. Proliferation of both somatic and germ cells is affected in the Drosophila mutants of raf proto-oncogene. EMBO J. 1988;7:775-81 pubmed..Maternal effects on embryogenesis indicated that Draf-1 is also required in early larval development. ..
- Biggin M. To bind or not to bind. Nat Genet. 2001;28:303-4 pubmed..Genome-wide surveys of DNA binding by transcription factors in vivo are beginning to provide some answers. ..
- Barges S, Mihaly J, Galloni M, Hagstrom K, Muller M, Shanower G, et al. The Fab-8 boundary defines the distal limit of the bithorax complex iab-7 domain and insulates iab-7 from initiation elements and a PRE in the adjacent iab-8 domain. Development. 2000;127:779-90 pubmed..Fab-8 together with the previously identified Fab-7 boundary delimit the first genetically defined higher order domain in a multicellular eukaryote. ..
- Duncker B, Chen C, Davies P, Walker V. Antifreeze protein does not confer cold tolerance to transgenic Drosophila melanogaster. Cryobiology. 1995;32:521-7 pubmed..We attribute these observations to the expression of the xanthine dehydrogenase marker gene used to identify transgenics, rather than the production of AFP...
- Chi T, Kim M, Lang S, Bose N, Kahn A, Flechner L, et al. A Drosophila model identifies a critical role for zinc in mineralization for kidney stone disease. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0124150 pubmed publisher..Here we establish a Drosophila melanogaster model for ectopic calcification by inhibiting xanthine dehydrogenase whose deficiency leads to kidney stones in humans and dogs...
- Yu Q, Jacquier A, Citri Y, Hamblen M, Hall J, Rosbash M. Molecular mapping of point mutations in the period gene that stop or speed up biological clocks in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1987;84:784-8 pubmed..The functional significance of these changes is discussed with reference to the phenotypes of the two mutations. ..
- Raghavan K, Crosby M, Mathers P, Meyerowitz E. Sequences sufficient for correct regulation of Sgs-3 lie close to or within the gene. EMBO J. 1986;5:3321-6 pubmed..We show here that sequences sufficient for normal tissue- and stage-specific accumulation of Sgs-3 RNA, but adequate only for low levels of expression, lie within 130 bp of the 5' end of the gene, or within the gene. ..
- Kobayashi S, Kitamura T, Sasaki H, Okada M. Two types of pole cells are present in the Drosophila embryo, one with and one without splicing activity for the third P-element intron. Development. 1993;117:885-93 pubmed
- Tauber E, Roe H, Costa R, Hennessy J, Kyriacou C. Temporal mating isolation driven by a behavioral gene in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2003;13:140-5 pubmed
- Navarro Sabate A, Aguade M, Segarra C. The acid phosphatase-1 gene region in the Drosophila species of the subobscura cluster. Hereditas. 1999;130:65-75 pubmed..madeirensis and D. subobscura. These phylogenetic relationships are, however, not supported by divergence at nonsynonymous sites since the lowest Ka estimate is between D. guanche and D. subobscura. ..
- Schotta G, Reuter G. Controlled expression of tagged proteins in Drosophila using a new modular P-element vector system. Mol Gen Genet. 2000;262:916-20 pubmed..We found preferential association of the tagged SU(VAR)3-9 with centric heterochromatin. ..
- Schwartz C, Locke J, Nishida C, Kornberg T. Analysis of cubitus interruptus regulation in Drosophila embryos and imaginal disks. Development. 1995;121:1625-35 pubmed..We suggest that engrailed protein directly represses ci expression in posterior compartment cells. ..
- Tarr o R, Rodr guez Trelles F, Ayala F. Shared nucleotide composition biases among species and their impact on phylogenetic reconstructions of the Drosophilidae. Mol Biol Evol. 2001;18:1464-73 pubmed publisher..Our analyses confidently place the Chymomyza genus as an outgroup closer than the genus Scaptodrosophila to the Drosophila genus and conclusively support the monophyly of the Sophophora subgenus...
- O Brien M, Roberts M, Taghert P. A genetic and molecular analysis of the 46C chromosomal region surrounding the FMRFamide neuropeptide gene in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1994;137:121-37 pubmed
- Bretscher M. Expression and changing distribution of the human transferrin receptor in developing Drosophila oocytes and embryos. J Cell Sci. 1996;109 ( Pt 13):3113-9 pubmed
- Ellis M, O Neill E, Rubin G. Expression of Drosophila glass protein and evidence for negative regulation of its activity in non-neuronal cells by another DNA-binding protein. Development. 1993;119:855-65 pubmed..Our results suggest that nonsensory cells are unable to express certain reporter constructs in response to Glass expression because another DNA-binding factor represses Glass activity in nonsensory cells. ..
- Chung H, Shaffer C, MacIntyre R. Molecular characterization of the lysosomal acid phosphatase from Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1996;250:635-46 pubmed..Amino acid sequence comparisons have revealed several highly conserved motifs between Drosophila Acph-1 and vertebrate lysosomal and prostatic acid phosphatases. ..
- Zachar Z, Kramer J, Mims I, Bingham P. Evidence for channeled diffusion of pre-mRNAs during nuclear RNA transport in metazoans. J Cell Biol. 1993;121:729-42 pubmed..We propose a simple model--based on channeled diffusion--for organization of intranuclear transport and metabolism of pre-mRNAs in polytene nuclei. We argue that this model can be generalized to all metazoan nuclei. ..
- Wakimoto B, Kalfayan L, Spradling A. Developmentally regulated expression of Drosophila chorion genes introduced at diverse chromosomal positions. J Mol Biol. 1986;187:33-45 pubmed..Finally, egg chamber-specific amplification was induced at the site of two s38-1 insertions, suggesting that an amplification control element resides near this gene. ..
