Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: RpII18
Description: RNA polymerase II 18kD subunit
Alias: BcDNA:RH21608, CG1163, Dm6, Dmel\CG1163, Pol II, PolII, RNA Pol II, RNA pol II, RNA polII, RNAP, RNAP II, RNApolII, RPB6_DROME, RPII18, RpABC14, Rpll18, pol II, polII, CG1163-PA, RNA polymerase II, RNA polymerase II (18-kDa subunit), RNA-polymerase ABC 14kD subunit, RpII18-PA
Species: fruit fly
- SAYP interacts with DHR3 nuclear receptor and participates in ecdysone-dependent transcription regulationNadezhda E Vorobyeva
Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Cell Cycle 10:1821-7. 2011..The knockdown of SAYP leads to a decrease in the level of DHR3-activated transcription. DHR3 and SAYP interact during development and have multiple common targets across the genome...
- Flavopiridol inhibits P-TEFb and blocks HIV-1 replicationS H Chao
Molecular Biology Program and the Department of Biochemistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Biol Chem 275:28345-8. 2000..We found that the flavonoid potently inhibited transcription by RNA polymerase II in vitro by blocking the transition into productive elongation, a step controlled by P-TEFb...
- NAD+-dependent modulation of chromatin structure and transcription by nucleosome binding properties of PARP-1Mi Young Kim
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Cell 119:803-14. 2004..Thus, PARP-1 functions both as a structural component of chromatin and a modulator of chromatin structure through its intrinsic enzymatic activity...
- Dominant-negative mutants reveal a role for the Cdk7 kinase at the mid-blastula transition in Drosophila embryosV Leclerc
Institute of Signaling, Developmental Biology and Cancer Research, UMR 6543 CNRS, Centre de Biochimie, Parc Valrose, 06108 Nice, Cedex 2, France
EMBO J 19:1567-75. 2000..found in the transcription factor complex TFIIH, suggesting that it participates in vivo in the control of RNA polymerase II. We have examined the physiological role of Cdk7 during the course of Drosophila development...
- The Drosophila brahma complex is an essential coactivator for the trithorax group protein zesteA J Kal
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, MGC, Centre for Biomedical Genetics, Leiden University Medical Centre, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
Genes Dev 14:1058-71. 2000..These results establish that different chromatin remodeling factors display distinct functional properties and provide novel insights into the mechanism of their targeting...
- The RRM protein NonA from Drosophila forms a complex with the RRM proteins Hrb87F and S5 and the Zn finger protein PEP on hnRNAI Reim
Institut für Biologie Abt Zytogenetik, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Berlin, D 10115, Germany
Exp Cell Res 253:573-86. 1999..Like NonA, X4/PEP, S5, and P11/Hrb87F are present on active sites on polytene chromosomes. The precipitated NonA complex is enriched for certain protein encoding RNAs, notably, histone H3 and H4 RNA...
- germ cell-less is required only during the establishment of the germ cell lineage of Drosophila and has activities which are dependent and independent of its localization to the nuclear envelopeS E Robertson
Department of Genetics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6069, USA
Dev Biol 215:288-97. 1999..These results indicate that gcl acts in at least two different ways during the establishment of the germ cell lineage...
- Flavopiridol inactivates P-TEFb and blocks most RNA polymerase II transcription in vivoS H Chao
Molecular Biology Program, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Biol Chem 276:31793-9. 2001..We examined the ability of flavopiridol to inhibit P-TEFb (Cdk9/cyclin T1) phosphorylation of both RNA polymerase II and the large subunit of the 5, 6-dichloro-1-beta-D-ribofuranosylbenzimidazole (DRB) sensitivity-inducing ..
- Mediator, not holoenzyme, is directly recruited to the heat shock promoter by HSF upon heat shockJ M Park
National Creative Research Initiative Center for Genome Regulation, Department of Biochemistry, Yonsei University, 120 749, Seoul, South Korea
Mol Cell 8:9-19. 2001Activators of RNA polymerase II (Pol II) transcription have been shown to bind several coactivators and basal factors in vitro...
- Genetic and molecular characterization of a variegating hsp70-acZ fusion gene in the euchromatic 31 B region of Drosophila melanogasterP Morcillo
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Genome 44:698-707. 2001..However, other modifiers of PEV did not affect the expression pattern of the gene. These results show a novel euchromatic tissue-specific variegation that is not associated with classical heterochromatic PEV...
- The Drosophila BRM complex facilitates global transcription by RNA polymerase IIJennifer A Armstrong
Department of Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, University of California Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
EMBO J 21:5245-54. 2002..Reduction of BRM function dramatically reduces the association of RNA polymerase II with salivary gland chromosomes...
- germ cell-less acts to repress transcription during the establishment of the Drosophila germ cell lineageJudith L Leatherman
Cell and Molecular Biology Graduate Program, University of Pennsylvania Shool of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6100, USA
Curr Biol 12:1681-5. 2002....
- Identification of a novel isoform of Cdk9Sarah M Shore
Department of Biochemistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Gene 307:175-82. 2003Positive transcription factor b (P-TEFb) is required for RNA polymerase II to make the transition from abortive to productive elongation...
- Transcription factor and polymerase recruitment, modification, and movement on dhsp70 in vivo in the minutes following heat shockAmber K Boehm
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:7628-37. 2003..Here we examine the rapid changes upon heat shock in levels and location of heat shock factor (HSF), RNA polymerase II (Pol II) and its phosphorylated forms, and the Pol II kinase P-TEFb on hsp70 in vivo by using both real-time ..
- Analysis of polymerase II elongation complexes by native gel electrophoresis. Evidence for a novel carboxyl-terminal domain-mediated termination mechanismZhiqiang Zhang
Center for Gene Regulation, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
J Biol Chem 279:23223-8. 2004..approach using native gel electrophoresis for studying interactions of elongation factors with isolated Pol II elongation complexes. The gel distinguishes Pol IIA and Pol IIB containing complexes...
- Genome-scale profiling of histone H3.3 replacement patternsYoshiko Mito
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Nat Genet 37:1090-7. 2005..3 replacement over active genes and transposons. H3.3 replacement occurred prominently at sites of abundant RNA polymerase II and methylated H3 Lys4 throughout the genome and was enhanced on the dosage-compensated male X chromosome...
- Pcf11 is a termination factor in Drosophila that dismantles the elongation complex by bridging the CTD of RNA polymerase II to the nascent transcriptZhiqiang Zhang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Center for Gene Regulation, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Mol Cell 21:65-74. 2006The mechanism by which Pol II terminates transcription in metazoans is not understood. We show that Pcf11 is directly involved in termination in Drosophila...
- Dynamics of heat shock factor association with native gene loci in living cellsJie Yao
Field of Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
Nature 442:1050-3. 2006..After heat shock, we have visualized the recruitment of RNA polymerase II (Pol II) to native hsp70 gene loci 87A and 87C in real time...
- Promoter elements associated with RNA Pol II stalling in the Drosophila embryoDavid A Hendrix
Department Molecular and Cell Biology, Division of Genetics, Genomics, and Development, Center for Integrative Genomics, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:7762-7. 2008b>RNA Polymerase II (Pol II) is bound to the promoter regions of many or most developmental control genes before their activation during Drosophila embryogenesis...
- Mesoderm-determining transcription in Drosophila is alleviated by mutations in TAF(II)60 and TAF(II)110A D Pham
Zentrum fur Molekulare Biologie der Universitat Heidelberg, Germany
Mech Dev 84:3-16. 1999..The results provide evidence that TAF(II)-subunits within the TFIID complex play an important role during the molecular events leading to initiation of mesoderm formation in Drosophila...
- Promoter-associated pausing in promoter architecture and postinitiation transcriptional regulationJ Lis
Section of Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 63:347-56. 1998
- Locus-specific variation in phosphorylation state of RNA polymerase II in vivo: correlations with gene activity and transcript processingJ R Weeks
Department of Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710
Genes Dev 7:2329-44. 1993..CTDs), respectively, we have visualized the in vivo distributions of the differentially phosphorylated forms of Pol II on Drosophila polytene chromosomes...
- Four subunits that are shared by the three classes of RNA polymerase are functionally interchangeable between Homo sapiens and Saccharomyces cerevisiaeG V Shpakovski
Departement de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Commissariat à l Energie Atomique Saclay, Gif sur Yvette, France
Mol Cell Biol 15:4702-10. 1995..suppressors of rpo21-4, a mutation generating a slowly growing yeast defective in the largest subunit of RNA polymerase II. Finally, a doubly chimeric S...
- Bending DNA can repress a eukaryotic basal promoter and inhibit TFIID bindingA TenHarmsel
Department of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8114, USA
Mol Cell Biol 15:5492-8. 1995..binding and leads to the formation of a DNA loop which encompasses the DNA sequences normally bound by the RNA polymerase II general transcription factors...
- A cytological and molecular analysis of Adh gene expression in Drosophila melanogaster polytene chromosomesN Visa
Departament de Genetica, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
Chromosoma 97:171-7. 1988..The presence of RNA polymerase II in this puff as well as its ability to incorporate tritiated uridine shows that it corresponds to a ..