- Courchesne Smith C, Tobin S. Tissue-specific expression of the 79B actin gene during Drosophila development. Dev Biol. 1989;133:313-21 pubmed..In addition, the 79B actin gene is expressed in muscles which support the head and abdomen, in the scutellar pulsatile organ, and in abdominal muscles which are present only in male flies. ..
- Frolov M, Benevolenskaya E, Birchler J. The oxen gene of Drosophila encodes a homolog of subunit 9 of yeast ubiquinol-cytochrome c oxidoreductase complex: evidence for modulation of gene expression in response to mitochondrial activity. Genetics. 2000;156:1727-36 pubmed..The oxen mutation provides a model for the genetic analysis in multicellular organisms of the effect of mitochondrial activity on nuclear gene expression...
- Ko W, David R, Akashi H. Molecular phylogeny of the Drosophila melanogaster species subgroup. J Mol Evol. 2003;57:562-73 pubmed publisher..regions of the Alcohol dehydrogenase (Adh), Alcohol dehydrogenase related (Adhr), Glucose dehydrogenase (Gld), and rosy (ry) genes (totaling 7164 bp) from six melanogaster subgroup species (D. melanogaster, D. simulans, D. teissieri, D...
- Lv X, Han Z, Chen H, Yang B, Yang X, Xia Y, et al. A positive role for polycomb in transcriptional regulation via H4K20me1. Cell Res. 2016;26:529-42 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study reveals that, coupling with the transcription factor Br, Pc positively regulates transcription of Pc(+)H3K27me3(+)H4K20me1(+) genes in developing Drosophila wing disc. ..
- Lee C, Curtis D, McCarron M, Love C, Gray M, Bender W, et al. Mutations affecting expression of the rosy locus in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1987;116:55-66 pubmedThe rosy locus in Drosophila melanogaster codes for the enzyme xanthine dehydrogenase (XDH)...
- Ebert A, Schotta G, Lein S, Kubicek S, Krauss V, Jenuwein T, et al. Su(var) genes regulate the balance between euchromatin and heterochromatin in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2973-83 pubmed
- Keller E, Glassman E. A THIRD LOCUS (LXD) AFFECTING XANTHINE DEHYDROGENASE IN DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER. Genetics. 1964;49:663-8 pubmed
- Calvi B, Spradling A. The nuclear location and chromatin organization of active chorion amplification origins. Chromosoma. 2001;110:159-72 pubmed..We discuss the implications of these results for understanding the role of higher order structure in amplification and chromosome duplication. ..
- Struhl G, Adachi A. Nuclear access and action of notch in vivo. Cell. 1998;93:649-60 pubmed
- Bentley M, Williamson J, Oliver M. The effects of molybate, tungstate and lxd on aldehyde oxidase and xanthine dehydrogenase in Drosophila melanogaster. Can J Genet Cytol. 1981;23:597-609 pubmedThe effects of dietary sodium molybdate and sodium tungstate on eye color and aldehyde oxidase and xanthine dehydrogenase activities have been determined in Drosophila melanogaster...
- Schneuwly S, Klemenz R, Gehring W. Redesigning the body plan of Drosophila by ectopic expression of the homoeotic gene Antennapedia. Nature. 1987;325:816-8 pubmed..By ectopic overexpression of the Antp protein the body plan of the fruit fly can be altered in a predictable way. ..
- Li H, Montell C. TRP and the PDZ protein, INAD, form the core complex required for retention of the signalplex in Drosophila photoreceptor cells. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:1411-22 pubmed..Rather, the primary function of the TRP/ INAD complex is to form the core unit required for localization of the signalplex to the rhabdomeres. ..
- Brady J, Richmond R, Oakeshott J. Cloning of the esterase-5 locus from Drosophila pseudoobscura and comparison with its homologue in D. melanogaster. Mol Biol Evol. 1990;7:525-46 pubmed publisher..The patterns of nucleotide substitutions and amino acid replacements between Est-5B and Est-6 are consistent with the hypothesis that mutation and genetic drift are responsible for the differences between these two genes...
- Yu D, Ponomarev A, Davis R. Altered representation of the spatial code for odors after olfactory classical conditioning; memory trace formation by synaptic recruitment. Neuron. 2004;42:437-49 pubmed..The rapid recruitment by conditioning of new synapses into the representation of sensory information may be a general mechanism underlying many forms of short-term memory. ..
- Otto E, Allen J, Young J, Palmiter R, Maroni G. A DNA segment controlling metal-regulated expression of the Drosophila melanogaster metallothionein gene Mtn. Mol Cell Biol. 1987;7:1710-5 pubmed..The function of the D. melanogaster metallothionein promoter in mammalian cells indicates that the mechanism controlling metal regulation is evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Royzman I, Austin R, Bosco G, Bell S, Orr Weaver T. ORC localization in Drosophila follicle cells and the effects of mutations in dE2F and dDP. Genes Dev. 1999;13:827-40 pubmed..The effect of the mutations in the heterodimer subunits suggests that E2F controls not only the onset of S phase but also origin activity within S phase. ..
- Roth G, Wattler S, Bornschein H, Lehmann M, Korge G. Structure and regulation of the salivary gland secretion protein gene Sgs-1 of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1999;153:753-62 pubmed..This has implications for the model of how Sgs transcripts accumulate in late third instar larvae. ..
- Jennings B, Tyler D, Bray S. Target specificities of Drosophila enhancer of split basic helix-loop-helix proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:4600-10 pubmed