- Fractionation of the general RNA polymerase II transcription factors from Drosophila embryosS L Wampler
Department of Biology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093
J Biol Chem 265:21223-31. 1990We have subdivided the components of the basic RNA polymerase II machinery from Drosophila embryos into three fractions and RNA polymerase II. The RNA polymerase II was 90% homogeneous and possessed the IIa form of the largest subunit...
- Transcription elongation and eukaryotic gene regulationC A Spencer
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104
Oncogene 5:777-85. 1990Each step in the synthesis of functional transcript by RNA polymerase II provides a level at which gene expression can be regulated...
- A Drosophila anti-RNA polymerase II antibody recognizes a plant nucleolar antigen, RNA polymerase I, which is mostly localized in fibrillar centresM Martin
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas CSIC, Madrid, Spain
J Cell Sci 100:99-107. 1991..onion root meristematic cells has been studied by means of an antibody originally raised against Drosophila RNA polymerase II. This antibody recognizes the homologous domains of the large subunit of the enzyme, which are highly ..
- Comparative analysis of four parameters involved in puffing activity along chromosome arm 2L of D melanogasterN Visa
Departament de Biologia Cellular i Fisiologia, Facultat de Ciencies, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, Spain
Biol Cell 73:71-8. 1991..On the other hand, puffs of similar size incorporate 3H-uridine at quite different rates. The presence of RNA polymerase II seems to follow a coincident pattern with that of 3H-uridine incorporation...
- Reverse genetics of Drosophila RNA polymerase II: identification and characterization of RpII140, the genomic locus for the second-largest subunitB J Hamilton
Department of Biochemistry, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27710
Genetics 134:517-29. 1993We have used a reverse genetics approach to isolate genes encoding two subunits of Drosophila melanogaster RNA polymerase II. RpII18 encodes the 18-kDa subunit and maps cytogenetically to polytene band region 83A...
- In vivo transcriptional pausing and cap formation on three Drosophila heat shock genesE B Rasmussen
Section of Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:7923-7. 1993..On the uninduced hsp70 gene of Drosophila melanogaster, for example, an RNA polymerase II complex has initiated transcription but has paused early in elongation...
- Drosophila head segmentation factor buttonhead interacts with the same TATA box-binding protein-associated factors and in vivo DNA targets as human Sp1 but executes a different biological programF Schock
Max Planck Institut fur biophysikalische Chemie, Abteilung Molekulare Entwicklungsbiologie, Am Fassberg, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:5061-5. 1999....
- RNA processing. A tale of two tailsD Bentley
Nature 395:21-2. 1998
- Identification of a cyclin subunit required for the function of Drosophila P-TEFbJ Peng
Department of Biochemistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Biol Chem 273:13855-60. 1998..elongation and is capable of phosphorylating the carboxyl-terminal domain (CTD) of the largest subunit of RNA polymerase II. We cloned a cDNA encoding the large subunit of Drosophila P-TEFb and found the predicted protein contained ..
- Heat shock factor increases the reinitiation rate from potentiated chromatin templatesR Sandaltzopoulos
Gene Expression Programme, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 18:361-7. 1998Transcription by RNA polymerase II is highly regulated at the level of initiation and elongation...
- Transcriptionally repressed germ cells lack a subpopulation of phosphorylated RNA polymerase II in early embryos of Caenorhabditis elegans and Drosophila melanogasterG Seydoux
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205 2185, USA
Development 124:2191-201. 1997..mRNA production correlates with the absence of a specific phosphoepitope on the carboxy-terminal domain of RNA polymerase II. In both C...
- Purification of the Drosophila RNA polymerase II general transcription factorsR J Austin
Department of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Yale University, CT 06520 8114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:5788-92. 1996We describe a fractionation and purification scheme for the Drosophila RNA polymerase II general transcription factors...
- DNA template and activator-coactivator requirements for transcriptional synergism by Drosophila bicoidF Sauer
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley 94720 3204, USA
Science 270:1825-8. 1995..Thus, contact between multiple activation domains of BCD and different targets within the TFIID complex can mediate transcriptional synergism...
- Multiple TAFIIs directing synergistic activation of transcriptionF Sauer
Science 270:1783-8. 1995..Thus, the concerted action of multiple regulators with different coactivators helps to establish the pattern and level of segmentation gene transcription during Drosophila development...
- Stability of Drosophila RNA polymerase II elongation complexes in vitroD D Kephart
Department of Biochemistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242
Mol Cell Biol 12:2067-77. 1992We show that nuclear extract from Drosophila Kc cells supports efficient elongation by RNA polymerase II initiated from the actin 5C promoter. The addition of 0...